No announcement yet.

A Lot of Christian symbolism

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Lot of Christian symbolism

Clark/Superman has always been associated with Christ. Al/Miles have talked about it regarding SV in the past. We of course have the "scarecrow" scene in the first episode. Veritas, the traveler etc.

I found it interesting how they used this symbolism in this episode starting with the the opening and the painting in the church of Christ dying in Mary Magdeline's arms much like the scene in The Death of Superman with Lois holding Superman.

Then we have Davis, the dark, fallen from heaven symbol of Satan. Chloe, is she Judas or Peter? Is Tess Pontius Pilate,(the gown was interesting at the end) or maybe she is Judas. She'll betray Clark with a kiss.

Very interesting.

um deep? overthinking it a bit, there's symbolism but the show isn't an adaptation of the bible

Comment

Actually TPTB talked about this in season 1 and Superman has always been associated with Christ.

Comment

I agree that you're probably over thinking it. Some of the ideas from the bible are pretty general ideas that you can duplicate by accident pretty easily. For example: good verses evil, a hero coming from humble beginnings, a hero being raised by adoptive parents, somebody who used to a good guy descending into darkness and becoming the villain. A lot of these plot lines are even taken from mythology that predates the new testament.

Comment

If Davis thought he was doing God's work, why did he kill the nun (offscreen) in Prey? He still has her rosary hanging on his rear view mirror.

Comment

Well, not completely over thinking it. Al Mile admitted that Superman is symbolism of Christ. They showed that more in season 7.

And the religous symbolism in this ep was hard to ignore with Davis cross and him going to the priest. He was trying to feel human. It reminded me of Dare Devil. They have a lot of religous imagery. And then having him be the judge and excutioner.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
              If Davis thought he was doing God's work, why did he kill the nun (offscreen) in Prey? He still has her rosary hanging on his rear view mirror.
              Apparently she was an evil nun.

Comment

This is interesting. SR did this a great deal as well (Floating in christ's image to heal from the sun).

--I like the metaphors and symbolism....and can see how they can play the "catholic guilt" angle on Davis to heighten the urgency of his drama.

--It could also be religous satire in that the only religous person on Smallville is Doomsday...a symbolic form of the devil. That's funny.

It's interesting anyway you look at it really.

Comment

Zach is right about one thing. Every story is based on something rooted in the Bible. I think the Christianity comparison is interesting, because it admires Jesus, almost subconsciously. But I don't like it if it's emphasized intentionally, or it starts to become almost sacreligious, for lack of a better word. And I do think people read too much into it, based on the general standard of good vs. evil stories.

Comment

I kind of don't like how they always associate the Bible with the bad guys on Smallville. Lionel & Lex were the only ones who ever made biblical references in past seasons, & now it's Davis. Superman is often portrayed as a symbol or type of Christ, similar to Joseph or Melchizedek. But when Superman "died" & came back it cannot be compared to Christ's resurrection!

Comment

I actually thought the priest in this episode would make a good Jor-El voiceover replacement...he has the whole "My son" part down!

Comment

I do think they play with the religious imagery a bit with Superman but only to a point. Smallville doesn't really do it much but I admit that this episode had a lot of it. I don't think it was an accident either. I don't think that this is something that will happen constantly from here on out but I bet it will happen again in the finale.

The imagery between good and evil begs for it sometimes. Clark was clearly delineated as "good" both in deed and in words. Davis was a murderer and evil and the imagery of the devil came into play. The church scene at the beginning with the first scene showing Christ dead in Mary's arms, probably hinting at what's to come.

Comment

Taking into account the fact that Jerome Siegel and Joseph Shuster were both devout Jews, I'm not really surprised at the amount of symbolism in the Superman mythology. There's a ton of allusions to Scripture all over the place, from the names of the Kents (Jonathan and Martha), to Clark's Kryptonian name ("El" being a shortened form of Elohim, a Hebrew name for God). Plus you have Pete Ross, and villains named Apokalips and Doomsday, which both refer to the eventual Battle of Armageddon in the Book of Revelation.

Comment

Clark/Superman has always been associated with Christ. Al/Miles have talked about it regarding SV in the past. We of course have the "scarecrow" scene in the first episode. Veritas, the traveler etc.

I found it interesting how they used this symbolism in this episode starting with the the opening and the painting in the church of Christ dying in Mary Magdeline's arms much like the scene in The Death of Superman with Lois holding Superman.

Then we have Davis, the dark, fallen from heaven symbol of Satan. Chloe, is she Judas or Peter? Is Tess Pontius Pilate,(the gown was interesting at the end) or maybe she is Judas. She'll betray Clark with a kiss.

Very interesting.
                            I think that this is very intriguing assessment of this episode.

Taking into account the fact that Jerome Siegel and Joseph Shuster were both devout Jews, I'm not really surprised at the amount of symbolism in the Superman mythology. There's a ton of allusions to Scripture all over the place, from the names of the Kents (Jonathan and Martha), to Clark's Kryptonian name ("El" being a shortened form of Elohim, a Hebrew name for God). Plus you have Pete Ross, and villains named Apokalips and Doomsday, which both refer to the eventual Battle of Armageddon in the Book of Revelation.
                            Proof positive that your thinking is right on the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                              That was from Prey before davis found out he could supress the beast by killing people. Doomsday killed the nun and the rosary was probably something was hanging off one of his spikes or something. Davis kept it because he wanted to feel human and be good.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎