No announcement yet.

He's Just Not That Into You?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TOMophilus
    Well, yes, most of it was banter. But I said that some of it crossed the line. For example, when Clark offered to find Ollie in Rage, Lois said to him: "Yeah, that will be a great help. IŽd rather call Chloe". This is no banter anymore, this is disrespectful and mean because it hurts the feelings of the other person. And there are other examples like this one!
    Now I agree with that one. That hurt me, at least. I don't know if it hurt Clark though.

Comment

• You really think Lois teasing Clark is on the same level as Lana banging Lex?

Comment

• I think this is getting out of topic. The 'Lois being mean to Clark' or 'Lana is meaner than Lois' has been discussed endlessly in other threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by ginevrakent
          He gives just as good as he gets. It is part of how they communicate.
          Even though I was not a shipper (I say 'was' because I actually really liked Clois in a romantic way in "Infamous" but who knows the next few episodes could make decide that my first choice was better ) I always liked that about Clois.

Because they never placed one another on a pedestal. That is what it truly means to be someone's equal. You can't be on even ground when one of you is always gazing up at the other.

I do remember Lois being out of line and that line in "Rage" was one of those instances but Clark didn't let that keep him from being her friend and he even helped her out anyway, which says something about the friendship that he can take it with a grain of salt like that. But neither does he let her walk all over him because he has gotten just as snippy back at her before. In fact I'd say that out of all the other characters on the show Lois brings Clark's playful side out the most. But just as her banter is usually playful, so to is his banter usually in a friendly-teasing manner, but it has gotten nasty a few times.

I have a feeling that's not going to happen (the more nasty barbs) so much though now that the feelings there are starting to be more than platonic. I do hope they don't lose that playful banter though, because it is one of the things that make their interaction unique and enjoyable. Even the married Lois and Clark from DC still have the banter. So there isn't any reason that SV's Lois and Clark shouldn't be able to retain it. Though I do understand if it isn't around right way, but I hope it comes back soon.

Oh yeah, lol, what IS the topic of this thread anyway? I think I didn't realise where I was when I posted. Oops.

So as for Clark not being interested, I think I've given me opinion on that wonderful last scene a multitude of times, but nothing has made me change my mind. I still think it is obvious that Clark was indeed interested or 'in to' Lois if you prefer that, but that he was taking a step back for what he thought was Lois' and maybe his own good, so they didn't get hurt, but that while trying to prevent Lois and himself from getting hurt in the long term they both wound up hurt in the short term. Clark was looking pretty darn sad as he watched Lois and then when he couldn't take it anymore he finally had to leave.

So I didn't get at all that he wasn't into Lois. Just the opposite in fact, and he was conflicted over it because he didn't know what to do. That's what I got from the scene anyway, and to me it seemed really clear, but maybe that's because I liked it. If I didn't like it I might have gotten something different.

I'm not going to say that Clark is 'in love' with Lois yet, but has feelings for her? Sure thing. It is up to the future episodes to paint the picture of Clark's side of that budding relationship now. The first half of the season was Lois side so it'll be nice to see Clark's side and I suspect that it is definitely going to show that it isn't a case of Clark 'not being that into' Lois. But who knows, I could be totally wrong.
          Last edited by LovelyLoisLane; 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bizarrolover
            I think this is getting out of topic. The 'Lois being mean to Clark' or 'Lana is meaner than Lois' has been discussed endlessly in other threads.
            I agree. So far it's all respectable thankfully. It's safe to say that Lois has said some mean things to Clark. Lana has said some mean things to Clark. Clark has said some mean things to Lois and Lana. Boy, that sentence just sounded like a "See Dick Run, See Jane Run" book. Obviously it's all relative as to who said the meanest thing. I have my opinion on it too, but you know...for another thread.

Comment

• Hi Clana4life,

I started a thread with the same title last week but then headed off to Indian Country and now that I am back it appears to have disappeared so I will tack my comments onto your thread.

In a nutshell: Lois, He is Just Not That into You so get over it and turn yourself in Mad Dog Lane!

Lana being the big love interest for eight years in the Smallville universe was nothing more than a bump in the traditional Superman mythos compared to the hatchet job the powers that be are doing to Lois Lane.

Everyone knew Kristin Kreuk was going to be going on to bigger and better things so it was inevitable that Lana Lang would disappear from the Smallville universe but why would Kristin Kreuk leaving mean the powers that be suddenly decide to turn the traditional Superman/Lois/Clark triangle completely upside down?

Ok let Clark sob for the rest of the eight season over losing the love of his life Lana Lang to Lex’s evil plan to destroy any chance of the star crossed lovers having a future together but that is not an excuse to start screwing up Lois Lane.

I get that Clark is going to take a long time to get over the loss of Lana Lang so naturally keep him out of romantic relationships so why not take advantage of this perfect opportunity to have Clark bury himself in his work at the Daily Planet to establish himself as a top flight reporter in Metropolis?

Shouldn’t Lois Lane being doing the same thing career wise at the Daily Planet to kick off her reputation as “Mad Dog Lane” the “Go To” reporter for the big stories in Metropolis?

Even without Superman in the picture Smallville would be hilarious with clever sarcastic banter in a hectic news room with Perry White baiting them against each other as we all watch Clark and Lois fight be the top reporter of the Daily Planet.

The powers that be could introduce Mayson Drake as the Metropolis Assistant district attorney who falls in love with ‘hurt, wounded and twisty’ Clark while Lois claims Clark is leading Mayson on so he can scoop the big news stories.

Or they could bring in the DEA agent (forget his name) that falls for Lois Lane and Clark could accuse her just playing the DEA agent for the inside track on braking stories.

And there could be endless funny episodes where Clark uses his powers to get the story first and it drives Lois Lane crazy because she can’t figure out how Smallville the hayseed is scooping the big stories in “her town” Metropolis.

Instead they have a silly love sick Lois Lane pinning after an indifferent, damaged Clark Kent that is in love with someone else.

What is up with that?

Does a single person on the K-Site think that Clark Kent wouldn’t have been across that street in a nanosecond if it had been Lana Lang that invited him for a coffee?

They should have killed Lana Lang in some dynamic heroic exit since death is the ultimate closure but even with her alive why not let him get over losing Lana Lang for the rest of the season and then start it off clean for the ninth season.

Lois Lane shouldn’t be in love with an indifferent Clark Kent so just put the romance stuff on hold for the rest of the season and work on the reporting rivalry.

Then gradually over the ninth season Clark should develop feelings for a completely indifferent Lois who is all primed up to fall in love at first sight with Superman.

Then you set up the classic triangle where Lois is in love with Superman and treats Clark’s unrequited love for her like something she found on the bottom of her shoe.

Hilarious high jinks are sure to follow!

For crying out loud it worked for fifty years so why oh why did the Smallville universe change it to a love sick Lois Lane heartbroken over being stood up by an indifferent Clark Kent?

For the rest of Smallville just show me the back story for “Mad Dog Lane” rather than this love sick patsy who is mooning over the farm boy hick that she is supposed to treat like crap as he chases after her.

Is that too much to ask?

Cheers Mountain Sniper

Comment

• The producers have been delaying the whole Lois and Clark experience for years playing it out as if Clark is to scared to finally accept a relationship with Lois. Truth is though that some form of DC limitations is prohibiting it. Hopefully though, that will change as time goes on.

Comment

• MountainSniper,

Thanks for coming in. I can see that you like the traditional Superman. My favorite part of Superman was when Lois knew the truth. I am not a big fan of Lois being in the dark, nor did I like Lana not knowing the truth for all of those years. It's fine for a little while, but at some point, Clark should tell her the truth on the show. Bring on Mayson and the DA. That would for sure cause some interesting dynamics. I think we will see what you asked for -- Lois putting her feelings for Clark to the side and turning into Mad Dog Lane. Clark not coming to the coffee house has (at least in her mind) shown Lois that Clark is not that into her. While I do think he cares for her, she does not know this. Looks like Season 9 will be about the Clark/Lois/RBB triangle. So to answer your questions MountainSniper, it's not too much to ask for because it looks like you're about to get it!

I'll be posting in here up until Turbulence airs. Then I'll be migrating over there to talk about the current episode. So thanks EVERYONE for making this thread so interesting. We had a great thread without any wars! I'm really glad I started it. Hoping and look forward to seeing you all over at the Turbulence threads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clana4Life
                    I'll be posting in here up until Turbulence airs. Then I'll be migrating over there to talk about the current episode. So thanks EVERYONE for making this thread so interesting. We had a great thread without any wars! I'm really glad I started it. Hoping and look forward to seeing you all over at the Turbulence threads.
                    I have to give you credit for creating and keeping this thread from becoming a ship war, J. We all exposed our opinions respectfully. Congratulations!
                    Last edited by Bizarrolover; 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• I do think Lois was supposed to feel as though Clark wasn't really into her. It's the way the producers are stalling the relationship that will eventually blossom between them. And I'm fine with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrZeppo
                        LOL, hey X-ray, I decided to write this for you so you could see how I interpreted the scene. It was VERY confusing to me too, but watching it a few times I totally get it now.

The way the Lois and Clark barn scene was designed, it was probably one of the most confusing scenes I have seen in a while. It took a while to understand what they were saying, or weren't saying, and once I understood what was going on I was impressed with this scene. Because they said so much, but they did it subtly in that scene.

Here is my point by point breakdown of the scene...

These few sentences setup what this conversation is going to be. Clark told Lois he was going to go back in time and undo things. She tries to convince him to stay and fight, but he doesn't want to because even with the world knowing his secret, he's still different. He had hoped to be who he really was, and in the end he still had to hide from them. At this point I believe Lois fully realizes what he's going to do and that he might not tell her again. She doesn't know for sure yet, but I bet she suspects it. I think Lois realizes this is THE one and only time he can know how she feels before he reverts everything to the way it was before, to have a very candid conversation, but she decides to tell him how she feels in a round about manner. Basically putting her heart on her sleeve while still trying to protect herself. Why she doesn't say that flat out, I don't know, maybe it's because she's scared to admit how she feels? But I thought it was clever, especially coming off of "Requiem" because I wanted respect to be paid to what had happened, to Clark, and to Lois. And this was very elegantly done. She was taking her shot because she may never know who Clark really is again.

Okay this line is very important. It's the key to the whole conversation. Because coming off the Clark comment about being different I thought she was trying to comfort Clark about being alien, saying that some people spend their whole lives trying to be like him. But she wasn't. It was a mislead. She's using a metaphor here with Clark by using the word "special". What she's talking about essentially is love, needing someone, cherishing someone. And she doesn't mean "some people" here. She means herself. She's basically saying here, "I've waited my whole life to meet someone who would need me."

What I believe Lois is vaguely admitting here is that when Clark told her who he was, she had that moment she was waiting for all her life, where she really felt "special". Like someone needed her. But with Clark she was scared. Clark at this point knows what she is saying, realizes what she's talking about, but not totally, because he is about to get a key piece of knowledge he doesn't know. He gets what the metaphor "special" means, what context she's really using it for, but he doesn't know why she's scared because she's about to tell him.

He tries to tell her he understands what she's talking about, but she thinks he doesn't even get that she's using metaphors. So when she interrupts to try and clarify, she tells him that she's been with a hero before. So she's calling back on her relationship with Ollie at this point. And remember why she didn't stay get together with Ollie after she learned he was Green Arrow? It was because he was a hero and she would always come second place. She told Clark how she felt about being second best, he knows her view on this, how against it she is. But admits with him, she wasn't afraid of that, because what is going on between them was different to her. She's isn't scared of what she feels with Clark because he's an alien, a hero, it's because even with all of that she couldn't fight how she felt about Clark. She's scared of her own feelings.

Lois gets confirmation of her worst fear at this point. Clark admitted he wasn't going to tell her his secret again. And I think she gives up a little, resigns herself to her fate. By bringing back up the word "special" again she confirms that all along she was talking about herself. That when Clark told her his secret, she was the one that felt special, needed... But she very unselfishly and sadly tells him she understands, because Lois believes Clark doesn't think she's special. She thinks he doesn't need her like she feels she needs him. I don't think she even believes he get the metaphor of the word "special".

This is important because we finally learn how Clark feels. We're rarely privy to him talking so candidly about his most intimate thoughts. And even in this subtle manner, what he admits is huge.

Yes he is more focused on going back and undoing everything. All he wants to do is protect the people he cares about again. Remember, he just saved her from getting tazered at the Daily Planet. So Lois basically poured her heart out, and Clark can see she's disappointed. The best part of this line is it so simply shows the he recognized what Lois was saying all along, because he uses her own metaphor to show his understanding.

He understood that telling her who he was made her feel special. And he tries to comfort her by admitting that she doesn't understand why he doesn't want to tell her again, it's because she is so special to him, so needed, that he has to hide his secret from her. And just by the look on her face alone, Lois realizes that Clark understood what she said all along. And she realizes the reason why he won't tell her, it's a noble reason, because he wants to protect her from the harm that comes from protecting his secret.
                        I've gone back and watched the Siren ending scene with Lois & Clark and that really showed me that your interpretation is 100% correct. I didn't watch that scene since it aired and have watched it quite a few times in the last 1-2 weeks. There's no doubt that she was using the word special in the way you said and that Clark knew what she meant by it (since he remembers that conversation).

Comment

• After watching that scene again, I also have to say that your interpretation of the "anyone but Clark Kent" line is definitely spot-on given the context of the discussion/scene. Seriously, your post should be an official note regarding that scene in a book or DVD companion booklet to help others understand the dialogue of the barn scene in Infamous.

Comment

• Another thing I noticed after rewatching this recently is how Lois was way more into Clark than he was into her at the time and Clark knew it. Notice how when she knew the secret during this episode, they didn't have any romantic moments/kisses/etc and how MrZeppo's clarification of the barn scene explained just how much Lois liked Clark and how she made him the only exception to the no dating heroes rule after what happened with Oliver. Clark isn't a fool and saw that and knew that he wasn't ready to jump into anything new after what happened with Lana just the previous episode.

Clark was very mature by not telling Lois his secret privately or even meeting her at the end at the cafe because he knew he didn't know what to tell her and he didn't want to start something that would have been 1 sided with Lois being into him more than he was into her. Normally I would say that he could have at least told this to Lois (that he wasn't sure how he felt after the whole Lana fiasco), but the problem is we're dealing with Lois who isn't your typical girl. If he told her he didn't want to start something that would be one sided because he knew she liked him and he wasn't sure how he felt about her post-Lana, there's no question Lois would have responded with one of her usual defense mechanisms and felt hurt/vulnerable since Clark would have known how she felt and would admit that he couldn't reciprocate at the moment. In fact, that could have derailed their whole relationship beyond the friendship boundaries. I mean look at how crazy she went when she caught Clark & Maxima in the elevator in Instinct especially after he told her to calm down. Clark is not a dirtbag and did not want Lois as a rebound because in the back of his mind he knew she was much more than that, so he did the best thing by putting the conversation they would have had at the cafe away for a later date when he was sure of what he wanted and after he had completely put Lana behind him.

There's just no way Clark didn't know how much into him Lois was in this episode and how he wasn't at the same point in his life regarding her. He was very smart to know that telling her his secret again at that time would once again ignite those same intense feelings Lois had when she realized she had a hero she loved in Clark who did not leave her behind like Oliver did and who kept her beside him in his heroics so they could save the world together in a sense. So by not meeting her at the cafe, Clark gave us the classic Clark-Lois relationship where both are crazy about each other.
                            Last edited by xrayvision; 07-16-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎