Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's Olivers problem?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. Their fights are about Clark not manning up when he knows he has this incredible power. But Oliver's mistake is that he thinks Clark is afraid, and I'm sure Clark loses respect points from Ollie because of this. But the truth is, and it's been explained to us many many times in the show and it's also canon, a part of Clark just wants to be normal. And Oliver needs to understand that, Clark has lived his entire life this way, hiding from everyone, lying to his friends, and keeping secrets. And it's cost him relationships and friendships.

The worst part of the secret is that he was never able to live a normal life. One of the major points of Smallville is to show us how Clark goes through this tough time and eventually decides that the world needs a hero, more than he needs a normal life.

On the flip side, Clark needs to understand that Oliver tries hard to be something that Clark could, seemingly, easily be. Oliver does envy Clark. He sees all his power, but hardly any motivation. And he get's angry. If only Oliver had those powers.

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused
      I agree. Their fights are about Clark not manning up when he knows he has this incredible power. But Oliver's mistake is that he thinks Clark is afraid, and I'm sure Clark loses respect points from Ollie because of this. But the truth is, and it's been explained to us many many times in the show and it's also canon, a part of Clark just wants to be normal. And Oliver needs to understand that, Clark has lived his entire life this way, hiding from everyone, lying to his friends, and keeping secrets. And it's cost him relationships and friendships.
      There are a few problems with this.

Yes when he was younger, and just trying to fit in, we could all understand him not doing more to help people. but as he gets older, and as other less privileged heroes set examples of what he could be doing, it becomes more difficult for the audience and for Oliver to accept.

Because the 'i just want to be normal' opinion that Clark has is insulting to Ollie. I don't believe Ollie ever thought Clark was afraid, just that he was selfish and lazy. That he isn't willing to sacrifice his love, his friends, his normal life in order to save millions of people...

I mean even Ollie understands getting a balance. You have to have enough of a normal life to stay happy or you will just be a resentful hero. But i think he feels Clark is not even attempting to find that balance.

What we have seen in season 8 is Clark zipping around saving people... and now his lines to Lana before kissing her say to me that he resents it... and that's just not right

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

The worst part of the secret is that he was never able to live a normal life. One of the major points of Smallville is to show us how Clark goes through this tough time and eventually decides that the world needs a hero, more than he needs a normal life.
      i wish i could have a good old chat with Clark... because he doesn't have to sacrifice a normal life in order to be a better hero... that's the whole point of his secret identity. I mean not so much if you look at pre crisis, but definately in post crisis

On the flip side, Clark needs to understand that Oliver tries hard to be something that Clark could, seemingly, easily be. Oliver does envy Clark. He sees all his power, but hardly any motivation. And he get's angry. If only Oliver had those powers.
      I agree i think Ollie wishes that he had been born with the advantages Clark has and is resentful that Clark doesnt see them as a gift. He is a hero, in a totally different way than Clark in that he goes looking for things to do, and he wants to make a difference. Clark will save people on the brink of death but he's not as concerned with the big picture. it's very different for both of them
      Last edited by Hopefulsuicide; 01-27-2009, 02:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide
        There are a few problems with this.

Yes when he was younger, and just trying to fit in, we could all understand him not doing more to help people. but as he gets older, and as other less privileged heroes set examples of what he could be doing, it becomes more difficult for the audience and for Oliver to accept.
        Clark is still young. Our opinions of the age he should be when he chooses to accept that he isn't normal is just that, our opinions. Just like it is his own. The difference? HE get's to choose when to realize he isn't normal. If that upsets you or Oliver, tough. You're going to have to deal with it until he does become that hero we all know he will soon become. Me? I'm going to let Clark become Superman at his own pace, as should everyone, including Oliver. We all know he isn't going to be 50, or even 25, when he becomes Superman. He's going to become Superman really, really soon. Months.

I mean even Ollie understands getting a balance. You have to have enough of a normal life to stay happy or you will just be a resentful hero. But i think he feels Clark is not even attempting to find that balance.
        Clark has been trying to live a normal life while being the hero for over seven years. To say that he does not understand there needs to be a balance is just ignoring that. His point to Lana was that the world doesn't have to come before love, there can be a balance. These are the times where he learns about this, just before he becomes Superman, as it should be. In the comics, Superman already knows this, but he didn't always, he had to learn at some point.

i wish i could have a good old chat with Clark... because he doesn't have to sacrifice a normal life in order to be a better hero... that's the whole point of his secret identity. I mean not so much if you look at pre crisis, but definately in post crisis
        Clark's going to learn this on his own. We're in the storyline that teaches him this. Superman learned that lesson first hand, it's pretty cool that we get to see it first hand.

Comment

but how has he not learned all these things yet?

i mean in old mythos terms, when he was just a normal boy raised on a farm in smallville with no excitement, you could see why he wouldnt become a hero

but when heroes are all around him, when people have told him time and again that he will succeed in doing great things, when his importance and his greateness has been pushed home... why would it take him that long?

Comment

it realy is ALL about finding that balance...and Danny Turpin was the one who taught Superman this lesson...we have simply not seen an episode yet in which he puts what a Police Officer taught him into action...it could have easily been a fire fighter, or a peramedic...but then we would not have gotten Danny Turpin...

Clark saves the day, inspired a cop to turn from the dark side, learned a lesson about motives and balance from Danny, taught Oliver that ispiration is their ULTIMATE goal, attended what is officaly the highest level Justice League meeting so far, and then went to his "family"...........Lana...*sigh*....ugh! point is, he will use this lesson soon enough with Lois..

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I also think that part of what makes Clark so special is that his hesitance also means he isn't so quick to kill. Yes, he has had his moments where he really wanted to (i.e. Vengeance and Pariah), but at the end of the day, I just don't think Clark would do it... Oliver would.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎