No announcement yet.

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 3 - Teaser

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 3 - Teaser

Teaser: Time Shards continues with my first big story of 2009. Time Shards 3

Some Clana, some Clois, and guest starring Shayera Hol - Hawkgirl

Orange Shard - UltraVIlle

Scene: The Kent Farm

The Eye of Rao directed Clark’s next choice for a time shard. He spilled out onto the gravel access road leading to the North Pasture. He felt something! Clark’s elbow was skinned and bleeding, which was never a good sign. Had this shard robbed him of his powers?

Clark quickly glanced around, and there was no visible kryptonite in the area. He didn’t feel the nausea and dizziness usually associated with a drop in his effective abilities. As a test, he tried to focus his x-ray vision…nothing! Superman was indeed powerless.

“Now what?” he grumbled, unsure as to whether the Eye of Rao would work without his supernatural powers. “This is the last time I use this damn thing!” Clark muttered. If that was true, he’d failed again. This time the failure would be spectacular. What if he couldn’t find his way back to the true reality? Earth would be devastated, possibly sooner than later.

Clark got up, dusted himself off, rubbed his sore elbow, and began walking towards the farmhouse. The trail seemed exceptionally long, but he realized that he was walking at the common speed of a human. It would take some getting used to, not zipping about.

This can’t be how it ends, he considered in silence. No saving the world, no Lois, no Lana, no Chloe, no nothing. He would be an ordinary farmer. Maybe this was his true fate? He analyzed. After all, Earth had been here long before he came, and despite Darkseid, would be here long after…he died.

Death had been Superman’s constant companion over his last one hundred years of real life. Kara, his Kryptonian cousin, and Laura Lake, the highly genetically modified metahuman, had been the last important people in his lengthy life to die. Clark’s thoughts clouded as he increased his pace.

Superman pulled out the Eye of Rao again. The first five facets, containing blue, green, amber, amethyst, and violet shards were dimly lit. The orange one, which he was in, gleamed brightly, an indicator of where he was. The last three facets, scarlet, golden yellow, and white remained dark.

Clark shook his head, hoping that the gem’s darkness didn’t mean that his failing journey was over. Did it simply indicate that those shards hadn’t come into existence yet? He wondered as he approached the yellow and white ranch house where the Kents had raised him.

Before he reached the porch, a red convertible sports car roared up the unpaved driveway, skidding to a stop a mere few feet from where Clark was standing. He hadn’t flinched, though if the car had hit him, it likely could have killed him. He wasn’t used to being powerless at all.

Lois Lane stepped out carefully, staggering slightly as she spied him. Clark was glad to see a familiar face, though he had no idea how this shard’s Lois would react. As she drew closer, Superman noted that Lois looked tired, haggard, and worn out. Her usually cute face was thin and her eyes were dark.

Lois’s hair was long, straggly and reddish blonde! Clark didn’t care for that look at all. She stood face to face with him, and he observed that she was far too skinny, and her cheekbones were gaunt. Clearly, his most famous love hadn’t been taking care of herself. “Hi Lois.” He forced a smile.

“Clark, it’s good to see you.” Lois’s voice seemed weak and harsh. She hugged him, and Clark felt how slight her frame had become. She couldn’t have weighed all that much, he thought.
    “So, how are you?” Clark asked warily, afraid of what she might say. “Much better, now that I’ve found you.” Lois’s voice was a hair above a whisper. Without his super hearing, Clark could barely make out what she said. “Oh? Was I lost?” He quipped lamely. Lois backed away, and grinned thinly.

“No, but I was.” Lois said tearfully. “I’m leaving him for good this time.” Clark was puzzled, though the hairs stood up on the back of his neck, a decidedly human reaction. “Who?” He asked. Lois frowned. “Who? Lex, that’s who!” She snapped. Clark felt nauseous, and this time it had nothing to do with kryptonite. He recoiled slightly, and gathered his thoughts.

“Good for you, I guess.” Clark spat out. Lois cocked her head. “You’ve been after me for years to dump him, and now I finally had the guts to do it.” Superman winced. He recalled Lana saying something similar in one of the past shards, possibly the original reality that he’d come from.

“Will you be staying in Smallville?” Clark asked, politely making conversation. “Smallville? Where’s that?” Lois folded her thin arms across her chest. “You mean, am I leaving Reeves Grove, don’t you?” Clark nodded, thoroughly puzzled. “Of course, I’m just tired.” He replied lamely. Which was in fact, the truth.

“There was a town here called something else, I can’t remember what. Too many cocktail parties over the years, I wonder about my mental faculties sometimes.” Lois added. “It was literally wiped off the map by a massive meteor shower, and twin tornadoes that obliterated the place.”

Clark’s hearing finally picked up the trotting hooves of a horse nearby. A black and white mare with a slim female rider approached. He turned his attention from Lois to the area immediately beyond the farmhouse. Two pick up trucks sat in the back driveway between the barn and the corral.

The rider put the horse into a stop, and agilely hopped off, landing softly in the dusty gravel. The woman was around twenty, with long black hair pulled tightly into a lengthy ponytail. She wore tight blue jeans, a red flannel shirt, and brownish gold cowboy boots.

“You! What the hell are you doing here?” The young woman shouted angrily. Clark was at a loss for a guess as to whom she was referring to. The rider slipped off her black leather gloves, and headed towards them aggressively. Clark gulped when the woman got close enough for him to identify.

“Lana Lang!” Lois spat and grimaced, like she’d swallowed something spoiled. “That’s right, Lane, and what the hell are you doing on my farm?” Clark’s eyes widened. Her farm? “Actually, Lang, the farm still belongs to the Kents.” Lois corrected the annoyed girl.

“Yeah, well in a few months when I become Lana Lang-Kent, it will be our family’s farm.” Lana hissed and immediately came up to Clark, and kissed him passionately, like a lioness marking her turf. Clark didn’t resist. It had been so long since he’d kissed Lana, or any woman for that matter.

Lois glanced at her feet, clearly upset at seeing Lana and her possessive display. Lana unclenched from Clark, and stalked into the house without another word. Clark was mad at how Lana had treated Lois, especially given the fact that Lois was obviously in need of some kind of help.

“I guess I’d better go, Clark.” Lois began to tearfully back away. “Good luck at the wedding.” Clark’s stomach hurt, in yet another common human reaction. “Lois, wait. Would you care to come in for lunch?” He needed to get to the bottom of this shard, and see if it had any relevancy at all.

“I don’t think so. Thanks.” Lois turned on her heel, wiping the tears from her cheek.
    “Now listen Lois, it’s still my house, and I say that you could stay for lunch. If Lana doesn’t like it, that’s too bad.” Clark offered gallantly. “Honestly, you look like you could use a good home cooked meal. Not that I’m an expert chef or anything.”

“I’d appreciate that, but I don’t want to cause any trouble between you and your fiancé.” Lois forced a thin grin. “She’ll just have to deal!” Clark smirked. “We all need friends.” Lois wiped the remaining tears from her cheeks and followed Clark up the front stairs. He held the door open for her.

Lois entered the kitchen, and Lana dropped her coffee mug. It shattered on the floor. “How dare you?” Lana snapped. Clark was about to respond, when he noticed that his Earth mother, Martha Kent, had turned from washing the morning dishes to face them.

Martha looked to be about the same age as she’d been in the original time line. She wore a nice flowered blue blouse, and well-worn comfortable looking blue jeans. “I assume you’re going to clean that up, young lady!” She gently chastised Lana.

“Mom, you remember Lois Lane?” Clark purposely ignored Lana’s evil stares. “Oh yes, Lex Luthor’s girlfriend, how are you? What brings you out here to the sticks?” Martha made pleasant conversation. “It’s obvious, Mother Kent!” Lana shouted. “She’s here to try and steal my boyfriend!” Clark rolled his eyes. “Don’t be ridiculous, Lana. No one steals anyone’s boyfriend.”

“Listen, you worthless skank!” Lana challenged Lois, who looked hurt by the aggressive girl’s tone. “Just because Lex, your sugar daddy dumped you, doesn’t mean that you can come back here, you strumpet!” Lois was about to cry again. Martha threw the dishcloth at the sink angrily.

“Lana Louise Lang! You apologize right now!” Martha put her hands on her hips. “That’s no way for a young lady to act! Miss Lane is a guest in my house!” Lana silenced and glanced away from them. She wouldn’t apologize. “Mom, I’ve asked Lois to stay for lunch, is that okay?” Clark asked calmly.

“Of course, dear.” Martha began digging out another set of plates. “I will not eat at the same table as that…” Lana began, but she was cutoff by a deep male voice behind her. “Fine, then you’ll eat outside, young lady!” Jonathan Kent said sternly. “I’ll do just that!” Lana hissed, grabbing a plate.

“Dad!” Clark was so happy to see his long dead father, that he forgot momentarily that this was a different reality. “Maybe I should just go, thank you for the invite, Mrs. Kent, Mr. Kent. See you Clark. Good luck.” You’ll need it, she thought. “Lana, congratulations on your engagement. You’ve landed a fine man.” and you don’t deserve him, she added sourly, but silently.

Lois turned around, gently pressing Clark’s arm, and left quickly. “I hope you’re proud of yourself, Lana!” Clark admonished her. “That was very mature! I suppose you didn’t notice that Lois was in bad shape and could’ve used our help.” Jonathan flashed a grin at his son’s level of maturity.

“Clark, she’s bad news!” Lana said in a more conciliatory tone. “She and Lex have tormented all of Reeves Grove over the years. Have you forgotten that he foreclosed on my Aunt Nell’s flower shop? Foreclosed on our favorite coffee shop, The Talon? Foreclosed on dozens of our neighbors’ farms?”

“I’m sure Lex and Lois aren’t perfect, Lana, but there’s two sides to every story.” Clark added. “Did you stop and think that Lois may be trying to turn her life around?” Jonathan proudly patted Clark on the back as Martha smiled. The kids are finally growing up, she thought wistfully.

“That’s fine, Clark.” Lana said sheepishly, “But she can turn her life around without your help.”
    “Honey, could you call Kara downstairs for lunch?” Martha asked Clark. Lana resumed her duties setting the table, listening as Lois’s sports car roared off into the distance. “Sure, mom!” Clark was curious to see what his younger cousin was up to in this time line. He slowly went upstairs.

He spotted four closed doors on the second level. The ranch house was now a four bedroom split- level. The first room he entered was fairly clean, with pink curtains on the windows, trimmed with white lace. He saw a small pile of common girl’s clothes in a corner. Lana’s room? He guessed.

When had Lana moved in? Clark wondered silently, before going on to the next room. The windows had blue curtains with red sashes, and a pile of men’s clothes in another corner. My room, he assumed, and moved on to the last room in the upstairs. He knocked on the door politely.

“Kara? It’s time for lunch!” He called into the room. Silence. A moment later Kara answered. Clark was shocked to see her and the disarray her room was in. “Whatever, Clark. What was all the commotion?” His younger cousin asked. Kara wore dark eye shadow, bright ruby red lipstick, and had her long blonde hair wrapped tightly in dreadlocks. He didn’t care for her look at all.

Kara’s room was decorated from ceiling to floor with obscure rock band posters, black curtains, and a matching black bedspread. Her clothes, mostly black and blue colored, were strewn about the room haphazardly.

“What’re you staring at?” Kara asked smartly. “I’ll clean my room when I feel like it. We can’t all be perfect like you.” She pushed passed him, bad attitude and all. Clark shook his head. Kara was acting like a typical teenager, which worried him to no end.

The strange lunch was atypically silent, with Clark trying to get a handle on what this time shard was all about. The Eye of Rao had directed him specifically to this time line. As of yet, it seemed irrelevant, though he enjoyed the company of his ‘family that could’ve been’.

Jonathan, Martha, Kara, and Lana all surrounded him, though he couldn’t help feeling bad for this time line’s Lois. Was his alternate family dysfunctional, or unusually normal? Clark still hadn’t sorted it all out yet. The girls were the first to finish eating and clean up.

Clark sat back with Jonathan and Martha, waiting for one of them to give some clue as to what was going on in the world. “I’m heading over to Lucy’s.” Kara announced without any further explanation. “Just a minute, young lady.” Jonathan stopped Kara in her tracks.

“Are your chores done?” Jonathan asked. “Yes, Uncle John.” Kara replied automatically. “And how about your homework?” Martha put in. “All set and ready for you to check, Aunt Martha.” Mrs. Kent nodded. “Fine. You can go.” Mr. Kent decided, and Kara was gone. Clark wondered if she still had her powers. It didn’t appear that she had, but Kara wasn’t interested in sharing any family time.

“I worry about that girl.” Martha commented. Lana was reclining in the living room chair, and hadn’t said a word to Clark since Lois left. Since when is Lana a drama queen? Clark mused silently. “She’s a good girl, Martha. “ Jonathan reassured her. “Kara just needs to find her own way.”

“Mom, how long has Kara been living here?” Clark asked suspiciously. Jonathan stared at him blankly. “Since we adopted her from the Kansas Orphanage, thirteen years ago, why, son?” Jonathan answered. “I guess I sort of lost track of time.” Clark said truthfully. Literally, he thought.

Just outside, a slim shadow crossed the grassy lawn between the barn and the ranch house. A distinct thump was heard, as a young woman landed, perched atop the barn roof. The flyer had long red hair, and carried a dangerous looking mace.

She glanced around in dismay...

more coming soon.
    Last edited by gardy1; 04-09-2009, 10:51 AM. Reason: chapter update

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 3

Inspired by the movie “Push”

Episode 1 - Ring

Clark stood on the wrap around front porch gazing out over the farm. “This is great.” He mused aloud. My father’s alive, Lana loves me, Kara seems like an average pouting teenager, and Lois…well, she’s going to need my help, powers or no powers.

The fluttering of wings behind him interrupted his thoughts. “Kal El!” An angry woman’s voice sounded like a shout, coming from nearby. Clark whirled to face…Shayera Hol, The Thanagarian Hawkgirl. She removed a golden brown beaked mask from her petite face.

Clark respected her privacy, usually, but wondered why the beautiful alien would insist on covering up her face. It had been quite a while, literally a lifetime, since he’d seen her. Clark recalled that above all, Shayera was a warrior. She was never one to play a glamour queen.

Superman remembered that he was in an alternate time line, so who knew what Shayera was up to. He’d have to test her. “Where did you hear that name?” He grilled the alien beauty as she folded her silky golden white wings behind her. Shayera picked at a colorful necklace that she wore.

The Hawkgirl’s wings became translucent, and then disappeared. This was her mostly human disguise. Uneducated cultures would call her a goddess, or an angel or demon, but Clark knew that she was just different, like him. There was no mistaking her mace, a powerful weapon unique to her culture, which was made from a mysterious substance called Nth Metal.

“Kal El! You confessed to me your real name when we discussed your true nature.” Shayera said with a slight alien accent. “How do you know me?” Clark continued to test her, trying her patience. “What? We were always good friends. I’d actually considered taking you as my lover, yet you never really thought about that, did you?” Shayera countered.

Clark reddened. “That was a different lifetime ago.” Shayera swung her mace elegantly over one shoulder, and than the other, exercising her muscles. “No, Clark. That is this current lifetime, relative to where we are in time and space. Did you think that I wouldn’t notice you going back and forth through time? Thanagarians perfected time shift slipping.”

“On Thanagar, we used time shifting as a weapon to surprise our most lethal enemies.” Shayera continued, stretching leisurely in the late afternoon sun. “There was only one enemy that we couldn’t best with our time lording.” Her bright green eyes lit up as she concentrated on Clark’s face.

“Darkseid!” Superman snapped. “Yes. Darkseid was too wise for even our advanced technology.” Shayera confirmed. “My question is why are you here? This time shard offers you nothing. You’ll not find the answers you seek here.” Shayera made eye contact with him.

“How do you know what I’m seeking?” Clark countered. “It is obvious that you’ve chosen to go back in time to change some catastrophic event.” Shayera guessed correctly. “It must be horrible, given your penchant for sticking to the rules, Boy Scout.” She joked. “By going back in time you’ve chosen to disregard any rules, written or unwritten.”

“You’re right.” Superman admitted. “Of course I am.” Shayera said haughtily. “The one thing that makes me change the rules in my favor is…the destruction of Earth.” Clark informed her. “That, and the loss of your one true love, Lois Lane.” Shayera added.

Clark glanced away. “There was another…” he began before Shayera cut him off. “Yes, now I remember. Lana Lang, your first love.” As if on cue, Lana gazed out the window at them, and dashed out onto the porch. “Get away from him, you demon!” Lana shouted as she lifted her hands before her. “Demon?” Shayera took offense at the term.

“You don’t know what a demon is, child.” Shayera faced Lana. “Now, just a minute…” Clark protested, fearing a confrontation between the two distinctly different women. Before he could explain, Lana placed her palms forward, and physically shoved the air in front of her.

An invisible blast of energy emanated from Lana’s hands, as the air between them seemed to take a solid form. The energy surge hit Shayera directly in the midsection, and the alien warrior tumbled backwards, tearing through a fence, and the barn wall, before righting herself.

“Wow!” Clark managed to get out, before he realized the danger that Lana was in. Shayera, extremely pissed, sprouted her wings and charged at Lana, darting towards her like a raptor chasing its prey. Lana was ready, however, and changed her hands’ positions slightly.

As Shayera swooped down low, Lana created an energy bubble. The alien warrior bounced off of the surprise shield, like a giant bird hitting a window. The Thanagarian somersaulted sideways, landing hard on the gravel road, skidding to a stop. Clark gaped, powerless to stop the melee.

“Lana! Calm down! Shayera’s a friend!” Clark shouted. “A friend? That creature is a friend?” Lana scoffed. Shayera cursed vehemently in her native language, rubbing her arm, and then her backside. “What foolishness is this?” Shayera complained as she stood back up.

“First, Lana, relax.” Superman calmed his unusually powered girlfriend. Lana retracted her miniature force field, and Shayera stalked towards them waving her mace menacingly. “Shayera! Let it go! I’m looking for an explanation, not a brawl.” Clark yelled angrily. By now, Mr. and Mrs. Kent had come outside to witness the bizarre melee. They silently watched, apparently not surprised by Lana’s talent.

“Lana, where did you get those powers?” Clark began the questioning as Shayera retracted her wings, and slowed her pace, swinging the mace over her back. “I’ve always been…uh…different, Clark, you know that.” Lana began weakly. Clearly the display of power had fatigued her. “Do I?” He retorted.

“Please tell me that you are not one of Lex Luthor’s evil creations?” Jonathan asked Shayera. “No, Mr. Kent, I am from another world, and Clark is my friend.” She said unconvincingly. “An alien?” Martha wasn’t really shocked. “I prefer traveler.” Shayera said as she stopped beside Clark.

“Lana! Clark! We’ll discuss this later.” Jonathan ordered, in an attempt to gain control of the situation. “Why are you here?” Lana challenged. Shayera sighed. “I was expecting to speak with Kal El!” She snapped. Clark rolled his eyes. “There’s no Kal El here, young lady.” Jonathan said angrily.

“Mom, Dad, Lana…let me handle this!” Clark decided for them. “You’d better not ‘handle’ her.” Lana warned jealously. She turned on her heel and followed Jonathan and Martha into the house. Clark sighed. “What was that all about?” He asked Shayera rhetorically.

“Did you think that your time exploits wouldn’t affect the outcome of the past, present, and future? Clark, by streaming through time, you’ve unknowingly created several different Earths, with several different fates. Humans don’t really have the intellectual capacity to comprehend this.”

“I’m not human.” Clark defended. “Really? In this time you are!” Shayera said shortly. “That is why I’ve come back through time, breaking about a dozen Justice League rules. We all created a non-interference pact with Earth’s past, present, and future.” Shayera shocked him with the revelation.

“You helped craft those rules, Kal El.” She pointed an accusatory finger at him. “That may very well be, Shayera, but guess what? That didn’t work. I failed to protect Earth by not defeating Darkseid. His black fleet decimated Earth about two hundred years from now.”

The beautiful alien patted Clark on the back. “We have all failed Earth, my friend. Even the Justice League had underestimated that true demon.” Shayera said, consoling him. “By going back in time you’ve fractured Earth’s fate into several possible futures. In one of them, Earth will win.”

Only now did Clark realize the multilayered concept. “So, I’ve been wasting my time, literally.” He commented, gazing down at his feet. “Not completely, Kal El. This time shard is merely a dalliance, with you reclaiming an ex-lover. As I understand your mission, we must gather the Justice League together in a more realistic time shard, much earlier than we had done before.”

“Where did Lana get those powers? In my past, I don’t recall such an ability by anyone.” Clark was still mystified. “It’s possible that you’ve created a new reality, that never existed before.” Shayera guessed. “You can always ask her. Yes?”

“True. If she has some kind of device…” Superman began. “Then we may be able to abscond with it, and improve our overall chances against Darkseid and his many minions.” Shayera agreed.

more on the way
    Last edited by gardy1; 04-09-2009, 10:52 AM. Reason: spellcheck

Comment

AWESOME start! Can't wait to read more!!!

Comment

Time Shards 3 - Orange Shard

PG-13 a little steamy...

“There are still a few things that I’d like to do in this time shard.” Clark said as Shayera grinned lustily. “I’m sure there are, Kal El.” Clark reddened. “I’m one that’s fallen victim to reclaiming a former lover on more than one occasion. Don’t let Lana distract you from your overall mission.” Shayera added, “More than the fate of Earth hangs on the balance of your success.”

“You have the Eye of Rao?” The winged beauty questioned. “Sure. It’s right here.” Clark pulled the fist-sized amulet from his pocket. “To restore your powers, you must first return to the Fortress of Solitude.” Shayera instructed. The Thanagarian warrior settled on the ground before him.

“Climb atop my back, be careful of the wings, and where you place your hands!” Shayera warned playfully. Clark reluctantly complied. “Ugh! You’re no lighter without your powers!” She complained. “If you say ‘giddy-up’ I shall personally smash your head with my mace!”

Clark silently grabbed Shayera’s waist, working his hold up to her ribcage, and straddled her lower back. “My hope is that this will be a quick flight!” Shayera grumbled as she rose slowly into the sky, silvery-white wings flapping. Lana watched in horror from her bedroom window, cursing vehemently.

Martha worked her way into the room. “Lana, you still don’t understand.” She said calmly. “Clark loves you, but he can never be satisfied as just your boyfriend, sidekick, and lover. He has to face his own destiny.” Lana sniffled. “I know, Martha, but why can’t he just stay here?” She whined. “I’ve been a good girlfriend, and now we’re on the verge of a lifetime commitment.”

Shayera and Clark flew towards the icy northlands. In his human form, he shivered from the intense cold. Shayera darted across the Wastelands, aware that Clark’s physiology couldn’t last for long. “What if someone sees us?” Clark’s teeth chattered as he spoke.

“Does it matter?” Shayera countered, as she swung low above a glacial formation. “This timeline shouldn’t exist at all. With the luck of the powers that be, it will disappear with the rest, as your mission becomes resolute.”

Shayera dove toward what remained of the ice fortress. Only a handful of the pristine Kryptonian crystals shown above the ice pack. “Apparently, I must dig you an entrance as well.” Shayera muttered as she slowed to a stop, briefly faltering in the icy air. She landed clumsily. “Get off!” She demanded, flipping Clark into a snow bank and laughing playfully.

Shayera pounded the edge of the ice shelf with her mace, and immediately split the ice pack covering the fortress. Layer after layer of the snow crackled apart until there was an opening large enough for Clark to drop through. He quickly located the main crystal control panel.

Frostbite was beginning to set in, as Clark floundered around for a pink crystal. He dug the six-inch piece out of the snow and jammed it into the proper crystal partition. Suddenly, the ice fortress came to life, whirring, as it’s hum was barely audible above the din of the icy howling winds beyond it.

Shayera flew in, landing gracefully by Clark’s side. “This ice fortress fits you, Kal El. It reminds me of the Polar Regions on Thanagar. We sent many fledgling warriors there to test their survival mettle.” Clark winced as more of the intense cold took hold. “Charming.” He growled.

The fortress brought itself up in temperature, melting the years of snowfall that had covered it, and creating a silvery icy moat around it. “Jor El?” Clark called into the empty crystalline halls. Silence. “Perhaps he isn’t at home?” Shayera needled.

Without a word, blue, green, and pink lights played across the glistening walls. Clark felt a blast of energy from above. It seemed to quickly warm his blood, and soon he was back to normal. Shayera watched in amazement. “I’ve never been here before.” She admitted. Clark eyed her suspiciously.

“Then how’d you know it was here?” He inquired. “Apparently you must’ve told me, adding to the fact that a trained Thanagarian warrior has an uncanny knack for locating anything.” Shayera huddled close to Clark, surprising him. “Are you cold?” He asked as he reddened.

“No, in fact, I’m quite warm now, though I’d be warmer in your arms.” Shayera flirted. Clark was tempted to take her up on her ‘offer’. “Didn’t you just finish telling me not to be distracted from my mission?” Clark hedged. “No, what I said was, don’t let Lana distract you from your mission.”

Sometime later, Clark’s eyes opened, as Shayera’s bright reddish gold hair brushed beneath his nose. The Thanagarian warrior had been quite persuasive. She cuddled against his bare chest. Shayera’s eyes widened. “Well done, Kal El!” She stood and began to put her clothes back on. “Come! There is still much to do.” Shayera was all business again, grabbing her mace.

“I can’t believe you talked me into that!” Clark complained. “Talk was not on my agenda.” Shayera countered playfully, as she kissed him one more time. “Obviously.” Clark forced a smile. He had to admit that being with Shayera was well worth it, but it had been pointless. “Thanagarian women are used to getting what they want, Kal El!” She smirked with satisfaction.

“Okay, but what about the fact that this would all disappear, like it never happened?” Clark pressed the point as he put his clothes on. “It doesn’t matter, Kal El.” Shayera debated. “I had to wait for you to get your powers back. Unfortunately most human males are too fragile for Thanagarian women.”

“Now, I’ve cheated on Lana!” Clark grumbled. “That is not your Lana, Kal El.” Shayera pointed out, quickly losing her patience. “That woman is what you would call a meteor freak. That ring that she has, though, is of alien origin, I’m certain of it.” Shayera stretched her aching muscles.

“Before we leave this timeline, you must find out where she got it.” Shayera directed. “You want me to steal it from her?” Clark was upset. “If you must, yes.” Shayera smirked lustily, kissing Clark again. “You could always charm it off her finger!” She teased. “Let’s go! I take it you can fly back to Smallville under your own power?”

Shayera bolted upwards, flapping her wings slowly at first, before circling the fortress waiting for Clark to follow. He vaulted up through the opening, and to his surprise, Clark flew beside her easily. Perhaps she’d inspired him into flight?

The super powered aliens soared back to Kansas, careful not to be seen by all of Metropolis. Given that this time line would likely cease to exist, Clark still didn’t want to cause unwarranted chaos. Shayera flew ahead of him, satisfied that she’d completed her own personal mission. The rest was up to Clark.

more...

Comment

This is totally awesome!!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 3 - Orange Shard

PG-13

As Shayera soared on towards the sunset, Clark sheepishly made his way into the Kent farmhouse. Lana sat by the television silently with a very pissed off expression on her face. He tried to enter the den, only to be rejected, bouncing backwards off of Lana’s ring’s force field.

“Lana, we need to talk.” Clark began, as that usual pain in his stomach returned. “I’ve nothing to say to you, Clark.” Lana hissed. “Go find your feathered freak of a girlfriend. We’re through!” Clark sighed. This won’t be easy, he mused. I guess charming the ring off her finger is out.

I’ll have to be more devious, Clark determined. Now that I have my powers back, I’ll just zip into her bedroom at night and grab the ring. He decided to let Lana cool off, and headed right back out into the night. The fact that Lois was unhappy and miserable played on his good nature.

Clark found himself drawn to a medium-sized townhouse built on the land where the Talon had once stood. Reeves Grove, he mentally noted, not Smallville. The subdivision was called Langford Gardens, as indicated by the sign above the moderately priced gated community.

It was a small matter to zip past the lone security guard who drowsily watched the inky black night for any sign of movement. Clark super-sped up and down the circular cul-de-sacs, choosing not to garner any attention by flying. He read every mailbox until he found one familiar name. “L. Lane. 3G” he read aloud. It was growing late, but Clark saw that a light was still on in 3G.

He buzzed the downstairs button. It would have been easy for him to just fly up to the window, and peer in, but he didn’t want to startle Lois. “Yes?” a younger female voice answered. She was familiar, but certainly wasn’t Lois. “Clark Kent. Is Lois there?” He spoke into the intercom.

“Sure. Just a minute.” The younger female replied. “Come on up.” She directed as the condo’s door unlatched, with a loud ding. Clark gingerly went in and up the stairs to the third floor apartment. He knocked as quietly as he could on the 3G door, so as not to annoy the neighbors, and attract any unwarranted attention.

“Hi.” Clark began sheepishly, as Lucy Lane let him in. Lois was hurriedly fixing her hair, and slapping on an extra swipe of bright red lipstick. “Lucy? How are you?” He politely addressed Lois’s younger sibling. “Fine.” She said simply, unsure of what to make of Clark’s late call.

“How’s the…uh…farm?” Lucy stalled, covering for her errant sister. “Great. The crops are wonderful, and cattle are healthy. The chickens are producing…” Clark played along, waiting for Lois to put the finishing touches on her makeup.

“Did I come at a bad time?” Clark flushed. “No! Not at all!” Lois rushed into the living room, nearly tripping over Lucy on the way in. “I mean, it looks like you’re going out.” Clark added lamely as Lucy rolled her eyes. “Oh? This old thing?” Lois swayed, wearing a nice conservative black dress.

“How’s it going?” Clark allowed Lois to grab his hand and guide him over to the couch. Lucy suddenly felt like a third wheel. “Fine.” Lois glanced over her shoulder to see what her younger sibling was up to. Fortunately Lucy’s cell phone rang. She answered. “Oh! Hi Jimmy!”

Lucy’s conversation faded into the background as Clark and Lois’s eyes met. “Look, I’m sorry about the way Lana treated you today. Sometimes, she’s so immature!” Clark began clumsily. He couldn’t believe that he was talking trash about the first love of his life.

“Yeah, well, you know.” Lois didn’t quite know how to respond. “Kids today!” Lois cuddled in uncomfortably close to Clark. “How’s it really going, Lois?” He tried to be more serious. She sighed with disgust. “Now that Lex and I are through, I’ll have to get a real job!” Lois said cynically. “That whole princess in the castle routine doesn’t really work for me.”

“Didn’t you always like Journalism?” Clark guessed that even in this alternate time shard, Lois might basically be the same. “I guess so. I never gave it much thought.” She seemed very confused to Clark, and more interested in physical contact then an in depth conversation.

“Clark, can I be honest with you?” Lois began, “Meaning, can I trust you?” Clark nodded. “Sure. You don’t even have to ask.” He reassured the skittish woman. “Thanks. That means a lot.” Lois kissed him on the cheek. “Can you help me kill Lex?” Clark was horrified.

“What? Lois! You just can’t kill Lex!” Clark nearly spat, ruining the romance of the moment. “I’ll never be rid of him any other way.” Lois added tearfully. “No! There’s always another way. You and he aren’t married, are you?” Clark forced his tone to quiet down.

“No. What does that matter?” Lois wiped a tear from one eye. “Once Lex has something he doesn’t ever want to let it go.” She whined. “He’ll just have to let you go.” Clark was growing angry. “As long as you don’t demand anything from him, like money, cars, buildings, whatever, just tell him you two are through, and if he harasses you, file a restraining order against him.”

“You make it sound so simple.” Lois sniffled. “It is that simple.” Clark explained. “You don’t understand, Clark. He’ll kill me before he’ll see me with another man.” Lois was shaking. Clark took a deep breath. “Lois, as long as I’m alive, Lex will not harm you. Be sure of that!”

Lois was still crying, but managed to kiss Clark all the same. “Thanks. What about Lana? I don’t want to get in the way of your happiness. Ever since I met you two, I’ve admired the love that you share.” Clark shrugged. “People change. Lana isn’t the same girl that I fell in love with.”

“Start at the beginning, Lois.” Clark encouraged. “When did you and Lex first hook up?” Lois rubbed the black running eye shadow from her cheeks and settled in next to Clark, putting his arm around her shoulders.

“It all started that nasty day six years ago, when I rescued Lex from his Porsche. He was drunk, and had crashed into a reservoir, nearly running me down in the process. The retention pond was merely a few miles from my temporary home, Fort Ryan AFB.”

Flashback Sequence:

We see Lois riding a ten-speed bicycle, and Lex’s weaving gray and black Porsche skidding across the median, brushing the back tire of Lois’s bike, and causing her to fall off, rolling to the side. His car tears through a guardrail, and speeds off the bridge and falls into the center of the retention pond. The water’s roughly twenty feet deep.

Lois screams and runs down the embankment, diving into the water, and pulling Lex’s car door open, she drags him to the surface, and gives him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and a quick blast of CPR, pushing down hard on his chest.

Soon Lex coughs up the pond water and smiles. “Thank you.” He croaks. Lois retrieves her cell phone from the mangled bike’s backpack and calls for help.

The local police fill out the accident reports, and we see Lex handing an old white haired sheriff a thick white envelope, presumably a payoff to toss the accident report on the back burner. Her father, General Sam Lane, in a Military Police jeep, picks up Lois.
            Present time, alternative universe:

“Ever since then, Lex has been obsessed with me.” Lois explains tearfully. “At first I thought it was sweet. Lex would shower me with gifts, and my father would attempt to return them, or give the gifts away to charities."

"His obsession grew, and he began stalking me, saying that I was some kind of a savior called the Traveler.” Lois sighed. “I thought he was nuts, but eventually he wore me down.”

“You gave in?” Clark felt a ton of sympathy for his ex-love, even if she wasn’t his true Lois. “Yes. I gave in. He was persistent, annoyingly, actually, and I thought that I saw some good in him, but I was wrong.” She admitted. “I got in deeper and deeper, drawn into his twisted world.”

“What gave you the final push to leave him?” Clark inquired. Lois gulped, meeting his steely gaze. “You, you and Lana, Clark. I saw how happy you both were, and I wanted that for myself. Its selfish I know, but you and Lana gave me hope, and the courage to make a stand.”

“Gawd! I sound like my father!” Lois quipped, sniffling slightly. “Now you’re free.” Clark pointed out. “You can go anywhere, be anyone you choose to be.” Lois shook her head. “I’ll never be fee from Lex, unless I kill him, or die trying.”

Clark swallowed hard. Human relationships always confused him. What did it matter anymore? I already cheated on Lana with Shayera, he mused.

“Lois! You won’t kill Lex, and he won’t kill you. I give you my word.” Clark promised. “We’ll go back to Luthor Mansion tonight and gather your stuff. By tomorrow night we’ll be far from here.” Lois was shocked. The evening had suddenly turned heavily in her favor.

continues

Comment

I love it. The whole thing with Lexois reminds me of something, but what? I can't put my finger on it.

Comment

Orange Shard concluded.

PG -13 Rhymes With Orange

Clark and Lois continued their ‘conversation’ until after midnight. He then zipped back to his parent’s farmhouse. He took one last wistful look around. Jonathan and Martha were comfortably resting in each other’s arms. Kara and Lana were sound asleep. The whole scene was peaceful, yet Clark knew that this was simply another illusion caused by his messing with the Earth’s timelines.

He stealthily entered Lana’s bedroom, and sure enough, his fiancée had taken the unusual colored ring off, placing it on her nightstand beside the bed. Clark silently stole the power ring, slipping it into his jeans pocket. He vaulted out the open window and into the cool, starry, Kansas night.

Shayera sailed in to meet him, her nearly transparent, whitish, gold wings reflecting the moonlight. “You have the ring?” The Thanagarian warrior observed. “Yes. But I feel bad about stealing it though.” Clark confessed. “Trust me, its for the greater good.” Shayera downplayed its significance.

“Let’s see it.” She asked, as Clark handed it over to her. The alien beauty examined it closely. “This ring is not of the Earth.” She analyzed. “It belongs to a sect of the Lantern Corps.” Clark was excited and skeptical. “As in Green Lantern?” He guessed as Shayera nodded.

“Yes. However this ring isn’t part of the original set from Oe.” The Hawkgirl continued. “Notice that it is actually orange in hue.” She pointed out. “No matter. Make sure that this doesn’t get into human hands.” Shayera gave it back to him. “Unless specifically picked by the ring, no human may possess or wield its awesome power.”

“I’ll take it back with me to our original time shard.” Clark stated. “That would be best.” Shayera agreed. “Thanks for your help, Shayera.” He began as the young Thanagarian warrior moved in closer to him. “I owe you big time!” Clark added. Shayera suddenly kissed him passionately.

“You have paid me in full, Kal El.” She flirted heavily as Clark reddened. “Now let’s be off. Your mission yet continues.” Shayera urged as they unclenched. “I have one more thing to do before we go.” Clark thought about Lois. Instead of growing angry or jealous, Shayera smiled.

“I thought you might.” The Thanagarian beauty flipped her massive wings gracefully, hovering in place above Clark. “I can find my own way back to our Justice League friends. You must not lose the ring, Kal El, or all of human history will pay the price.” She warned ominously.

“I will see you, literally, in another time.” Shayera quipped and soared off into the night. Clark shook his head, and flew back to Lois’s sister’s house. As he arrived, he heard gunshots. “Oh no!” Superman yelled and dove toward the condo complex homes.

Two black SUVs, and a long black limousine had surrounded the Reeves Grove condo building. “Lex!” Clark hissed. Wearing his red flannel shirt, jeans, and work boots, Clark twisted down out of the ebony night sky.

Lois screamed as she hit the condo floor, amid the shards of glass that had sprayed in every direction. Bullets tore through the windows, and china cabinet, and impacted the walls behind her. Lucy hid beneath her bed, cowering in fear.

Clark found two of the gunmen, landing beside them. He effortlessly tossed the goons through the first floor plate glass window. He melted their guns with his heat vision. Rooftop sniper shots pierced the normally quiet night air.

A second layer of thugs fired at Clark. He angrily threw a nearby, small economy car at them, watching as it skidded up against their SUV. They dove out of the way just in time. Lex cautiously opened the rear door of his limo and peered out. “Clark?” He rubbed his eyes as Superman vaulted straight up towards the third floor.

Lex stood outside of the car and looked up incredulously. “Now this all makes sense!” He mumbled as Tess Mercer, his limo driver, stood before him, dual pistols in hands. “Lex! Get down! What’s wrong with you?” She shrieked. Lex grabbed his walkie-talkie.

“Simmons! Kelly! Pearl! Don’t fire!” Lex ordered, barking into the comm. unit. “I repeat! Don’t fire!” Mercy shoved Lex back towards the limo. “What do you mean, don’t fire?” she questioned her lover and boss. “These penny ante hit men will kill Lois!” Lex shouted at her.

“I thought that was the point!” Mercy snarled. She’d always been jealous of Lois’s relationship with Lex. “Not now! Don’t you see?” Lex’s voice sounded panicky. “Lane is our only bargaining chip against Kent! Mercy was thoroughly confused. “What the hell does Kent have to do with anything?”

“Everything!” Lex snapped. “I thought that Lana Lang, and her secret meteor freak powers, was what we were supposed to worry about!” Mercy countered. “Mercy, a good leader always thinks on the fly.” Lex reached back into the limo and grabbed his favorite silver barreled revolver.

Simmons continued to fire at Clark. The bullets bounced harmlessly off his back as he flew in through the broken window in the girls’ condo apartment. Lois was bleeding on the floor, but conscious, and really pissed off! She reached up into her desk drawer, and pulled out a long, shiny, black-barreled revolver, clicking the hammer into place.

Lois pointed it at the thug named Kelly, who had just kicked in the apartment door. Without warning, she fired off two rounds at him, point blank. He returned fire as he crossed the threshold. Clark barely got in between the shots, deflecting the two heading for Lois, but missed the other two.

Kelly took both bullets, one in the neck, the other in the side, splattering blood on the walls behind him. He sagged to the floor, moaning. Clark bent down beside Lois and quickly examined her. She’d only been grazed in one bare shoulder by a bullet. Some of the glass shards had cut her neck, face, and arms. She would be fine after a few stitches, Clark assured himself.

Two more high caliber shots whizzed in from the snipers across the street. “Put this on!” Clark barked, handing the orange ring to Lois. He batted away two more shots. “Now isn’t the time for a proposal, Smallville!” Lois croaked. “But, I’d surely accept!”

Clark forced the orange hued ring onto her finger, which fit it very strongly, almost like it was truly made for her. He turned the ring about a quarter of the way around, and instantly, a bright orange, transparent bubble appeared, engulfing her and Lucy, who had crawled over to defend her sister.

“Wow! That’s a neat trinket!” Lucy appraised as her eyes widened. “Not your standard mall jewelry gift to be sure.” Pearl fired into the room blindly, and his bullets deflected off of Superman, and impacted the walls and kitchen counter top. Clark stood up tall, with a sour expression on his face.

“Pearl! Get lost before I toss you out the window!” Clark growled. “You’ll be doing a swan dive into your boss’s lap. I suggest you find a different line of work and quickly.” He menaced. “Mark my words, Pearl, and you can quote me, this isn’t over!”

Pearl cursed vehemently and ran the other way, far away from Lex and Mercy. A few more sniper shots ricocheted off the orange protective bubble and shattered the kitchen dishes and glassware. “Words fail me, Clark!” Lois began weakly. Her breathing was labored and ragged from some blood loss and a lack of sleep. “My sister is speechless?” Lucy forced a smile. “There’s a first.”

Clark dismissed them with a wave, and vaulted out the window, and flew across the street, punching the two remaining snipers into oblivion. He could barely restrain his tremendous power, but settled for two knockouts. He again used his heat vision to melt the sniper rifles.

Sirens began to wail in the distance, a clue to get moving. He zipped back to the apartment, as the girls gaped. “No point in calling you Smallville any longer, is there?” Lois quipped, coughing up a little blood. “How do you turn this thing off?”

Clark couldn’t pierce the bubble, which was a matter of concern for him. “Just twist it back on your finger until the orange gem is centered.” He directed as Lois complied and the bubble evaporated. “Let’s pack up your stuff, Lucy’s too. Lex will never relent. Even if I could always protect you, Lucy would still be vulnerable.” Clark explained.

Lois sat up dizzily, as Lucy steadied her. “No Clark! I’ll stand on my own two feet. I’m filing a major lawsuit against Lex and his cronies.” She stated bravely. “That won’t matter, Lois.” Clark argued. “Lex’s army of lawyers will just find a way to get him off with damages, or a light sentence.”

“What about filing a restraining order?” Lucy suggested. “That would never stop Lex.” Clark said with disgust. “One day when you least expect it, bang! He’ll kill you or Lucy, or have one of his cronies do it. Where we’re going, Lex will never find us.” He added mysteriously.

“What about Lucy?” Lois asked tearfully as Clark helped her to her feet. He turned his attention to her younger sibling. “Lucy, you’re coming with us.” He instructed. “Where? Where in the whole wide world would we be safe from Lex’s reach?” Lucy whined.

It’s not a question of where, but when.” Clark replied vaguely. Lois cocked her head, and tried to remove the ring. It wouldn’t let her go. Clark super sped, gathering all the things that they could carry as the police entered the area. By the time Lex and Mercy showed up at the door, acting as concerned citizens, the girls and Clark were gone.

“They got away!” Mercy groaned as the first few police officers stormed the stairs. Lex was stunned. Now that he’d put it all together, Lana wasn’t the true threat, Clark was. “What’s going on here?” A sergeant asked. Lex glanced at him innocently. “We heard shots, and came right over.”

“Hey! Need a ride?” Shayera joked as Clark and the girls flew past the pleasant alien. Lucy climbed onto Shayera’s back, luggage in tow. Lois shifted comfortably on Clark’s back. For the first time in this alternate time shard, Lois was free.

“Wow! You sure have some cool friends, Clark!” Lucy praised. “I know, Lucy, I know!” Superman smiled. “You haven’t seen anything, yet!” Lois clung tightly to Clark as they sailed over the Metropolis skyline, watching the approaching dawn glisten above the horizon.

“Where are we off to, Clark?” Lois probed. “We’ll find out in a moment.” Superman answered as he pressed the Shard’s brightly lit whitish gold gem. The silvery Eye of Rao shook, and they all disappeared.

next up: Ring of Fear

Comment

Totally awesome new chapter! I totally loved it when Shayera kissed Clark passionately!

And totally awesome was the fight as well!

Comment

Bumping up to the top for the holidays and Smallville's hiatus.

thanks
                    gardy1

Comment

Time Shards 3 continues

Time Shards 3: Ring of Fear

The time vortex appeared just above Clark and Lois, sucking them upward into its spinning darkness. Shayera and Lucy followed. The human girls screamed as everything around them began to spin. "Just hold on!" Clark yelled into the din of the churning time portal. In seconds, the four friends spilled out onto the damp ground.

Soon the vortex seemed to implode, and a sky full of bright stars filled their entire view. The air smelled dank and humid, as the first glimmers of sunlight began to appear above the distant horizon. "Whoa! That was a trip!" Young Lucy Lane commented as she clambered to her feet, slipping off of Shayera's back. Clark helped Lois slide off his back as well and set her down gently on the gravelly roadway.

Shayera retracted her nearly translucent wings, and secured the Thanagarian mace that was her prized possession, across her broad back. "Clark Kent, this is where I leave you." She said with a bright smile. "This is your mission, you must secure your own destiny." Clark nodded. "Thank you for all your help, Shayera." He said as the alien beauty unfurled her wings once again and quickly flew up into the darkness.

Lois suddenly collapsed at Clark's side. "She must be exhausted!" Lucy remarked as she stooped to help her stricken sister. "We need to get her home." Clark began. "The trouble is where home exactly is, and at what time!"

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎