Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't Reaper more of a hit?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there is something that seems overlooked in this thread.

The slacker comedy just doesn't appeal to everyone. Take my dear old mom for example. She loves Supernatural, and never misses an episode, but didn't watch more than two or three episodes of Reaper. At least, that's what she told me.

ps: She doesn't like/watch Smallville either. Too much juvenile drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
      - both have a funny/wisecracking "sidekick" (Sock/Dean)
      Did you just relegate Dean to the position of "sidekick"???

While I agree there are some similarities, there are certain inimitable things - metallicar for Supernatural, and the awesome Ray Wise for Reaper.

I'm a 19-year-old female and I adore Reaper. I know so many other gals who love Reaper, so I don't know where everyone gets this idea that it's for guys only. Then again, I'm not part of the ratings, so that could be a problem.

I think I like Reaper so much because it is a lighter side of the supernatural. Nice to be able to enjoy a show like that.

Comment

It's far too irreverent. Ah well. I'm happy with it being a cult success.

Comment

The first half of the season was repetitive soul of the week stuff, with no over-arching plot. The second half got better, but I'm sure the first half turned many people away.

Comment

I think it is sorta a guy show. I try to watch, but lose interest.
            I don't think it's very humorous, they always capture the souls,
            I'm not invested in Sam and Andi's ship.
            Oh and there is that whole Devil thing.

Comment

I think the show is fun and cool, maybe its a little too farfetched for some people.

Comment

Some of you seem to be confusing viewer ratings, and people's like of the show. The actual user and critic ratings of the show are always very good. It averages around 2 million viewers which is about right on with other sci-fi shows like Stargate and others on the Sci-Fi channel. It's just a quirky show. Quirky shows don't get in the double digits on the million viewer scale.

And Chuck doesn't count. That's NBC. Comparing shows on ABC/CBS/NBC, is just silly.

Reaper is one of the best shows on television. Period. The writing is amazing, as well as the acting. I see this show going 3-5 seasons. That may not seem like a lot, but it is definitely good for this type of show.

And to the guy who said he thought from the season 1 promo that it was going to be serious like Buffy or Angel? What the ****? What promo did you watch? And Joss Whedon's babies are dead. Move on. They got old.

Comment

I like this show.
                  I always DVR it and watch it later in the evening.
                  The writing is good and I like how they are making some of the souls Sam goes after not so bad and have redeeming qualities.

Comment

Moved here to be in the relevant thread:

I think the network is just prone to second guessing which show to push because of how the previous network crashed and they're probably going to go under too eventually, so at first they knew that Reaper was excellent and they promoted it accordingly, but then when it didn't produce ratings like a great show should, they decided they were going to push posher shows thinking cool people would be the demographic that saved them. But the problem is, their sci-fi division is what really excels with Supernatch and Reaper, and the 90210 and Gossip Girl shows are less watchable in reality--I mean Reaper is the one show with a chance of going huge with 3 generations in one house being able to watch the same program and enjoy it. Gossip Girl doesn't have that potential. But I think someone who was high on Reaper at the beginning probably has been fired, or whatever, and the rest of the network people are still pulling things in the new direction of cool posh shows for teens and almost nobody else. They're thinking they can't change direction again because that would be too many times and they'd sink. But the way I see it, go ahead and push Reaper as your showcase show. And if people never tune in to it and the network fails, then it was America's fault for not choosing a great program. Whereas if they keep pushing Gossip and the network fails, I think then it's more their fault for not knowing what they had.

Comment

I hope this becomes more of a hit later, if there is a Season Three.

Comment

i really dont know. I LOVE it!! everthing about it is good! People need to start watching so it can make a 3rd season!

Comment

I think it's crap that shows like Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, 90210, Privileged and The Game get to survive, and Reaper is on the chopping block. It's not like the rating for those other shows are doing that much better.

Also: I vote for a Reaper/Supernatural crossover!
                          Last edited by Kneel before Zod; 05-14-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

OTH is a good show...people compare it to GG and 90210, but it's actually a brilliant show with incredible writing.

Comment

Originally posted by KryptonSite
                              I know The CW yanking it off the schedule for a while didn't help matters either... but I did want to put this question out there: The show has a great premise, a good cast of pretty people, and good writing... so why isn't it a hit as big as Smallville or Supernatural?

I'm curious what you all think. Plus, it'll give us something to post about in here. I'll add my two cents after a few posts get rolling...
                              Ive seen reaper a handful of times so maybe im wrong here but with smallville and supernatural they have a bigger story. From the eps i saw of reaper its about his friends who remind me so some stoners to be honest which isnt a bad thing who round up some demons that escaped from hell. Kinda reminds me of the old brimstone show but with a comedy twist

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎