No announcement yet.

Was Pete a failed character?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Pete a failed character?

I never really liked Pete, not because of Sam Jones III (who I think did an excellent job portraying him), but because the writers never seemed to know how to handle him. In fact, almost all of the episodes centred around him were dull; of them all, I only really liked "Duplicity".

His mishandling can be seen through the screentime minutes compiled by BadToad; as the writers lost interest in him, he lost minutes. In Season Two, he appeared in all twenty-two episodes but only was only actually in it for ninety-four minutes. In Season Three, that dropped to seventeen episodes with a shocking sixty-three minutes - only just over an hour.

His comeback episode, "Hero", is widely regarded as one of the show's worst. Apparently, he was such an empty character that blatant advertising and a FOTW ability were needed to carry his return.

So, what do you think? Was Pete a failed character, or did you like him? If you didn't, what could have been done better?
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

I liked pete but his character never really moved the plot along. But I think he was a good character and I wish they would have kept him around a couple of more seasons. And I agree, Hero was awful!

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
      I never really liked Pete, not because of Sam Jones III (who I think did an excellent job portraying him), but because the writers never seemed to know how to handle him. In fact, almost all of the episodes centred around him were dull; of them all, I only really liked "Duplicity".
      I totally agree with what you had to say. And yes, Pete was a failed character. I was glad to see him leave. He also had a rushed exit from the series, and Hero- and the fact he returned as a FOTW was just wrong. Better to not have him returned at all IMO.

Comment

Unfortunately, it didn't seem like there was much for Pete even though he was the first of Clark's best friends to know his secret. Maybe there were only so many episodes to feature Pete and his hatred against the Luthors for cheating his family out of their business. I guess the writer's decided to go with Chloe instead, since she appeared to be the most interesting character between Pete and Chloe.

Comment

There could be a theory that maybe Al Gough,Miles Millar,and/or the writers didn't like Sam Jones III. Look at the history from Season 1 through Season 3,alot of storylines that were for Sam. Namely the self defense was given to kristin,and Sam barely getting any dialouge at all.When you don't count the few Pete centered episodes is it possible.That there was a racist issue in why Sam didn't get much work on Smallville?

Comment

I'm not sure. One thing that is clear is that the writers didn't know what to do with him.

Comment

Yes Pete Ross was a failed character. I don't pin the blame Sam Jones III for it. I blame the show's producers and the show's focus groups who decided to change Pete from a white guy (Which he was in the comics) to being black on Smallville. It didn't work. Pete should have stayed as he was in the comics, white. He would have been a natural best friend to Clark, a male buddy (Aside from his father) that Clark could talk to. A real rivalry would have developed between between Pete and Lex. The show would have never wasted any time on a useless character that never panned out like Whitney Fordham.

Smallville's version of Pete Ross didn't work out. Pete's first departure from the show was somewhat awkward. It seems as time went by they eased Pete out of the show while increasing Chloe Sullivan's role by leaps and bounds.Chloe ,in a way, took over for Pete as Clark's best friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.White
                Yes Pete Ross was a failed character. I don't pin the blame Sam Jones III for it. I blame the show's producers and the show's focus groups who decided to change Pete from a white guy (Which he was in the comics) to being black on Smallville. It didn't work. Pete should have stayed as he was in the comics, white. He would have been a natural best friend to Clark, a male buddy (Aside from his father) that Clark could talk to. A real rivalry would have developed between between Pete and Lex. The show would have never wasted any time on a useless character that never panned out like Whitney Fordham.

Smallville's version of Pete Ross didn't work out. Pete's first departure from the show was somewhat awkward. It seems as time went by they eased Pete out of the show while increasing Chloe Sullivan's role by leaps and bounds.Chloe ,in a way, took over for Pete as Clark's best friend.
                Hmmm.... Pete's race was the one successful part of the SV character. It had absolutely no bearing on the characterization. Bravo, SV!

I thought he was funny at first, but he less to do as time went by, so I'd have to agree that the writers didn't know what to do with him. In a way, though, he served a purpose. Chloe was the example of a secret-keeper who contributed in a positive way. Pete, on the other hand, was the example of a secret-keeper who just couldn't handle it. He wasn't evil, but he just had a tough time with it. There are probably more Petes out there than Chloes.

Comment

I think he ultimately was. 90% of the blame for that goes to the writers who could not come up with compelling storylines for Pete. The other 10% goes to SJIII. I don't think he's a bad actor, but I do think even with the crappy material, he simply wasn't able to spin the crap he was given into gold the way that other actors can.

Comment

No I thought he was pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.White

Race had nothing to do with it, he just wasn't an interesting or developed character. Lana Lang/KK is a good example of how that is ineffective. It doesn't matter the race, it's who can play the part. IMHO, Sam Jones wasn't it, nor was the story for the character. There was no lasting memorable personality, only some guy thrown in here and there and was excluded day one, a character without purpose. And he left like the ghost he was on the show.
                      Last edited by Dominicus; 02-27-2009, 04:18 AM.

Comment

His purpose on the show was clear:

Pimp Stride gum and a couple of albums from guest music groups

Other than that...worthless

Comment

Originally posted by ClubXerxes
                          His purpose on the show was clear:

Pimp Stride gum and a couple of albums from guest music groups

Other than that...worthless
                          Sad, but true.

Comment

They had it good at the end of season 3...but when they brought him back, I think they ruined him.

Comment

Pete failed simply because his character served no real purpose. Clark didn't need 2 best friends. Pete also lacked powers and so he was just the damsel in distress along with chloe and Lana.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎