How long was John Winchester in Hell and did he break?

If Dean was dead for 4 months and was in hell 40 years, how long was his father in hell? And do you think Papa Winchester broke? I'm rewatching Season 2.

Banned
    John was stuck in Hell during all of season two, so that is about...twelve months, more or less...so, the closest to it would be 120 years. If four months is forty years, eight months would be eighty years, and twelve months would be a hundred and twenty years.

And if Dean broke after thirty years, you would think John did sometime as well.

1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    I mentioned this on the Heaven and Hell thread (I think. Might have been a different one--AHBL part 2, maybe?). Anyway, when we see Papa Winchester released from the Devil's Gate he seems...well, normal. Not a demon. SO I wondered why he hadn't turned, as Dean was starting to.

As was mentioned John was in Hell for a lot longer than Dean was.

The only theory i can come up with is that the YED put Papa Winchester in a private circle of Hell, away from other demons and just...kept him there. Didn't do the things to John that other demons do to humans in Hell that turn them.

Cause otherwise, Kripke's mythology kinda falls down on itself, you know?

(unless he's saying that John is WAY stronger than Dean is!)

Quote Originally Posted by Welling_is_pretty View Post
    I mentioned this on the Heaven and Hell thread (I think. Might have been a different one--AHBL part 2, maybe?). Anyway, when we see Papa Winchester released from the Devil's Gate he seems...well, normal. Not a demon. SO I wondered why he hadn't turned, as Dean was starting to.

As was mentioned John was in Hell for a lot longer than Dean was.

The only theory i can come up with is that the YED put Papa Winchester in a private circle of Hell, away from other demons and just...kept him there. Didn't do the things to John that other demons do to humans in Hell that turn them.

Cause otherwise, Kripke's mythology kinda falls down on itself, you know?

(unless he's saying that John is WAY stronger than Dean is!)
    I don't think that Papa Winchester was kept in a private place in hell. I think he was tortured like Dean. If you remember the Crosswood Demon, eluded to that fact that he was being tortured.

When the Devil's gate opened, all the demons poured out in black smoke and found people to possess. Papa Winchester was able to appear as himself. Although when he disappeared, I thought I saw black smoke.

I think that Papa Winchester is stronger than Dean or Sam, but 120 years worth??

Banned
    After John helps Dean with Azazel, there is a bright light which shows that John might have gone to Heaven.

Banned
    John was definately a littel bit demon-y-fied, other wise he would have never been able to takle Azazel out of his body like he did.

I guess now we know. He didn't break after 100 years. If he hadn't escape would he still be able to hold out.

he may off been able to hold out but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by DruVamp View Post
    I guess now we know. He didn't break after 100 years. If he hadn't escape would he still be able to hold out.
    Well we know now because Alistar told Dean that Papa didn't break but Dean did.....

poor Dean.

I wonder what happened to John then. Did he get to go to heaven or did they get tired of John once Dean came into the picture? They never really explained what happened to John after he didn't break.