Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't Reaper more of a hit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if it's a matter of not caring of any part but the studio and/or network... the creative people behind Reaper really seem to care about it, which is a shame that that process isn't expanded on.

Perhaps it's because there was the strike that derailed things last year. Still, I don't think they realize the hit they could have on their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by number8
      I think people generally see Reaper as a cheap knock-off of Supernatural. Easy as that IMO.

True, the show has certain similar elements, but I don't think enough people give Reaper a chance. They have their own differences, which make them both excellent shows. It's a shame really, how not enough people watch Reaper.
      I don't really see how it's a knock off of Supernatural. Just because of the hunting aspect? I mean you could say it's a knock off of X-Files or Buffy. But the first time I saw a promo of Reaper, it did remind me a bit of Dead Like Me.

Comment

You know, another thing I REALLY wish Reaper had... is real opening credits. Theme music, awesome clips montage, everything. It'd make it a bit more memorable to the audience, I'd think.

I know SPN doesn't do the credits thing but that's exactly the kind of thing Reaper could do to separate it.

Comment

To be honest when I saw the fall preview for Reaper Season One.It caught my interest because it gave me the impression it would be a serious show.This show just doesn't capture what Buffy & Angel had,they could pull off all the angles. The drama,romance,comedy,action,and horror. But that was about ten years ago so the originality is gone now. These days instead of writers thinking up new and fresh ideas,they look to what's been done before. Why do you think so many remakes have been done in the last 5 years,because hollywood has run out of ideas. So they figure the new generation doesn't know about the classics.So they take them for idiots forgetting they risk pissing off the original fans if not done right.
          Last edited by Clois4eva89; 01-03-2009, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabularasa
            I don't really see how it's a knock off of Supernatural. Just because of the hunting aspect? I mean you could say it's a knock off of X-Files or Buffy. But the first time I saw a promo of Reaper, it did remind me a bit of Dead Like Me.
            I don't think Ryan was saying it's actually a knockoff, he's saying that's how people might see it or simply dismiss it as without giving it a chance. There are definite similarities that go beyond simply passing, similarities that I would assume are there on purpose, given that they are on the same network (and at the same time). Reaper seems to be intended as more of a parody of the genre, a "self mockery" if you will. I made a thread about the similarities a few pages back... Besides the hunting aspect:

- lead characters named Sam (if this isn't a dead giveaway I don't know what is, lol)

- both possess (or have used) supernatural abilities

- both have demons/devils who seem to have taken an interest in them (as both Sams are special or different in some way)

- both have (or had) fathers who made deals with the devil, lol

- both have a funny/wisecracking "sidekick" (Sock/Dean)
            Last edited by Xanderman; 01-03-2009, 01:33 PM.

Comment

I really like Reaper as well. It was one of those shows that really grew on me overtime. The first few episodes didn't really blow me away. However, I wanted to stick with it, in case it got better, and I found myself coming to like it more and more everyweek. One thing I always found interesting and I hope they build on it more, is the involvement of Sam's parents. The season finale really cast a shadow in their direction.

I am just glad that Reaper got a S2. Even though I hate the CW, you do have to give them credit for renewing shows that don't have very high ratings. I mean, on any other network, shows like Supernatural would have been taken off years ago. Up until this season, Supernatural never got over 3 1/2 million viewers. Yet, it is going into its fourth season. Reaper, which had very low ratings, actually got a second season.

Comment

I never watched Reaper until they showed it after SV during the WGA strike. Then I followed it back to its "home" on Tuesday nights. It's funny and creepy at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by vyperman7

I am just glad that Reaper got a S2. Even though I hate the CW, you do have to give them credit for renewing shows that don't have very high ratings,
                  I will never give them credit. They axed Veronica Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit Detective
                    I am a huge fan of VM's first two seasons. Absolutely loved that show during that time period. The first two seasons of VM is some of the best TV I have ever watched. However, I am not a fan of S3 at all. It had a few good eps, but overall it wasn't that great and did not have the same feel that the first two seasons did. So if the show had continued in that trend, I am not sorry that it got axed. I would rather have great memories for a few seasons, then to see the show decline and get worse and worse. Plus, it is kind of hard to blame the CW for axing the show, because of the fact that S3 averaged out to only 2 1/2 million viewers per episode. The show just wasn't performing. I do have to admit that I am interested how they would have handled Veronica in the FBI though.

Like I said though, even though I hate the CW, I do think it is cool they keep renewing shows I like despite low ratings. Both Supernatural and Reaper, got another season, and they both had very low ratings.

Comment

^I'm about 3/4's the way thru season 2 of VM and for the most part I think it's awful, lol. (Am I watching the same show?) Season 1 wasn't bad, mainly because it had a good/interesting main story arc. But Season 2's "bus crash/disaster" mystery was horrendously bad. Very over-rated show if you ask me. I regret buying all 3 seasons at once before viewing the first season, and especially the 2nd...(well I got a deal, so whaddya gonna do). The writing/dialogue style in the series is an obvious attempt to copy Buffy's style. While I can tolerate that kind of incessantly witty/cheeky/cutesy banter (from basically EVERY character) in a sci-fi/fantasy show like Buffy, in a "real world" setting I find it quite annoying and absurd (and LAME...so very very lame). (Chloe is the VM of Smallville, and these characteristics in her have annoyed me to no end there as well. heh)

Anyway, I'm forcing myself to gradually make it thru the second season, I've been on it for like half a year, lol it's almost a punishing experience (a form of torture). So yeah, my overall verdict for Veronica Mars is: "painful to watch." If only they cancelled it sooner, perhaps I would have been spared a few bucks.

Thankfully Reaper is nothing like VM. At all. lol
                      Last edited by Xanderman; 01-07-2009, 11:12 AM.

Comment

I still make the argument that VM barely made 2 million viewers near the end there and it had many, many chances to do well... yet still didn't. I understand the CW canceling that one.

But Reaper, so far, has only had two chances - Tuesdays with crap lead-ins, and Thursdays which infuriated Supernatural fans because their show wasn't on during those months. And yet... it still didn't drop to Veronica levels. I really hope it does well when it comes back.

Comment

Reaper was unfairly matched up against House M.D. on Tuesday nights. However, with House M.D. moving to Mondays, Reaper might have a chance. Unfortunately, the lead ins will still be pretty crappy.

Reaper should never be on Thursday nights. I remember that fall of 2007 when the CW decided to show an encore of the Reaper pilot rather than the season 3 premiere of Supernatural. Definately infuriated!

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit Detective
                            Agreed. I actually thought Season three was one of the best seasons.

Originally posted by vyperman7
                            Plus, it is kind of hard to blame the CW for axing the show, because of the fact that S3 averaged out to only 2 1/2 million viewers per episode. The show just wasn't performing.
                            But yet the CW keeps keeping shows like Gossip Girl, 90210, and Previlged which gets no more then 2 million a week in the ratings?

Comment

Well ain't that nice the CW is finally going to show Reaper again. Though got to wait a few months. With the cliff hanger it had I can't believe they've waited so long. But then got to have repeats of 90210 crap the day after a new episode. Wacky.

Yes I'm female but I don't think I posted in the Reaper threads. I actually LOVE Sock! Andi being "prefect" was driving me a bit nuts so the less air time she had the better.

I like little weird shows with a weird sense of humour. Got to recently catch all the Dead Like Me episodes and wished that had gone on longer.

The ratings though are different now than when Veronica Mars was on. Ratings are down for all networks so it's no wonder how small the CW gets in ratings. Though I've been impressed with SV's ratings considering it's an older show in it's 8th season.

Comment

I always wondered why Reaper isn't a hit. I mean the show is very funny and the cast is great! Plus the storys in most episodes are cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎