Beyond Smallville: Time Shards 2

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Shards continues

Next up: Time Shards 3: The Hex Factor

What could be more fun than Amazons, Witches, and Greek Gods?

read on

thanks
    gardy1

Comment

Thanks

Sadly, Smallville will be ending this season. I still hope for a sequel or spin off series, but if not, i'll continue writing. The stories will be at my website;

thanks
      gardy1

Comment

Time Shards 2

This is a bump up for TS2. I'm going to try and complete the Time Shards story during this next Smallville hiatus.

gardy1

Comment

Time Shards 2: Faith and Fate

Clark was about to touch the next colored gem on one of the facets of the Eye of Rao. He walked leisurely from his barn loft hideaway across the damp grassy lawn that lined the gravel driveway leading up to the Kent farmhouse. Suddenly his finger froze in place! “Now what?” He protested loudly.

Clark tried with all his might to press the orange red gem, but found that even with all of his super strength, he couldn’t budge it. His visual acuity changed. A nearby crow froze in midair, its wings stuck in a permanent flap. The moisture droplets on the early morning grass solidified.

Superman felt dizzy and a giant black abyss seemed to swallow him whole. Next, a tall, mostly cement tower shimmered into view, it had windows cut into the stone in the familiar shapes of the ancient Egyptian culture. There was the Egyptian ankh, the pyramid, and the all-seeing eye. All images were of a time more than three thousand years into Earth’s past.

Clark floated alongside the tower, which appeared to be just hanging out in the air, with no foundation, and nothing to keep it anchored in one place. He guessed that the tower was about seven stories in height, or about 60 meters straight up. The roof was a simple triangle, adorned with another ankh.

Suddenly, his old Justice Society of America friend, Kent Nelson, known as Dr. Fate, materialized beside him. “Kal El! I am so glad to see you!” Dr. Fate said in his mysterious deep voice. Nelson was in full Dr. Fate mode, with the gold helmet of Naboo hiding his head and face. His long golden cape flowed behind him. The rest of his outfit consisted of a very simple white tunic, and golden boots.

“Dr. Fate!” Superman exclaimed. “We’d thought you were dead.” Dr. Fate laughed heartily. “No, my friend, that is not possible. I am immortal, and I exist in several different realities at the same time.” Nelson slapped Clark on the back. “However, I am here to talk about you.”

“You’ve noticed that I’d been slipstreaming in and out of different timelines, each one more unique and confusing than the previous one.” Superman confessed. “Yes I have, Kal El. I know why you are doing so.” Dr. Fate confirmed. “At first, I was afraid that you would cause incalculable destruction by literally tempting fate and bending it to your will. Now, I see that it is a big part of your destiny.”

“Centuries ago Jor El charged you with the safety and protection of Earth.” Nelson added. “I was curious as to how you would resolve all the conflicts. You were actually playing with fate from the moment you first realized your great power. Every life you saved altered the future.”

Superman knew that this was coming. After all, as he understood it, Dr. Fate was literally in charge of keeping destinies in line, as well as separating one realm, dimension, or time line from the others. “You believe that I should never have saved anyone on Earth.” Clark guessed with disdain.

“At first, yes.” Dr. Fate responded. “As time went on in your reality, I came to realize that I had underestimated your importance. In fact I had underestimated Earth’s importance in general. As I gaze out into the universe, and galaxy after galaxy spins by, I realized something.”

“What’s that?” Clark questioned. “I became aware of Earth’s importance. It is the key to the rest of the universe. There are many societies in many galaxies, some more advanced than humans, others less so. The key is that humans must continue to exist. As you have no doubt come to realize, time and space are relevant to where you are in the universe.” Dr. Fate explained.

Superman patiently listened to Dr. Fate’s discussion, but he wondered how it was relevant to his mission, and why Dr. Fate had chosen to pull him out of the time vortex. “In short, Kal El, your mission must succeed. You alone can defeat the abomination called Darkseid.” Nelson stated with concern.

“That’s just it, Dr. Fate, I failed.” Superman admitted as he hung his head. “You failed in your first attempt to save Earth, yes. However, the plan you and Kara aim to achieve can work, in fact it must work in order for the universe to continue on its normal evolution.”

“Darkseid interfered with the fate of the universe by destroying Earth and its people.” The mysterious godlike being continued: “It is up to you and Kara and all of us to right this grievous wrong.” Clark nodded, understanding the full weight of what he was being told.

“Your Eye of Rao is a very good device to slipstream through time, yet it is out of balance.” Dr. Fate analyzed. “You must attain the second Eye of Rao to achieve this balance. All things must have balance, for light, there is dark, for silence to exist, there must be noise, and so on.”

“Kara has already started her search for the second Eye of Rao.” Dr. Fate indicated. “You can certainly assist her, but it is part of your shared destiny. Kara must complete her half of the mission for it to be a complete success.” He added. “Meanwhile, I can help you stabilize the time vortex.”

“Any help would be appreciated, Dr. Fate.” Clark said humbly. “I will send her back about 100 years.” The mysterious time lord explained. He grabbed a meter long rod with a golden ancient Egyptian ankh as its headpiece. “This is the Ankh of Destiny. I alone can control it.” Dr. Fate continued. The glowing eyelets in the helmet of Naboo flashed a bright red, before returning to a yellow gold color.

“It is done.” Dr. Fate announced. “Kara will be confused and disoriented at first, but she will recover quickly. Only she, as the Last Daughter of Krypton, can locate the second Eye of Rao. It is keyed to Kryptonian DNA, as is your Eye of Rao amulet. The ancient ones saw to it that no one else may use them.” Clark thanked Dr. Fate for his help.

“You can see everything, both past and future from here, Dr. Fate?” Superman inquired. “Truly, Kal El. The past is always around for everyone to see. My people settled on Earth nearly 10,000 of your years ago. We were a race of explorers. Our technology had advanced to the point where we could roam the galaxies at will. Some of us used this power to learn, others used it for conquest and personal gain.”

“The narrative is common within the universe, as it was within Earth’s past and present as well.” Dr. Fate continued. “When we arrived, humans were little more than savages. Their interests were limited to basic survival instincts: Eat, kill, reproduce, eat, and kill again. Yet we saw their great potential. As I stated earlier, it is only recently that I have discovered the human’s integral part in the future universe.”

Clark was fascinated with the discussion, but something nagged at him to get moving. “As for the future…” Superman began before Dr. Fate cut him off. “The future is always in motion, Kal El. You and Kara must now concentrate on ensuring that future, however it may play out. The certainty is that Darkseid must not win. He would instantly throw the universe into chaos.”

“May I hold the Eye of Rao?” Dr. Fate asked, surprising Clark. “Sure. But be careful with it. It may be keyed to Kryptonian DNA, but I wouldn’t rule out any type of interference. One shard had cracked, and it splintered into several different timelines.” Superman warned as he handed the amulet to him.

“You are wise to be cautious, Kal El.” Nelson said as the Eye of Rao floated towards him. He held it in one bare hand, after removing his golden gauntlet. “Yes. I feel the power within it. I also sense the item’s instability.” Dr. Fate squeezed the Eye and held it tightly for a few seconds.

Dr. Fate opened his palm, and the Eye floated back to Clark, who snagged it in midair and pocketed it. “Now the Eye will be more stable.” Nelson explained. “The splinter has now been repaired.” Clark took it back out and examined it. Sure enough, the Eye of Rao amulet was repaired.

“You must go, Kal El.” Nelson directed. “Ironically, time grows short, relatively speaking. Darkseid can sense that something is going on. I feel his horrible mind reaching out. The Darkseid entity is a cold, dark abyss in an otherwise brilliant universe full of life.” Clark nodded. “Thank you, Dr. Fate.” He said.

The now familiar spinning time vortex appeared before Superman and he floated towards it. “Here we go again.” He remarked after waving goodbye to Dr. Fate.

Comment

Hi Gardy,
            I visited your site, could you recommended me some of your fic regarding Clois if you write about them, that´s it

Comment

Hi Eleidich,
              Have you seen my fanfics under Clois here on Kryptonsite? "Edge of Darkness", "Metropolis 2012", "All's Fair in Love..." or "MHX Kids?"
              Check them out if you'd like. Metropolis 2012 is my most popular fic ever.
              Thanks for reading.

Gardy1

Comment

Originally posted by gardy1
                Hi Eleidich,
                Have you seen my fanfics under Clois here on Kryptonsite? "Edge of Darkness", "Metropolis 2012", "All's Fair in Love..." or "MHX Kids?"
                Check them out if you'd like. Metropolis 2012 is my most popular fic ever.
                Thanks for reading.

Gardy1
                Hi, Gardy
                I haven´t read them, Í will, tks

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡