Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tess Good or Evil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah i think tess goes with what ever is best for her in the moment. Right now it pays for her to be on the heros side. She always wanted inside the circle and now she is. Im not buying her "turnaround" because she is a selfish ruthless character that in the end looks out only for her self or at leasts she was. This lightswitch in season ten has made me dislike the character very much she is a bore now and i dont enjoy her anymore. Cassidy is a good actress but her stength is not in playing good. Its boring and seems forced because of how quickly everyone trusted her minus ollie. I mean clark seem to for get she helped zod and lois seems to forget she tried to kill her... Um hello!

----- Added 47 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by selenatripox
    neither. She suits her own needs and only cares about herself.
    exactly the way i feel but over all because of this i find her evil boring now but still evil.
    Last edited by doodie8808; 02-08-2011, 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by doodie8808
      Yeah i think tess goes with what ever is best for her in the moment. Right now it pays for her to be on the heros side. She always wanted inside the circle and now she is. Im not buying her "turnaround" because she is a selfish ruthless character that in the end looks out only for her self or at leasts she was. This lightswitch in season ten has made me dislike the character very much she is a bore now and i dont enjoy her anymore. Cassidy is a good actress but her stength is not in playing good. Its boring and seems forced because of how quickly everyone trusted her minus ollie. I mean clark seem to for get she helped zod and lois seems to forget she tried to kill her... Um hello!
      Well for Tess the ends justifices the means, that's one of her worst flaws. She helped Zod because she thought he could save the world, she never meant to hurt Clark. I agree that after Pandora, she should have stopped helping him, and I don't really get why she didn't. I guess that maybe she thought she could change the future if she found a way to control him or if Clark joined him I dunno She nearly killed Lois because she wanted to know what was going to happen, once again to try to save the world. It's not an excuse, it's one of the bad choices I was talking about, and if she had killed her I guess I would think that Tess is evil, but she didn't.

I couldn't disagree more with the rest of your post. Of course I would love to see Tess kick some butts again but I like her as a part of Clark's team too. She couldn't have stayed any longer on the grey side and I'm happy with where she is now. And I don't think it seem forced (well maybe a little in Icarus ).

But still I understand your opinion

Comment

Good posts Flora. Can't add anything more.

Just one thing. The point about Clark trusting her too soon is brought up quite often. And that's where the scene with Zod in Salvation is underrated imo. Tess didn't attack Zod out of spite. She did it for Clark. And ultimately, she died for Clark. Now, I don't like characters sacrificing themselves for Clark. We've seen it a lot on SV. But I really feel that it struck a cord for Clark. That's when he realized that Tess isn't a lost cause.

As for Lois, yeah, that relationship got mellow too fast imo. That was more a script necessity than anything else...

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
          Good posts Flora. Can't add anything more.

Just one thing. The point about Clark trusting her too soon is brought up quite often. And that's where the scene with Zod in Salvation is underrated imo. Tess didn't attack Zod out of spite. She did it for Clark. And ultimately, she died for Clark. Now, I don't like characters sacrificing themselves for Clark. We've seen it a lot on SV. But I really feel that it struck a cord for Clark. That's when he realized that Tess isn't a lost cause.

As for Lois, yeah, that relationship got mellow too fast imo. That was more a script necessity than anything else...
          Thanks Costas, it means a lot since it's hard for me to write long posts like that in english, especially to explain this kind of thing!
          And ITA with what you add!
          Last edited by Costanza; 02-08-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

credit: duskwillow

Comment

Originally posted by RaniaLovesClois

It sums up pretty well my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Costanza
                Thanks Costas, it means a lot since it's hard for me to write long posts like that in english, especially to explain this kind of thing!
                And ITA with what you add!
                You are welcome. They were well thought out.

Originally posted by RaniaLovesClois

See? That's a face of pure good.

Comment

Nice avi.

I agree with both of you Costas and Flora. I don't thinks she's a bore or an evil character. Being part of the team does her good while fighting the demons inside her as clone Lex says. You know who's boring? Doomsday and Darkseid.

Comment

It would be so tragic if Tess turns out to be evil and betrays Clark. She's been on such a good path lately, and to have that ruined would be terrible. I would feel so bad, knowing that she was so close to goodness, only to be thwarted by inner demons/Granny's plan for her/Luthor blood.

Comment

Grey

Comment

She's not evil. Misguided at times. She makes bad decisions in an attempt to do what she thinks is right. In season 8, she does some horrible things but she believes what she's doing is right for Clark. Thats she's helping him achieve his destiny. In season 9 she's trying to save the world. She thinks Zod and the Kandorians are the only hope for earth. I love Lois' line "Tess Mercer, the ultimate eco-terrorist" lol cause thats a pretty good summary of her actions in season 9.

But at the end of season 9 she see's how wrong she's been. How Zod was using her. She sacrifices herself to help Clark and that is her trying to step in to the light. To not only want to do good but also actually do it.

Her intentions though were not evil.

Comment

Originally posted by lilysharabi
                          Evil!!!!!!!!!
                          How many people have been murdered by her?
                          Simply killing people doesn't make you evil. Otherwise, a soldier who kills another soldier in a war would be automatically evil. It's all about context. Let's go over the people she killed:

There was Marcos ("Toxic"), a man who had just tried to kill Oliver Queen, then attack her and years earlier had kidnapped Tess and her best friend (killing the latter and trying to kill Tess). One could argue that her actions was brought on by past trauma and a fear that Marcos would come after her next. I could see any judge be lenient with her.

There was Regan Matthews ("Power"), who tried to kill Tess and she killed him in self-defense. Doubtful any charges would be filled against her. Especially as Matthews had just killed another person in her office, giving her valid reasons to fear for her life.

There were Eva Greer and Leslie Willis ("Injustice"). However, there are many details concerning the team Tess assembled in S8, that were never established (like why she decided to assemble them in the first place). In S9, Tess is revealed to be an agent of Checkmate. This opens the possibility that she was acting under orders from Checkmate, to set up this team, and to terminate them, should they become a threat. Checkmate was a government agency, meaning her killing Greer and Willis would've been government sanctioned.

Tess (possibly) killed a Kandorian clone ("Crossfire"), again in self-defense. The clone's death was never confirmed. Furthermore, the same actor appears as a Kandorian clone in the season finale, suggesting that she didn't kill him (unless the actor's supposed to play two different Kandorian clones).

So, that's (not counting the uncertain Kandorian case) one case of self-defense, one case with a mitigating factor (or factors) and two committed while in service of a government sanctioned agency.

Comment

Eh. there are times when I can't shake the feeling that she was a stand-in for "good lex" because the DC directive demanded That Lex had to end up the supervillian near the end to fit with DC canon. But the TV writers had so many ideas where they wanted to do a "good luthor" story-line, etc... so they created the character Tess to be like a female version of both Lionel and Lex combined.

The SV narrative tends to portray anybody who wants to protect clark as being "good" and anybody who wants to harm him as "bad/evil". But as an result the show itself tends to ignore a lot of super-shady **** in all of it's characters that would had never been kosher in real life to start with. Heck, even in Clark Kent himself... he's done some pretty horrible stuff too.

Tess is slightly sociopathic, but she does seem to have some lines she won't cross. as Jon-el up above pointed out, most of her kills were somewhat justified as most of them were in self-defense. So in this case she's not really that evil. Heck, Lana is WAY more evil than Tess is, if we had to define evilness by whenever their actions were justified or not. because unlike Tess Lana did some pretty horrible stuff that was completely unjustified, no matter how much she claimed that she did it to protect Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                              Tess (possibly) killed a Kandorian clone ("Crossfire"), again in self-defense. The clone's death was never confirmed.
                              Actually it was. By sheer coincedence I'm right now rewatching Kandor. When Tess meets up with Zod she says "I think your deep-cover agent might have a different opinion. But I'm glad to see that his untimely death got your attention. I won't be toyed with. "

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                                Actually it was. By sheer coincedence I'm right now rewatching Kandor. When Tess meets up with Zod she says "I think your deep-cover agent might have a different opinion. But I'm glad to see that his untimely death got your attention. I won't be toyed with. "
                                I stand corrected. Then there are two cases of self-defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎