Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who "The Next Doctor" Christmas Special 12/25/2008

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was decent. I loved David Tennant though. Good to see him back. Probably my least favorite Christmas Special. There seemed to be something missing.

Comment

I'm suprised at some of the comments, because I really liked it. I thought it was the best of the Christmas Specials, not that any of them have been that bad. Morrissey's performance was fine for me, as were the special effects. But hey, to each his own, right?

Just a quick thought, why would the Doctor (Tennant) hug the man who he thought was his future self (Morrissey), isn't that a paradox?

Special mention goes to the 'They break my heart' line which could have been really cheesy, but was read perfectly by David.

Confidential was a bit boring afterwards, but it was good to see RTD's passion come out when he spoke about The Tenth Planet.

P.S. Apologies again for my (unbeknownst to me) rule-breaking comment earlier.
      Last edited by quinny06; 12-27-2008, 08:44 AM.

Comment

i really liked how he admits it breaks his heart when a companion leaves his life....
        it was better after a day of thought....

Comment

I was really disappointed by "The Next Doctor". It just didn't feel epic to me, possibly because the Jackson storyline was a cop-out (in my opinion, anyway). The giant Cyberking was a tad cheesy and heavy-handed for my tastes, although Miss Hartigan was fantastically played by Dervla Kerwin.

If this had been a normal episode, I think I would have been satisfied. But when we're only getting four specials until 2010, and David Tennant's remaining time is limited, I expect something...well, special.

Comment

No one's mentioning the most awesome moment of all?

The first time ever in the new series that you saw clips from the old? Specifically, clips of ALL ten doctors, including the 8th? Absolutely BRILLIANT, that moment!

I loved the CyberKing, by the way. Perhaps i shouldn't have, but i've always loved a bit of steam punk meself, and it was just so great to see all it's gears working, and that it wasn't just a giant cyberman, there was plenty of originality in the design there!

Not my favourite xmas special, i think that would still be the Christmas Invasion, but it was great fun this year. Although i do agree with TMLS in that the One Doctor IS better, and i was kinda hoping for that conman angle with Morrisey's Doctor. 4/5 from me.

Comment

Originally posted by ThetaSigma

The first time ever in the new series that you saw clips from the old? Specifically, clips of ALL ten doctors, including the 8th? Absolutely BRILLIANT, that moment!
              I did love that part! It was great to see all the doctors.

Comment

I enjoyed it, I need to see it again though as too much was going on around the house at the time.

I did love the Cyber-King, it reminded me somewhat of the spider machine in the Will Smith version of "Wild Wile West".

Comment

Call me crazy, but my favourite moment in the episode was at the end, where the doctor invited jackson to look inside the tardis. It reminded me of the older stories with jamie and victoria. I love seeing people from the past encountering things from the future, and trying to make sense of them. Plus jackson was such an endeering character. I would have been ok with him becoming a new companion.

The cyberking was ok, but a little over the top for me.

Comment

It was written by Russel T Davis, i wasn't surprised it was an all round "meh".

The effects were very good though.

Comment

'Tis was alright. Like James said, not my favorite but it fairs well on it's own. 3/5 from me.

Comment

4/5 A giant robot threatening to stomp Dickensian London at Christmas: Gold!

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Investigations
                          I was really disappointed by "The Next Doctor". It just didn't feel epic to me, possibly because the Jackson storyline was a cop-out (in my opinion, anyway).
                          Yeah me to. I think that was the biggest and still is even after these years, of Jackson was just a cop out instead of being the new Doctor. That really makes me knock points from this episode and same for the episode of where RTD did that dumb cliff hanger of The Doctor getting shot be a Dalek and fake regenerated in a way of no new Doctor.

Really the only part I liked out of this entire episode can be found below

Originally posted by ThetaSigma

It's this moment right here where we finally get to see all 10 of The Doctors from the old series and actually says yes it is still the same series.

I think RTD despite all his "Oh it's the same series" really didn't well I mean, it was long past time we saw the pervious regenerations.

Because then we still have the "That really isn't The Doctor but rather another Time Lord who took his name after ending the Time War" theory which well I've heard worse. Plus given how it took this long to see the pervious Doctors well I can't blame the people who do actually believed it.

Now it's just a good AU theory.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎