No announcement yet.

He's Just Not That Into You?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's Just Not That Into You?

For any of you who have seen the movie, "He's Just Not That Into You" would Justin Long's character "Ben" tell Lois that Clark is just not that into her?
    For starters:

She prompted the conversation about the kiss. He didn't even bring it up.
    She suggested they talk about it over coffee. He hesitated, then agreed.
    She gets stood up with a lame "I'm stuck working" excuse. Then she lies to save face. He just doesn't show up. (Yep, not actually allowing the person to see you, qualifies as standing them up.)

I just feel like Ben would say, "Lois, you're a great girl. I don't want to hurt your feelings, but he's just not that into you. A guy who is into you would initiate the conversation. He would call you and leave messages longer that 10 seconds over the course of a month or so. He might even talk to you on the ride over from the airport to the DP. And here's the biggest one. He'd actually show up to meet you over coffee. In fact, he'd probably beat you there and have a flower waiting for you, because he's just that into you."

I just don't get the feeling that Clark is. He and Lois are not at the same place and he doesn't seem to be that into her. What do you guys think?

This thread just screams ship war.

But to make a long story short: Clark is scared of getting hurt again.

Comment

uhm.. i'm under the impression Clark is scared of having her get hurt by himself moreso than himself getting hurt. it seems to me that he does indeed have feelings for her but is refusing to act on them

Comment

Originally posted by -Nora-
        You think so? I hope not. I don't think there are enough shippers of any other ships to cause any real wars.

I wonder if a guy would say that. I wonder if a Ben type character would say that to Lois. That's what women say to women, much like in that movie, to soothe and ease. "He stood you up because he's afraid of getting hurt again." All they were going to do was talk about a possible kiss - just a conversation, not become exclusive. I don't know. I don't know that "possibly being hurt" is all that's involved. Thanks for you post Nora.

Comment

And he's afraid of hurting Lois too. He knows that Doomsday is out there and has no idea on how to confront him. If he hooks up with Lois, she could become collateral damage & he doesn't want that. He's still figuring out how to handle the hero & identity problem and doesn't want to rush into things with her. To me, it's clear he knows that Lois likes him and that he is saving his move until after he figures out what to do about his identity.

What I think will happen is that Lois will fall for the Blur without knowing it's Clark. And we will have an early version of the classic Superman situation. And this will end up with Clark being more comfortable because Lois won't be after Clark Kent, but his hero persona instead. So Clark Kent will have nothing to hide---hence the beauty of the Superman schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by blink2matrix
            uhm.. i'm under the impression Clark is scared of having her get hurt by himself moreso than himself getting hurt. it seems to me that he does indeed have feelings for her but is refusing to act on them
            Good a guy's perspective. Great. If you didn't know Clark, but only knew what Lois told you about how everything transpired from the airport to the stand up, what would you say?

Comment

If Clark wasn't into Lois, then he would have shown up for the coffee date without no problem

If Clark wasn't into Lois, then like he did with Chloe, he would have let her down gently.

If Clark wasn't into Lois, he wouldn't have looked so conflicted like he did as he was watching Lois from behind

Comment

I think is not necessary this become into a war if we all can talk with respect to each other and to the characters.
                Honestly, The episode make me feel that: Clark is not that into Lois, yet. Of course he will be. We all know how this thing is gonna end. But that's what I felt. He is not in the same place where Lois is, yet.
                This is nothing to do with me being a fan of Chloe. If I would felt intense feeling from Clark towards Lois, I'd be the first to recognize that.
                Actually, I like Lois, and I understand how she feels, I felt really bad for her when she was on the coffee shop waiting. And I liked very much how ED played in this episode...
                Last edited by Kryptochloe; 03-13-2009, 09:21 PM. Reason: Add words

Comment

Originally posted by herolee10
                  If Clark wasn't into Lois, then he would have shown up for the coffee date without no problem

If Clark wasn't into Lois, then like he did with Chloe, he would have let her down gently.

If Clark wasn't into Lois, he wouldn't have looked so conflicted like he did as he was watching Lois from behind

How does his not showing up prove that he is into her?

What was there to let Lois down about? Lois hadn't divulged any feelings for him on that timeline, just a desire to talk about the possible kiss if he wanted to.

The end scene - I guess it's all in the way you look at it. What reads as conflict to one can easily read as something else to another viewer. I thought he looked sad at hurting her feelings and also the fact that he knows she's trying to save face and be strong about it.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Kryptochloe
                  I think is not necessary this become into a war if we all can talk with respect to each other and to the characters.
                  Agreed. I hope this remains the case.

Originally posted by Kryptochloe
                  Honestly, The episode make me feel that: Clark is not that into Lois, yet. Of course he will be. We all know how this thing is gonna end. But that's what I felt. This is nothing to do with me being a fan of Chloe. If I would felt intense feeling from Clark towards Lois, I'd be the first to recognize that.
                  Actually, I like Lois, and I understand how she feels, and I like very much how ED played in this episode...
                  This is pretty much what I think - that he's just not that into her yet. She's very much into him, it appears.
                  Last edited by Clana4Life; 03-13-2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Clana4Life
                    She prompted the conversation about the kiss. He didn't even bring it up.
                    She suggested they talk about it over coffee. He hesitated, then agreed.
                    She gets stood up with a lame "I'm stuck working" excuse. Then she lies to save face. He just doesn't show up. (Yep, not actually allowing the person to see you, qualifies as standing them up.)
                    It had to be a clana fan to bring it up. It's always Clana vs. Clois or Clana vs. Chlark. I haven't seen many Clois vs. Chlark just about the whole Chlois theory.

Anyways, I think everything he did after he went back in time was because of what happen before. In the Daily Planet when Lois mentions the kiss, I can see him thinking about how much he wishes she could know and how much he hates hurting her. When he hesitates talking about it, I think he was making the decison that he and Lois can never be even if it hurts her. He would always keep her safe before anything. He does show up! I think not talking to her about the kiss hurt him just as much as it did Lois. Maybe even more because he can see her as a part of his life. He knows how she would react to his secret and I think he fell in love with(offfically) with that speech he gave her.

I know Clana fans are still holding on and like a friend told me "You never forget your first love." It's true, he'll never forget Lana, but hopefully Smallville season 9 will bring offical closure to Clana. We all know he's still in love with Lana, but someday that is all going to change and he is going to fall for Lois. I just hope we get to see that in the next season!

Comment

When Chloe told Clark, "Is it safe to say that another benefit from protecting your secret is getting to protect yourself from getting hurt?", you could tell she hit home and Clark immediately changed the subject entirely, which even surprised Chloe. And to me that is the reason he just watched Lois and didn't go over to her. Why would he even go to the coffee-date if he wasn't at all interested? Just to stand there and watch Lois like an idiot?

The guy felt something but he's scared.

Comment

I also think that Clark took notice of how Lois didn't give any resistance to Clark after he told her that he won't tell her his secret when he changes things back. No other female he was with was ever like that. He sensed a quality in Lois that he wouldn't have to constantly come up with explanations and things as he did with Lex (his former friend) and Lana (his former girlfriend) and even Chloe for a while.

He has matured and understands that there are priorities that he must meet before jumping into a major relationship with someone he doesn't want to hurt and if he fails to do that, he will hurt Lois.

The problem is that most are judging Clark like a normal guy who should show signs of being into Lois he was really into her. But we know this isn't the case. Clark is far more guarded than any regular guy. We saw his regrets in telling Chloe his secret. We saw him ask Jor-El to withhold her memories of his secret in Abyss. We also did not see Clark reverse that decision---meaning the only reason Chloe got her memories back were by chance at the way Brainiac was removed from her (or perhaps Brainiac's 2nd possession of her after Bride). Clark showed this same resistance after he realized the mistake he did by telling the world his secret when he told Lois he would not tell her his secret after hitting the reset button.

Bottom line---the way I interpreted it is that Clark is interested in Lois but does not know how to handle it yet and knows he has his hands full. So he is putting starting a relationship with her on hold until he figures things out and solves some of his current problems. Things will happen to work out by chance because I think Lois will fall for the Blur and Clark will be able to have a relationship with her as a costumed version of his true self---without holding back his powers. He will be able to be himself and she will be into the Blur, not Clark Kent. This will completely avoid the "secrets & lies" problem he had with Lana and Clark will eventually be able to reveal his secret to her when they get much more serious, but this won't (or shouldn't) happen until he's well into being Superman.

Comment

Hello, I hope everyone enjoyed the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Clana4Life
                            Good a guy's perspective. Great. If you didn't know Clark, but only knew what Lois told you about how everything transpired from the airport to the stand up, what would you say?
                            Except that isn't the point of the episode the fact that what Lois knows isn't the whole story? Not even in the sense of her not knowing Clark's secret, though there is that. (And Clark, when trying to protect his secret, does stupid things that might make girls think he doesn't like them - look at Lana for the first several seasons and, as you argue, Lois now.) But also, she has no knowledge of the events that happened before he used the ring.

If someone doesn't know the whole picture, than the image they're getting is liable not to be the correct one. Think of it this way: If your boyfriend forgets your birthday today and hasn't called you two days from now, you're going to think he isn't that into you. And if you tell your friends about it, they're likely to agree. But in that intervening time, it was revealed to you that he hadn't called you because he'd been in an accident and had been in somewhat serious condition in the hospital but he sent you three dozen roses to apologize...then that's a different picture, isn't it? Then you'd probably think that there was some superceding cause for why he SEEMED not to be that into you. And all of your friends would probably agree.

Particularly in this situation, if you look at it from just one point of view - what Lois knows, for example, at the end of the episode - than you're certainly not seeing the whole picture. As to whether or not Clark's into her...I'm sure she thinks he's not, right now at least. I suspect in a few episodes, it will be made clear to the AUDIENCE at least that Lois's perspective may not be seeing everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rebecavaldez
                              It had to be a clana fan to bring it up. It's always Clana vs. Clois or Clana vs. Chlark. I haven't seen many Clois vs. Chlark just about the whole Chlois theory.

Anyways, I think everything he did after he went back in time was because of what happen before. In the Daily Planet when Lois mentions the kiss, I can see him thinking about how much he wishes she could know and how much he hates hurting her. When he hesitates talking about it, I think he was making the decison that he and Lois can never be even if it hurts her. He would always keep her safe before anything. He does show up! I think not talking to her about the kiss hurt him just as much as it did Lois. Maybe even more because he can see her as a part of his life. He knows how she would react to his secret and I think he fell in love with(offfically) with that speech he gave her.

I know Clana fans are still holding on and like a friend told me "You never forget your first love." It's true, he'll never forget Lana, but hopefully Smallville season 9 will bring offical closure to Clana. We all know he's still in love with Lana, but someday that is all going to change and he is going to fall for Lois. I just hope we get to see that in the next season!

See?? This is the way how you start a fight...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎