No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Like Jonathan Kent?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should not have been killed off...

Read the comics, he's still alive. I hate the idea that the media always has to kill him off; can't they just leave him be?

The movie reboot better keep him alive, dag nabbit

Comment

I loved Jonathan. The Kent family was my fave thing about the show during the first few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
        Jonathan Kent, as portrayed by John Schneider, is probably my second all-time favorite depiction of a TV dad (the first being Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable). Jonathan was a strong, independent, and honorable man who wasn't afraid to show his feelings to his family. He did his best to raise Clark with strong virtues, showed immense dedication to Martha, and treated people with kindness, respect, and dignity.
        I find that Jonathan tops Cliff without question. The entire Huxtable family were pretty much snobs. If you weren't aiming for top dollar jobs and college you were immediately considered trash in their minds (their being the parents).

Jonathan on the other hand practiced humility and prior to Season 5 was willing to change the flaws he had (lack of trust towards Lex and not willing to let Clark play football.

Comment

After Chloe, Jonathan Kent was my third favorite character after Lex. He always cared about Clark and tried to do what was best for his son. I did not like that they killed him off, but I understand why they did it to help Clark get closer to becoming Superman.

Comment

Jonathan Kent is very high on the list for my favorite characters. He always tried to do what's right, he was a hard worker, and he tried to instill morals into Clark that hopefully will last a lifetime.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by Antiyonder
            I find that Jonathan tops Cliff without question. The entire Huxtable family were pretty much snobs. If you weren't aiming for top dollar jobs and college you were immediately considered trash in their minds (their being the parents).

Jonathan on the other hand practiced humility and prior to Season 5 was willing to change the flaws he had (lack of trust towards Lex and not willing to let Clark play football.
            The Huxtables weren't snobs. They wanted what's best for their children. In African American families at the time (even many now), college was not stressed to most, and being successful meant being good in sports so you can make the millions. The Cosby Show was to teach kids of that time that there was more to life than what they were exposed to in their neighborhoods. That show should be commended, definitely not downed.
            Last edited by Cieraangel; 06-17-2010, 02:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by moviefan2k4
              Jonathan Kent, as portrayed by John Schneider, is probably my second all-time favorite depiction of a TV dad (the first being Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable). Jonathan was a strong, independent, and honorable man who wasn't afraid to show his feelings to his family. He did his best to raise Clark with strong virtues, showed immense dedication to Martha, and treated people with kindness, respect, and dignity.

The character's only weaknesses on the series were his love for his family and his anger towards the Luthors, both of which were understandable. He was perfectly willing (on more than one occasion) to give his life for Martha, Clark, or both. Mr. Schneider's portrayal and how the character was written were both very welcome departures from the typical "Mom's a genius, Dad's an idiot" scenario that's on most TV shows nowadays.

I think some of my favorite moments involving Jonathan were probably the "Lineage" episode, his reaction to Clark sleeping with Lana in "Hidden", the sendoff speech to Clark in "Commencement", and most of the farmhouse scenes with Martha.

The feminizing of the series by the writers (e.g. Chloe is the mentally stronger warrior to the weak, childish, less bright Clark) is outrageous. It says more about the writers and where they stand politically and socially that we have had Chloe for 10 years.

Comment

I DEFINITELY liked Jonathan Kent's character. I think he was a very strong, guiding influence on Clark's life -- his moral compass through a very trying and tough series of events that he had to face. Sometimes I could get irritated when he'd become, in my opinion, a bit preachy in his platitudes and speeches, but for the most part, I think he was an excellent character, and John Schneider's portrayal of him was fantastic. I'm so pumped that [SPOILER]he'll be back in Season 10 for a couple of episodes![/SPOILER]

Comment

I like Jonathan so much that I frequent this section of the forum quite often, hoping to find like minds. For some time now I've viewed Jonathan as the foundation on which Jor-el built the house. Seeing him in a number of episodes this last season was more than I had hoped for and I really appreciate the show doing such a good job of ending this series the right way.

Comment

I loved Jonathan's character and I too was very happy to see him back for as much as we got him in s10. I loved how he handled Clark.. and tho he made mistakes Jonathan was a good man trying raise an extraordinary boy and I personally would have loved to have had a father like him, platitudes and all.

Comment

I like him he was a cool character without being evil or getting in trouble.

Not many people are like the way Jonathan was, in this day and age. rare breed

Comment

I almost didn't post because the general consensus seems to be against my opinion... hope I don't start any wars! I think Jonathan was a very human character and his flaws were just a little too much for me to handle. He was very judgmental and I'm shocked that Clark grew up to be less so under Jonathan's upbringing. I understand Jonathan has his reasons not to trust or even like the Luthors but I think it's unfair for a parent to try to push their opinions on their children and Jonathan tried to do that a lot. Clark, IMO, is a much more admirable character for constantly trying to see the good in people.

I also didn't like how stubborn Jonathan was. Again, it's not like stubbornness makes him BAD or anything (it just makes him human) but it really got on my nerves at times. Especially with the football scenes--you KNOW your son loves football and it's just about the only thing in his life that he FOUGHT you for. You'd think he would allow him a chance to find his own way and be a bit more supportive. Or the episode (can't remember the name) in which Clark and Jonathan stop talking to each other over some fight. Seriously? Your son is a teenager. You're a grown-a** man. Who's supposed to be more mature here?! Who's supposed to make the first move to fix things between you two?

Nonetheless, everything Jonathan did was for Clark and because he loved him. That kind of love is hard to come by and I admire him for being able to love Clark and support him so much. I guess I didn't particularly *want* him to die, but I was still relieved when he did. Clark couldn't have become an independent man with Jonathan around.

The only pity was that Lana got to come back 'cuz Jonathan died.

Comment

I used to count this version of Jonathan Kent, as the worst. He was judgemental, paranoid, prone to violent outbursts.

Then I saw Jonathan in MoS and saw SV's JK in a new light. Costner was even more paranoid and didn't believe in the good in people. Heck, he even saw his kid get bullied and did nothing. He also gave Clark a hard time, for saving the kids on the bus.

Schneider's Jonathan would've stood up for his kid (even someone else's kid). He was worried that someone would find out about Clark and exploit him. But, never acted like Clark had done something wrong by saving someone.

Comment

Ok, I'm really late getting into Smallville - still watching S8 - and I have to say it's been difficult watching the seasons without Jonathan Kent. The Kent family anchored the show, and while there is always the push to remove the mentors so the child can truly come into his own, I felt it was done too early. People do realize their potential while their parents are still alive. The adults seemed to by systematically either killed or 'sent off' during and after S5, and it hollowed out the show a bit. Lionel Luthor's eventual exit took a lot of the intrigue and fun from the show.

So many of the Dads in the shows my kids watch now are deliberately goofy, easily schooled by their wives and kids, and kind of stupid. John Schneider and the writes made JK every bit a man - wise, strong, stubborn, flirty with and devoted to his wife, protective of his family - while at the same time not afraid to be openly affectionate with his son or admit when he failed. The bond between father and son was beautiful to watch; I didn't think it was cheesy at all, because the actors were so committed to it. I'm excited to see JS again in S10!

Comment

Jonathan Kent is only human

I agree with most of these comments about Jonathan Kent, but I was never fan of his either. I still haven't forgotten his mistreatment of Lex in the seasons 1 and 2, let alone his annoying " do as I say, but not as I do" speeches. I got annoyed with those along with his bad ass temper. I mean who keeps pushes their fears and opinions onto their children like that? I always found Jonathan Kent too self righteous and too proud, even too judgmental and too paranoid. And maybe even a little hypocritical I mean he lectures Clark about the differences between right and wrong, taking responsibility of his own actions and decisions, keeping his temper in check and accepting consequences for making mistakes and he doesn't even consider in taking his own advice? in doing same things for himself? I even got sick and tired of his disapproving attitude towards the Clex I still haven't forgotten that either. Sure he's a flawed character, but every character on this show is flawed, not just him and characters don't want other characters pointing out their flaws to their face all the time, that's just frustrating and exasperating for those characters putting up with that when they don't want to put up with it at all. I see Jonathan Kent doing this all the time with Lex and from Lex's perspective I can see why. I would be the same as Lex if someone keeps pointing out my flaws to my face all the time. So I don't blame Lex for feeling discriminated against for no reason. I also see Jonathan as very prejudiced when it comes to the Luthors in general and I don't like that about Jonathan, it really puts him very bad light.
                              Last edited by laurarawlins; 08-03-2015, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎