No announcement yet.

Cancelled!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelled!

TV Guide's sources are reporting that KR is cancelled.

Considering the show's falling ratings, and the lack of available timeslots in the Fall thanks to Leno, I'm not really surprised. It's a bummer it happened before the show completely found its "voice," but I have a feeling that the show's critics never bothered to come back or even give it a chance.

Not happy.

Comment

When is Jay Leno ending?

Comment

I'm just a little bit sick of the word cancelled...

Comment

hell no

Comment

This sucks!

Comment

I must say that I'm truly conflicted. Part of me is immensely disappointed, while at the same time I'm also relived that there won't be any more excuses for an explicitly sex-drenched version of the series.

I really wish that NBC had taken the show seriously to begin with. Two thirds of the year were taken up by characters either getting drunk, shacking up, or both. Thankfully, that kind of storytelling faded gradually in the last few episodes, but it wasn't enough. If the show had been like last night's episode from the beginning (including the telefilm from a year ago), I think the ratings would've been much better.

This new only serves to confirm what me and others have been saying all along...sex and debauchery only sells up to a certain point; after that everything goes to hell. I wish the studio had given fans like me the show we really wanted, instead of sleazing things up at every available oppritunity.

I propose a toast, to the "Knight Rider" that should've been...may we recieve it someday.

Comment

I'm kind of conflicted about the news. Because honestly, even with the changes, this wasn't the Knight Rider I wanted and not the Knight Rider I expected when creating KITTSite.

Although the cast is made up of some really nice people, and I know at least some of them have been great in other projects (see Paul Campbell in Nobody's Watching as an example), a big problem I had was I couldn't "connect" with any of the characters nor did I particularly enjoy watching them. I think they may have missed a big opportunity in not recasting the Michael Knight role when Mike Traceur "died."

If there was any doubt that there would be a Season 2, they really, REALLY should have played the Michael Knight/David Hasselhoff card, and it's disappointing that they didn't.

I think the show made some good choices in getting rid of dead weight though I thought Graiman's death was contrived - but I may be biased because Bruce Davison was my favorite actor on the show, and he was only really well used in the TV-movie.

There were some surprises - although KITT seemed flat in the TV-movie, I thought they eventually got it right, and I would have preferred more Michael/KITT banter instead of "Zoe and Billy flirting in the hub" which seemed like a waste of time and a diversion of the real show. I also think they made a big mistake in promoting the sexual aspects when Knight Rider should be a show that a 7 year old could enjoy and be allowed to watch.

The show did a great job standing up to American Idol, so, props for that.

Did anyone really care if Mike and Sarah would get together? The Hoff and Bonnie had chemistry that could fly circles around those two, even though I don't think they ever got together. There was no need.

I also need to give credit to Gary Scott Thompson. Although his vision for KR might not be what I would have expected, it was clear to me that he had a love for the source material. I think he had a thankless task, and it surely wasn't helped by NBC constantly changing the episode orders around or cutting him down from 22 episodes to 17. It would have been nice *ahem* if he had reached out to more than just one website to promote his stuff, but I think he did a pretty good job, considering, and also considering this was the cast he was stuck with.

But, maybe this was a mercy killing. It's too late to recast. The auto industry is in trouble so I doubt Ford could afford to continue to promote it. I do find it sad that the show back in 1982 seemed more enthralling than the modern version; maybe with GPS and stuff we're used to technology, but I was getting so sick of KITT getting taken over or subdued every other week too.

Ideally, someone will change their minds and wrap it all with another TV movie or something. But I think this is it. It was definitely a better revival effort than Bionic Woman was, but I think it still didn't have all of the right ingredients.

I'd like to also call to task the critics who were determined to disregard KR as garbage without even looking at it. The show obviously was at the very least enjoyable to many people, and I think the constant trashing was unwarranted, especially when shows that are less engrossing (to me at least) are considered "genius." (No I'm not naming names) KR was comfort food, and I think TV needed more like that, and I think with the show continuing to have 5+ million viewers against American Idol, they may have been on to something. But, I think they needed something more to have kept that competitive edge.

Comment

The show never grew on me i'd see previews for it during Heros last year.But it never really made me want to tune in to watch.Maybe it's the network Craig NBC has canceled alot of shows in the past. Journeyman,Bionic Woman,My Own Worst Enemy,and now this show.

Comment

crap in a hat... and how does Leno affect primetime slots?

If this keeps up, NBC will become the new Fox..
                    Last edited by dru-zod2501; 03-06-2009, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I grew up with the original. That being said this version was very enjoyable to me. Some of the stories could have been better, but I liked it for the most part. I'm sure they'll still put it out on dvd. I'm disappointed in NBC for canceling it. Why not move it to Sci-Fi or USA or something? Maybe even make it a summer show or air it like USA does with Psych, Monk and Criminal Intent (well CI is not a good example they keep putting off this coming season).

Really we can't expect Hoff and the original gang and car to come back. You can't turn back the clock beyond getting out the old series and watching it again. I really liked some of the new technology and ideas though making KARR a robot turned me off some. I'd have liked to have seen KITT vs KARR in car mode. This series had some fans. Networks need to realize some of us DVR or TIVO shows. I've been doing that for years now. Maybe they should look into counting that as ratings. It's sad that one of my current fav shows is gone. Thing is NBC only has me for Heroes, Law and Orders (SVU and original).

Whatever happened to the days of giving shows a chance? Seinfeld wasn't a smash from day one. Hell the first year sucked IMO. It got better when they found a purpose. I think this Knight Rider was searching for it's identity. Sometimes it hit the mark and sometimes it didn't. I would have kept watching it.

Comment

It's a bunch of crap! IMO, the only real reason they are cancelling KR is because they want to keep their stupid Law & Order on the same nights. And do we really need Leno to be the last thing we see before we sleep? I don't think so!

Comment

Actually, NBC will be cancelling the original "Law & Order" at the end of this season (the show's 19th). Franchise creator Dick Wolf had hoped for a 20th, so he could beat out Gunsmoke for the record; I guess the network didn't agree.

Comment

No hope? NBC hasn't confirmed it yet.

"An NBC rep had no comment on KITT's rumored garaging."

Comment

Maybe NBC stands for the 'Network that cancels good shows Because we feel like it Channel'.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎