No announcement yet.

Feral Children

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral Children

This story reminds me a little bit of a case I studied while in school. Her real name is not know, but in published studies she is referred to as Genie. She was discovered in a house in 1970 in California. She was 13 and had been tied up and hidden from the world for over 10 years. She was strapped to a potty chair, never allowed to speak, never spoken to and never allowed outside. When discovered she was wild, had no language, had severly stunted growth and could barely walk. A truly sad, yet facinating story. Just wanted to clairfy what I meant by facinating...facinating from a scientific stand point as far as how much "humanity" could she regain after 10 years living like that. Could she be rehabilitated? Learn to speak?

There are other stories like this from around the world...I wonder if that is where Kripke got his inspiration.
    Last edited by chole_fan; 01-15-2009, 08:03 PM.

Thats creepy, and sad.

He probably was inspired in a way.

Comment

ya i watched this show on TLC it was like a marathon back during new years weekend and they had stories of feral children. like being raised by dogs and acting like dogs and stuff.

think they had that one too. the parents had her locked in this room and a cage and blocked out the windows and no one knew that another person was living there. i think she wound up killing someone didnt she? but ya she was impossible to control and was really hard to gain her trust.

Comment

Wow, really? She killed someone?
        Man, that sucks for the person.

Comment

well these people are kind of driven crazy by making them into "animals". and like kids raised by wolves they might attack people and like bit their legs or something and they would seriously find fish and rabbits and stuff and just eat them raw.

when they attack or kill people its basically to defend themselves and not so much kill for the reason they had on supernatural.

Comment

Nice explaining and I totally agree.

Comment

Yeah...and if you can just imagine being raised like that, you have no moral compass so to speak because you've never been taught, so to you murder isn't murder...there is nothing wrong with it. All you've ever known is cruelty or survival of the fittest. It's no wonder they are so animalistic. It's a survival instinct.

Comment

You'll probably think everyone you meet is an enemy.

Comment

ya would never be able to trust anyone or anything. and its really hard to reform the people cause most of the time its during their basic skills learning and once the brain developes the common knowledge its hard to change those skills. its really sad how kids are treated and stuff . we dont get many people like that now adays cause social services are around to intervene. and when they dont the kids usually wind up dead

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
                    ya would never be able to trust anyone or anything. and its really hard to reform the people cause most of the time its during their basic skills learning and once the brain developes the common knowledge its hard to change those skills. its really sad how kids are treated and stuff . we dont get many people like that now adays cause social services are around to intervene. and when they dont the kids usually wind up dead
                    I know when I'm a dad, I'll try to be the coolest!

Comment

As much as I liked the episode, there were several indications that these children were not in fact feral. (In real life standards at least) The biggest was the fact they could spell messages on the walls such as "GO AWAY" and "TOO LATE" in rather perfect handwriting I might add, so they had some education. Also, while they had the look down, their actions weren't in line with what I'd call feral either. Especially the part about overpowering/outsmarting several adults, which required at least some knowledge of fighting, by hand and by knife. They also seemed to know an awful lot about what needed to be done to keep everyone from running, such as slashing tires as well as picking trunk locks as well. Feral children usually emulate the animals they grew up with such as dogs, so I'm not sure how'd they would act totally alone.
                      Last edited by rocana; 01-15-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

This is similar to the story of Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies. In Part 2 he had a shack where he stored the bodies of his victims. He had a non-working toilet and it seemed obvious that he lived on wild animals ever since he somehow survived his drowning.

Comment

Originally posted by xrayvision
                          This is similar to the story of Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies. In Part 2 he had a shack where he stored the bodies of his victims. He had a non-working toilet and it seemed obvious that he lived on wild animals ever since he somehow survived his drowning.
                          Good example!

Comment

This whole episode reminded me of psych class, and the feral children we studied. Like Rocana pointed out, feral children would not be able to write or communicate. Obviously the father/grandfather educated them to a point. They knew enough to talk to Danny and say that he could stay. They could write. They knew how to slash the tires on the cars and steal the weapons out of the back of the Impala. Considering that they were raised inside a house and never left, they were actually pretty smart, I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by rocana
                              As much as I liked the episode, there were several indications that these children were not in fact feral. (In real life standards at least) The biggest was the fact they could spell messages on the walls such as "GO AWAY" and "TOO LATE" in rather perfect handwriting I might add, so they had some education. Also, while they had the look down, their actions weren't in line with what I'd call feral either. Especially the part about overpowering/outsmarting several adults, which required at least some knowledge of fighting, by hand and by knife. They also seemed to know an awful lot about what needed to be done to keep everyone from running, such as slashing tires as well as picking trunk locks as well. Feral children usually emulate the animals they grew up with such as dogs, so I'm not sure how'd they would act totally alone.
                              thats true but i think having an episode with kids barking and running around drinking from the toilet and peeing on trees wouldnt of been as scary maybe we will get an interview from kripke about the story behind the episode or something.

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by comptonassmel
                              This whole episode reminded me of psych class, and the feral children we studied. Like Rocana pointed out, feral children would not be able to write or communicate. Obviously the father/grandfather educated them to a point. They knew enough to talk to Danny and say that he could stay. They could write. They knew how to slash the tires on the cars and steal the weapons out of the back of the Impala. Considering that they were raised inside a house and never left, they were actually pretty smart, I would say.
                              ya thats true. all depends on how they became feral. some are left alone to fend for themselves and some are just thrown in a cage and still have human contact.
                              Last edited by superhippie2000; 01-16-2009, 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎