Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll:Should Smallville be dismissed from the Superman storyline?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you count this one?

Originally posted by unfocused
    I agree, something this well established and loved will never be forgotten or removed by the DCU PTB.

By the way, what's the longest running Superman television broadcast ever?
    If this resembled Superman- but I don't think this one counts. It's never been about Superman. Its about an ET who forgets who he is, and acts more human than an ET. I have to go back to "Legion" where they admit in the script this isn't Clark Kent/Kal-EL that everyone knows.

Now that Chloe has been added to the DC Universe - this show becomes part of the mythos. It has been interesting to see the votes go from an overwhelming "Yes" to where it is a dead tie (statistically).

The comics (after being purchased from the creators) were used for making money. One would assume since so many viewers have left the show that somebody would catch on. On the other hand - it's the demographic they are after that wants Clana. They couldn't give a rip about the mythos or the original storyline. The addition of Chloe to the story line now acknowledges the impact of the series, like it or not.

The show has made it this far BECAUSE of the current storyline and its ability to attract the audience it does. The former Superman story does not. That's the bottom line. The Superman we knew is gone. It wasn't Doomsday that did it, it was the dying $.

Comment

Originally posted by jor-eldeux

Now that Chloe has been added to the DC Universe - this show becomes part of the mythos. It has been interesting to see the votes go from an overwhelming "Yes" to where it is a dead tie (statistically).
      Unless I'm mistaken, Chloe was never actually added to anything other than Smallville (as far as DC goes).

From Wikipedia:
      Comic books

Although Chloe appears alongside her television cohorts in the bi-monthly Smallville comic book series,[29] which even featured tie-ins to the Chloe Chronicles webisodes,[30] the character has yet to make an appearance in the mainstream DC Comics Universe. At the 2007 WonderCon, DC Comics representatives announced that they had made plans to introduce the character of Chloe Sullivan into DC comics continuity in Superman #674 and 675, for a March and April 2008 release.[31][32] According to writer Kurt Busiek, the problem of bringing Chloe into the mainstream comic book universe, and keeping her television background, was that she would have filled two roles: "the Girl from Back Home and the Reporter". Unfortunately for the character, those roles were already "pretty solidly filled" by the adult comic book versions of Lana Lang and Lois Lane. The plan was to give the character a different background, so that she could take a role that was distinct from both Lana and Lois. In this case, Busiek hoped to make Chloe the younger sister of someone Clark had gone to school with, who was a now interning at the Daily Planet. Busiek believed that this would make her different from Lana and Lois, but still familiar to readers who also watched the show. Another distinguishing feature would be that this version of Chloe would not know Clark’s secret, nor would she be meteor infected.[33] Ultimately, "the stars did not align", and DC Comics decided that the character of Chloe Sullivan would not be adapted into the mainstream.[34]
      Last edited by Mrs. Superman; 02-02-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

When did Smallville, become part of the Superman mythos?

Comment

smallville will always be about superman... it's clark kent, martha kent, jonathon kent, lex luthor, lois lane, perry white, pete ross, lana lang, the justice league, jimmy olsen, the 's' symbol, kara, brainiac, bizarro, metallo, doomsday, mercy, zod etc etc

so no it won't ever be forgotten

what the question is, is whether or not it was part of the mainstream mythos or an AU world...

the thing is though, i'd prefer it if it was just an AU

then i could LOVE IT! because it is the best AU superman story i have ever come across, and definitly the longest running

but there are so many problems with it fitting in with the 'normal' superman story...

Comment

I wish that they could start tying up loose ends, instead of creating more unheard of characters and unrelated storylines. I mean there are a few things that, if they really wanted to, they could change to make everything fit by using that magic storyline wand called time-travel. They could always send someone back in time, kill off a character, remove an item, change a setting, or any number of things to fix the Smallville storyline to match canon. It's a cheap ploy, but they have already proven that they aren't too low to use it when they feel they have done irreparable damage. I personally hope they do because I always wanted this to be a real Superman story, and have secretly hoped since day one that TW/CK/SM and MR/Lex would make it into at least one real Superman movie as nemeses (unfortunately I know that can never happen ).

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎