Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of "Abyss"?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While I can see your point about judging episodes based partially on how much of an impact they have on the season and the series as a whole, some of my favorite episodes I've ever seen have been ones that are more "one-shot" episodes. I mean, if you look at episodes like "Labyrinth" and "Apocalypse," in both cases, sure, Clark learned something, but pretty much everything else was just alternate-universe where nothing that happened actually happened, rendering it moot other than an as lessons for our hero. In the case of "Abyss," I loved it first and foremost as a Chloe episode, yes, but I also think it was heavily based on her relationship with the three male characters who were involved, the most important of which was Clark, seeing how protective he was of her, and how much of a risk he was willing to take to try and make her happy. I also loved all the ties to continuity and the memory sequences they went through. Yes, they ended up going back and undoing pretty much all the "major" things that occurred here, but that happens at least 4-5 times a season. I still found it to be a highly satisfying and fun episode that I'm sure I'll be rewatching several times when I buy the DVD set this fall.

--SGuthrie ><>' --

Comment

• Originally posted by Supsfan
      I gave it a 3 out of 10

Unless somebody is a Chloe fan, the episode was rather pointless. Clark takes Brainiac out of Chloe, she gets reinfected 1 episode later. Clark gives Chloe a mindwipe(which I thought was stupid in the first place), Chloe gains her memories back 2 episodes later.

What exactly was the point of those 2 events anyways? I guess you could make the arguement well the FOS got built back up, but they could have found many other ways to figure a way to rebuild the fortress that would waste 40 minutes on Chloe

I always said I would judge Abyss depending on how much impact it had on the rest of the season, and after watching all 22 episodes, the answer is minimal, hence my vote of 3(and 2 of that for the Clark-Jor-EL scene)
      The problem is that they abandoned all their plans the moment S9 was greenlit. It's the same thing that happens every year from S5 on. They start the season in one direction and suddenly go in a completely direction the moment the next season is confirmed. Otherwise I'm sure this episode would have had much more of an impact on the season. Not that I liked Clark wiping out someone's memories.

Comment

• Originally posted by SGuthrie27
        While I can see your point about judging episodes based partially on how much of an impact they have on the season and the series as a whole, some of my favorite episodes I've ever seen have been ones that are more "one-shot" episodes. I mean, if you look at episodes like "Labyrinth" and "Apocalypse," in both cases, sure, Clark learned something, but pretty much everything else was just alternate-universe where nothing that happened actually happened, rendering it moot other than an as lessons for our hero. In the case of "Abyss," I loved it first and foremost as a Chloe episode, yes, but I also think it was heavily based on her relationship with the three male characters who were involved, the most important of which was Clark, seeing how protective he was of her, and how much of a risk he was willing to take to try and make her happy. I also loved all the ties to continuity and the memory sequences they went through. Yes, they ended up going back and undoing pretty much all the "major" things that occurred here, but that happens at least 4-5 times a season. I still found it to be a highly satisfying and fun episode that I'm sure I'll be rewatching several times when I buy the DVD set this fall.

--SGuthrie ><>' --
        I have no problem with that, as I said I can understand why somebody who enjoys the Chloe character might have enjoyed the episode, but I am guessing if they did a 40 minute "This is your Life Lois" episode, everybody but Lois fans would not find much entertainment value in it. I think any episode that shifts focus off Clark will get a very split reaction by the general fanbase dependant on character preference.

I personally think the episode was lacking a "B plot"(I would have did the Green Arrow and Lana stuff for instance this episode, giving more time for stuff in Bride) to keep the other viewers entertained.

Originally posted by Exedore
        The problem is that they abandoned all their plans the moment S9 was greenlit. It's the same thing that happens every year from S5 on. They start the season in one direction and suddenly go in a completely direction the moment the next season is confirmed. Otherwise I'm sure this episode would have had much more of an impact on the season. Not that I liked Clark wiping out someone's memories.
        Yeah I am completely baffled what exactly the point of that was. The only thing I could think of is the producers wanted to give Chloe fans an out that she wasn't herself when she said "I do" to Jimmy the next episode. The memory wipe being completely ignored will go down as one of the many things forgotten on the series

Comment

• What I'll remember from this episode : Clark calling Jor-El father for the first time.
          I gave it an 8

Comment

• This episode is awsome.My 2 favorite of the season.Liked the plot,how it was a chloe episode and the ending was awsome

Comment

• I'd rate this episode a solid 8.5
              I liked it, especially the Chloe and Clark childhood scene, very nostalgic!
              But but... Chloe :'(

Very good acting by Allison Mack!
              Clark making a tough decision to relieve his closest ally and best friend of her burdens... It's not what I wanted but it had to be done :/

Plus the Clark + Jor-El scene
              Miiiiiiiiiiint!
              Called father for the first time! Kudos!
              Terence Stamp is simply the PERFECT voice for Jor-El

Can't wait for more!

Comment

• Not a fan of Clark and Jor-El removing Chloe's knowledge of Clark's secret. This isn't something she learned a week ago. She's known it for almost four years and been a big part of her life, since the start of season 5. So, how much of the past 3-4 years of Chloe's life was erased along with the knowledge of Clark's secret?

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎