He's Just Not That Into You?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jade4813
    Voyeurism?
    Ok, don't laugh but that scene reminded me of all the hate stalker Superman got in Superman Returns.

Comment

Well, I definitely think that after that end scene that Lois thinks that Clark is just not that into her. She put herself out there and he kindly declined. Now, if she would have texted her from home or work, then I would actually buy it that he wasn't it to her. Since he was standing across the street watching her with conflicting emotions on his face, then I have to assume that he is into her. Maybe not as much as she is, after all, he just went through a lot of drama with Lana, but he clearly feels something more that just friendship.

Comment

Voyeurism?

I was hoping - because I know what had happened - that she'd give him the cold shoulder. But I wasn't particularly surprised - because she didn't know what had happened - that she didn't. I thought it was interesting (and rather sad) that so much of her interaction with Clark had to do with her trying to find out whether or not she was important to him. I think that's significant; because she spent the time away not knowing if she was or not.

I'm sure now she feels like she has her answer and she WILL be cold to him. But up until this point, I don't think she knew one way or another, so she didn't want to make assumptions until she found out for sure.
        I completely agree with this! I was a little surprised that she wasn't more cold to him...But I definitely think, like you said, now that she has her answer, she'll be throwing herself in to her work and ignoring Clark..
        I think Lois is definitely done being the pursuer....Clark's going to have to take the reins once he figures out how the heck he feels...
        Martha always said 'he moved at his own pace."

Comment

Well, she was kind of hiding her feelings. She didn't go right up to him and lay one on him or anything. She was simply feeling out the territory, seeing whether he returned her feelings. I don't think it's a matter of her expectations getting heightened while she was away; it seems to me though that you were expecting them to be completely deflated. And I don't think that would have necessarily happened. I think she'd have spent a lot of time going, "Hah! Nothing happened between us! And it doesn't mean anything anyway! I don't care about Clark; he doesn't care about me. And I'm perfectly fine about all of that." But hoping she was wrong. Another part of her was saying, "Clark, won't you come over here and make a liar out of me?" (Paraphrasing HJ's line from Someone Like You)

So when she came back, she didn't grab him and lay one on him. But she did feel out the territory - because a part of her did hope that perhaps, given everything that she KNEW had happened between them - he could have felt the same way about her. And at the end, when she found out he didn't...I read disappointment there, and a little heartache at thinking the man she loved didn't love her back. Not crushing disappointment, like you would expect if she'd come back thinking that he absolutely without a doubt loved her and then found out she was wrong.

She cares about him; it's natural for her to hope that he feels the same about her. And he leaned in for the kiss; there's cause for her to not completely feel her hope is unjustified. But she wasn't going to just throw herself out there. That's why she did something that was non-aggressive and played it all off. "Come for coffee if you're interested; if not, that's cool." And as I said in the above post, if she'd realized she wasn't alone, she'd likely have played off the text as, "Okay, no big. It was just coffee." I expect we only saw that she was disappointed BECAUSE she thought she was alone.
          Thanks Jade. You did a nice job explaining that as you usually do.

I still think Clark is into her. And he probably knows it too. He probably even knows that he's more into her than he realizes, and that is why he's holding back. I don't think he blurted out that "That's why you are special" line just to let her down easy, because he had no motive to do it when he was going to erase everything anyway. He said it because he realizes she means more to him that he can actually handle or give adequate time to at the moment. By telling her she's special, he did not just blow her off and by not showing up for coffee, he stopped himself from jumping into something that he knew would fail given his current handle on things.

Comment

Originally posted by Clana4Life
            But Lois was going to be there anyway. It was never a question of whether she showed up. She said she would be there drinking coffee to get over jet lag and left the ball in his court after that. It was really about him showing up. So he couldn't be going to see if she showed up. I think had he done it via text (as he did) or face to face, he would have let her down and played down the kiss. I agree he doesn't want to hurt her, but I also don't think he's there yet.
            Exactly. HE had nothing to validate for himself by showing up. He knew she was going to be there. So I think he must have been at least considering joining her, because otherwise, why would he even go there? If he was totally not into her, why not say (earlier when she mentioned it) something like, "You know, I do have a lot of work to do tonight. Can we grab some coffee tomorrow before work or something?" To let her know - subtly - that he wasn't into her.

That he showed up indicates that he at least thought about it. At least to me. But, as you say, he doesn't want to hurt her but he's just not there yet. I don't think he quite knows WHERE he is. Which is fine, because I think a good portion of the audience is pulling out their hair trying to figure out where he is, as well.

----- Added 49 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by Dyanara
            Ok, don't laugh but that scene reminded me of all the hate stalker Superman got in Superman Returns.
            I am trying very, very hard not to laugh, just for you, but I have to tell you...I'm failing miserably!
            Last edited by Jade4813; 03-13-2009, 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Voyeurism?
              Ah, Jade, you made me have to pull out the dictionary for that word.

I was hoping - because I know what had happened - that she'd give him the cold shoulder. But I wasn't particularly surprised - because she didn't know what had happened - that she didn't. I thought it was interesting (and rather sad) that so much of her interaction with Clark had to do with her trying to find out whether or not she was important to him. I think that's significant; because she spent the time away not knowing if she was or not.

I'm sure now she feels like she has her answer and she WILL be cold to him. But up until this point, I don't think she knew one way or another, so she didn't want to make assumptions until she found out for sure.

BTW, you've got a lovely avi. And thank you, Clana4Life, for your kind words!
              I noticed this to. She really wanted to find out. It is interesting. I wished they had gone into this a bit more - Lois said that before she had the "hero-complex" but now it's different. She made a "U-turn" (I believe that's how she said it). There was no elaboration on this and really no cause as to why this would and should be different. I wonder why she thinks it would be. I don't know what the writers are going for here. There are things I don't understand about Lois' feelings for Clark and I'm pretty sure the writers won't address it either. They make her say everything. All feelings out on the table. Clark says nothing.

Thanks for the kind words about my avi. Clana Kent made it. You and I don't generally disagree about much and even when we do, it's always respectful.

Comment

Great posts Jade! It's hard to disagree with you, that's why I usually don't. You bring up something I wondered about. Does Lois know that Lana is gone. She didn't even ask. And yes, you're right, anyone watching from the outside (and Lois) would view Clark's actions as "not being that into her" and you bring up a good example with Lana and how he acted toward her all the while still really caring for her. It's the depth of Clark's feelings that I'm still unsure about. I think he cares for her, but much in the same he cares for Chloe. I think there's interest, but there's very little I get to see (besides the almost kiss) that shows he's considering...But it may be like you said - it's too soon and things are muddled.
                The part that I don't agree with you, Clana4life, is that Clark cares for Lois the same way he cares for Chloe. I don't think it is the same thing. Chloe is his best friend, and he cares for her deeply, but with Lois is another thing entirelly. It is not love yet, and it is something that Clark is not able to define yet. I guess his relationship with Lois was always very difficult for him to define. And to add to this confusing thing, he still has to deal with his love for Lana, and the discovery that he is attracted to Lois, and that his feelings for her (even if it is not love yet) are deeper than he thought.

Wouldn't anyone be confused in his place? The truth is that he is not ready for those feelins, whatever they are, but he also doesn't want to tell her he isn't interested, because that is not the plain truth either. He could tell her that he isn't ready, and that he doesn't know what he is feeling, and that he isn't still where she is emotionally, and that right now, being together would be a bad move. And I think he did consider doing that. After all, he did got all dressed up, and he went to the café. But once again, confused as Clark Kent always is, instead of coming to her and just say this, he preferred to just ignore it for now.

But you are right. Lois feels much more for Clark than he doesn for her right now. But he does feel for her, and I am guessing, enough to confuse him. After all, if he feels he is special, as a friend, why not come to her and tell her something like he told Chloe in the past: "I don't feel that way about you. Not for now." But he didn't, and when Lois started to dance around the subject at the Planet he said that it was "complicated", or something like that. So, once again, if a guy is not interested, what is complicated about that?

But, if a guy is interested, and he is just coming from another relationship with someone he deeply loved, and this relationship ended tragically... Well, it is complicated, because it is not that black and white. And if, on the top of all that, he just got a glimpse about how this girl truly feels about him, and he is not ready for her, but he has a feeling that he might be one day... And you are Clark Kent, what would do?

Right now, I think we don't get a clear insight into Clark's feelings because Clark is confused. At least, that is how I see it. He doesn't know how he feels. And I don't think that he is supposed to know it. He was starting to move on, when Lana came back. They resumed their relationship, and things went wrong, and his heart was broken once again. But those feelings he started to develop for Lois are there still, in his infancy, pretty much as they were before, with the added complication of his old feelings for Lana that just resurfaced when she came back. It is really not an easy place to be.

However, I would have preferred if Clark went to the coffe shop and talked with Lois of about his feelings, as confused as they were. Maybe she would get hurt, but she had been there before and she would understand. His choice made it seem, to her at least, that he didn't care enough for her, as a friend, to come to her and tell her he didn't want to be with her romantically. So, she was hurt twice: first, because she thought he wasn't interested, and second, because she thought that she wasn't important enough for him, as a friend, to deserve to listen this from him.

Comment

A quote from Clark himself, who would be the correct judge to say that he is that in to her..... "No Lois. It is because you ARE special." Yes he is sooooooo into her. ANd Hex will proove it, I'm sure. I do believe that Clark really loves Lois.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                    Thanks Jade. You did a nice job explaining that as you usually do.

I still think Clark is into her. And he probably knows it too. He probably even knows that he's more into her than he realizes, and that is why he's holding back. I don't think he blurted out that "That's why you are special" line just to let her down easy, because he had no motive to do it when he was going to erase everything anyway. He said it because he realizes she means more to him that he can actually handle or give adequate time to at the moment. By telling her she's special, he did not just blow her off and by not showing up for coffee, he stopped himself from jumping into something that he knew would fail given his current handle on things.
                    I see what you are saying, but the alternative would have been to just look at her and look down and say nothing or say, "no you are not that special." Either of which would have made him look terrible even if she truly was not special to him. This is one those times where you have to say "you're special" particularly when she was looking so let down and sad. Otherwise you crush the person. I think she's special to him, because she's his friend and he cares about her and probably has some feelings for her. I don't think it's that serious for him now. Not to diminish her being special, but I don't know anyone that Clark loves who, if they had said that line, he wouldn't have said "you are special" to.
                    Last edited by Clana4Life; 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I don't think he quite knows WHERE he is. Which is fine, because I think a good portion of the audience is pulling out their hair trying to figure out where he is, as well.
                      I totally agree. Jade, you really put things well. Clark doesn't know what he's feeling right now. He's still reeling from the past few episodes, Chloe said that much in the first barn segment. He's just trying to figure out a lot of things at once. As easy as it is to complain about Clark, we can forget that he does have a LOT of things going on. Seriously, the poor boy has sooooo many things that are pulling on his attention.

This isn't Lois' fault by any means, either. She was just trying to feel things out, too.

They're confused and dealing with new feelings. They don't know what to do. They'll figure it out eventually, but taking it slow is fine, too.

Comment

Ah, Jade, you made me have to pull out the dictionary for that word.
                        See, Smallville DOES teach us all new things! New...disturbing things. That often lead to serving some time in jail...

I noticed this to. She really wanted to find out. It is interesting. I wished they had gone into this a bit more - Lois said that before she had the "hero-complex" but now it's different. She made a "U-turn" (I believe that's how she said it). There was no elaboration on this and really no cause as to why this would and should be different. I wonder why she thinks it would be. I don't know what the writers are going for here. There are things I don't understand about Lois' feelings for Clark and I'm pretty sure the writers won't address it either. They make her say everything. All feelings out on the table. Clark says nothing.
                        Yeah...and this bolded part is intensely frustrating. Someone made a manip of the last shot of Lois looking at her phone, but instead of what it said on the show, they put in, "Lois. Sorry I can't show up, but we've been renewed for a 9th season." I think they're playing his reaction as vague just to drag things out a bit.

Comment

I don't know how this could happen unless Clark starts donning a mask and changing his voice when he's the RBB. Otherwise it will be impossible for him to fool Lois. I really don't want to see this faux-Superman suit. I wouldn't really care for the storyline because he still wouldn't totally be being honest with her. I hope they don't do this triangle without Superman.
                          I think he will don something, maybe with shades. Otherwise Infamous & Identity were pointless episodes. There has to be some development. It's been proven over & over that Clark Kent can't go out and do the things Superman will do without doing something to cover up his identity. If he can't fool Lois as the Blur, how will he fool her as Superman?

If such a storyline isn't favored, then I fail to understand how people would like the Lois being romantically interested in Superman but not Clark that is a classic scenario with Superman. It's not even a true triangle really because there are only 2 people involved and Clark's own Clark Kent persona won't be in the exchange.

I want something to happen that will make Clark don a pre-Superman costume of sorts and for it to fail so that we have some development.

Comment

But Lois was going to be there anyway. It was never a question of whether she showed up. She said she would be there drinking coffee to get over jet lag and left the ball in his court after that. It was really about him showing up. So he couldn't be going to see if she showed up. I think had he done it via text (as he did) or face to face, he would have let her down and played down the kiss. I agree he doesn't want to hurt her, but I also don't think he's there yet.
                            I respectfully disagree; Lois said she would be there, but that doesn't necessarily mean she would follow through, as per her text to Clark. I see your point, I just happen to think slightly differently. He did go and he saw that she was there and like he said earlier, it would be a complicated discussion. I highly doubt that he could have downplayed the kiss text or live - that is a conversation he's not ready for yet. He doesn't want to hurt her, but he also doesn't want her hurt by outside influences. She's good enough at making her own enemies, he doesn't want to add to the mix.

Comment

You are obviously either a) trying to diminish what happened between them or b) or just seeing things entirely differently. Clark did not say what he said to just make her feel better and give her a pat on the head. Everything he did, every look he gave her screamed that there is something there but it just isnt on the level of what is there for Lois.

Comment

I see what you are saying, but the alternative would have been to just look at her and look down and say nothing or say, "no you are not that special." Either of which would have made him look terrible even if she truly was not special to him. This is one those times where you have to say "you're special" particularly when she was looking so let down and sad. Otherwise you crush the person. I think she's special to him, because she's his friend and he cares about her and probably has some feelings for her. I don't think it's that serious for him now. Not to diminish her being special, but I don't know anyone that Clark loves who, if they had said that line, he wouldn't have said "you are special" to.
                                Yes, but also the fact that when he was talking to Chloe..... "There was this one moment, right after I told Lois my secret, where I thought that everything would be okay."
                                I don't know it verbatium but it was along those lines.

IMO, the reason he didn't get coffee with her is because he knew it wouldn't be fair to her, after the last couple of episodes.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎