• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 2 Amethyst Concluded

Amethyst Shard
    Scene: Kent Farm

Amethyst Concluded PG-13
    Chapter 8

“Stay here! We’ll investigate the explosion.” Clark said before Bruce could add anything else. Kara and Clark sped off by air and land, respectively. Laura led the unusual group across the Kent property and into the barn. They fanned out.

“Awesome!” Dick praised as he checked out Clark’s loft hideaway. “I bet he brought all of his girlfriends up here, present company excepted.” He glanced over his shoulder at Laura. “You have an entire mansion to hang out in, birdbrain!” Barbara teased him.

Laura guided them up the wooden stairs. “I feel bad about being here.” Barbara commented. “I mean, aren’t we like, invading Clark’s privacy?” She added. “He doesn’t mind.” Laura dismissed her remarks. “That’s the difference between the city and the rural areas. People are very open about everything.” Laura continued. “The Kents rarely even locked their doors.”

Dick grinned. “Would you be worried about a robbery with the world’s most powerful boy under your roof?” He joked. “Good point.” Bruce agreed, though he was busily investigating Clark’s loft with his trained detective eye. “Laptop, memorabilia, football jersey, pictures…” Bruce muttered.

“He seems exceedingly normal to me.” Barb observed. “A space alien? He seems so…human.” She added incredulously. “Speaking from personal experience, Clark was just as goofy as any teenage boy.” Laura was careful not to betray any embarrassing details about her intended beau. “Now that he’s older, more mature, and less fun I might add, he acts like a typical human male.”

Bruce was examining Clark’s photo collection, yearbook, and assorted novels, trying to determine the psychology of the pleasant alien. How does an alien view Earth? He silently wondered. “Let’s see. Lana Lang….” Bruce focused on the pretty girl’s high school photo.

Dick stopped nosing around Clark’s clothes, satisfying his curiosity about what a space alien would wear. “Who?” Bruce picked up a few of Lana’s pictures. “Lana Lang…Clark’s first love, and a survivor of two devastating meteor showers.” Batman was still looking for a meteor freak tie in.

He’d spent a limited amount of time studying Chloe Sullivan’s Wall of Weird files. Laura filled them in on some of the blanks, though obviously Lana wasn’t one of her favorite subjects. She’d lost the battle for Clark’s attentions to the young orphan.

“Wasn’t she seeing Lex Luthor?” Barb recalled an article in the society pages that she’d read two years ago about the celebrity couple. “Yes. Not one of her prouder moments, I’m sure. I’m certain that it led to their ultimate break up.” Laura added cattily: “How could she trade down so far from Clark to the bald king of the trust fund kids?” She asked bitterly.

“I don’t see the logic.” Bruce remarked. “That’s because it has nothing to do with logic.” Barb teased her mentor. Soon after the discussion, Kara and Clark returned, looking grim. Superman glanced around the barn warily, but didn’t make a fuss about the virtual strangers prowling throughout the loft. “Find anything interesting?” Kara asked no one in particular, coldly.

“Sorry. We didn’t mean to invade your personal space.” Barb apologized as she reddened slightly, and her cape swirled behind her, stirring up sawdust. “It’s all right. This whole barn is a part of my past.” Clark said solemnly.

“We have much bigger problems.” Bruce snapped to attention. “The gang crime scene was totally obliterated. There was virtually nothing left. The thug’s cars…and the state trooper’s vehicles literally turned to molten dust.”

“They’re all dead?” Barbara gasped. “Yes. Over a dozen people, both good and bad, were killed.” Kara replied tearfully. Even Bruce hadn’t expected that. “We have to take a look at the scene. I have a Bat CSI kit in the Sterling.” Clark was stunned. “Maybe it was a suicide pact? No witnesses?”

“What could do that kind of damage?” Dick asked, in shock. “A high powered explosive.” Bruce grumbled. “Possibly a car bomb.” He began his descent down the loft ladder. “Maybe one of the cartel goons had a ‘no tell’ policy?” Barbara guessed.

“It’s possible.” Batman agreed. “I think we would’ve found something that huge.” Dick followed him out of the barn. “We secured all the criminals.” He defended. “How could they pull something like that off?” Bruce shrugged. “Maybe with a timing mechanism?”

Bruce led the group to the souped up Sterling, his cape flowing behind him. He popped open the sleek sports car’s trunk. A series of small packages spun out from the back seat at his coded signal from the Bat belt. “How did you two get mixed up with the Mowhalas anyway?” He interrogated Clark.

“They were going to exact revenge on Lois for writing a series of articles for the paper exposing their drug activities.” Clark answered. “I just happened to get in the way.” Batman opened the first Bat CSI kit. “Something still doesn’t add up.” Bruce began. “No offense, Kent, but why didn’t the Mowhalas just kill you and Lois? Why set up the prisoner transfer? Who was the other party involved?”

Clark shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe they were going to ransom us for drug money? Are you familiar with their motives?” Bruce shook his head. “No. The Mowhalas stay away from Gotham City. Unfortunately, the Tongs control most of the trafficking there. We bust them as often as we can, but there are so many kooks, weirdoes, and dangerous criminals around, that we have our hands full.”

“The DEA and local authorities do most of the leg work.” Bruce glanced up from the kit. “We could always use the extra help, Clark.” Superman could tell that it was difficult for Bruce to admit that, from the tone of the crime-fighters voice. He produced several test tubes and a couple of scrapers.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, Bruce.” Clark graciously declined Batman’s offer. “I get the feeling that I’ll be very busy in Metropolis.” Bruce handed him the vials. “You’ll never get close enough to the scene to examine the evidence.” Clark added. “The place was basically an inferno.”

“That’s why I’m counting on you and Kara.” Bruce smirked. “I assume that you two are fireproof?” Clark nodded. He silently hoped that there were no stray kryptonite deposits in the area. “Kara? How’d you like to be a junior detective?” Dick joked as the alien teen floated along behind them.

“Sure.” Kara said solemnly as she landed alongside Bruce. He shook his head in disbelief, still not used to the idea of aliens living among them. Barbara and Laura trailed her. “We still have to find Chloe.” The metahuman teen reminded them. “This will only take a few minutes.” Clark handed a few of the test tubes to Kara, as he spoke.

“Remember to get samples of everything.” Bruce lectured. “We need any traces you can find of the explosive residue, ordinance, projectiles, and …uh…human remains.” He concluded grimly. The super powered aliens returned quickly with some still smoldering samples.

“I hate to leave a mystery unsolved.” Bruce began. “We have to get going back to Gotham. Bruce Wayne has an important meeting tomorrow morning.” Clark helped him store the samples. “I understand.” He said, anxious to resume his search for Chloe and continue his overall mission.

“We’ll e mail you with any results we come up with.” Bruce offered, extending a gloved hand. “Clark, it was nice to finally meet you and Kara.” He nodded towards the alien beauty. “Don’t be a stranger.” Barb said as she reached up and kissed Clark’s cheek, testing Laura’s patience.

Dick rolled his eyes. Laura, feeling left out, and a bit jealous, kissed Dick. She was partially trying to annoy Clark. Of course, he hadn’t noticed, infuriating her more. “Richard, stay safe, and if you want, you can give me a call.” Laura hastily scribbled her cell phone number and gave it to Robin.

“That outfit. It’s just way too loud.” Laura playfully criticized Dick. “You should go with something dark and brooding, say in a black and royal blue motif.” Robin’s eyes lit up. “Hey, at least I have a costume, Laura.” He returned the dig. Kara watched the exchange with passing interest.

“Give it time, Richard.” Laura held his hand for a moment before moving away. “I’ll work on it. I’m thinking something in black leather with gold trim.” Bruce had completed stowing the evidence in a large fireproof box, placing it back in the trunk. He climbed into the customized Sterling.

Barbara opted to ride with Bruce, leaving Dick to his cycle. He waved once more to Clark, Kara, and Laura before revving up the engine. The young superheroes drove off, Bruce in the lead. Laura sidled up to Clark. “They seemed nice. What a bizarre evening!” She commented.

“It’s not over yet.” Clark stated. “We still have to pick up Chloe’s trail. Do you still have the Bat communicators?” The girls nodded. “Great. Keep them around. I get the feeling that this won’t be the last time we see the caped crusaders.” Laura and Clark dashed off towards the main road, and followed it to the highway leading away from the Metropolis FBI HQ.

Kara soared above them, masking her flight in the shadows of night. She wasn’t quite sure what to make of their new costumed friends. Humans are inherently strange, she mused, dipping low above the tree line, startling a nighthawk tracking its prey.

Far ahead of them, Chloe’s curiosity with the cult of terrorists was wearing thin. They’d gone silent, refusing to divulge any further information. Her quest for knowledge had its shortcomings. She lost interest quickly. I can always have them investigated by the Department of Domestic Security on line.

Chloe guessed that they were roughly thirty miles from Metropolis. There was nothing around. No witnesses, no help, no Clark. She suddenly clapped her hands together, creating a huge electrical impulse. Chloe grabbed each of her captors by the arm, electrocuting them.

She turned on the driver, hitting him with a short blast of supercharged energy. The electricity arced, crackling into the SUV’s dashboard. The driver panicked, as the truck lost power. The black SUV skidded off the road and into a ditch, rolling up a muddy embankment.

Chloe blasted off the door with a stream of plasma. The power burst recoiled on her, causing minor burns, but she would survive. She ran into a wheat field. The driver was knocked unconscious, and the backseat abductors were busy putting out minor fires on their clothes.

One thug climbed out the open door and fired shots from a silver revolver randomly into the night. Chloe ran a zigzag pattern throughout the field, and fortunately all of the shots missed.

Chloe jogged into a nearby abandoned farmhouse. She’d nearly used up all of her energy. Clearly her electrical ability was severely limited. Something exploded in the direction from which she’d just run. The SUV blew up? She wondered silently. It wasn’t that badly damaged. She sat down hard on a dust ridden old couch, breathing heavily.

Chloe tried to process all that she’d gone through. Terrorists invade a highly secured, but still vulnerable FBI office. They steal government files, and specifically abduct her, leaving more potential hostages behind. It made no sense.

What is with this cult-like approach, babbling on about their savior? Chloe pondered. The goddess they’d spoken of was to be golden-haired and have unbelievable powers. The only logical conclusion was that they’d mistaken her for Kara. She had to warn Clark and his little cousin before anyone else got hurt.

The explosion attracted Kara and she instructed Laura as to the location of it from her unique aerial perspective. They arrived, noting much the same scene as before. There was a smoldering crater about the size of a good two-car garage left, and not much else. “Same motive?” Kara wondered.

“Maybe the annihilation is somehow connected. The vehicles could have a built-in self-destruct initiative.” Clark observed. “I hope Chloe wasn’t in there.” Laura said grimly. Kara immediately shot straight up, using her exceptional eyesight to survey the area.

Clark waved the acrid smoke away from his face. “She wasn’t!” He said excitedly. “Kara, check the northern horizon.” He ordered. “See there?” Clark pointed to a recently trampled path through the wheat stalks. “Good girl!” Laura exclaimed. “We still don’t know if it was her, though.”

“Kal! I see the heat signature of a person about one hundred yards in that direction.” Kara gestured wildly. “It’s on the first floor of an old farmhouse.”
    Last edited by gardy1; 04-03-2009, 01:24 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

I totally love it!!! Awesome chapter!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Amethyst - Epilogue

Amethyst – Epilogue

Clark, Kara, and Laura found Chloe and rushed back to the farm. Jimmy had called Clark in a major panic. Lois snoozed soundly on the couch where they’d left her. Kara volunteered to fly back to Metropolis and let Jimmy know that Chloe was safe, pretending that she had been driving past, and saw the commotion at FBI HQ.

Jimmy was stuck at a debriefing, and the FBI intended to hold him for further questioning. He gave them an eyewitness account of the attackers, and afterwards in the confusion, Kara snuck him out the side door. By then, Chloe had been filled in on the Dark Knight and his companions’ adventures.

Clark zipped her back to the hotel, where she’d retrieved their car and drove out to the FBI HQ to pick Jimmy up. Kara slipped away unnoticed. Laura and Clark had a long awkward talk about their past and Laura’s possible future involvement with Oliver’s team.

It was nearly sunrise when Lois stirred, and Laura left. Clark hadn’t been to sleep yet. She awakened, holding her throbbing head. “Ow!” She sat up slowly as Clark watched her through narrowing eyes. Kara had returned, and gone upstairs to bed after checking on Lois.

“Hey Smallville!” Lois was glad to see him. “What the hell did I drink last night?” She mumbled. “I don’t know Lois, you hit the Martinis pretty hard.” Clark teased. “I had this dream about some kind of guy with a cat fetish, thought that someone was shooting at me, saw Kara flying through the air, and was surrounded by costumed creeps dressed mostly in black.” Lois yawned.

“Really? That’s pretty vivid.” Clark downplayed the events. “Rest assured that Kara is upstairs sound asleep. It’s been quiet on the farm.” Clark left it at a half-truth. The farm had actually been quiet for a few minutes recently. “Did I see Laura Lake here?” She grilled him.

“Yes. Laura was pretty buzzed. I let her sleep it off, before Kara gave her a ride home.” Clark was tired of spinning lie after lie to Lois. He reminded himself that it was for her own good. “Kara drove her to Nebraska?” Lois asked foggily. “No, to the hotel in Metropolis.” Clark lied again.

“My mouth tastes like the sawdust in your barn.” Lois complained. Clark got up and grabbed them both an ice water. “Clark, why is it that whenever we go out, I end up with a throbbing headache, a case of amnesia, or passed out on your couch?”

“I think it was just too many martinis, and not enough sleep.” Clark deadpanned. “You’re stone cold sober, aren’t you?” Lois grumbled. “Yes. I didn’t drink much.” At least that was the truth, he reasoned.

“I hate you, and if that rooster crows, I’m throwing it in a pot.” Lois put her long legs back on the sofa. Clark laughed. “You don’t mean that, Lois.”

“Yeah, I’ve personally got nothing against…the rooster.” She smirked and fell back asleep. Clark covered her with a blanket and fell back into the chair.

coming soon: Time Shards 2 continues.

Comment

AWESOME!! LOVE the extraction of Jimmy!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 2 - Violet Shard

Chapter 1: Arcana: The Violet Shard PG -13 violence

Disclaimer: Arcanna is a Marvel Comics character, not related to my story. My character is called Arcanah, and is original. Her social group is called the Arcanites. Arcana is also a comic book company, unrelated to DC or Smallville.

Recently, mathematicians have correlated a theory, backed up by statistical probability, that there are between forty thousand and fifty five thousand worlds that can support reasonably intelligent life forms in our galaxy alone.
            Perhaps three hundred sixty species are capable of reaching Earth within the next four hundred years...not all of them will be friendly. - Marcus Worthington, Chronicler of Days, 2009 A.D.

Fringe:

Last episode of Time Shards: Chloe had just been abducted by a group of crazed terrorists, who had taken over a government facility, stolen some information, and imprisoned all of the employees and one James Olsen, in a conference room, yet they hadn’t killed anyone.
            Chloe escaped her strange captors and was subsequently rescued by Kara, Clark, and Laura Lake.

At the apartment above the Talon, Chloe and Clark are catching up. “You don’t know what group was responsible?” Clark questioned. “No. Here’s the thing, Clark.” Chloe replied. “They were after something specific that our Fed friends had in their supposedly secured database.”

“I believe that the group responsible is some sort of Doomsday cult, and putting all of our adventures together, I believe that they had a suicide pact. If the terrorists failed, they were to take their own lives, rather than get caught and grilled by the Gov.”

“That all fits.” Clark agreed. “But which cult? There are dozens if not hundreds of fringe groups, anarchists, and generally bizarre people that join such groups.” Chloe nodded, frustrated at their lack of information. “Put it this way, Clark, these dissidents and malcontents are highly motivated and well funded, not to mention professional and well organized.”

“They have to have a website. I mean most organizations do.” Clark rubbed his thin chin. “We still don’t know why they picked me, out of all possible high value hostages.” Chloe added. “I think we’re going to have a massive web surfing party at the Isis Foundation. Let’s hit it tomorrow, before their trail goes cold.” Clark agreed, and invited Lois, Kara, Laura, and their new friend, the Dark Knight.

“What was he like, I mean, the Batman?” Chloe pressed, though she was dying to find out who the Dark Knight was. “The jury’s still out on that.” Clark frowned. “He seemed like he was honestly trying to make a difference. I don’t really approve of his methods.”

“You of all people shouldn’t be judgmental, Clark.” Chloe gently rebuked him. “Give it time, maybe the Batman will become a staunch ally.” Superman grinned. It was as if Chloe was reading his tortured mind. “You know that he has helpers.” He teased. “Helpers?” Chloe echoed.

“Yes. The Batman has two sidekicks, and he knows Oliver.” Clark tempted Chloe’s interest. “Really? Two?” She was incredulous. “Do I detect a note of sidekick envy?” Chloe taunted. He just snickered. “Don’t feel bad, Clark. You still have me, Lois, Kara, and now Laura, to hang with. You might consider starting some kind of a league, or legion.” Chloe’s eyes sparkled playfully.

“Yeah, maybe.” Clark laughed before he said goodnight and dashed off. Jimmy was just getting home. “I see you’re safe and sound.” He said to his young girlfriend. “Yes, thanks to Clark and Kara.”

Chloe agreed. “Those two seem to get around, don’t they?” Jimmy asked suspiciously. “You have no idea, Jimbo, no idea!” Chloe said.

Meanwhile far away in the dark Kansas night, a group of black SUVs rendezvoused at a familiar cave. “Mistress? Mistress?” A trembling goon called into the darkness. “Yes, Ira?” A soft female voice responded, as she suddenly appeared behind them.

“Where is my prize, the golden one?” She asked in a calm but menacing tone. The goon named Ira averted his eyes, gazing into the dirt, as the tall, slender, beautiful leader encircled him. “We have failed you, my lady.” A second thug spoke, now that Ira knelt on the ground, whimpering.

“What is the price of failure?” She asked. “Death!” The whole group of about fifteen cult members, mostly male, chorused. “Yes. Normally, I would demand all your lives as a penance for your shortcomings. We have to maintain discipline in the ranks you know.”

“Yes, Mistress!” They yelled in unison. “Today, we will change this philosophy. Our ranks have dwindled.” The voluptuous leader stood atop a large, flat, rock outside the cave. “The price for this failure will not be exacted, yet. Though the great Zoroaster will spin in his grave, we must adapt.”

“I, Janai Arcanah, have commanded this change. We are, after all, in the twenty-first century. The times call for a different tact. The golden one still lives?” She interrogated them. The second guy answered her. “Yes, my lady. We will not fail you again.” Janai smiled evilly. “I know you won’t.”

“Seth, I admire your spirit.” She praised the responder. “Do you love me?” Seth got down on one knee. “You know I do, Mistress.” Janai pulled out a nasty looking dagger from her thin, loose fitting, violet colored tunic. “As High Priestess, I forgive the failings of you all, except one.”

“Seth, will you do me the honor? Kill Ira, for his failure.” Janai’s perfectly white teeth sparkled in the moonlight. She handed Seth the dagger. “I would be honored, Mistress.” Ira stood up tall and straight, accepting his fate without question. Seth plunged the dagger into Ira’s heart, killing him instantly. Janai laughed as the body fell at her bare feet.

More to come
            Last edited by gardy1; 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

Awesome!!!!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 2 - Violet

Violet Shard - Chapter 2

Scene: Isis Foundation – Clark, Kara, Laura, and Chloe are busily researching all known fringe groups, looking for anything to tie a cult to Chloe’s abductors. “Wow! There sure are a lot of fringe groups.” Kara observed as she sped through some computer screens.

“They seemed to know their way around the area.” Chloe recalled, tiredly. “It could be a local chapter of undesirables.” Laura stopped her research to glance at Clark, who was hyper reading through a number of web links. He was suddenly aware of her stare. “Laura, thanks for coming on such short notice.” He turned toward her and smiled.

“No problem. I enjoy your little Scooby Club, and it’s not as if there’s anything to do back in Nebraska. In Falcon Claw they pretty much roll up the streets at ten o’clock. Besides, I think we should work together.” She attempted to flirt with him. Superman cast her a blank stare.

“Work together? You mean like at the Daily Planet? Wouldn’t that be a hell of a commute for you?” Clark joked. Laura chuckled. “No, doofus! I mean with you and Kara, Chloe, and Oliver. We’re kindred spirits, all of us. Misfits working towards the greater good.” She added half-seriously.

Clark was glad to hear that she had made a choice. It would be much easier for him to keep an eye on her. Still, she was reckless, and far too confident in her unusual abilities. “I like the idea.” Clark began. “You’ll have to play by the rules, though.” Kara rolled her eyes. Here it comes! She thought sourly, the old ‘with great power comes great responsibility’ speech. She sighed.

“You mean no more skewering evildoers with an old dagger?” Laura asked sarcastically, recalling her brush with vengeance. (From “Edge of Darkness”). “Yeah, something like that.” Clark deadpanned. “I am so over that whole revenge thing.” Laura lied convincingly.

“By the way…” Laura zipped away, startling everyone. She returned shortly with today’s edition of the Daily Planet. “Don’t even try and deny this…” Laura waved the headline page in front of Clark’s face. “Red and blue blur stuns city…saves many. By Lois Lane.” She read aloud.

She stood toe to toe with him, reaching upward to make eye contact. Laura flipped to another page. “Here you go…page three…Vigilante, terrorist, alien, or angel?” She read aloud, causing Clark to redden. “That was a follow up story by another journalist. Which is it, Clark?” She teased.

“It depends on one’s point of view.” Chloe butted in. “The Batman gets the same publicity over in Gotham City. Some are happy he and his sidekicks are around, others claim that the caped crusaders are doing whatever they want, and are on the police department payroll.”

“I can handle that lifestyle.” Laura smiled. “Laura Lake, the mysterious Gold Wing, saves Metropolis.” She quipped, imagining her own headlines. Kara and Chloe laughed. Clark wasn’t nearly as amused. Was the teen super hero serious, or just blowing smoke? He wondered.

“That kind of blows your secret identity.” Kara joked. “True. What do you think Clark?” Laura sped away and returned, looking completely different. She had piled her raven black hair high atop her head, leaving her trademark golden yellow strands of hair dangling loosely.

Laura had even donned the dummy ‘cat glasses’ that she enjoyed fooling people with. “Now you see Laura Lake, computer geek and nerdling.” She zipped away again and garnered everyone’s attention with a surprisingly mature looking costume.

Laura now sported black leather pants, the cuff coming about halfway down her shins, shiny black leather well heeled boots, a black leather jacket, a bright yellow low cut, cleavage sharing cropped shirt, which bared her midriff, and a simple black mask covering her eyes. “Voila! Gold Wing!” Laura said, jokingly doing a runway model walk across the floor and back.

“Works for me.” Chloe joked. Kara snickered. “I love it! Clark, what do you think?” She put her cousin on the spot. “I like it.” Clark said calmly, adding: “The mask is a bit much, though. Besides, no one’s going to be looking at your face.” Kara gasped. “Ooh! Snap! A compliment from my cousin?” Laura reddened, causing everyone to crack up.

Chloe continued to surf the web, finally coming across an interesting story. “I may have it, everyone.” She announced. “Three weeks ago, Metropolis Police picked up a guy that was described as, frightened out of his wits, the report states. MPD classified him as mentally disturbed.”

“He kept on ranting about a great evil, the end of all things.” Chloe read. “One word he mentioned frequently was Arcanah. I cross-referenced the name with our list of cult personalities. Arcanah came up as Janai Arcanah, High Priestess of the Arcanites. They’re on the government’s terrorist organization watch list. Though so far, they haven’t been connected with any criminal activity.”

“High Priestess?” Clark echoed. “Yes. Here’s a website that one of Janai’s zealots created. The data is a bit old, four years ago is the last blog entry date.” Chloe pulled up the Arcanite Web Page. “The Arcanites based their philosophy on Zoroastrianism, the ancient Persian religion.”

“Their lead prophet, Zarathustra, founded the religion, as an alternative to other cultures.” Chloe continued. “The Arcanites have co-opted some of the ideals and twisted them together with Friedrich Nietzsche’s philosophy. Man versus Superman, the religion of perfection.” Clark frowned.

“I’m getting a bad feeling about this.” He said as Chloe added. “According to their mantra, failure is a sign of weakness, and nothing can be learned from it, therefore it should be eliminated.” Kara’s eyes lit up. “Wow! Talk about being uptight!” Chloe read further. “The Arcanites also dabbled in Alchemy, or the legend of turning common metals into gold.”

“The Arcanite sect was established in Azerbaijan. The Department of Domestic Security lists its first contact and investigation of the cult as May, 2005. The year of the last great meteor shower.” Chloe gulped. “A phantom we missed?” Kara seized on the connection. “Let’s not jump to conclusions.” Clark warned. By now Laura was investigating her own leads on Janai Arcanah.

“I’ve got a photo. It’s not particularly clear, though.” She announced, as Clark, Kara, and Chloe crowded around her terminal. “Janai Arcanah, born in Kajikistan, 1984. She’s pretty.” Laura commented. “Beware devils in angel’s clothing.” Lois Lane chimed in. The reporter had just entered the room while everyone’s interest was on the Arcanite Website.

“Hey Cuz!” Chloe greeted her. “We have a new mystery?” Lois immediately shoved her way in between the others, surrounding Laura. “Hey kid! Nice outfit!” Lois praised the super-powered teen. “Are you going to give the Red and Blue Blur a run for his money?”

“Ooh, busted!” Kara muttered. Laura gulped, ignoring Lois’s comment. Clark had been worried, knowing that Lois and Jimmy were nearly onto him and his crime-fighting efforts. Fortunately, Lois was more interested in the Arcanite Website. “Are we tracking wackos full time now?” She joked. “Pretty much.” Clark replied warily. “I smell a story!” Lois smiled, as the room fell silent.

The computer console in front of Lois beeped. “You have mail!” She said, playfully. “From Uncle Tom?” Lois read. “We don’t have an Uncle Tom, do we Chlo’?” Chloe shook her head. “It’s probably just spam.” Kara observed. “Should I delete it?” Laura inquired.

“Wait. Chloe, how’re your virus and spam blocker programs?” Clark asked. “The best Lana could buy.” She replied without thinking it through. Clark grimaced. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to bring up the “L” word.” Chloe apologized with disdain. “Why?”

“Let’s check it out. Open it.” Clark urged Laura. The Email opened and one phrase popped up. “If you have tried and failed, does it mean that you’ve failed to try?” She read aloud. “It sounds like a riddle.” Chloe guessed. “It’s waiting for an answer.” Kara glanced over Laura’s shoulder.

“Friedrich Nietzsche.” Clark replied as Laura typed it in. The mail took them to a sub link. “What end did you pull that out of, Smallville?” Lois asked sarcastically. “It’s a history of the Arcanites!” Laura announced excitedly. “The riddle must have tripped a subroutine.”

Chloe read the story: The Arcanites were an obscure religious sect that descended from the Zoroasters, combining their philosophy with Wiccans, Pagans, and Druids, the Arcanah believed that they could shape the world in their own twisted image, with their slanted way of looking at things.

As with all narrow-minded cultures, the Arcanah thought that their view was the only righteous one, and everyone else’s view was incorrect or jaded. The Arcanah hierarchy was based on whose bloodlines were the purest, or specific to a certain area they grew up in, their homeland.

“Who does that sound like, Clark?” Chloe asked. Zod and Zor El! He mused silently, not wanting to alarm Lois. Labeled as a racist or closed society, the Arcanah’s numbers dwindled. She continued to read. One true blood Arcanite, Laslow Cur, recognized that his race was on the verge of extinction.

Cur also happened to have a degree in advanced applied biological sciences. “Wait a minute!” Laura interrupted. “My uncle, Robert Wells, crossed swords with Cur in 2006! He was a teacher at Lincoln University in Nebraska. My uncle became suspicious of Cur, based on his responses to a questionnaire in his Logic and Philosophy class.”

“Laslow’s answers seemed odd or unusual, if not downright anarchical to him. My uncle gave him a failing grade, which forced Cur to default on his intended degree. Eventually, Cur dropped out, and hooked up with another student, Janet Arkon.” Laura concluded. “Janai Arcanah!” Chloe snapped.

“It very well could be.” Clark agreed. “Anything else that you can remember, Laura?” The teen sleuth thought long and hard. “Sure!” She added excitedly. “Cur’s name came up with guess who? Rex Rowland! Rex hired Cur to work in research and development.”

“This is getting nasty!” Lois commented. “Rowland and Cur on the same team? I’d bet that it’s hardly a coincidence.” Clark shook his head. “We’re still missing something. You said Cur never attained his degree. Why would Rowland payroll him?” Laura shrugged. “Birds of a feather…?”

“There’s more to the letter.” Chloe returned everyone’s attention to the screen. The Arcanites slowly grew in number, finally making it onto the DDS watch list. Most government agencies regarded the Arcanites as a low level splinter group. They hadn’t been dealing in drugs, weapons, or any illicit activities, so the government tossed the file on the backburner. Chloe concluded.

“Why is there a bat on your Email screen?” Lois asked Chloe. “A bat? You mean the flying rodent kind?” She followed Lois’s gaze. “Exactly.” Clark and Kara collectively gasped. “I don’t know, Lo’ maybe someone’s pranking me.” Chloe tried to downplay the note.

“Bull!” Lois exclaimed. “You’re in contact with him, aren’t you?” Chloe was worried. “Him? Who?” Lois shook her head. “The Batman of Gotham.” Chloe laughed. “Why would the Batman want to contact me?” Lois turned to face her cousin. She had a hurt look on her face.

“What’s with all this cloak and dagger stuff, anyway?” Laura tried to distract Lois. “Okay, Lo’ The Batman is a fan of my Wall of Weird stories.” Chloe explained, which was at least partially true. “When I put my public meteor freak files on the web, and sent out a feeler to get said meteor freaks to respond to the Isis Foundation, the Batman picked up on it.”

“Honestly, this is the first time he’s E-mailed me. He’s called me a couple of times on my cell, but I can’t trace the call, nor would I want to. We know he’s located in Gotham, so why try tracking him?” Clark nodded. “Besides, I’m sure his security system blows the doors off of ours.”

Lois sighed with frustration. “Fine. Whatever!” Clark really felt bad about concealing things from Lois. He didn’t want to weave a new web of lies, like he’d done with Lana. Maybe, it was time…he lost his train of thought, as Laura noted that the bat icon flashed red. An emergency signal? She wondered. “Chloe, maybe you’d better take this.” She got up from the console.

Chloe sat in her spot. “Okay, I hate to say this, but everyone…out! I doubt if the Batman wants his mail broadcast on the ten o’clock news, or wants to make the headlines on the Daily Planet front page.” Lois put her hands up in resignation. “Fine! Don’t drop a house on me!”

“C’mon Lois, I’ll buy you a nice steaming Latte.” Clark gingerly put his arm around the journalist’s shoulders, causing Kara and Laura to snicker, as they all filed out of the control center. After they’d gone, Chloe opened the E Mail. It read:

Watchtower! Inquiry on Arcanah proves that their M O coincides with other instances of mysterious deaths across country. Usually with compromised explosives from government surplus. Follow up investigation shows Arcanites involved in anarchic uprising.

Rhetoric from web indicates that the Arcanites are plotting against government. Massive buildup in members, communication increased tenfold. They’re slowly being moved up on the terrorist watch list. As usual, the government is moving incrementally. Cumbersome red tape, be aware.

Arcanah are planning to relocate from Kansas to Central City. Latest intel shows that hits on the website have tripled in last two months. Best of luck, B G.

“B. G.?” Chloe repeated. “Batgirl!” She must be hooked up, and piggybacking on the Isis Foundation system. Those guys are good! She thought dryly.

more to come
                Last edited by gardy1; 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

TOTALLY awesome!!!

Comment

Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 2 - Violet

Violet Time Shard - Delusions of Grandeur

Chapter 3

A pretty young woman in a purple knee length dress walked barefooted across the rocky and sandy trail without complaint, or apparent injury to her feet. A tall olive skinned man walked beside her. He appeared to be of Middle Eastern descent. “We are ready, Priestess.” He informed her in a slight accent. “The lambs prepare for the slaughter.”

“Samir, you are so overly dramatic.” Janai said. “Not that I’m complaining. It is our destiny. We will once again walk proudly among the peoples of the world. The infidel’s will never see the dagger until it is within their belly.” Janai boasted. “Now who’s being dramatic?” Samir questioned.

“They will resist, my Priestess.” Samir pointed out. “Of course. All of our children will die with honor, their place assured by Zoros in the Promised Land.” Janai countered. “This day will long be remembered in our Faith.”

Janai and Samir walked gingerly up the path, leading to the top of the bluff. Central City’s skyscrapers loomed in the distance. Below them, Samir and Janai felt the ground rumble. The rocks split apart, as a legion of soldiers, clad in all black, walked out from the caves.

Each soldier was armed with a weapon, some old, common, guns, some new and improved versions, and some held daggers and decorated swords. Janai’s Army of Darkness had begun its march. Behind the foot soldiers rumbled old but still fully functional black tanks.

The legion crossed the path into the sunlight for the first time. The soldiers covered their faces briefly, since the light seemed to burn a hole in their retinas. It took them a moment to compensate by placing thick sunglasses, and common machinist goggles over their eyes.

Janai held up her arms, and the army halted its advance. “Today, my brethren, dawns a new day.” Janai began charismatically. “We begin our recapture of the world entreated to us by our ancestors. Earth will once again be the homeland of the Arcanah. Sword of Gideon…I call on you to watch over our children in this, the greatest of all battles.” Janai caused a flaming sword to appear above them.

Even Samir was impressed with the display, as he silently wondered how she managed to pull that vision off. The troops cheered as they followed row by row. Central City didn’t expect the onslaught.
                    The Army of Darkness would overwhelm the local police department.

The Arcanah had the element of surprise on their side. The battle quickly became bloody. The National Guard would be called up soon, but too late to save many. Street by street, the Army of Darkness captured, killed, and assaulted the residents, stopping briefly to pillage some neighborhood stores. By nightfall, the odds had evened. Dozens lay dead in the streets on both sides.

Scene: Underground bunker in Kansas City, Mo. Active missile silo conference room.

General Sam Lane pounded a fist on his desk. “How the hell could this happen?” His subordinates met him with blank stares. “Someone tell me how a terrorist organization could literally blitzkrieg an American city! They were right under our noses, for goodness sakes! Where the hell did they get fully functional tanks? How could they commandeer a few armored Humvees?”

Silence. “Get out! All of you!” The committee quietly got up, nervously grabbing their laptops, Raspberries, and paperwork, and began filing out. General Lane grabbed his second in command, Steven West, by the arm. “Steve, get me the Pentagon. We’ll probably have to negotiate to get our city back. We’ll find out what they want. The President will decide ultimately what to do.”

Gotham City – Bruce Wayne hurriedly undressed, stalking towards one of the secret entrances to the Bat Cave. Dick Grayson, and Barbara Gordon were already inside, fully dressed and ready to go. Alfred awaited Bruce’s arrival with the latest in Wayne Tech communication devices.

Bruce shot two specific alien goons with a predetermined weapon on his stand up arcade game. The wall behind the game slid open, revealing one of three high-speed elevators connecting Stately Wayne Manor with the refurbished Bat Cave, a few stories below ground level.

He entered his secret code, and the elevator dropped like a rock, shortly coming to rest with a hiss. Bruce vaulted over the three steps leading to the main Bat console. “How bad is it?” He demanded. Alfred shook his head. “It’s bad, Master Bruce. The terrorists have seized a quarter of Central City, leaving death and destruction in their wake.” Dick and Barbara looked solemn.

“Do we know who the terrorists are?” Bruce inquired. “No, Bruce. The speculation is that it was a homegrown terrorist group. The Department of Domestic Security is running silent as usual.” Dick replied. “I have an idea.” Barb said worriedly, as she called up her recent data on the Arcanah.

“I was able to warn Clark Kent and Chloe Sullivan before the attack. They didn’t really have any answers for me. This sect was plotting and storing their weapons in a set of caves in Central Kansas. They also raided three abandoned nuclear missile sites.” Barb explained.

Bruce’s eyes went wide. “Are we sure that they were abandoned?” Alfred shuddered at the thought. “With the government being typically secretive about everything, I couldn’t say for certain.” Barb confessed. “They haven’t made any demands yet.”
                    Last edited by gardy1; 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

Time Shards 2 - Dark Hearts / Insurrection

Scene: Kent Farm

Dark Hearts

No sooner had Clark returned from dropping Lois off at the Daily Planet, when his cell phone rang. It was Lois, and she also texted 911, her little code for ‘contact me immediately.’ Clark called her right back. “Yeah Lois, what’s up?” He asked, as he sat in the living room.

“How’d you get back to Smallville so quickly?” Lois grilled. Clark derided himself for being so clumsy. “I know that you never speed.” She threw in the dig. “Uh…what do you want…you text messaged 911.” Clark ignored her question. “Anyway, flip on your TV.” She directed.

Clark punched up the remote. There were aerial photographs of a battle raging within a city. The helicopter was zipping away as fast as it could, fearing a random attack. The reporter was screaming: “Get us out of here, Charlie!” The chopper barely avoided a small rocket explosion near its cockpit.

“What’s all this?” He asked her. “Some bizarre terrorist group laid siege to Central City.” Lois updated him. “They overwhelmed the police, and the National Guard had to be called in. It seems to be an even match so far. We should get over there!” She urged.

“That would be pointless, Lois. We’d never get close enough to grab the story.” Clark was mentally preparing himself for what he might be expected to do. In Earth’s past, this particular event had never happened, at least not that he could recall. Had he somehow caused this confrontation? He wondered.

“How could this happen?” Clark continued, shaking his head. “I don’t know, which is why I’m asking my father right now, as soon as I get off the line with you. I smell a big government cover up. There’s no way in hell that an army of this size could assault a city without anyone knowing about it.” Lois said angrily. “Should we contact our own sources, namely Oliver and Marcus Worthington?”

“It can’t hurt.” Clark agreed. “I’ll call Ollie.” He volunteered. “Thank you.” Lois said sincerely. “See you, Smallville.” She hung up. Kara had overheard the conversation, and the TV news story. She stood beside her cousin. “I’ll fly over there and check it out.” She offered. “Don’t try and stop me either!” Kara stated with conviction. “I wouldn’t dream of it. Just be careful.” Clark grinned thinly.

“You know, Kal, you really need to work on that whole flying thing. It saves a ton of time.” She commented. “This may be it, Clark.” She began. “The time for us to appear, I mean. John Jonz and everybody else were right. We can’t sit on our duffs and not get involved. Especially not with a conflict on this scale.” Kara concluded. “When did you become so smart?” He teased her.

“I have a good role model.” Kara smiled brightly. “Don’t worry! Girl of Steel, remember?” She playfully flexed her muscles. With that, Kara zipped out the door and immediately took to the air. She sailed straight out to Central City, a mere few minute’s flight from Smallville.

Kara dove at the rear line of tanks, grabbing one and literally tossing it on its side. Two surprised soldiers clambered out of it, seconds before the gas tank exploded. They were knocked out cold by the force of the blast. The Super Girl systematically grabbed and tossed tank after tank.

Next, she located the armored Humvees, and took a rocket blast full on the chest, wich sent her spiraling into the side of a low rise building. It took her a momet to recover, before she went right back at it. Picking up a Humvee and carrying it over to Central City Lake, where she tossed it to the sea bottom. The soldiers quickly swam out, and she dove into the water, returning them to the surface.

Kara placed two soldiers on the rocky beach. She sensed something odd about them. They sat there with blank expressions on their faces. Their skin color seemed to be off as well. They were pasty white, with Middle Eastern features. Kara x-rayed them and gasped. The men had no hearts!

Horrified, Kara landed in front of them. They continued to stare off into space, as if they hadn’t seen her at all. “You! What are you?” She pointed to the nearest one. Silence. She x-rayed them again, this time spending more time checking them out. They weren’t human, that much was certain.

The soldiers had a complex set of nerve endings connected to what appeared to her as silicone tubes, like an array of hoses. They had no obvious internal organs. Their brains appeared to be simple looking black control boxes, with some fairly common Earth made circuit boards.

“Biometric organisms?” She asked aloud, completely stunned. “Part human matter, part machine. Similar to Brainiac, but not as complex.” Kara muttered, folding her arms. Regardless, they were wreaking havoc on Central City, and Kara had to stop them, and then go after their builders and controllers. She flipped open her cell phone. Kal would have to be informed, she thought.

As soon as Kara speed dialed Clark’s phone, the two cloned soldiers exploded, showering her with blood and a foul smelling black liquid. Fearing she would wretch, Kara spun around quickly, which removed the entire residue from her body and clothes. She then left a message for Clark.

Valkyrie

Kara, disgusted by what she’d witnessed, once again took to the air. She’d annihilated a third of the attack force before a tall woman, with long blonde hair appeared beside her…flying! “What?” She was so shocked, that Kara almost flew into the side of a billboard.

“Hello little one.” The blonde greeted her politely. Kara stopped and hung in midair. “Who…or what exactly are you?” The woman was a good ten years older than Kara by her estimate. She had a stocky face with high cheekbones, and was smiling perversely. “I am Ariana Wulf. You are?”

“Kara Kent. Uh…I guess I don’t understand…” She replied. “That’s true. You are engaged in a battle that you know nothing about.” Ariana said haughtily. “What’s to know? Those creatures are attacking innocent people and destroying the city.” Kara snapped. “But do you know why?” Ariana asked.

“No! What difference does it make?” Kara argued. “You should always know your enemy before you do battle.” Ariana explained calmly. “I’m sorry, they didn’t E Mail or text us that they were going to attack! It’s nice to meet you, but we’re wasting time.” Kara said impatiently. “Are you going to help or not?” Ariana shrugged. “Surely. What side are you fighting for?”

Kara’s jaw dropped. “The humans, of course.” She answered coldly. “So, you’re not human?” Ariana countered. “No. Does it matter? Wrong is wrong.” Kara retorted. “It’s only wrong from your point of view. The opposition believes that they’re right.” Ariana continued in an annoyingly even tone.

“I’m not going to debate this with you.” Kara flew toward the North flank of the advancing army. She banked on a sharp turn and dove directly at the next line of zombie warriors. Fists extended before her, Kara pummeled every soldier in that garrison. She wasn’t sure whether they were alive or dead, nor did she care at this point. Ariana flew in the opposite direction, returning shortly.

The unusual being landed in front of Kara, bearing a large golden sword. The Super Girl flew around Ariana and continued to decimate the Army of Darkness. Ariana began to swing the sword at anything that moved. Slicing the zombies into pieces, splattering their vile fluid everywhere.

By now Clark had gotten Kara’s message and was about to leave when his super sensitive hearing picked up what sounded like canon fire nearby. He zipped towards the noise, eventually running across a similar army of soldiers, tanks, and armored vehicles…near Reeves Dam!

Gotham City – Barb Gordon fastened metal gauntlets around her forearms. She flexed the titanium ridges, to make sure that they were in proper working order. Next, she waved her titanium battle shield around, getting used to the weight, and how much pressure she needed to exert to block any incoming debris, like shrapnel, or god forbid, armor-piercing bullets.

The shield and gauntlets were custom designed by Wayne Tech, based on the Gotham City Police Department’s bulletproof vests. Lucius Fox had made some improvements on their new equipment. Bruce observed his young charges as they examined the new weaponry. They were so young, Dick and Barbara, he mused. Neither had yet made it out of their teens. He second-guessed his plan.

“Ready Bruce?” Dick asked anxiously, as he adjusted his leg armor. The twenty-something billionaire cocked his head. “Where’s your Robin outfit?” He asked his ward and longtime friend. “Oh that.” Dick shifted uncomfortably as he pulled on his own titanium gauntlets.

“I decided to make some changes.” Dick began, catching Barb’s interest as well. “I got to thinking, that it was time to bury the past, and mothball my green and yellow getup. It was time I let the ghosts of my family rest in peace. The Robin outfit was mostly to honor them. I decided to go with this darker piece. I prefer to look forward from now on, and forget about the revenge aspect.”

“That’s very mature of you, Dick.” Bruce stifled a chuckle by coughing. “Yes, carousing about the town all night dressed as bats and a bird is very mature.” Alfred said with a straight face. The three of them glanced at the manservant and guardian. Suddenly Alfred grinned. He’d caught them off guard with his dry British wit. Bruce shook his finger at him and laughed. “You got us, Alfred!”

“Yes I do. Always.” The elder gentleman said seriously. “What do we call you now, Master Dick?” Young Grayson took a deep breath and said: “Nightwing!” Bruce shrugged. “Sounds good to me.” Barb couldn’t resist teasing her friend and fellow crime-fighter. “This new revelation wouldn’t have anything to do with your recent encounter with Kara Kent and Laura Lake, would it?”

“No.” Dick dismissed her with a wave. “No, of course not, Richard.” Barb needled. “They were kind of cute, Dick, and about your age.” Bruce piled on, embarrassing his young protégée. “I suppose they were okay.” He downplayed, causing Barb to crack up again.

“We’re heading to Central City then?” Dick questioned. “No, actually, we’re not.” Bruce replied. Barb, Dick, and Alfred gasped. “Why not?” Batgirl was stunned. “Because the Batman would just get in the way. It’s too late to stop that insurrection. We’ll have to let the proper authorities, like the riot police, National Guard, and any other government agencies that are involved handle it.”

“We’re heading back to Smallville.” Bruce decided. “I’m sure that an army of terrorists that were that organized, have more than one attack planned. I believe that Barb was correct. The Arcanites are behind the assault. We all dropped the ball on that one. Everyone dismissed the Arcanah as just another fringe group. Clearly they’re not.”

Comment

OMG! I totally love it! You've done a super-job!!

Comment

Time Shards - Violet - Insurrection

Insurrection: Features Clark and Lois's first flight, without being 'under the influence'

Chapter 4

Scene: Daily Planet

Daddy? What’s going on out there?” Lois Lane sat helplessly behind her desk at the Daily Planet. “Now’s not a good time, Lo’.” Sam Lane growled into her phone. “We got caught with our pants down, is what happened. We spent so much time and money on the international terrorists, that we took our eye off the ball, and ignored domestic terrorists. Someone’s going to hang for this.”

Lois was near tears. “Is there anything I can do, we can do, to help?” General Lane swore vehemently as another one of his troop carriers burst into flame outside of Central City. He’d been watching the conflict escalate via a remote TV hookup in the Missouri Army Bunker.

“It’s bad, Lo’. I’m going to get on the horn with the big guy next. Our Commander in Chief has authorized an air assault on the terrorists’ position.” Sam was about to say goodbye when something exploded in nearby Kansas City. “Holy crap!” He exclaimed as the ground shook above him.

“Daddy? Are you okay?” Lois was fully in tears now. “Something’s up Lo’, I have to go. If it hits the fan, you have to stay strong. Find Lucy and take care of her, got it?” At that instant, Clark zipped into the newsroom, hurriedly accelerating his pace over to Lois’s cubicle.

“Daddy?” Lois’s voice had gone too high. Clark had only caught General Lane’s last comment. Static disrupted their communication. There was a muffled explosion in the background. “Bye Lo’, love you!” Sam clicked off the phone, as Lois cried openly, putting her head in her hands.

Clark put his arm around her. “Lois, it’s okay.” He said quietly. Her head snapped up. Clark saw the anger in her eyes. “It is not okay, Clark!” She yelled. “Why does this bad stuff keep happening to us? I have to do something!” Clark had no answer for her. Lois reached into her desk drawer, and pulled out a silver revolver, snapping its safety off.

“Whoa! Put that thing away!” Clark hissed. “How’d you get that piece in here to begin with?” Lois grinned evilly. “Trust me, Smallville, you don’t want to know.” Clark put his hands up, nervously glancing across the room. “I’m sure that I don’t.” He retorted. “What’re you planning to do?”

Lois placed the revolver carefully in the back waistband of her skirt. “Anything I can, starting with a trip to Kansas City to save my father.” She snarled. “Lois, you can’t help him. You’ll never get within a mile of the place! Besides, didn’t he say to watch over Lucy?”

Lois wiped a tear from her cheek, sniffling. “How’d you know that?” She eyed him suspiciously. “Uh…it makes sense that he would say that.” Clark responded lamely. “Whatever, Smallville! I just can’t sit here while the whole world goes to hell around us. Don’t you get it? We were attacked by terrorists, right under our collective noses. This is like 9 11 part two.”

Clark gulped. Kara had been right. She’d said that it was time to step up. “Lois, do you trust me?” He asked, nearly pleading with her. “Of course, why?” Lois wondered. He took a deep breath. In the little amount of time since Kara had left the farm, Clark had been practicing.

It had been a lot harder than he’d imagined. Fortunately, it was like riding a bicycle, one might never forget how, he sighed. Lois had provided him with a new incentive. “Let’s go!” He urged. Lois smiled brightly. “Now that’s what I’m talking about, Clarkie. Way to step up!”

She led him towards the elevator. The newsroom was mostly empty, and the few reporters that remained had been too busy to pay them any mind. Clark took her by the hand. “No! This way!”

Clark partially dragged Lois towards the supply closet on the eighth floor newsroom. He knew of a window that faced a lower rooftop on the Daily Planet building, which faced LuthorCorp Tower. “What way?” She protested mildly. Clark heard Perry White’s office door open.

Clark unceremoniously shoved Lois into the supply closet. “What the hell?” She snapped. “Lois, be quiet!” He ordered. “Huh?” The startled young reporter took his advice upon hearing Perry’s approach. Clark slammed the entrance shut, nearly catching Lois’s foot in the door.

“Kent! What the Sam Hill are you doing over here? The whole world’s going to hell in a handbag. I need my reporters focused…” Perry began an agonizing lecture. “I need to get supplies, chief!” Clark said impatiently. “Okay! Be quick about it!” Perry said as he shook his head and stalked away. Clark shoved Lois further into the supply closet.

“Smallville! This is no time for a romantic encounter, and certainly not in a supply closet!” Lois complained angrily, but kept her voice low. “You said that you’d trust me, right?” Clark reminded her. “Yeah but…” Before she could protest any more, he pushed past her and used his elbow to break the large window. The glass clattered down onto the rooftop below.

The softer shingles muffled the sound. The shards fell harmlessly out of their way, startling a community of pigeons. Clark made sure that all the glass edges were knocked from the window frame. He reached back and pulled Lois atop the windowsill.

Clark held her by the waist like a football, and vaulted high into the air. “Aaaaaah! Kent! Are you insane?” She yelled, closing her eyes. Clark snickered as he sailed over LuthorCorp Tower and flew up, up and away from Metropolis, Lois in tow. “I got you!” He joked. “Who’s got you?” Lois countered as she gripped him tightly, and courageously glanced down at the streets far below.

Lois’s voice cracked. “Now I know how the blonde felt in King Kong, though I must say that you’re a bit cuter than the ape.” Clark grinned as he remembered the reality where he’d first rescued Lois from the helicopter accident so many years ago. As different as this Time Shard was, it had definite similarities to earlier events in Superman’s life. “Thanks, I think.” He quipped.

Lois clung to Clark’s shoulder for dear life. “Smallville, slap me and wake me up.” She said sarcastically as Oliver’s penthouse loomed just below them. “I’m not going to slap you, Lois. This is who I am.” Superman defended, gaining a sense of déjà vu.

“Mild mannered farm boy slash wanna bee journalist, Clark Kent…a super man with amazing powers, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound…” Lois continued to tease him. “That’s got quite a ring to it. Who’d have thought it? Where’s my Clark and what did you do with him?”

Superman laughed heartily. “It’s me, Lois, Clark, trust me on that.” They soared upwards into a low hanging fog bank above Metropolis Bay. The flight had been fast, and Clark secretly hoped that no one had noticed them. “You’re the amazing red and blue blur, aren’t you?” Lois smirked.

“Actually, I think that was Kara half the time.” Clark confessed. “She never listens to me.” He added. “This is what drove Lana nuts, isn’t it? You’re leading a double life.” Lois commented. Superman lost some concentration, and they dropped a few hundred feet. “Whoa! I’m sorry! I won’t bring up the L word again!” Lois yelled, clinging tighter to him. “Relax, Lois. Enjoy the ride.” Clark joked.

“What do we do now, Smallville?” Lois asked. “We’re going to rescue your father, and then we’re going to show the terrorists who’s boss!” Clark said boldly.

Lois was impressed with Clark’s determination. It turned her on. She kissed him on the cheek as they soared over the Kansas farm fields on the way to Missouri. “My own personal superhero!” Lois gushed like a schoolgirl. “Remember Clark, I get the exclusive!”

“I assume the mysterious red and blue blur has an explanation for all this?” She hinted. Clark gave her his best ‘innocent’ look. “For all what?” Lois pinched him. Naturally, he didn’t feel it. “All this defying gravity for instance, that is not normal!” She insisted as Clark laughed.

He banked clumsily, upsetting Lois’s balance for a moment. She shrieked. “Hey Smallville! No turbulence please! I don’t have an airsick bag.” Lois quipped. Clark smiled, though he wasn’t as sure of his impending landing as he was of the initial flight. “Normality is highly overrated.” He added.

Lois enjoyed this new, more confident, and cocky Clark Kent. This is going to make a great story, she mused silently, in fact, this will make a great career. Back to business at hand, she refocused. Superman began a slow nosedive toward a deserted area outside of Kansas City. The Army missile silo was just ahead, hidden in a simple industrial park.

“Please put your seats in the upright position.” Lois joked, but Clark was concentrating intently on his final approach. He wobbled a bit as the flight drew in over a forest ridge and a limestone encrusted hill, roughly eight to nine stories high, with the reddish brown clay of Missouri shown throughout it.

“Uh Lois…I have a confession to make.” Clark began warily. “What?” She was all seriousness again. “I’ve never landed with a passenger before.” Lois yelped. “What?” She clambered over him, her hand covering his eyes by accident. “Lois! I can’t see! Stop fidgeting!” Clark protested.

Lois scrambled atop Clark’s back, straddling him like a horse. She nearly put him in a stranglehold, closing both arms around his throat, simultaneously lowering herself onto his back. “Smallville! I swear if we live through this, I’m going to kill you!” He shook his head, loosening her grip.

“Clark! Tree! For God sakes, pull up!” Lois shouted as he cracked the top branches off a tall oak tree with his knee. This is not going well, he thought silently. I should’ve practiced more. Clark spotted a slow moving river, which led to a small waterfall. The water cascaded pleasantly over the rocks.

I should have enough time…he mentally measured the distance. “Lois, do you trust me?” She gulped. “Yes, of course, Clark. Quit asking me that.” Superman slowed his speed, flying directly over the brook. He followed it out to a deeper point. “You’ll be all right Lo’ I’ve seen you swim!”

“Clark Kent! Don’t you dare!” Lois yelled above the din of the water bouncing off the rocks. He carefully yanked her off his back, and slowed to nearly a stall speed. “Smallville! No way!” He held her with one arm. She screamed as Clark dropped her into the river. It was deep enough. He saw her resurface a moment later, cursing vehemently.

Superman decided to try and land vertically. He mentally forced himself to change direction in mid air. He focused on the ground below. Clark’s feet hit first, digging into the soft muddy riverbank. The landing stuck, but his momentum forced the ground to come up behind him.

He somersaulted forward into the thick foliage, filthy, but undamaged. That wasn’t so bad, he observed. Clark quickly righted himself, and dashed back towards the river. He had to reach Lois before she went over the edge of the waterfall. Superman dove into the water ahead of her.

He surfaced a few seconds later, a wet and angry Lois in his arms. “I don’t believe you did that!”
                          With his superior strength, Clark easily dragged Lois out of the river and onto the shore. Once settled, she slapped his face. Of course it didn’t hurt, physically. “What’s wrong with you?” She hissed. Clark reddened. “Lois, I’m…” He began. She cut him off by kissing him passionately.

The two of them stood on the riverbank, muddy and sopping wet, in a lengthy clinch. “If you’re through fooling around, we still have to rescue my father.” Lois said after another lip lock. Amazingly, Lois still had the silver revolver tangled in her skirt waistband.

She pulled it out, snapping off the safety. “Lock and load, Smallville. It’s time to kick some ass!” Clark hesitated as Lois took the lead. “Lois, I don’t like guns.” He said calmly. “I don’t either, Smallville. What’re we gonna do, spout poetry at the terrorists?” Lois asked, her voice filled with sarcasm. “I’ll handle the terrorists.” Superman said with conviction.

“Handle them with what? Are you indestructible?” Lois asked skeptically. Clark nodded. “Practically.” He replied smugly. “Seriously?” She forced a smile. “Yes Lois, there are very few things that can harm me.” Clark enjoyed telling her the truth, but the risk to her was still high.

“I want you to stick close to me. The missile silo is just a quick walk ahead.” Clark directed, taking the lead back from her. Lois wouldn’t put away the gun, but she took his hand. He secretly admitted that he was enjoying all this excitement. It had been far too long in the other reality, since he’d truly had fun. It didn’t hurt that he and Lois were young and reckless and in love again.

Maybe he’d been looking at the whole time shard process wrong, Clark analyzed. His intention was to save Earth’s future, by rebuilding its past. Perhaps he could stay here, in this violet shard? Superman mused as they neared the first chicken wire fence surrounding the covert ops base.

He blasted a five-foot wide hole in the fence with his heat vision. “Sweet! That’s some serious firepower, Smallville!” Lois exclaimed as it dawned on her. “You’re not human?” She had mixed feelings about this new revelation. “No Lois, I’m not. I’m from a planet called Krypton.”

“Get out! Pull the other one!” Lois scoffed. Clark found her skepticism refreshing. “How’d you get here, alien boy?” She chuckled as she scrunched between the sides of the chicken wire that he held open for her. “My biological parents sent me here in a spaceship.” He explained.

Clark quickly went into the story of Krypton, and how he and Kara had been miraculously spared. Lois had her doubts, but for the moment accepted his bizarre explanation at face value. They found the silo unguarded, definitely a bad sign. “This is too easy.” Lois remarked, waving her gun.

“Hold up.” Clark stopped her to x-ray the silo and the covert bunker below. He could only make out bits and pieces of the area, due to the thick shielding around it, some of which had to be lead. “What? Did you hear something?” Lois’s heart pounded. “No. That’s the problem. It’s totally silent.” He replied, adding: “The missile and all the controls are still in place. No personnel.”

“That can’t be good, Clark.” Lois said tearfully. “The silo is always manned by at least two Special Ops guards, you know, the guys with the missile launch keys.” Superman made a decision. “Lois, we have to go down there. I can’t see everything.” She nodded. “We’ll be breaking about a hundred government laws by entering the facility. Oh well, it was a nice career while it lasted.” She joked.

Clark tore the thick, heavy, padded door to the facility off its hinges. No alarms sounded. “Nice! Talk about a Man of Steel.” Lois praised, as she followed him down the twisting silo steps into the darkness. “No lights either, that’s definitely an indication of a problem.” She commented.

“The electrical grid is completely off line, Clark!” Lois said, horrified. “Do you know what that means?” Superman shook his head. “The missile silo is unprotected. Literally, anyone could get in here. There are likely a dozen or so silos in the area surrounding the base!”

“This is big!” Lois fussed with her damp skirt pocket, retrieving her cell phone. “I assume this is waterproof.” Clark gently took it from her. “Here, let me.” He blew the phone and their clothes dry. “Thanks. That’s convenient.” She remarked. “You don’t go around blowing girls’ skirts up, do you?”

Clark reddened. “No, not usually.” He deadpanned. How could Lois maintain her sense of humor in such a dire circumstance, he wondered silently. “Who would you call?” Superman asked. “I’m going to try my father, again. This is now a matter of national security. Our little breaking and entering stunt is nothing compared to an organized assault by a deadly enemy.”

“We have to find someone. This power grid has to come back on.” Lois added. Clark continued to survey the silo and its surrounding bunker with his x-ray vision but saw no one. The good thing was that he hadn’t found any skeletons of the deceased, yet either.

“Nothing…static.” Lois slammed her cell phone shut, and replaced it in her skirt pocket. “Clark, we’re on our own here. Someplace in this poor excuse for a gopher hole is an electrical main throw switch. We have to find it and secure the silos. Maybe if we do that, the alarms will sound.”

“That’s a good thing, because…?” Clark asked. “If we flip the power grid back on, it sends an automated distress signal to the Pentagon.” Lois replied. “Honestly, Smallville, what would you do without me?” Clark smirked. “I don’t ever want to find out.” Lois grinned. “Aww! Thanks!”

“We still have no idea what’s going on, and Kara likely has her hands full with the terrorists in Central City.” Superman pointed out. “Really! Dad was livid! These terrorists took everyone by surprise, even us. We guessed that the Arcanah were behind this, but we couldn’t prove it.”

“I suppose if we follow that conduit, we would run into the main switch box eventually.” Clark motioned towards the seven layers of rigid conduit pipes that blanketed the ceiling just above them. “You know, for a space alien, you’re pretty slick, Smallville.” Lois praised, grabbing his arm.

“Thanks.” He grinned thinly. “Actually, I’m very fast.” Lois snickered. “Not too fast, I hope.” She smiled lustily. “Meaning, I could cover the entire complex in no time.” Clark admitted. “I hate to leave you alone though.” Lois understood his point. “Go ahead, if you want to. Don’t worry about me. I grew up with the army brats. I can take care of myself.”

“Are you sure?” Clark double-checked. “Yeah, I’ll be fine. It’s obvious that no one’s home. Plus I have my friend, here.” Lois waved the silver gun at him. Clark frowned. “Okay, I promise! I won’t shoot to kill unless I have to. Don’t be such an old lady!” Lois said playfully.

Clark lingered a moment longer. Lois sighed, and kissed him on the cheek. “Now go!” She slapped him on the ass. Superman zipped through the silo, leaving a choking trail of dust behind him. Lois coughed. “That is something else!” She croaked, continuing on her way to find the electrical main.

Clark zoomed through silo after silo, achieving the same result every time. No personnel, no power, and the missiles, both fake and real, stood motionless, apparently undisturbed. Finally, within the largest bunker, Superman found signs of recent activity.
                          Last edited by gardy1; 04-03-2009, 01:30 PM. Reason: chapter update

Comment

That was so tearful with Lois and her dad! I love the Kara bits!

Comment

Time Shards 2: Violet Shard - Firefight

Firefight:

Scene: The missile silo in Missouri outside of Kansas City.

Clark spied about a dozen people, he assumed to be soldiers, huddled around a computer console deep within the bunker. Even with superior eyesight and x-ray vision, Clark had barely seen them. He quickly sped over to the garrison. “Excuse me…” he began as two guards turned their AK-47’s on him. “What the hell are you doing down here, boy?” A rather large dark skinned soldier asked.

“This is a restricted area, kid!” Another good-sized brown skinned soldier remarked. The two light skinned soldiers trained their weapons on Clark’s head and chest. He noted that the red laser light gun sight beams crisscrossed his whole body. “I know that. I…uh… noticed that the power was off…”

“No one is supposed to know that these missile silos are here.” An older gray haired soldier, likely a commander, said. “With all due respect, sir, everyone knows that these are here.” Clark defended lamely. “I don’t have time to slap you in irons, boy, now get out before I lose my patience.” The commander growled.

“What the hell is all the fuss?” An older, cigar-chewing soldier asked. “General, we found a trespasser.” The lieutenant replied, ignoring the fact that Clark found them. “A trespasser, eh? Let me look at him.” The General had been slightly injured. Dried blood had stuck to his standard uniform. A white and red patch had been haphazardly placed over his left eye.

“Kent? Is that you? Jonathan’s boy? The hell are you doing in Missouri, to say nothing of being on a secured government base without permis…no!” The General stopped his conversation abruptly. “Please tell me that my fool daughter, Lois, is not here, dragging you into this mess.”

“Yes sir. General Lane? Lois is in the northernmost silo looking for the main power grid switch.” Clark answered as the other soldiers muttered. “Kent, walk with me.” General Lane gestured for the guards to stand down, and they warily watched as Clark passed them.

“Kent, this situation is equivalent to DEFCON Four.” Sam Lane began. “We’ve had no outside contact since the grid went down. I assume all the missiles are still in place, given that I haven’t heard them ignite?” Clark nodded. “Yes sir. With the power off, Lois said that they’re vulnerable.”

“I could try calling her.” Clark offered. “Won’t do any good. The cell phone signals don’t work down here, even with the power grid down. How did you two get in here?” Sam asked. “The doors were open.” Sort of, Clark thought silently. “Terrific! Did you tell anyone you were coming?”

“No sir. Lois was in a hurry to rescue you.” Clark commented. “Yeah, that sounds like my Lo’ always rushing into things she doesn’t understand.” Sam grumbled. “Anyway, she’s well, I take it?” Clark nodded. “She’s doing great, I hope.” They walked deeper into the missile silo.

“Frankly Kent, I don’t quite know what to do. We followed the bureaucratic protocol to the letter.” Sam turned down another walkway. “We were able to change the launch codes at the last moment before the power went out. That means that the missiles are dead in the dirt.”

“That’s a good thing, right?” Clark attempted to understand the problem. “Yes and no, the launch codes can be overridden by the Pentagon. Also, the terrorists, in theory, could take apart the missile payload and create several dirty bombs. They needn’t launch anything. They could simply waltz into the middle of Manhattan, and drop the load. Thousands of people would die.”

“Have you seen any terrorists, General lane?” Clark asked, getting a bad feeling about the whole thing. “That’s just it, Kent. We haven’t seen a one. I’ve heard no gunfire, in fact, I’ve heard nothing since the initial explosion. I thought that I might’ve gone deaf, but no one else heard anything.”

“What specifically exploded, sir?” Clark asked patiently. They turned down another winding corridor that Superman assumed led to the other silos. “The bunker above Silo Two.” Sam replied. “At first we thought it was an accident. Yet protocol determined that we secure the weapons facilities.”

“We came back to the various control centers, and the power was shutting down.” Sam explained. “How many soldiers man these silos and the bunkers?” Clark asked. “That’s classified, Kent, but I will say that we aren’t missing any troops.” Sam continued. “That rules out subterfuge.”

“If Lois gets the power grid up and running, will that notify the Pentagon that there’s a problem?” Clark checked his girlfriend’s story. “Yes. They also have to hear from us within fifteen minutes, or they’ll begin preparations for a counter strike.” Sam answered.

“A counter strike?” He echoed. “Yes son, a full on nuclear strike!” Sam said worriedly. “Nuclear strike? On whom?” Clark was incredulous. “On us, son, on us. The fat cats assume that our facility has been compromised, and that the enemy is in control of the facilities.”

“That’s insane!” Clark protested. “Yes it is, sometimes. The way the powers that be view it, we’re collateral damage. The good of the many outweighs the good of the few, and all that. We know that much going in.” Sam continued. “We heard that some terrorists attacked Central City?” Clark asked.

“Yes son. They were well organized and caught the city by surprise. The police were outmatched, and at last report, they’d sent in the National Guard.” Sam led him into another silo. “Here’s a checkpoint.” He indicated an open area near the local missile’s control center.

“From here we can contact each other with the walkie-talkies. General Lane to Commander Kreigh, do you copy?” The communication device crackled and sputtered. Sam moved it around the area until he got a choppy signal. “This is General Lane…copy?”

“That sounded like a shout!” Sam exclaimed, drawing his weapon. “Red team! Report!” The General shouted into the walkie-talkie. Silence. “No offense, General Lane, but I can move faster on my own.” Clark was about to sprint away. “Kent! Whatever happens, you save my little girl! Got it?”

“Got it!” Clark turned a blind corner and zipped into hyper speed. He reached the soldiers quickly, but not in time to save all of them. Two men were down already. They were pinned down by a group of creepy looking assassins dressed in all black. Clark noted that their weapons were unusual.

The guns the terrorists used were some kind of energy particle blasts, not standard gunpowder and projectile type. Superman vaulted right into the firefight, deflecting the army’s bullets off his back and the particle beams off his chest. The beams seemed to have more punch.

Clark felt the energy blasts impacting him, though they were being more of an annoyance than causing him any pain. Unfortunately on human skin they caused severe burns, like being hit with bolts of electricity. Hmmm, electrical based weapons? He considered. That explains a lot.

The weapons must’ve drained the electrical grid, as the terrorists powered them up. That would account for the slow energy loss before General Lane’s men changed the launch codes.

Superman put up both hands, deflecting the bolts of energy back at the terrorists. Several couldn’t move out of the way in time and were hit, likely killed. Clark tried not to think about it. After all, the terrorists brought it on themselves. His goal was to confiscate and destroy the new weapons.

“What the hell’s that kid doing?” The brown skinned guard shouted as he dodged some stray energy blasts. Clark decided to kill the emergency power lights by melting them with his heat vision. Now everyone was in the dark. The soldiers would take a few moments to switch to their night vision goggles. Superman would use that time to attack the terrorists.

The assault team was relentless, firing randomly in a roughly circular pattern. Clark tracked the blasts of light back to the shooter. He punched one after the other, knocking several out cold instantly. He used his X-ray vision to track the rest. Something was wrong…the terrorists hadn’t any major organs within their bodies! What the hell am I fighting? He silently mused.

They’re not human, yet not alien. Superman gasped, a collective of mindless soldiers fighting to the death? He was incredulous. How could they be controlled or created in the first place? Clark recalled briefly Lois’s encounter with her old friend, Wes. He’d been nearly turned into a mindless zombie.

These beings were still different than that. Wes had a mind. He rebelled against Lex who was undoubtedly pulling the soldier’s mental strings. These things hadn’t a brain, just a black box for controlling actions and movement. He hesitated briefly, are they alive or dead?

Was Brainiac somehow behind these automatons? Clark focused his gaze on one creature’s black box. It carried a label. ‘Made in Taiwan’? You’ve got to be kidding, he thought. They weren’t sophisticated enough to be created by Brainiac, which means that a human terrorist had unleashed them. Clones? He decided. Partially designed by someone with a Masters in Biological…

It hit him, Laslow Cur, Biological Science major, and in league with Lex, Rex Rowland, and H.K. Mosuban. It all fit. Clark grabbed the last few clone warriors, and smashed their heads together, essentially killing their motor functions. The energy beams stopped firing.

The lights came back on, as Sam Lane jogged into the central command center. “What the hell happened here?” he shouted. Lieutenant Kreigh responded: “We were ambushed, sir. We lost Tagliano and Smolin. They died honorably, defending our country and helped stop the terrorists from accessing the launch bay command ops, and therefore kept the codes from enemy hands, Sir.”

“Captain Sherrow, contact the Pentagon. I’ll speak to the Commander in Chief personally.” Sam ordered as the subordinate complied. Clark made it a point to examine every soldier left. Fortunately, they were all human. That still didn’t rule out any collusion with the enemy, Superman observed, but that was a matter for the Army now. There probably wouldn’t be any evidence anyway.

“General Lane…a moment.” Clark requested as Lois came storming in waving her silver revolver. “Freeze! All of you!” She ordered without thinking. “Oh. I see you handled it, Clark.” She said sheepishly as she glanced around the room at the pile of bodies.

“Lo’ what in the name of…?” Sam grimaced as his daughter approached, cautiously stepping over the downed terrorists. “Daddy? I see you’re all right.” She remarked. Just to be safe, Clark x-rayed her, and yes, it was his Lois, none the worse for wear.

“I see you got the power grid back on line.” Clark commented as Lois hugged her father, nodding. The soldier that had seen Clark jump into the middle of the firefight eyed him up and down.

Lois and the General were done hugging. “Soldier, is there a problem?” Sam snapped as he watched the subordinate close in on Clark. “Permission to speak freely sir?” Sergeant Vasquez asked. “Granted.” Sam replied as Lois hugged Clark, embarrassing him.

“Sir, with all due respect, sir. This civilian jumped into the middle of a live firefight without a weapon. Frankly sir, he should be full of holes like a six foot something chunk of Swiss cheese.” Vasquez stood at attention. Clark stifled a snicker, as did Lois.

“Are you complaining, Sergeant? Perhaps you’d like me to Court Marshal him?” Sam lit a new cigar. “Sir, no sir!” Vasquez responded. “If more civilians got involved in protecting their country, all of our jobs would be a lot easier.” Sam defended, bringing a proud smile to Lois’s face.

“Dismissed, Sergeant.” Sam ordered. “Sir, yes sir!” Vasquez said as he returned to monitoring the communications console that had just come on line. “General, do you have a secured conference room available?” Clark asked politely. “Sure, Kent. Lt. Kreigh, has the Pentagon confirmed a draw down?” Sam asked. “Yes sir.” Kreigh replied. “Fan freakin’ tastic!” Sam smiled broadly.

“Captain Sherrow, send all troops back to their positions. Let’s get these birds’ cages locked up.” Sam ordered. “Lt. Shaw, take the surviving prisoners to the lock up. Special Ops brass will be here soon to interrogate them. Lt. Johansen, accompany him. Don’t be exceedingly gentle with ‘em either!”

Clark flushed. “What’s up, Smallville? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Lois asked as she rubbed his back. “I might have.” He replied menacingly. “Lo’ and Kent, front and center. We need to keep our debriefing short. Let’s move.” Sam bellowed, as Lois and Clark followed in lock step.

“Why do I feel like I’ve just been drafted?” Clark quipped as Lois smiled brightly. “That’s life with the General. Buck up!” She teased. Apparently Lois was still in shock, seemingly undeterred by the fact that she was falling in love with an alien from another world.

Sam Lane kicked open the conference room door, and secured it behind them. “What’s going on, Lo’? We’re fully in crisis mode.” He questioned his daughter. “General Lane, I have information on our enemies.” Clark began officially, startling Lois with his candor.

“Really? Kent, you are amazing!” He praised. “You have no idea.” Lois murmured. “What’s that, Lo’?” She reddened. “Nothing, carry on!” Clark took a deep breath, and quickly went into his explanation and theories.

“That’s fascinating, Kent. I knew there was something odd about you.” Sam analyzed. “Daddy!” Lois flushed. “What I mean, Sir, is that this enemy is not entirely human. When your officials examine the bodies more closely, this will all bear out.” Clark concluded. Lois’s eyes widened.

“You’re sure, Kent?” Sam asked. “Absolutely. I have no proof as to who’s responsible, or who’s controlling the warrior zombies, but there is no question.” Sam Lane lit yet another cigar, as Clark brushed the smoke away from his nose. Lois sat nearby, silently stunned.

“Listen Lo’, Clark, what I’m about to tell you does not leave this room.” Sam lowered his voice menacingly. “All of those horror stories I told Lois as a child are true. Governments have been experimenting with zombie type armies for years. This, however, is way out of bounds.”

“Most zombie armies were to be controlled by mind altering drugs, or intense brainwashing. The Nazis first experimented with genetically enhanced warriors in the 1940’s.”

“Hitler’s race of Supermen.” He stopped to let that sink in. “Damned if Hitler nearly pulled it off, too. That was before my time, but the Lanes have been in the Armed Services since World War I.”

“Grandpa knew?” Lois shuddered. “Sure he did, Lo’. He’d seen some of America’s attempts at a single- minded army. We never could pull the trigger on that one. The powers that be at the time tossed the genetic supermen project on the backburner after they developed the Atomic Bomb.”

“The next big thing in warfare was jet propulsion, then supersonic fighters, the stealth initiative, the portable nuke, and believe it or not, spaceships.” Sam said seriously. “That’s right Lo’ and Clark. We built some of those UFO’s everyone was seeing throughout the fifties and into the late sixties.”

“The Russians have them, so do the Chinese, and our pals, the Brits. The problem has been that the UFO projects tend to be expensive, and don’t lend themselves easily to mass production. I heard that they actually got the one in Roswell to work.”

“The next big thing is supposed to be our drones, the unmanned fighters that buzz the Middle East frequently. No one had been developing genetic supermen. We were most likely going to go with a droid army. Keep our troops at home, or on the bases with a joystick. That’s the future of warfare for the U.S.” Sam concluded as Lois whistled.

“So whoever built these zombies would be part of some rogue element.” Clark assumed. “That’d be my guess, Clark.” Sam confirmed. “I have to insist that you two keep this under your hats. Take it to your graves if you have to. We appreciate your help, Clark, however you managed to keep from being turned into Vasquez’s Swiss cheese. Leave the fighting to the professionals.”

“You’re both over twenty-one now. Go home, get drunk, party with your friends, watch those insipid rock videos. Enjoy your lives. It’s our job to keep you safe, though we all seemed to have dropped the ball with these zombie freaks. Rest assured the NSA and Black Ops will order a full investigation once we quell the unrest.” Sam was dismissing them.

Comment

I LOVE IT!!! Totally AWESOME!!! You're great!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎