• Does Anyone Like Jonathan Kent?

He's my favorite

Yeah... i miss him

Comment

YEAH! I miss him!

Comment

Do eather of you guys write

Comment

Jonathan Kent, as portrayed by John Schneider, is probably my second all-time favorite depiction of a TV dad (the first being Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable). Jonathan was a strong, independent, and honorable man who wasn't afraid to show his feelings to his family. He did his best to raise Clark with strong virtues, showed immense dedication to Martha, and treated people with kindness, respect, and dignity.

The character's only weaknesses on the series were his love for his family and his anger towards the Luthors, both of which were understandable. He was perfectly willing (on more than one occasion) to give his life for Martha, Clark, or both. Mr. Schneider's portrayal and how the character was written were both very welcome departures from the typical "Mom's a genius, Dad's an idiot" scenario that's on most TV shows nowadays.

I think some of my favorite moments involving Jonathan were probably the "Lineage" episode, his reaction to Clark sleeping with Lana in "Hidden", the sendoff speech to Clark in "Commencement", and most of the farmhouse scenes with Martha.

Comment

You seem to know alot about him

Comment

Yeah, I'm a big fan of both Mr. Schneider and his role as Jonathan. "Smallville" would have such a difference in tone if they hadn't killed him off. For example, those "super-sex" moments in "Wrath" and "Requiem" never would've happened...or if they did, Mr. Kent probably would've threw the door open with a shotgun full of Kryptonite in his hand.

Respect for one's elders was a huge theme in the series' early years, and when Jonathan died most of that was taken away. It only got worse when Martha left, too. I know the characters aren't children anymore, but responsibility and moral integrity shouldn't cease just because an authority figure isn't around anymore. If anything, Clark should've grown even more solid in his values, and wouldn't have resorted to half the crap they've had him do in the last 3 years.

Comment

Do you write moviefan?

Comment

On occasion, I've tried my hand at fan fiction; I've also attempted screenwriting, but I keep getting stuck easily.

Comment

No, I've never particularly been a fan of Jonathan. I thought Shneider handled the role brilliantly, but the dialogue he was given always seemed very cheesy and cliched.

Comment

He was kind of a big meany but he was great at the same time.

Comment

Good ol' Jonathan always seemed to be in a bad mood. As Lex said, if Clark was such a great son, why was Jonathan Kent always so stressed.

My cable channel ran Reckoning tonight. RIP Jonathan Kent.

Comment

Jonathan was awesome. I miss him & really want him back. It's been proven so many times that Clark still needs him & Martha in his life.

I have written fanfics that I posted on this site, but none with Jonathan.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                            Jonathan was awesome. I miss him & really want him back. It's been proven so many times that Clark still needs him & Martha in his life.
                            Indeed xray.

It's why I can't understand [SPOILER]spoilers of the demise of Chloe. She is the only emotional outlet and guide he has left in the series[/SPOILER].
                            Last edited by skully; 03-13-2009, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skully
                              Indeed xray.

It's why I can't understand [SPOILER]spoilers of the demise of Chloe. She is the only emotional outlet and guide he has left in the series[/SPOILER].
                              Anyone called Lois ? I see her running into Clark's arms to clear that tears of his

Oh yeah, forgot : Jonathan rocks !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎