Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you like Lana's storyline in "Power"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon-el87
    So, in order to become empowered, Lana has to get superpowers? She has pretty much been a victim her whole life, scared and now she gets powers, to end all that... That's not empowerment. That's the same thing, as you getting a gun, that you carry around with you, at all times (you're still scared). Having a gun, doesn't make you powerful. In fact, it can even make you dangerous, in some situations.
    Empowering would be Lana, learning how to fend for herself (like she tried to do, in one episode of season 2, when she trained slef-defense).

I am rewatching season 8 I just finished this episode. And it just made me mad all over again. I agree with you. Lana is just such a mess. She kept looking for other thing/ppl to make her a whole person or give her a purpose and she need to look within herself. She is always be searching if she keeps looking outward. And the the Clark+Lana just..ugh..

Comment

I don't have a problem with the idea of Lana getting powers (potentially becoming a superhero). It's happened plenty of times in the comics (not to mention, "Valkyrie" shows her losing her powers and ending her superhero career in 2012. So, her activities lasted about three years). The Silver Age/Bronze Age Lana Lang (whom I think Lana is closer to than the post-COIE Lana Lang) got powers (and became a superhero) every few years. Twice in her teenage years, she got a special belt, that granted her powers (only for the belt to be taken away and destroyed, by the end of both stories).

My problems are about the execution. There was no build up to it. Lana's penultimate episode began and suddenly she was giving herself superpowers. They could've done this whole thing easier. Lana was wearing a green K necklace, for the better part of 12 years (constantly exposing her cells to a mutagenic radiation). As we saw with Chloe, someone can be a latent metahuman (after exposure to Kryptonite) for years, before their powers manifest. Perhaps, since her last appearance in season 7, Lana could've begun to manifest metahuman abilities (with her spending the past few months learning how to control them). Then already have powers, when she comes back to Smallville (with little hints in "Bride", "Legion" and "Bulletproof"), which she reveals to Clark in this episode. With this episode having her come to terms with and accepting that she is now a metahuman.

No engaging in self-harm or having a need to change herself, because she feels inferior to Clark (which is what her line about being Clark's equal now came across like), the boy that she changes herself for. Lana wants to make herself stronger, so she seeks out a man, who gets her to touch hot metal and take ice baths. Not only do I not like the idea of harmful behavior being presented as a means of making you stronger, but it makes me really makes me even more uncomfortable, when you consider the fact that this episode was directed by Allison Mack (okay, she didn't write it, but she was involved in the production side of things). Not to mention, Lana's played by Kristin Kreuk (who, if I'm not mistaken, was given some saying in Lana's development for the season). Because of that, one can't help but to look at this episode as a metaphor for a certain group that both women were involved with. It's like when you look at an older episode of Law & Order Special Victim Unit, where the offender of the week, is played by someone who have since been revealed to really be a sex criminal.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎