Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Smallville - Edge of Darkness

Edge of Darkness - PG13

Edge of Darkness

The Evolutions series continues with chapter 12 - the sequel to “Latent” and “Nexus”

Lois and Clark pulled up alongside the police roadblock, roughly a mile from Dairyland Mall. Kara had flown to the secured area seconds after leaving the Kent Farm. About forty-five minutes had passed, much to Lois’s objection. She pulled out a steno pad and pen, completely in her reporter mode. Clark followed her to the lead police officer in charge.

Kara circled the mall parking lot, well within the SWAT team’s radius of fire. Using blinding speed so as not to attract any undue attention, the teen superhero managed to recon the situation. She’d located the terrorist and the hostages, counting thirteen people being held against their will.

The criminal had burned three stores already. Most of the fires had been put out by the segregated sprinkler systems. The hostages didn’t appear to be injured or in any immediate danger. Kara had x-rayed the lunatic terrorist, and found that he was indeed, human.

“Lois Lane, Metropolis Daily Planet.” She waved her press pass at the leader. “This is Clark Kent, he’ll be assisting me on the story. What’s your name sir?” The detective cast her an annoyed glance. “Detective Dan Turpin. Miss Lane, we’re not ready to make a statement to the press, yet.”

“Good enough. Off the record, then, what’ve you got?” Lois persisted, as Clark used his x-ray vision to verify where all of the SWAT team members were. He also spotted Kara, zipping across the parking lot towards them. Turpin hesitantly let Lois in on the situation.

“Off the record, Miss Lane, we have one lunatic holding at least a dozen people hostage. He’s a firebug, arsonist or something. He’s damaged three stores, but hadn’t bothered to steal anything so far. We have no idea what kind of a weapon he may have.”

“An account by one of the hostages by cell phone, states that the perp hadn’t displayed a gun or knife, but… and here’s the odd part…she claims he started fires by waving his hands at the merchandise. We have no true idea what she saw. He might have a miniature flamethrower or some other type of accelerant.” Detective Turpin informed them.

Lois considered that as she exchanged glances with Clark. The same thing went through their young minds – a rogue meteor freak with the power to control fire. “Detective Turpin, has he made any demands yet?” Lois pursued the lead by following the detective closer in towards the SWAT van.

“None whatsoever.” Turpin dismissed her with a wave. “Has he said anything at all?” Clark chimed in, feeling left out of the questioning. “Kent? Why don’t you just let us do our jobs? And all he’d said so far was some vague ramblings about the end being near.”

“We picked it up in the background noise from the hostage’s cell phone. The end of what, we don’t know. He could be suicidal, which makes this incident even more volatile.” Turpin concluded. “That’s all Miss Lane, Mr. Kent, now please stay behind the blockade.”

Kara had mysteriously appeared behind them, and came up alongside Lois. “He’s right cousin, the guy is unhinged. He kept on about something called ‘the great winnowing’.” Kara added details. “I’ve no idea what that means.” The alien teen admitted. Clark considered her account.

Lois tapped her foot impatiently. “The great winnowing seems to refer to something like an apocalypse, I believe. It may be in the Bible or somewhere. Sounds like a standard loony with superpowers. We need to get those people out of there before he snaps.”

“I know Lois, but how can we go in without being seen?” Clark asked conversationally. “Kara and I could break in through the air conditioning system. We ought to be able to surprise him, before he attacks the hostages.” Lois wasn’t convinced. “We still have the SWAT teams to deal with.”

“How about a distraction?” Lois rubbed her thin chin. “I could zip around to the back of the mall and blow something up.” Clark thought that over. “It sounds too risky.” Lois sighed. “Define risky, Smallville? We need to save those people. You two are virtually indestructible, and we have no idea how my powers react. I intend to live a long and rewarding life annoying you.”

Clark and Kara chuckled. “Point taken.” He admitted. “It’s settled then. I’ll zoom to the rear lot and torch the far end of the mall. You two speed in and grab the firebug before he lights up any hostages.” Lois said with determination. Kara liked the basic idea, but added her own twist.

“Kal, I should fly in through the air conditioning vents, while you zip in through the glass atrium.” She suggested. “Wouldn’t he hear the broken glass hitting the floor?” Lois countered. “Nope, I already surveyed the layout. The atrium is in the far west wing, and the hostages are in the east.” Kara responded.

“I’ll start burning the south end, that leaves the north end for the SWAT teams to enter from.” Lois decided. “Okay, I guess it’s our best shot.” Clark agreed. “Now Lois, don’t level the entire mall, and make sure that the fire is out as soon as I have the arsonist.”

“You’ll be heading towards me, correct?” Lois confirmed. “I assume that you don’t want Metropolis’s finest, and the FBI observing your little rescue?” Clark nodded. “Kara, you can start herding the hostages towards the SWAT team. Just tell them that you were hiding elsewhere in the mall avoiding the commotion.” The alien teen nodded. “Wait!”

Lois and Clark froze in their tracks. “What’s up Kara?” He asked. “Clark, focus your hearing. The meteor freak is yelling about something.” Clark complied. Lois was at a bit of a disadvantage. She didn’t have the superior hearing skill down pat yet.

“Death to you all!” The terrorist shrieked. “You’re all going to die! He is coming! The end is soon!” Kara and Clark exchanged glances. Who was the he? Lois couldn’t stand it. “What? Spill it Smallville, what’s he saying?”

“I hope he’s just ranting.” Clark repeated what he heard for Lois’s benefit. “Either way, it sounds like we’re running out of time.” Lois took a deep breath. “Well, I’m ready. How about you two?” Kara and Lois playfully bumped fists. “You go, sister!” Lois joked. Clark was not amused.

“Be careful!” Clark urged quietly. “Don’t be such an old lady.” Lois remarked with cockiness. Kara dashed off at hyper speed and circled in towards the mall. “One, two, three…go!” Lois took off running, and in a few seconds disappeared.

Clark followed soon after, making a last check of the SWAT team’s positions. This had better work…he silently hoped, as he entered the atrium, shattering the glass, and quickly making his way through the mall towards the hostages. Kara had already disabled all the mall security cameras.

Lois walked alone, hiding in between parked cars. What I need is something flammable, she mused, anxiously glancing around the mall parking lot. Nothing out here…maybe inside. Lois dashed towards the glass mall doors, shattering them with brute force.

The alarm system had already been disabled, either by Kara, or the terrorist. She found a cleaning closet, and tore open the door. Let’s see…ammonia, glass cleaner and floor wax, not much to work with, she thought, grabbing what she could. Maybe in the food court? She sped to the center of the mall courtyard. Bingo! She elated. Now I just have to MacGiver this somehow.

Lois filled up an empty container with propane gas and covered it tightly. This ought to make a decent distraction. She hurried back to the mall exit, combined all the elements, and got ready to strike a matchbook that she’d run across in the cafeteria office.

“Happy Fourth of July!” She muttered, tying a cleaning cloth inside the ammonia bottle to use as a fuse, lighting one end with the match. She placed the propane gas bottle next to the one with ammonia and set it down, super speeding away, going back the way she’d come.

The explosion shattered all the glass in the area, and made enough noise to completely throw the SWAT team off their game. Now it was up to Kara and Clark. The automatic sprinkler system came on near the flaming doorframe, extinguishing the blaze.

“There’s our signal.” Clark said loud enough for Kara to hear. “I’m on it, Kal!” Superman sped into the long main corridor, using his blinding speed to locate the criminal. He heard the hostages crying and praying for help. “That’s right! Pray! All of you! For all the good it will do!” The loony said.

Clark tackled the crazed terrorist tumbling head over heels, and grabbing the guy’s hands, pinning them behind his back. “Give it up! Let these people go!” Superman ordered. The hostages were stunned, and quieted quickly. They still expected to die, being burned alive by the madman.

“You! You’re the one!” The nut case said. “Me what? You don’t even know who I am.” Clark wrestled the guy, making sure that he was immobilized. Kara entered the fray from the next room. She had flown through the vents, and landed out of sight of the hostages.

“Okay everyone remain calm.” She ordered. “Follow me. The police are just outside.” Some of the hostages began to murmur. “Now, people! We don’t know how long we can hold him down.” Kara lied convincingly. “He will rise again! You’ll all die!” the wacko still grumbled.

Finally, the hostages hesitantly got up off the floor where they’d been seated and followed Kara towards the exit. “How’d you get in here?” A hostage inevitably asked the super teen. “I was hiding in a different wing, so was my cousin back there.” She gave them the standard line.

“You took an awful chance, Miss.” A businessman commented. “Are you complaining?” Kara countered. “No, not at all.” The guy softened his tone. “Okay, everybody. Hands up!” Kara directed. “We want the SWAT teams to see you.” The first few hostages obliged.

Clark had stood the nut ball up, still restraining his arms. “Who are you afraid of?” Superman demanded. “Afraid? I’m not afraid. I’m simply the messenger.” The freak sounded more like he was in his right mind, after all. “Fine! Whom are you working for?” Clark asked angrily.

“I serve the master.” He laughed. “What’s your name?” Clark shoved him forward. “I’m unimportant. What you need to worry about is him.” Kal was getting frustrated. “Who?” Clark jostled the man roughly. The freak grinned. “Mobus Kahn.” Clark was puzzled. “I’ve never heard of him.”

“You will.” He said, laughing again, as Superman guided him outside, still pinning the freak’s hands behind his back. The SWAT team was shocked, but thankful. Clark wrested him into the back of the SWAT van. Dan Turpin lectured he and Lois about getting involved, threatening to arrest the helpful reporters. Clark shook his head as Kara rejoined them. “That’s the thanks we get.”

“Cheer up, Smallville. No good deed goes unpunished.” Lois put her hand on his shoulder. “On the bright side, we have one hell of a story for Perry…partner.” Kara smiled brightly enjoying Lois’s playful banter. “Can I be in the story, too?” Kara joked. “Sure. You can be interested bystander number one.” She ribbed the teen, hugging Kara. “We make a great team.”

Clark wasn’t convinced that this was over…

----- Added 1 Hours and 51 Minutes later -----

Edge of Darkness pt 2
    Chapter 13 of Evolutions

Clark had specifically told the SWAT team leader that the terrorist was insane, and ought to be sedated. The cocky SWAT sergeant waved him away. “You’ve done enough meddling for one day. By the way, how did you get past my team members?”

Clark was discouraged with his attitude. “I guess that your team isn’t as good as you think they are.” He scoffed, walking away towards Lois who was getting the final details of her story from Turpin. “Hey, Smallville, turn that frown upside down.” She quipped. “We have the inside scoop.”

“I sweet talked Turpin into waiting fifteen minutes or so before he calls a press conference for the media. He muttered thanks for your help, though I left him deliberately vague on the details.” Lois grabbed Clark’s hand, in an unusually affectionate manner. Kara was wandering around nearby.

“What’s up little sis’?” Lois noted Kara’s obvious distraction. “I don’t understand, Lois. Why weren’t the police happy we helped them out?” The confused teen asked with a bit of a very humanlike whine in her tone. “That my dear, is called the ‘male ego issue’, present company excepted, Smallville.”

“We stole their glory.” Lois continued. “Trust me on this. I spent more than half my life with my dad, the General. He and his cohorts were prime examples of alpha male egotists. It doesn’t mean that I love him any less.” Clark took Lois’s advice to heart, as well.

“Any other nuggets of wisdom will have to wait. I have a story to file.” Lois said as she flipped open her cell phone. “Gina? Tell Perry that I’ve got a page one on the Dairyland Mall hostage crisis…I’ll hold.” Clark and Kara left Lois to do what she did best as they rested against a grassy knoll.

“You heard that name?” Clark asked his young cousin. “Yes. Mobus Kahn? I don’t know of any Kryptonian criminals by that name. Maybe he was just ranting?” Clark wondered aloud. “It could be a human criminal that presents that threat. Or possibly one of Lex’s leftover meteor freaks.”

Suddenly the SWAT van exploded in a huge fireball. The metal from the van acted as shrapnel, slicing through everything in it’s path. Lois dove out of the way, mostly out of habit. “Whoa!” She rolled over in a ditch. “You better hold off on that final paragraph, Gina!” She yelled into the phone.

Clark and Kara bolted for the flaming van, but it had nearly melted. If any SWAT members were in the truck, it was all over for them. Clark was furious. “I told them to sedate the freak!” He snapped. Kara was saddened, but understanding. “You did all you could, Kal. It’s not your fault that the police didn’t listen.” Lois had gathered her composure and came running towards them.

“Geez! What the hell happened?” She shouted over the din, feeling the heat from the molten truck. Dan Turpin lay behind a police car, stunned by the blast. Several officers were injured, some critically. Immediately, sirens wailed.

The officers were lucky that they had a number of ambulances and rescue vehicles close at hand. Clark zipped around, but there was little he could do without medical training. He and Kara were limited to moving flaming shrapnel from atop injured officers and their vehicles.

Lois helped Turpin to his feet, and he wobbled, feeling his head. “I see you have all of your appendages, detective.” She joshed. “What are you people, cursed?” Dan complained as he surveyed the damage. The EMT squad was already busy patching up the luckier officers.

“Sometimes I wonder, detective.” Lois shook her head. “Please tell me that we at least knew who Mr. Dynamite was.” Turpin was a bit dazed, but recalled the information he’d just gotten before the blast. “Yeah, Lane, the deceased was known as Bertram Ellis. He had no criminal record, was about forty- seven years old, no history of mental illness. The guy didn’t have so much as a parking ticket.”

“Maybe he just snapped.” Lois tried to apply some logic to it. Clark fumed. “Kara, let’s go!” Lois waved him back in. “Freeze, Smallville. We still have to get this story in to Perry. The networks are begging the Planet for details.” Clark calmed down slightly. “What do you need?”

“For starters, a good solid laptop port to hook into.” Lois pleaded to Clark with her eyes. “You want to super speed to the car?” Superman guessed. “Okay. Go. Kara and I will block the view.” The aliens blew a cloud of dust up between Turpin and Lois, giving her the cover she needed.

After filing her report, Lois returned to the waiting superheroes. “I guess we’re done here.” Clark remarked in a depressed tone. Lois again hugged Superman. “Clark, remember…you can’t save everyone.” She whispered in his ear. “That goes for you, too, Kara. That doesn’t mean that we should stop trying. Think about it, we saved thirteen other people today.”

“On the whole, when the balance sheets are tallied, we hope that we saved more people than we lost.” Lois said with unusual philosophical insight. “Humans die every day, Clark, Kara. It’s who we are. Yeah, some of it is senseless, and some of it is what it is.”

Clark and Kara silently considered Lois’s comments. “Thanks Lois.” Superman said as Kara nodded in agreement. “We should think of ourselves as police officers, firefighters, armed services members, emergency medical technicians, or ever vigilant concerned citizens.”

**Dedicated to everyone who remembers 9/11**

“Now buck up, kiddies. I’ll get off my high horse now.” Lois smiled brightly, having given them the pep talk of their young lives. “Lois, you are one in a million.” Clark praised, in a much more cheerful mood. “Of course I am.” She added facetiously. Their lighthearted mood wouldn’t last however…
    Last edited by gardy1; 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

post soon

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Edge of Darkness continues

Edge of Darkness Evolution Chapter 14

Clark and Kara sullenly returned to the farm, as Lois headed into Metropolis to file her story with Perry White. The young journalist had just nailed another front-page story for the paper.

“Kal, are you going to let Lois keep her meteor rock enhanced abilities?” Kara wondered as she absently patted Krypto / Shelby’s head. “For the moment, Kara. I think we’ll have to remove her abilities as soon as she shows signs of erratic behavior.” Clark replied. Who could really tell when she’s being erratic, though? He silently mused.

“Humans weren’t meant to handle such power, Kara.” He added, as his teen cousin considered that. “Laura Lake could.” She pointed out. “True.” Clark responded. “But Laura is also a different case. She’s not from Kansas, or the South American region where Marcus Worthington found his supply of kryptonite. If only Lois hadn’t messed with Marcus’s fuel source.”

“How long does the kryptonite effect last?” Kara questioned. “It varies. When Lana accidentally acquired my abilities, in less than twenty-four hours she’d become dangerous and aggressive. Most of the time we needed another power source to virtually shock the kryptonite infection out of someone’s system. Lois has had the abilities for a few days, maybe her dosage was minimal?”

They had barely settled in, when Lois called Clark on his cell. “Red alert, Smallville!” She began. “I was just checking in with Chloe, and she’s already onto something. Meet her at the Isis Foundation, chop-chop! It sounded urgent. I’ll stop by after work. I smell another big story.”

“At the moment, Perry is sending me out on another feel good story. That bastard, Lex, is trying to smooth over another one of his debacles with the press. The bald wonder is dedicating a shelter for abused women in South Metropolis. Guilty about what he did to Lana, I’d bet!”

“Did you need any help with the story, Lois?” Clark offered worriedly. He really just wanted to keep an eye on her. Clark knew that Lois was ready to go after Lex and bring him down once and for all…and that was before her kryptonite-powered amp up.

“Initiative. I like that, Smallville.” Lois quipped, parroting one of Perry White’s famous lectures. “No thanks. It’s only a warm and fuzzy human interest story.” She replied, adding: “You are going to work for the Planet full time, aren’t you?” Clark sighed. “Yes, Lois. I’ll be in for a secondary interview with Perry tomorrow A.M.” Lois punched the sky, “Yes!” She said excitedly.

“Outstanding, Smallville! We’re going to be the best. You’ll see! Maybe we can get assigned to the City Beat. That’s where all the real action is.” Lois rambled, like she’d overdosed on coffee. “What about Kara?” She added, after hearing the good news. “What about her?” Clark glanced at his younger cousin, pointing to the phone, and shrugging. Kara focused her hearing on the conversation.

“You need to show some vision, Smallville.” Lois continued to babble excitedly. “You, Kara, and I could be unstoppable.” Clark gulped. Is she starting to lose it? He wondered. “I don’t know what you mean, Lois.” He prodded warily. “The three of us can clean up this cesspool of a city, and report on it at the same time.” Clark breathed a sigh of relief.

Lois was getting ready to take the elevator down to the first floor lobby. Kara heard the alert bell ringing in the background. “Lois, is that fair?” Clark asked, glad that Lois’s comments hadn’t been more radical. “Fair to whom?” She countered as she entered the elevator car. Kara winced at hearing the insipid elevator music surrounding Lois.

“Fair to the other journalists.” He stated. “We would be at every story before anyone else, at least in theory.” Clark argued. “All right Smallville, I understand that you’re naive, and well intentioned, in fact, I love that about you, but journalism is a cutthroat business anyway. Even without any supernatural abilities, reporters would screw each other over without a second thought.”

“Reporters race to be the first ones to cover a big story, and they don’t care who gets in their way. Some end up chasing the most controversial, bizarre, and unique leads they can find, simply to get their name on the front page.” Lois took a breath as she exited into the lobby and headed for the revolving doors of the Planet. “That still doesn’t make it right.” Clark defended.

Lois had increased her pace beyond a normal human’s as she scurried through the Daily Planet’s façade, and outside onto the sidewalk. “I fail to see any difference, Clark. I mean, who was the star quarterback at Smallville High the year they went to the finals? Was that fair?”

She had him there. “Point taken.” Clark grumbled. “Now about Kara…Why not ask her if she wants to intern at the Planet?” Lois persisted. Kara had been following the exchange all along, and briefly thought about it. Finally, she shook her head, allowing her long blonde locks to fall to one side of her face. Clark caught her reaction. “Kara says thanks, but she’s not interested.”

The super girl gave Clark the thumbs up. “Suit yourself.” Lois responded. “Clark. I’ll see you later and don’t forget about Chloe. Yes, I am taking a cab at the company’s expense. I took your message to heart about trying to maintain appearances. See ya!” She clicked off the phone just as she passed a nearby city alley. Suddenly some guy slid out of the alley and stuck a gun in her ribs.

“Okay sweetie! Let’s have the handbag!” The thug growled as Lois laughed hysterically. “Something funny, baby?” He asked. Lois snickered. “Boy, did you pick the wrong girl to mug, and don’t call me baby!” Lois stomped on the criminal’s foot, effectively breaking it. He howled in pain.

Lois smacked the gunman’s arm, causing the weapon to fire upward at an angle. She watched as the bullet spun towards the sky, with her enhanced vision. She followed the shot’s trajectory, as it tore through some upper floor’s window at LuthorCorp Tower.

“Oops! I hope no one got in its way.” She muttered. The vision thing is a trip! Lois thought as she shoved the mugger backwards into the alley with the palm of her right hand. He sailed through the air, crashing into a big metal garbage bin, some twenty or more feet later. He moaned as Lois smirked.

“Remember idiot! Crime doesn’t pay!” Lois taunted, yelling into the shady alley. She casually walked to the curb and hailed a cab, going on her merry way. That felt really good! Lois considered. Why doesn’t that under zealous farm boy do this all the time? You’d think that he could single handedly clean up Metropolis. Her thoughts were disrupted by a cabbie pulling up and she got in.

In LuthorCorp Tower, a shocked security guard played a video tape over and over again. “No way!” he mumbled, cueing it up for a rewind. “No freaking way! Charlie! Come take a look at this!” A second security guard gaped has he glanced over his partner’s shoulder.

“We’d better call the boss! Do not erase that tape! She did say to report anything strange. That broad’s about as strange as it gets!”

Clark and Kara walked through the front doors of Lana’s Isis Foundation, where Chloe eagerly awaited their arrival. “Clark! Kara! Thank God! We have a major problem!” She excitedly recalled the information she’d been researching, and displayed it on the room’s front four big screen monitors.

“Lex and Tess Mercer have been very busy.” Chloe announced menacingly. The alien super heroes’ eyes widened. Image after image scrolled before them. They seemed to be pictures of ordinary looking people. “What exactly are we looking at?” Kara wondered out loud.

“Meteor Freak Central, Kara.” Chloe replied sarcastically. “I scammed this database from Luthor and Tess’s project files. I hijacked the feed from an international website. Their security was lax to say the least. Lex and Tess are systematically recruiting people with unusual abilities…from all over the world.” Clark was stunned as Kara gasped. “The world? But how?”

“We don’t know, Clark. It seems that there has been some type of evolution.” Chloe said as she rubbed a tired eye. “How many?” Clark gulped as Chloe tried not to sugar coat her reply. “I have two hundred and forty on record.” She concluded solemnly.

“Kal! We have to stop this!” Kara’s voice was panicked. “Even a handful of people with exceptional abilities can wreak havoc on the world, and literally destroy or enslave the Earth’s population in the process.” Clark nearly fell back into a chair near Chloe’s central console.

“What have Lex and Tess done?” He asked in shock. Kara was near tears. “We can’t just kill them all, Clark.” She reminded him. “This is a nightmare!” Chloe agreed. “I forwarded this flash drive to Oliver, yet I don’t think that there’s a whole lot a rich kid in a green leather outfit can do about it.”

Chloe sat back in her chair and saved all the meteor freak’s biographies to discs. “I don’t even have a suggestion for you, right now.” She shook her head in disgust. Kara folded her arms across her stomach. “This is all our fault, Kal. If we had never come to Earth…” She was very upset.

Clark got up and hugged his young cousin. “We’ll have to take their cases on one at a time.” He began, though his tone of voice showed his uncertainty. “We can divide the known meteor freaks up by location, and I don’t know, lethal threat?” Chloe offered, committing the database to begin its sort.

“Are they all still alive?” Clark suddenly brainstormed as he let Kara go. He stood behind Chloe. “Good point. I’ll try and sort them by project status.” She fiddled with the touch screen panel. “That helped. One hundred and eleven are considered canceled or deceased.” Chloe informed them.

Kara sighed. “That cuts the list down by roughly half.” Chloe frowned, gazing at Clark. “What?” He asked, noting that Chloe had stopped her research.

“There are seven new file additions that were added about an hour ago.” She replied. Clark alertly stood straight up. “The database is still on real time?” Chloe nodded affirmatively. “Then we have a chance.” Clark hoped. “Can we track the meteor freaks’ movements?” Kara caught on quickly.

“Sure, to some degree.” Chloe confirmed. “What’s the total of active files now?” Clark pressed. “One hundred and thirty six.” She checked the file tally. “I’m going to reverse engineer the thing. It will give me the latest additions first, and the person’s approximate location.”

“No!” Chloe yelled, pounding the desk. “What?” Clark and Kara chorused, crowding in behind her. “Number one thirty six is…Lois Lane!” She announced tearfully, stunning them further.

more on the way
      Last edited by gardy1; 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

ppms

Comment

ppms! LOVE IT!!!

Comment

Beyond Smallville Evolutions - Edge of Darkness

Scene: A Cab Somewhere in Metropolis

Lois took the short cab ride to the South Metropolis Home for Abused Women, and as she exited the car, she spied Lex Luthor and Tess Mercer grinning and waving to the crowd of reporters and other news media types. She paid the fair, and included the amount on her Daily Planet expense report.

“I think I’m going to be ill,” She mumbled as the cabbie cast her a puzzled glance before leaving the curb. The bald wonder at his finest, she thought sourly. Me without my Uzi! Lois took a breath and headed towards the throng. Jimmy Olsen was already there, grabbing some preliminary photo ops.

“Hey Jimbo!” Lois waved unenthusiastically. “Catching some photos of Brad and Angelina?” She asked the young photojournalist. “I wish!” Jimmy countered. “Did I ever tell you that I love taking photographs but hate some of the jobs we get stuck with?”

“Preaching to the choir, Jimmy.” Lois remarked cynically. “How’s Chlo’?” Jimmy took a break from the shoot to frown. “She’s okay, I guess, but Chloe spends more time at the Isis Foundation than at home.” Lois shrugged. “She’s driven. But sometimes love’s a *****, Jimbo."

Lex and Tess quieted the crowd, waving at them from behind the makeshift podium. “Speaking of which,” Jimmy’s eyes sparkled. “What’s new with you and Clark?” Lois gulped. “Oh, not much.” She felt awkward lying to Jimmy, but now understood why Clark and Kara were so secretive.

“I had a feeling about you two.” Jimmy said for at least the tenth time. “It’s called gas, Jimbo, take some Pepto and relax.” Lois teased. Jimmy cracked up, returning his attention to the podium. “Let’s get this over with, before I lose my lunch.” She added, approaching the front of the crowd, mini recorder in hand. “For two cents, I’d knock that smile off Lex’s face and smack his bimbo silly.”

Jimmy continued to snicker. “Easy Lane, your claws are out!” He joked as Lois nodded.
            Lex’s speech was predictable and uninteresting, and Lois yawned a few times before he finished. “That’s a wrap, Jimbo.” Lois said, snapping off her recorder just as the crowd of Lex’s admirers began to politely applaud. “At least the Cue Ball is using some of his mega bucks for a good cause.” Lois said as she helped Jimmy pack up his camera.

“Let’s head back to the Planet, file this lame ass report, and hit Burrito Village.” Lois suggested. “Now see, that’s what I like about you Lois, decisiveness.” Jimmy said, adding a deep voiced fair to good imitation of Perry White. “Well, I remember back in Memphis…” He went on.

Lois was in a much better mood, now that the warm and fuzzy news piece was completed. She was dying to hook up with Chloe, Kara, and Clark, for what sounded like a much bigger, front-page story. Jimmy bent her ear all the way back to the paper. She listened halfheartedly, but got the general idea of what Jimmy was rambling on about.

After lunch, Perry sent Jimmy on a weather related photo op. There was a major storm front moving in, which was forecast to cause severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes. Lois warned Jimmy not to take any foolish chances, just to get some good pictures.

In Perry's Office:

Lois tapped her foot impatiently, waiting for Perry to okay her final story revision. The elder gentleman glanced at her above his reading glasses. “You in a hurry, Lane? You know it’s only about two P M. I expect you to be here until five, even if you’re just running the clock out.”

“No problem, Chief. Probably just too much caffeine.” Lois deadpanned. “What’s going on in the world, boss?” She asked hopefully, making casual conversation with the Planet editor. “Now that’s the spirit, Lane. We’re all about being proactive, that yuppie word everyone’s always throwing about.”

“Did you get Kent to commit?” He grilled her. Lois was shocked at first, before she realized that Perry was talking about Clark’s possible new job. “Oh! Yeah. Clark will be here tomorrow for a follow up interview. You can call him with a time.” She replied reluctantly.

“Good. Something the matter?” Perry probed. Lois hated when he did that. “No, just nervous I guess, new partner and all.” She adjusted her skirt, breaking eye contact with him. “Not to worry. Lois. You and Kent will be a good team. Trust me on this, I have a feeling about you two.”

Lois nodded absently. Why do people keep saying that? She wondered silently. Perry smirked, knowing that he’d gotten into Lois’s head. “The story’s fine. You can send it over to pagination.” Perry let her off the hook, reserving any other remarks for later. “Thanks, Chief.”

Lois grabbed her copy and returned to the cubicle, all under the watchful eyes of Perry. He reclined in his creaky old chair, thoroughly pleased with himself. “She’s got it, bad.” He muttered to himself. Lois and Clark will go a long way towards the future success of the paper.

Scene shifts to the Isis Foundation:

Clark, Kara, and Chloe still huddled around the central console at the Isis Foundation. “Was there any mention of a Mobus Khan?” Clark asked Chloe, who shook her head. “No, nothing even close.” Kara silently ran over the list of names that she’d seen, looking for any connections.

“Hello!” Kara suddenly exclaimed, startling the others. “How about this? Mobus Khan could be H.K. Mosuban, owner of the Moush Bank of Cairo. It’s an anagram.” Chloe and Clark exchanged glances. “It’s a shot in the dark.” Chloe admitted. “Where’d you get that?”

“There was an article in the Daily Planet recently…” Kara recalled. “It was a photo, actually. Mosuban and Laura Lake’s nemesis, Rex Rowland, were shaking hands outside the grand opening of the Eastern Cairo Museum, which coincidentally was funded in large chunks by guess who? The Moush Bank.” Kara continued. Chloe snapped her fingers. “Cross reference?” Clark nodded.

Chloe fiddled with the central console. “Bingo!” She put together a series of links to Mosuban, Moush Bank, Rowland Chemicals, Cairo, and not surprisingly, LuthorCorp. “There’s the missing piece.” Clark pounded the desk, nearly breaking it. “Lex is still at it!”

“Easy Clark! I’m not sure if the furniture is totally paid for yet!” Chloe playfully rebuked him. “What’s truly disturbing is a link between Rowland and Lex. I thought Laura said that they were major business rivals.” She added. “Maybe they still are.” Kara put in.

“What if this Mobus Khan aka H.K. Mosuban, is playing Lex against Rex Rowland?” Kara was getting used to the intrigue of human relationships, both good and bad. “Trying to get the best deal…but on what?” Chloe was following Kara’s train of thought.

Clark had a dark, worrisome thought. “How about the genetic tinkering angle?” Chloe and Kara gasped. “Of course.” Chloe spun her fingers across the data bank console. “Genetic tinkering equals LuthorCorp refined kryptonite, equals meteor freaks. Lex is the supplier, Rowland is the buyer.”

“So Mosuban is a front for Rowland?” Kara guessed. “He’d have to be. We know Lex has enough financial backing to finance his own projects, so he wouldn’t be going to Mosuban for a loan.” Chloe considered.

“Laura said that Rowland was well off, so why would he need Mosuban at all?” Clark brainstormed. “We’re still missing some pieces to the puzzle, maybe Oliver knows something.”

“Where is our jolly green archer these days?” Chloe wondered aloud. “The last I heard Oliver was still trying to assemble his team, and continue to pound Lex’s Level 33.1 projects. Tess had let a large number of their ‘subjects’ out of the labs and into the real world.” Clark informed her.

“That accounts for the spike in meteor freaks on line.” Chloe read a list of Lana’s Isis Foundation clients, and cross-referenced them with the latest LuthorCorp data. “That gives us the approximate locations of another fifty four meteor freaks.” Chloe eyed the data carefully.

“Do you think we should reclassify them as another name?” Kara asked. “Meteor freaks sounds so negative.” Chloe shrugged. “Its just semantics.” She defended as Clark glanced over her shoulder.

The doors opened behind them. “I’m always up for some antics.” Lois joked. “Okay, spill it, kids. What have you amateur detectives latched onto this time?”

With super speed, Lois was literally undetectable, as she gazed over Chloe’s other shoulder. “Aha! Lex is still churning out his ‘new merchandise.’ I knew there was a big story here. What are you and the rest of the Scooby Club planning to do about the bald wonder and his subjects?”

“Well Lois, since you’re part of the meteor freak persuasion now, you’ve made Lex’s most wanted list.” Chloe told her cousin. “What? How did Cue Ball find out about me?” Lois was stunned. “He must’ve caught you using your abilities.” Clark frowned. “I thought you were being careful.”

“Oops! There was this minor incident.” Lois glanced at him sheepishly. “Lois? What did you do?” Clark sounded like a father admonishing his errant daughter. “There was this mugger guy. He tried to cut purse me, and I blasted him into an alley. I didn’t hurt him…much.” Lois added cockily.

“Someone must have gotten it on tape, and reported it to the trust fund king.” Lois admitted. Clark brushed a hair out of his eye. “See! I knew that we couldn’t keep this a secret.” He grumbled. “What are you going to do, Smallville, give me a time out? Stuff happens.” Lois countered. “Yes, and it usually happens to you.” Clark teased.

Kara had come up with a new nickname for the meteor challenged. “Hey, didn’t Laura call people with special abilities, Metahumans?” Clark nodded, though the point was moot. “Okay, I’ll buy that. I’m officially a Metahuman.” Lois boasted playfully. “Great!” Clark grimaced.

“What’s the matter, Clarkie?” Lois purposely pinched his cheek, knowing that it would annoy him. “You afraid that I’ll be able to kick your butt?” Clark smirked. “Hardly.” Chloe was growing frustrated. “Can we focus, here?” Kara busied herself with background research as the others tried to come up with a plan. They were no closer to solving the mystery of this H.K. Mosuban.

More on the way…

Comment

post soon

Comment

Edge of Darkness continues

“Clark, how’s your Egyptian?” Lois quipped. He cast her an annoyed glance. “What do you mean? We’re not going to Egypt to investigate Mosuban.” Lois folded her arms. “Why not? Between our combined powers, and Kara’s super jet ability, we could go there and be back before my first coffee break tomorrow morning.”

Chloe snickered at her ambitious cousin. “Lois, we don’t even know if this Mosuban is involved in anything wrong or illegal. We can’t convict the guy by the unsavory company he keeps. Though I would put my money on them being a three headed hydra.”

Kara was getting worried about Lois. She seemed to become more aggressive every day that the kryptonite infection was within her. If Clark’s theory held true, they’d better concentrate on stopping her, she mused, safely and effectively.

“Lois, we can’t just invade Egypt and start snooping around Mosuban and his pals without arousing suspicions. Realistically, we don’t have the connections to get at him. Chloe’s right, we’re not even sure if he’s up to anything.” Clark stated with conviction.

“Aw come on, Smallville…” Lois scoffed. “Don’t be such an old lady. If it looks like a duck, and acts like a duck…” Clark frowned. “No, Lois.” He said firmly. “Let me get this straight, Clark.” Lois’s tone was rougher. “You and Kara have all of these superior abilities and you sit on your duffs and watch the world go by.”

“It’s not that simple, Lois.” Clark defended weakly. Kara shifted uneasily, contemplating the best way to rid Lois of her powers, before she did something that she regretted. “Time out, you two!” Chloe intervened. “Did you just give me a time out, cuz?” Lois quipped. “Yes, now shush.”

“Let’s see if we can find anything else useful on Mosuban.” Chloe began, as she pulled up the Internet on the high tech Isis Foundation equipment. “I’ll do a web search on our friend, Mosuban and his bank. I’ll probably just get general info and puff pieces, but you never know.”

“Maybe someone has something on him out there already.” Clark added. “It’s not as if I can Google Mosuban under ‘secret evil plans and questionably funded research and development’.” Chloe joked. Lois sighed in resignation. “Smallville, how can you stand this?” She put in.

Lois nervously paced back and forth across the room. “I mean how can you sit on the sidelines with all of these abilities bouncing around in your head?” Kara was certain that Lois was breaking down.

The meteor rock abilities were starting to take their toll on Lois’s mental and emotional state. She didn’t have much time left. “Uh oh!” Chloe muttered. “Uh oh? There is no Uh Oh!” Clark said as he hurriedly glanced over her shoulder. “Chill, Clark.” Lois pushed past him to view the monitor.

“Mosuban is coming here, to Metropolis.” Chloe announced as Kara gulped. “He’s going to give his blessing to a new financial grant for LuthorCorp and Rowland Chemicals research and development.” Chloe continued to inform them. “Talk about a deal with the devil, in fact two of them.”

“That still doesn’t make any sense.” Clark remarked. “Sure it does, Smallville.” Lois stepped back briefly. “Does the phrase ‘money laundering’ ring a bell? Remember my expose of the Mowhala Drug Cartel? The gang had literally dozens of so called legitimate business investments.”

“They’d funnel their cash flow through all of them, making it subject to legal taxation. My bet is that Mosuban is no different. It could also be going back the other way, from LuthorCorp or Rowland Chemicals to Mosuban’s bank, and other home grown businesses.”

“When is he coming?” Clark asked with alarm. “This Tuesday.” Chloe replied. “There’ll be a ‘dog and pony’ show, motivational speaker seminar, and business expo at the Rowland Chemical’s new Metropolis headquarters. Mosuban is the guest speaker.”

Lois clapped her hands together, shaking the air around them. “We’ve got him! It’s perfect! He’ll fall right into our laps!” Kara circled in behind them. “Lois, we still don’t have anything illicit on Mosuban.” She chimed in. “Trust me, kiddo! Either he or the insipid evil rich twins will slip up. They always do, and bam! We’ll pounce on them!” Lois’s voice rose excitedly.

“Bingo! Kara! We’ll haul the whole bunch in front of a Federal magistrate, and lock their sorry asses up indefinitely!” Lois continued to wring her hands with a wild look in her eyes. It was like she’d just received a major energy boost. Apparently the kryptonite infection messed with her hormones as well. Her eyes suddenly went yellow, as she glanced at Clark, alarming Kara.

The young alien superhero formed a plan. She’d have to get Kal alone for his permission, first. Kara intended to use Lois’s intense feelings for Clark as bait. “One step at a time, Lois.” Chloe cautioned. “What exactly would we accuse Mosuban of, assuming we can get close enough to him?”

“I don’t know! He must be up to something.” Lois grumbled, as Chloe began to bring her cousin down off her hormone related high. “If he is, and slips up, we’ll be there!” She reassured the overanxious Lois. “I guess I’ll head home and bounce off the walls for a while.” Lois said.

“Why don’t you clean up your side of the apartment with all of this excess energy?” Chloe teased. “Been there, done that, Chlo’. All of my stuff is over at Clark’s now.” Chloe smirked. “Oh really?” She sounded partially jealous, and partially amused.

“You and Clark are living in domestic bliss?” She quipped, as Clark reddened and Kara laughed. “Something like that.” Lois took it in stride.

“That’s right, Smallville, there’s a new sheriff in town.” Lois taunted Clark. “Good luck with that.” Chloe gibed. “There’s an idea, Lois, why don’t you use some of that energy to build yourself an addition to our farm house?” Clark ribbed her. Lois pretended to be offended.

“Don’t think I wouldn’t, Smallville.” She grinned. “Unfortunately, materials cost money, and I’ve only got about half my check to draw from this week. Are you Scoobies going to hang out here, then?” She probed.

On the one hand Clark wanted to go with her, and keep her out of trouble, on the other, he wanted to talk to Chloe about reducing Lois’s powers. “I guess so.” He finally decided. “Okay, then I’ll see ya’ll back at the ranch, literally.” Lois joked. “I’ll go with you, Lois.” Kara offered.

“Cool! I’ll take the super girl with me, then. Later!” Lois opened the doors. “Don’t let anything exciting happen while I’m gone.” With that, Lois zipped out of the Isis Foundation, followed closely by a super speedy Kara. Clark put his head in his hands. “What a nightmare!”

“Oh, Lois isn’t that bad.” Chloe put her hand on his shoulder. “I’ve lived with my super Wheaties abilities for over a year now.” She remarked. “True. Lois got a full range of supernatural powers from me. It will be too much for her. You see how she’s been acting.” He gestured toward the vacant hallway. “Do you have a plan?” Chloe asked warily.

“Not much of one.” Clark admitted. “I know how I can pull the plug on Miss Personality, I just don’t know how to make her forget about it all.” Chloe spun towards him in the comfortable leather chair. “Are we talking quality time with Daddy Jor El?” She quipped.

“That’s my final option, yes.” Clark confirmed. “I only hope that he can pull that off.” Chloe rubbed her thin chin. “Are you sure that you want Lois back to her obnoxious, underpowered self?” She asked, playing devil’s advocate. Clark looked puzzled. “Why wouldn’t I?”

Chloe smirked, enjoying her playful conversation with Clark. “There are certain advantages to having a super powered girlfriend, especially alone at night, on the farm…” Now he caught on. “Chloe! I can’t believe that you’d think that I’d put my feelings before what’s right for Lois, and everyone else.” Chloe threw up her hands. “I’m just sayin…”

Clark shook his head. “No, even if I wanted her to remain…unique. Lois’s body and mind couldn’t handle the stress of the power amp up over the long haul.” Chloe made major eye contact with him. “I’m worried, Clark.” She confessed. “Don’t worry, Chloe. Kara and I will find a way to bring Lois back to normal…well, normal for her at least.” He reassured her, throwing in the dig.

“No, I was thinking about you.” Chloe caught him off guard. “Me?” Typically, Clark wasn’t following her lead. “What are you going to do with your life?” She hit him with the big question. “I don’t know!” He answered reflexively. “I think you do.” Chloe insisted.

“You and Lois aren’t going to live on the farm happily ever after.” She began. “You two need to be where the action is. I think that you two should team up in Metropolis.” Clark shrugged. “We’re really not team players. I mean we can be. As of now, we both work for the Daily Planet.” He was beginning to come around to her line of thinking.

“Clark, it’s time for you to step up. You’ve already got the red and blue blur thing going for you.” Chloe continued her lecture, rivaling Oliver and Jonathan Kent’s best speeches. “Actually, I think that was Kara half the time. She gets bored easily.” He stated. “Regardless. This list of the meteor rock challenged is just the beginning. There is true evil out there, Clark, and it’s not just from Krypton.”

“We know we have to stop Lex and his cronies, including Rowland and Mosuban. We all need to get coordinated. We have the makings of a great team.” Chloe added. “Think about it, you, me, Kara, Oliver and his crew, John, and even Lois and Jimmy could help.”

“ My goofy cousin is right. We don’t have the luxury of sitting on our duffs as the world goes to hell around us. The question is: What do we intend to do about it?” Chloe completed her motivational speech. Would Clark take her words to heart?

more on the way

Comment

ppms

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Edge of Darkness continues

PG-13 - Violence

Scorpion Sting Evolution Chapter 15

At the Kent Farm, Lois and Kara were relaxing in the den. All the chores had been completed, and Lois was busily researching her next article. It was yet another boring fuzzy feel good piece that Perry had given to her. It wasn’t due to be placed in the paper until the end of the week.

“Kara, I’m going to have to make my own big break.” Lois began, as her comment seemed to come out of nowhere. “What do you mean?” The teen alien beauty asked. “I have to face the fact that Clark isn’t ready to take on the mantle of Metropolis’s savior, despite his recent red and blue blur activities.” Kara gulped. “What do you plan to do about it?”

“I hate to admit it, but my cousin is stubborn.” The super girl said, playing along with Lois’s criticism. “Exactly. Every day that we sit back on our heels and do nothing, people die or get injured. To say nothing of the more minor crimes, like theft, arson, and extortion.” Lois explained.

Kara couldn’t fault her logic. “We can’t save everybody, Lois.” The blonde super teen pointed out. “Even if you, Clark and I were out on the town every night.” Lois accepted that, indicating that her latent meteor rock infection hadn’t yet overtaken her sensibility.

“That’s true, but to not even try…?” Lois argued, as Kara slowly began to take her side. She forgot that her original intent was to stop the well-meaning reporter. “We can certainly help the police force.” Kara offered. “As long as we don’t cross that line.”

“Which line is that?” Lois tested the teen’s sincerity. “Well, the line of doing something illegal, or worse, killing someone.” Kara made a good attempt at an answer. “There’s a whole gray area out there, kiddo, between taking the law into our own hands, and letting the criminals of Metropolis run amok.” Lois had Kara convinced.

“We can start by trailing Luthor, Rowland, and Mosuban and see where that leads us.” Lois formed a plan as she put her laptop away. She was becoming a true leader. “There’s only the two of us. Clark won’t get off his duff to help. We’ll have to call in someone else.” Kara considered Lois’s proposal, “You mean like Oliver?” Lois shook her head.

“No. The green bean’s got his own schemes to follow. I’m talking about someone that knows Rowland’s habits inside and out. Remember Clark’s friend, Laura Lake? We met her last year.” Lois informed her. Kara nodded. “Sure.” Lois got up and dug around in the desk drawer just beneath the farmhouse’s wall phone. “Aha! Here’s her number.”

Lois had pulled out a small black book that held all of Clark’s contacts, as well as those of the senior Kents. Kara gasped. “Lois! You are positively evil!” The zealous reporter flipped through the pages, stopping on the proper name. She called Laura’s cell phone.

“I’m just getting started, kiddo!” Lois waited for the super charged teen to pick up. “Hi, Laura, you probably don’t remember me, but this is Lois Lane…yes, the reporter from the Daily Planet, Clark’s girlfriend? I wouldn’t go that far…”

Kara’s stomach hurt. She knew that this was wrong, yet went along with it all the same. “How would you like a crack at Rex Rowland?” Lois baited the naive metahuman.

“No, we don’t have to hurt him, just throw a scare into the wealthy twit. Maybe he’ll crack, and spill some plans that he has going with Lex Luthor, and his new player, a banker desk jockey named H K Mosuban.”

“They’re all going to be in Metropolis Tuesday…interested in snooping around? Good! See you then.” Lois hung up. “There you go, Kara. Laura will be here Monday. You and I need to develop a plan, and keep your goody two shoes cousin out of it? Game?”

Lois was growing more persuasive every day. “Okay, but I still don’t like it.” Kara gave in. “Don’t worry about it.” Lois smirked. “Just blame me. Besides, if Mosuban is clean, or up to his elbows in filth with Lex and Rex, we’ll know either way. We can always tell Clark the truth later, especially if nothing pans out.” Lois had corrupted Kara into following her lead.

Monday came around, and Lois went to work at the Daily Planet as per usual. Near lunchtime, Kara showed up, followed closely by Laura. They met at Lois’s cubicle. Clark had gone to lunch alone, which suited Lois just fine. She’d been avoiding him all morning.

“I gotta say, Lois, you were about the last person, outside of Lana Lang, that I expected to receive a call from.” Laura confessed. Laura, now nineteen, had been after Rex and Randolph Rowland for a while.

The pretty young sleuth from Falcon Claw, Nebraska, had made it her personal mission to bring down the evildoers of Rowland Chemicals, and clean up her little corner of the world.

Laura had been infatuated with Clark a couple of years ago, but had graciously stepped aside, after being caught under the wheels of the Clark Kent, Lana Lang soap opera. (See Gold Wing, or Death in the Heartland) She bore no ill will against Clark for not returning her affections.

Having decided at the age of eighteen to do things her own way, the headstrong teen possessed many super abilities roughly equivalent to Clark’s. She’d become a force for good in Falcon Claw, daring to take on Rowland Chemicals.

“I take it farm boy has joined the Planet staff?” Laura asked, her voice filled with sarcasm. She nodded towards the empty desk bearing Clark Kent’s nameplate.

“That’s true.” Lois affirmed. “This operation is to be minus Clarkie.” She joked. “Ooh! I love it already.” Laura countered playfully. “Kara, it’s good to see you again.” She shook hands with the alien beauty. The two had become friends, but hadn’t spoken in about a month.

“How’s it going?” Laura shrugged. “I can’t complain.” Lois directed their attention to the flat screen monitor on her desk. “Okay girls, listen up…first we need a cute government type name for our covert operation. I’m voting for Scorpion Sting. Next, we need to research our plans for tomorrow.”

Lois pulled up a schematic of Rowland Chemical’s office building. The young reporter had already completed a super speed recon mission into the building earlier that morning.

Chloe and Clark were at the Isis Foundation again, researching Rowland Chemicals. “There’s a lot of info here, Clark.” Chloe informed him. “Of course, nothing to implicate that Rowland was into anything illegal. We’ve hit a dead end with our research.”

Clark hung his head. “I’m not surprised.” Chloe dutifully crosschecked a number of names within Rowland’s organization. “Wait a minute!” She stopped scrolling the web page that she’d been visiting. “Do you have something?” Clark asked anxiously.

“Maybe…just one more link…bingo!” Chloe exclaimed. Clark could barely stand the suspense as he glanced over Chloe’s thin shoulder. “Two of Rowland’s goons, a Jack Massarelli, and Armin Shuhera, were convicted of two counts of manslaughter last month.”

Chloe referenced the Coal City, Iowa police blotter. “The two were photographed beating a middle-aged couple to death.” Chloe read. “Bette and Carson Sherman owned a Coal City general store. There were no witnesses, but by sheer luck, the bank across the street, called Coal Federal, coincidentally owned by one H K Mosuban, caught the incident on a security camera.”

“Does that sound like the M. O. from a case of anyone we know?” At first Clark didn’t follow Chloe’s lead. Then it hit him. “Laura! Laura Lake’s parents were killed at a general store in Falcon Claw! Her guardians, the Trents, swore that there could’ve been two killers.”

“How does that tie in with Mosuban, or Moush Bank?” Clark wondered aloud. “If we could find this out…” Chloe began. “So can Laura.” Clark finished for her. “She better not make any assumptions.” Clark added in alarm. “Clark, Laura is still a headstrong teenager. If she finds out…there’s no telling what she’ll do.” Chloe contributed worriedly.

Clark rubbed his square jaw. “That’s still a long shot, even for an amateur detective, and wanna bee super hero like Laura Lake. There’s no guarantee that the two cases are related.” Chloe shifted some screens on the web around. “Do you think that would stop a very pissed off crime-fighter, with revenge on her mind?” She pointed out.

“How long were Massarelli and Shuhera employed by Rowland?” Clark posed. Chloe’s thin fingers played across the console. “Since 1989.” Chloe replied. “They very well could’ve been the ones that killed Mr. and Mrs. Lake. Remember what Laura said, no one could find proof because of the twin tornadoes that day. The whirlwinds had completely obliterated the evidence.”

“By the time forensics got to Falcon Claw, there were no clues to find.” Chloe concluded. “We better hope that our young Gold Wing doesn’t see this, and put two and two together.” Clark said solemnly. “Amen to that, buddy.” Chloe agreed.

“Anyway, we can now put Rowland and Mosuban together.” She began. “My guess is that Rowland attempted to buy off Mosuban’s security support staff. Maybe the international bank mogul could’ve twisted the arms of his bank guards to either fudge or destroy the video tapes.”

“Before Mosuban and Rowland could connect, the tape had been seized and reviewed by the Coal City Police Department.” Clark followed her assumptions. “After a heart to heart talk, maybe Mosuban found that he liked Rowland and Luthor.” He added.

“Meaning that Mosuban saw how deep Rowland and Luthor’s pockets were, and wanted a piece of the action.” Chloe finished her thoughts. “Exactly. To Rowland, sacrificing a couple of thugs would be nothing, compared to a nice, allegedly clean place to launder their filthy money.”

“How does Lex fit in, though?” Clark pointed out. “That, my friend, is the big money question, unless Mosuban has something that our Richie Rich wants.” Chloe was puzzled, but didn’t care for where this was going. “Given that Mosuban would be a minor player at best in the game, Lex and Rex could be offering him a substantial piece of their poisonous pie.”

“The meteor rock research?” Clark was grasping at straws. Chloe shuddered at the thought of an international organization of super criminals. “That could very well be.” She guessed. “Mosuban would be a silent investor with an international clearinghouse for money, namely Moush Bank.”

The research raised more questions than it answered, meanwhile, back in Falcon Claw, Laura had just smashed her laptop. Lois had indeed been thinking along the same lines as Clark and Chloe. In front of the other girls, Laura had been silent, while inside, the turbocharged teen was furious.

The connection with Rowland couldn’t have been a coincidence, she thought. The two thugs M.O. had been similar, Laura reasoned. Even if they weren’t the exact murderers that had killed her parents, in Laura’s mind it was a good bet that Rex Rowland’s cronies had been responsible.

She knew for certain that Rowland Chemicals had been caught poisoning the community water, simply to charge more for the cleanup. That was just one of the smaller debacles that Rowland had been into. Laura sneered evilly. No one would miss the corrupt business mogul, but she couldn’t just kill him, or could she? In any event, Laura wanted him to suffer.

more on the way.
                    Last edited by gardy1; 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM. Reason: update chapter

Comment

lovely

Comment

OMG! I just caught up! I love it!!!

Comment

Edge of Darkness continues

Retribution

Tuesday afternoon, the girls gathered outside of the Rowland Chemical’s new headquarters in Metropolis. A large group of protesters provided cover for the Scorpion Sting team. Many other reporters and journalists were there, mixing in with the crowd.

Lois wore a simple pink blouse, gray suit jacket, gray skirt, and black pumps with three-inch stiletto heels. She made sure that her Daily Planet press pass was prominently displayed on her ample chest, pinned to a lapel. Kara and Laura followed her closely as they navigated through the throng.

The alien teen wore a black miniskirt, dark blue blouse, and black running shoes. Kara had put her long blonde hair into a bun, piling it high atop her head. She scrunched it down with a black baseball cap, pulling the brim low above her big blue eyes, careful to face away from the cameras.

Kara carried a clipboard with nonsense scrolled on it. She also held a fake package covered in a plain brown wrapper, giving the impression that she was merely a delivery person, subsequently ignored by everyone. Security was lax to say the least, especially on the lower floors of the building.

Laura wore a plain black turtleneck, black leather miniskirt, and a pair of black, calf-length leather boots. She’d pulled her raven black hair back in a tight ponytail, leaving her trademark golden yellow strands of hair to dangle freely before her ears, completing the ensemble with a pair of wire framed dummy glasses, a la Clark Kent. She’d learned well from her former mentor.

Lois held the door open, as her super speedy protégées zipped away, disappearing, invisible to the naked eye. The teens split up, Kara zooming upstairs through the sparsely populated corridors, and Laura busily hyper sped from floor to floor, disabling security cameras, and causing general chaos.

Lois seated herself squarely between the exit doors and the auditorium podium, and tapped the mobile earpiece that she’d cleverly disguised as a hands free communicator. “Girls? Are you in?”

Kara zigzagged from room to room, eventually locating the main Rowland Chemicals records computer console. Sitting at the terminal, she hyper sped her fingers, typing madly, and soon located the proper password, gaining access to the company’s files.

Kara hacked away, using her superior eyesight to collect several suspicious looking files, quickly downloading them onto a series of discs that she’d hidden in the faux package. She corrupted several less important files to give the impression that the system had developed a virus or worm.

Laura began a series of distractions for the security team. She ran from corridor to corridor, setting off alarms, panicking office workers, and generally screwing with the overall building functions. She found a quiet spot and contacted Kara. “Hey, K Girl, this is scorpion one, how’s it going?” Laura spoke into her hands free earpiece.

“I’ve got some stuff on disc, scorpion one. There’s a ton of info left to download, and I’m still cross-wiring the programs to divert attention from our important files.” Kara replied. “You need some more time, K Girl?” Laura smirked, clearly enjoying the fact that she was wreaking havoc. “Yes, if you can.” The super girl responded. “Awesome! Not a problem. I’m still playing. Scorpion one out.”

“Scorpion one, this is scorpion two.” Lois had been monitoring their communications. “Anything you can do to give K Girl more time, go ahead. Just don’t hurt anyone.” Laura frowned. “Roger that, scorpion two. Any sign of Rowland or the other goons?” Lois glanced around. “Not yet.” Just as she’d finished her reply, a familiar voice spoke from beside her. “Lois, what are you doing here?”

Clark had wandered in on the assumption that Lois would be up to something. She turned to him and flashed him an innocent smile, her eyes flared yellow. “Hey Smallville! Just doing my job.” Lois spoke loud enough for Kara and Laura to hear. “Did Perry assign this story to you?” He probed.

“Ah sh**!” Laura exclaimed, as she overheard. “What?” Clark grimaced. “Ah choo!” Lois faked a sneeze, and of course Clark wasn’t buying it. “You haven’t answered my question.” He stated coldly. “No, Smallville, Perry didn’t assign the story to me. Did he give it to you?” Lois turned it back around on him. “No, he might have mentioned it.” Clark hedged, giving Lois an opening.

“Initiative, Clark. Perry always preaches that we need to show initiative.” Lois defended. “So, here I am. Why are you here?” Clark sighed, weary of his verbal joust with Lois. “Have you seen Kara?” He asked, calling her bluff. “It wasn’t my turn to watch her. Doesn’t she have a cell phone?” Lois asked.

“I haven’t seen her since she left with you from the Isis Foundation.” Clark tried unsuccessfully to keep the accusatory tone out of his voice. “Kids! I tell ya, they’re just irresponsible sometimes.” Lois ducked any further questioning. “Ssh! Here they come.” She put her finger to her lips as Rowland, Lex, and Mosuban all filed out of a backroom towards the podium.

“Lois!” Clark snapped. “What?” She pretended to be annoyed. “Where are your notes?” Clark had caught her flatfooted. “Duh, Clark!” She whipped out her personal voice recorder and held it up for him to see. “Who really uses notepads and pens anymore?” Clark frowned.

Laura had become more aggressive in tearing up the higher floors of the building. A number of security guards shouted as they attempted to surround her. “Vandals! Terrorists!” One guy yelled, just as Laura laid him out with a quick but powerful left hook to the jaw. He slumped to the floor. She dragged him easily into a nearby room, locking him in.

Comment

I totally love it!!!!

Comment

Edge of Darkness - Retribution continues

Laura passed by a closed circuit television set that she hadn’t disrupted yet. On the screen she saw that Lex Luthor had taken the podium to speak. Rowland lurked in the background, and Mosuban waited patiently nearby on a guest chair. Now was her chance! Laura thought.

The metahuman teen started down the corridors and ran at blinding speed, heading for the staircase. Two guards were jogging down the stairs just as she reached the seventh floor landing. Laura suddenly began to lose power. She felt her legs slowing and her body growing heavy.

Laura cut out of hyper speed, now visible to the naked eye. She hadn’t ingested any Loracite, the yellowish alien mineral that gave her superior abilities and had reorganized her DNA, recently. On the one hand she was glad the powers faded, that meant that she could possibly live a normal human life if she wanted to. Laura smiled, knowing that she did have limitations.

The turbo teen would never truly be free of the Loracite, but now she knew that she could moderate her mineral use. Laura’s best friend, and boy genius, Tim Servo, had been experimenting with Laura’s condition, using her as a guinea pig at her request.

Tim told her that he could refine the Loracite to be ingested like a nutrition drink. Now, she could limit her exposure to the mysterious alien mineral. The flip side, of course, was that she never really knew when the effect would wear off, and at what cost.

Laura’s powers sputtered in and out. Time for a new plan, she thought, spotting a nearby utility closet. She popped open the lock, retrieving a common broomstick and ran past the approaching guards, at slightly more than human speed, hiding on the next staircase below them.

The guards continued to run down the stairs. When they were close enough, Laura jammed the broom between the staircase railings, whacking them just below their kneecaps, and shins. They spilled down the remaining stairs, tumbling onto the next landing, and lay motionless, moaning and groaning.

Laura zipped down the next two stairways at half her normal speed. She broke the broomstick over her knee, giving her two new weapons. She spied four more guards, two uniformed, two in plainclothes, blocking her path through the hallway. Laura vaulted from the stairs, somersaulting in midair.

She landed right in between them all. “Hi boys!” Laura grinned evilly as she smacked the first two guards in the nose and forehead with the broom pieces, and they went down hard. Instantly, Laura spun back the other way, catching a third guard in the chin with a vicious roundhouse kick.

Pulling a page from Black Canary’s book, Laura dipped down, taking the last guard out with a sweeping low leg kick. He flipped backwards over her, landing in a heap beside the others. The first guard, with the profusely bleeding nose, foolishly got up to challenge her. “Not too bright, are you?” Laura taunted.

Laura poked him in the rib cage with the pointed end of the straw half of the broom, not enough to break the skin, but enough to double him over. She backhanded him in the head with the other stick half. He slid off to the side, falling to the floor in a daze.

Laura continued her run, until she reached the floor just above the auditorium. “K Girl? Are you done?” She whispered, sure that Kara’s super hearing would pick up the message. “All set, scorpion one. I just have to yank the flash drive and we’re out of here.” Super girl responded loud enough for the earpiece to pick up. “Great. See you outside.” Laura replied, and jogged across the second floor.

About halfway down the corridor another security guard attempted to stop Laura. This time, he’d pulled a gun on her. “Freeze, lady! You’re under arrest!” He said, preparing to contact his superiors. “Okay, we do this the hard way.” Laura muttered. She dashed towards him, using up the last of her superior agility. To avoid the possibility of being hit by a bullet, Laura ran sideways along the wall for a few yards.

This maneuver surprised the guard. Before he could speak, Laura was on him, giving him a nasty stiff arm, ala a football running back, following up with a devastating karate chop to the back of the head, knocking him out cold. Laura was nearly out of energy however, and was breathing heavily.

Kara had completed her mission, and hyper sped out of the building, via a rooftop exit, purposely so Clark wouldn’t see her. The teen beauty jumped off the roof in broad daylight, soaring towards Smallville, flying away with her absconded discs and flash drive. Unfortunately, some people witnessed her unusual exit. The street below was abuzz with spectators pointing to the sky.

All this time, Lex and Rowland had been droning on about the various projects they would be involved in, and a possible merger with Moush Bank. Lois was worried about the girls. She hadn’t heard from either of them, and having Clark seated next to her didn’t help. Mosuban made his obligatory speech.

Rowland was the last to speak, taking the podium just as Laura reached the catwalk above the stage.

next - Brush with Vengeance

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎