Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clana fans: Would Clark's future words change your perspective?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's say a guy marries a girl who he is completely in love with, but she dies young in a tragic accident. He later meets and marries another woman and is surprised to discover that his love for her is just a strong, and that he is perhaps even happier with her than he was with his first wife. Does this mean his first wife wasn't actually his "soul mate?" I think it just means that there is no such thing as a "soul mate." It's romantic nonsense. There are many people out there that we could live happily ever after with.

But in the world of Smallville, it is implied that Clark does have a soul mate and that his soul mate is Lois. They've hammered this point home through foreshadowing and subtext. But the ending of the Clana relationship appears to contradict this point, and I'm not sure how or if they are going to reconcile this apparent contradiction.

ETA: The term "sloppy seconds" has a crude and specific meaning. The term is not applicable to the Lana/Clark/Lois situation.
    Last edited by Malicieux Toutou; 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM.

Comment

^

I had seen the particular expression that you mentioned used many times on this site by others in the context of this episode. Not being familiar with the expression, I was unaware of any crude or offensive meaning and have edited my post accordingly. I do tend to agree that there is no such thing as a soul mate and that it is possible to truly love more than one person in a lifetime. Whether or not it is implied that Clark and Lois or Clark and Lana are soul mates in Smallville depends largely on your point of view. If you are a Clana fan, you tend to see that Clark and Lana are soul mates, and if you are a Clois fan or comics fan you tend to interpret the foreshadowing and subtext as supporting the idea that Clark and Lois are soul mates. The way I view it is that Clark and Lana truly love one another now, and the foreshadowing indicates that Lois is the one that he loves in the future, not that either is his "soul mate".

Comment

i agree with malicieux toutou (by the way clever name lol) that Lois should not be considered a sloppy second considering their relationship was always short lived.

Comment

I really believe Clark/TPTB are not dumb enough to ever say that. And the idea of soulmates may mean something completely different to different people. Clark has had many soulmates on his life, as I see it.

But I can see Clark moving on to Lois next year and having a relationship with her due to the loss of certain people. Clois will no doubt happen but I have no doubt it will run its course as well. Just like Lexana did. Every other medium has a Clark and Lois relationship so what's the point of rehashing it here for the series finale. It would just be another waste of an opportunity to give Clark a new story, which was what Smallville has been all about. An original and unique ending would defy that prescribed destiny.

I also have faith that the foundation of Smallville has left so many openings for Lana to return in the future, cured and able to be with Clark at last. KK even hinted she might come back for the series finale and if it would honor the relationship that give life to Smallville, then she would definitely bring Lana back. Where else could Clana exist than in this universe?

Comment

I guess I see it this way, Lana and Clark truly does love each other now and I have to agree with Mountain Sniper that the only closure we could get from clana is the fact that lana would die. Although I am a clana fan I did not like the idea that they left an open ending. The writers gave us false hopes when they truly intend lois and clark ending up together.

Comment

the season is far from over... there is no false hope there... it just hasnt happened yet... we are 6 episodes away from season finale and then season 9

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎