No announcement yet.

Nathan's change of heart

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hopefulsuicide

i just don't buy it, nathan's always been confused but not to the point of killing people

he never said he wanted to killed them, he said they needed to be put away ( well i think )

Comment

nathan as a villain is ridiculous... especially one with a hitler like attitude towards a minority...

i just don't buy it, nathan's always been confused but not to the point of killing people
      I don't think he's interested in killing. It looks like he wants to send the superpowered people to some sort of internment camp, where they presumably would be given a daily supply of the pills Elle gave Peter last season to stop him from using his powers.

Again, I think Nathan's story has been progressing well, and I've always found his character fascinating.

Nathan's a pragmatist: he doesn't want people to get hurt...and in his mind the most effective way to accomplish that is by isolating the empowered people from normal people, for the protection of the normal people.

Comment

oops sorry, not seen the eppie yet, must have got wrong impression

from what you said, it sounds like nathan is just planning to do what 'the company' was already doing... ohhh exciting new idea there

anyway i'll come back when i've seen it, i shudnt be spoiling myself anyway

Comment

Well, think of Nathan's political outlook.

Nathan is a politician first & formost, which means a large ego.

Newly powered person : "Hi, what power do you have?", I can lift a skyscraper and toss it across a river."

Nathan : "I can fly".

Newly powered person : "And?"

Nathan : "That's it, I can fly".

Newly powered person : "Oh.... well, good luck with that then".

Nathan : "OK, round 'em up!"

Comment

i think he's just upset that eveyone else has cooler powers then him. nathan is like aquaman. he can talk to fish, wow. but nathan can only fly.

i think in the end the real hero will end up being sylar. a total twist and maybe nathan will end up being the real villian of the story.

Comment

It's not a change of heart or poor writing.

He wanted to control abilities and give them only to the people he deemed deserved them to keep the people who DID have abilities in check.

Well that option was taken away from him. His goal wasn't to 'give people abilities' it was to keep those who naturally have abilities in check. If you can't make a super squad of marines what is the next logical step?

Internment camps.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

nathan as a villain is ridiculous... especially one with a hitler like attitude towards a minority...

Ridiculous?

He agreed to blow up New York.

Ridiculous? Someone has rose colored glasses. Even Hiro called him a viwwin in season 1 when he told Hiro there was nothing he could do to stop it.

The only thing keeping that power hungry monster from going nuclear is Peter constantly bringing him down from his pedestel. Well Peter disrupted his plans for world domination one too many times and now Peter is on his hit list.
              Last edited by Yoshua; 12-16-2008, 08:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

He just want revenge and control like he allways want it

Comment

i thought the change of heart came kind of sudden. He was all "I am a good guy" then went to Haiti, faced a baddy, and decided he needed to give everyone powers. He's a politician. This would be the equivalent of a senator being shot by a gun and then deciding "let's give everyone guns to solve this crisis" right away. One thing is if they give it time to develop but everything kinda happened in a day's time, lol.

I personally like Nathan turning bad. I prefer this to having a new person come into the works to have to be explained. There isn't enough time left in this season to be introducing random people. Nathan was bad in season 1. He was after power and fortune. He got turned onto these things again. I can understand him being a villain. I don't mind it. With Peter having his powers back it makes it a personal struggle for him to take down his own brother and this in turn keeps his power in check. I'm excited to see what will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by blink2matrix
                    i thought the change of heart came kind of sudden. He was all "I am a good guy" then went to Haiti, faced a baddy, and decided he needed to give everyone powers. He's a politician. This would be the equivalent of a senator being shot by a gun and then deciding "let's give everyone guns to solve this crisis" right away. One thing is if they give it time to develop but everything kinda happened in a day's time, lol.

I personally like Nathan turning bad. I prefer this to having a new person come into the works to have to be explained. There isn't enough time left in this season to be introducing random people. Nathan was bad in season 1. He was after power and fortune. He got turned onto these things again. I can understand him being a villain. I don't mind it. With Peter having his powers back it makes it a personal struggle for him to take down his own brother and this in turn keeps his power in check. I'm excited to see what will happen.

Not once did he ever say he wanted to give everyone powers. He said he wanted to give the 'right people' powers.... He wants to give them powers to control the bad people with powers. He can't give people powers anymore? Well how else do you control the bad people? Lock them up.

Giving people powers was a means to an end. All he wants to do is keep people safe from bad people with powers. He didnt care about giving people powers, he cares about taking the criminals out.

Comment

I dont think so what is bad on Parkman that he is on the list because he was a cop and want to help people so I think its just revenge and control

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshua
                        Not once did he ever say he wanted to give everyone powers. He said he wanted to give the 'right people' powers.... He wants to give them powers to control the bad people with powers. He can't give people powers anymore? Well how else do you control the bad people? Lock them up.

Giving people powers was a means to an end. All he wants to do is keep people safe from bad people with powers. He didnt care about giving people powers, he cares about taking the criminals out.
                        When Nathan had a change of heart he told Peter he agreed with the ideals of the people at Pinehearst. The first episode of this season showed us what the end result of that was (everyone having powers). Last week we only saw that Pineheart was *starting* by giving powers to the 'right people.' Now, I don't know to what point the future was already changed but progressively I assumed that it hadn't and the end result would have been everyone with powers. This of course is an assumption as Nathan didn't say he wanted to give powers to everyone so i do apologize for just running with that. I just hadn't seen the future as changed yet until the catalyst and formula had been destroyed.

and that's one thing i do like about nathan as the villain. He does everything with good motives but just has the wrong means of going about accomplishing things. It makes it harder to completely hate him and makes it so that he can still be redeemed potentially.

Comment

Nathan's turning is not a surprise, however Nathan has always been confused and torn between family and the role of senator and his exercise of power and control- and a higher duty. His ideals are always changing as expected as a politician so this becomes acceptable for his character I suppose.

What makes it so hard to believe is his quick transition of his ideals. It wasn't too long ago that he was going to reveal his secret to the world and of others. I also am in awe as his perception of ethical means is a bit skewed at times. For example, he implied that it was unethical to be an experiment when it was revealed that Angela gave him his powers. Yet he finds it right to lock up people... and even his own brother.

His basis for turning wasn't strong enough IMO or maybe not written strongly enough. To explain his change I reason presumed psychological aspects behind Nathan's past:

His turning point was his experience in Haiti when witnessing people like Baron who use power to harm people. It is reasonable to say that a person of his stature and with power, would logically exercise some control to prevent people like Baron from harming others. Like his mother his ways are aggressive and unwarranting, but in his position he is obligated to a higher duty to the people as a whole. To abandon his Peter, could be simply the outcome of his own regression as his father betrayed him by attempting to kill him long ago. His own mother and father's betrayal could have fractured his trust in family, coupling with his obligatory duties to maintain the safety of the society gives rise to the Nathan now. He never truly embraced his ability to fly and that he was different. Nathan was always disconnected. But what he's doing doesn't necessarily make him a villain, it just makes him a neutral power that provides realism to a world of superpowers.
                          Last edited by j-kent; 12-21-2008, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Nathan has taken his fathers place ... last i checked they wanted to wipe out everything and start over .... Not just controlling people with abilities .. and if it was the case of him wanting to control the" bad " people with powers as someone has mentioned parkman ????? and we all saw Micah on that list to gonna lock up the lil boy too.. no he's going to start using them to his purpose. just my 2 cents .

Comment

Originally posted by Curium
                              Nathan has taken his fathers place ... last i checked they wanted to wipe out everything and start over .... Not just controlling people with abilities .. and if it was the case of him wanting to control the" bad " people with powers as someone has mentioned parkman ????? and we all saw Micah on that list to gonna lock up the lil boy too.. no he's going to start using them to his purpose. just my 2 cents .
                              I don't know why you think they wanted to wipe everything out. That was Adam. Arthur just wants the power, (and maybe the money, but I doubt it) from giving people powers. He'd have Nathan as President, and assuming Nathan listened to him, he'd be able to influence the decisions he makes. Complete and total power over the US/World eventually.

I think to a certain point he wants revenge, and just wants to lock up EVERYONE, good or bad. Parkman is clearly a good guy, Nathan knows that, but he doesn't care. He has a power. He'll come to regret that decision when people find out he has a power. He can't use the "Oh come on, I can only fly" excuse because he's against anyone with a power.

Although, it does make sense to lock up people like Parkman, and Micah. One can control people's minds, one can control technology. Controlling the President, or controlling nukes could be pretty dangerous. Even if they're not bad people, the possibility is there.

To me, Nathan is scared. He wants power, to a certain point, but he also DOES care about keeping people safe. He's always believed the ends justify the means (Season One, getting a safer planet from a huge disaster) and this is no different. He's making a safer planet by locking up people with powers.

He was originally going to control the people with powers, with his own army of specials, but as we know that plan went South. The next best thing is locking them up.

EDIT: We don't know what happened in the 3 weeks, so we don't really know why he's talking to the President. For all we know, he's going to use people like Parkman for his own personal "do-good squad" to help him out. Like in the S1 future, Parkman was working with Nathan/Sylar to bring in the ones that were dangerous. It's probably going to play out a lot like that. Using the good specials to help hunt down the bad specials.
                              Last edited by JW_102792; 12-21-2008, 08:52 AM.

Comment

While I'm not denying Nathan's change of heart, it seems like the show has sorta come full circle already. Season one we had Sylar vs. "The Heroes". Underneath the good vs. evil scheme we had Primatech Paper, responsible for nothing other than "bagging and tagging" people with abilities. Level 5 was built as a holding facility for those deemed too dangerous to be out and about. I think the key difference with Nathan here is that he's taking it public.

If the writer's wanted to really continue in this direction...all they had to do was write Angela and Noah back into their prime roles. The sorta started to do this with "One of Us, One of Them". At that time we had a clear description of who was "good" and who was "bad". But this show is really starting to lose me. They have wrote characters flip-flopping back-and-forth so many times that it's annoying. Noah plays a great DUAL-sided character. Sylar plays a great DUAL-sided character. Nathan does not. It's Elle all over again. So much character potential, broken by a wrong direction. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎