Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Lot of Christian symbolism

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also noticed a bit of religious symbolism, but I'm not going to try to drag Chloe and Tess and everyone else into this. Davis and Clark, however, are two pretty big ones. The Jor-El/Clark dynamic plays into the whole Father/Son thing, and obviously Davis is trying the whole "Catholic guilt" thing, as davidbrenton mentioned. The cross, too, is significant, as has been mentioned before.

I also find it interesting that the Antichrist is supposed to be a peacemaker who falls to the side of evil. Davis is a paramedic who helps people in pain, and it seems that as of "Infamous," he's decided to stop trying to run from his destiny. (He may still try to put it off, but rather than really trying to suppress the beast with pills, he now murders people to help himself.)

Another thing is that the Antichrist is supposed to be very Christ-like in a deceptive kind of way, and Davis describes himself as being a Kryptonian. However, while he is from Krypton, he's not the same as Kal-El. He's a destroyer, while Kal-El is a hero.

In the preview for next week's episode, it looks like Davis ended up being right there with Kal-El; this further marks them as foils, in a way, I think.

When I first heard Doomsday was going to be a kind paramedic struggling with a darkness within, I was skeptical; that was completely non-Doomsday-like. However, this season really made me like that aspect, and I think Davis' path is a really interesting one, especially in religious context.

I've always liked seeing Superman as a mythic figure (ironic, seeing as how my first real Superman experience was watching a show that tries to humanize him), so I'm all for comparing him to Christ. With Doomsday taking this route on SV, though, the Antichrist thing makes it all the more interesting to watch, I think.

Comment

he's not over thinking the christian symbolism at all. a big deal of superman is rooted in the figure of christ and his story. Jesus was God's only son sent to be our savior. Clark was sent by Jor-el as his only son to save the world. Like jesus, clark was raised by adoptive parents altough mary was the real mother of jesus. jesus had his temple and clark has the fortress of solitude as his temple. clark has this mystical voice and all powerful father as did jesus have an all powerful and mystical father/god. as said above, jesus dies in mary's arms just like how clark dies in lois's arms even though that is probably just a coincidence. as Christians are taught, jesus never sinned just like how Clark can almost never do evil. i could go on and on about the comparisons but i'll stop because this is about smallville not about religion and i'm not about to preach. but the comparisons are undeniable.

Comment

Originally posted by kryptonhero25
        he's not over thinking the christian symbolism at all. a big deal of superman is rooted in the figure of christ and his story. Jesus was God's only son sent to be our savior. Clark was sent by Jor-el as his only son to save the world. Like jesus, clark was raised by adoptive parents altough mary was the real mother of jesus. jesus had his temple and clark has the fortress of solitude as his temple. clark has this mystical voice and all powerful father as did jesus have an all powerful and mystical father/god. as said above, jesus dies in mary's arms just like how clark dies in lois's arms even though that is probably just a coincidence. as Christians are taught, jesus never sinned just like how Clark can almost never do evil. i could go on and on about the comparisons but i'll stop because this is about smallville not about religion and i'm not about to preach. but the comparisons are undeniable.
        I'm pretty sure everyone knows the similarities. But it's still overanalyzed at times. And just to be thorough, Jesus did not die in Mary's arms.

Comment

Originally posted by princessdiana
          Clark/Superman has always been associated with Christ. Al/Miles have talked about it regarding SV in the past. We of course have the "scarecrow" scene in the first episode. Veritas, the traveler etc.

I found it interesting how they used this symbolism in this episode starting with the the opening and the painting in the church of Christ dying in Mary Magdeline's arms much like the scene in The Death of Superman with Lois holding Superman.

Then we have Davis, the dark, fallen from heaven symbol of Satan. Chloe, is she Judas or Peter? Is Tess Pontius Pilate,(the gown was interesting at the end) or maybe she is Judas. She'll betray Clark with a kiss.

Very interesting.
          Hmm.

Can I add that Tess tried to "Delilah" her way into Clark's (Samson's) trust?

Comment

Clark/Superman has always been associated with Christ. Al/Miles have talked about it regarding SV in the past. We of course have the "scarecrow" scene in the first episode. Veritas, the traveler etc.

I found it interesting how they used this symbolism in this episode starting with the the opening and the painting in the church of Christ dying in Mary Magdeline's arms much like the scene in The Death of Superman with Lois holding Superman.

Then we have Davis, the dark, fallen from heaven symbol of Satan. Chloe, is she Judas or Peter? Is Tess Pontius Pilate,(the gown was interesting at the end) or maybe she is Judas. She'll betray Clark with a kiss.

Very interesting.
            Interesting observations. It'll be interesting to see if it turns out this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Skaterpen357
              I also noticed a bit of religious symbolism, but I'm not going to try to drag Chloe and Tess and everyone else into this. Davis and Clark, however, are two pretty big ones. The Jor-El/Clark dynamic plays into the whole Father/Son thing, and obviously Davis is trying the whole "Catholic guilt" thing, as davidbrenton mentioned. The cross, too, is significant, as has been mentioned before.

I also find it interesting that the Antichrist is supposed to be a peacemaker who falls to the side of evil. Davis is a paramedic who helps people in pain, and it seems that as of "Infamous," he's decided to stop trying to run from his destiny. (He may still try to put it off, but rather than really trying to suppress the beast with pills, he now murders people to help himself.)

Another thing is that the Antichrist is supposed to be very Christ-like in a deceptive kind of way, and Davis describes himself as being a Kryptonian. However, while he is from Krypton, he's not the same as Kal-El. He's a destroyer, while Kal-El is a hero.

In the preview for next week's episode, it looks like Davis ended up being right there with Kal-El; this further marks them as foils, in a way, I think.

When I first heard Doomsday was going to be a kind paramedic struggling with a darkness within, I was skeptical; that was completely non-Doomsday-like. However, this season really made me like that aspect, and I think Davis' path is a really interesting one, especially in religious context.

I've always liked seeing Superman as a mythic figure (ironic, seeing as how my first real Superman experience was watching a show that tries to humanize him), so I'm all for comparing him to Christ. With Doomsday taking this route on SV, though, the Antichrist thing makes it all the more interesting to watch, I think.
              I don't like the comparison of Davis as the Antichrist since Davis has no free will. He has no choice in the matter. And he doesn't want to hurt anyone. He's choosing the lesser of two evils. Even anyone is the antichrist it's Lex. Although Davis does foil Clark a lot. It's still a disturbing hought that there's nothing he could do about turning evil. Theonly way to stop the beast is to commit more evil acts. The whole lack of free will thing and being doomed to be evil no matter how hard you try is distrubing. But it seems they do have symbolism of redemption, with Davis holding the cross and then with Chloe stopping the transformation with a touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Just Another Guy
                I'm pretty sure everyone knows the similarities. But it's still overanalyzed at times. And just to be thorough, Jesus did not die in Mary's arms.
                I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that Jesus died in Mary's arms. Obviously, he died on the cross but I meant to say that Mary cradled him and held his dead body like how Lois did with Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by chlo-el
                  I don't like the comparison of Davis as the Antichrist since Davis has no free will. He has no choice in the matter. And he doesn't want to hurt anyone. He's choosing the lesser of two evils. Even anyone is the antichrist it's Lex. Although Davis does foil Clark a lot. It's still a disturbing hought that there's nothing he could do about turning evil. Theonly way to stop the beast is to commit more evil acts. The whole lack of free will thing and being doomed to be evil no matter how hard you try is distrubing. But it seems they do have symbolism of redemption, with Davis holding the cross and then with Chloe stopping the transformation with a touch.
                  I know it wouldn't work, and so does he, probably, but the writers made a conscious effort to show Davis throwing away his pills. They weren't doing a thing, but it was still a significant choice Davis made.

Besides, who says the Antichrist has free will?

If I had to compare outside of Clark and Davis, though, I'd say Lex is more a Judas, and Zod is Satan. But that's just me.

Davis' whole do evil to prevent evil thing is tragic, though. Makes Zod that much more Satan-like.

Comment

Wow, you did have some pretty interesting observations, princessdiana. I wouldn't have thought about the picture in that light, but it is pretty similar to the iconic Lois & dead Clark (killed by Doomsday) pose from the comics, and they were really playing up the religious overtones and imagery in that scene with Davis in confessional. I don't know that they were necessarily trying to typecast Chloe, Tess, and Jimmy into other Biblical character roles, but it would be intriguing if they really had meant to take things in that route, nonetheless. Very good food for thought!

--SGuthrie ><>' --

Comment

Here's my two cents on the parallels:

Jor-El = God: He sends his only son to save and protect mankind. He was also particularly vengeful in the early seasons (much like the Old Testament).

Clark/Supes = Jesus: For obvious reasons

Zod = Satan: Wants to rule Earth (and re-create Krypton, which would be like Satan ruling Heaven) and destroy humanity, which he sees as inferior.

Lex = Lucifer: Did not start out as bad, but falls from grace and embraces total darkness. Granted, this might ignore some stories from his youth (Reunion), but I choose to believe that he wasnt evil in the early going.

I would say that Doomsday is more or less a tool of Satan, given that he doesnt have free will in the end. No matter what you think of Davis's free will, the fact is that he cant fight it forever, so to me that means he has no free will. (although I do like Skaterpen's Antichrist analysis). As for everyone else, I'm not knowledgeable enough to make any comparisons there

I feel like I'm on the Supernatural board
                      Last edited by smeyer44; 03-20-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smeyer44
                        Here's my two cents on the parallels:

Jor-El = God: He sends his only son to save and protect mankind. He was also particularly vengeful in the early seasons (much like the Old Testament).

Clark/Supes = Jesus: For obvious reasons

Zod = Satan: Wants to rule Earth (and re-create Krypton, which would be like Satan ruling Heaven) and destroy humanity, which he sees as inferior.

Lex = Lucifer: Did not start out as bad, but falls from grace and embraces total darkness. Granted, this might ignore some stories from his youth (Reunion), but I choose to believe that he wasnt evil in the early going.

I would say that Doomsday is more or less a tool of Satan, given that he doesnt have free will in the end. No matter what you think of Davis's free will, the fact is that he cant fight it forever, so to me that means he has no free will.

I feel like I'm on the Supernatural board
                        Lucifer is Satan.

Comment

my bad, I even checked quick to see. Thats what I get for only reading the google seearch page. In my defense, there is some discussion as to whether that is true or not. But I will admit I'm wrong:

"To summarize, the Hebrew word helel is translated "Lucifer." He was cast out of heaven for his sin of pride and his desire to be God. Jesus referred to seeing Satan being cast out of heaven. Therefore, we can conclude that Lucifer and Satan are one and the same." - From some Bible site

Man, do I feel like a horse's patoot.

Well at least Lex is the Vessel
                          Last edited by smeyer44; 03-20-2009, 06:05 PM.

Comment

There is a book The gospels according to Superman about this.

Comment

Originally posted by smeyer44
                              my bad, I even checked quick to see. Thats what I get for only reading the google seearch page. In my defense, there is some discussion as to whether that is true or not. But I will admit I'm wrong:

"To summarize, the Hebrew word helel is translated "Lucifer." He was cast out of heaven for his sin of pride and his desire to be God. Jesus referred to seeing Satan being cast out of heaven. Therefore, we can conclude that Lucifer and Satan are one and the same." - From some Bible site

Man, do I feel like a horse's patoot.

Well at least Lex is the Vessel
                              Don't feel too bad about it. The name Lucifer is only used once in the Bible, rather vaguely. It takes a lot of understanding and studying to even know how the two can be one and the same. I do not have a lot of that understanding on my own, but there are people smarter than me who have studied and explained it, and I'm finally starting to see these things for myself.

Zod would still fit the bill, if we're looking to create an analogy. I suppose Lex would have to be Judas, in this version. Except that Judas immediately regretted his sins and committed suicide. Lex just keeps getting worse.

Comment

Very interesting.
                                There was definitely religious symbolism. But I don't think Davis is supposed to be Satan. I think he's supposed to be a character looking for redemption, and Chloe might be it.

I also don't think there was anything related to Lois and Superman in those images. I think it was all about Davis seeking salvation. Hence why he's standing in the rain and then looking up at Chloe.

She "saved" him.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by chlo-el
                                i don't like the comparison of davis as the antichrist since davis has no free will. He has no choice in the matter. And he doesn't want to hurt anyone. He's choosing the lesser of two evils. Even anyone is the antichrist it's lex. Although davis does foil clark a lot. It's still a disturbing hought that there's nothing he could do about turning evil. Theonly way to stop the beast is to commit more evil acts. The whole lack of free will thing and being doomed to be evil no matter how hard you try is distrubing. But it seems they do have symbolism of redemption, with davis holding the cross and then with chloe stopping the transformation with a touch.
                                i 100% agree.
                                Last edited by topping82; 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎