Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Villians........

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was fine, not great, but not bad IMO. The tie-ins were very good, mostly unnecessary but very neat none the less. I wonder what they plan for Meredith since they spent a good chunk of time with her. Is she to be bad or dead? The ending was good at least as it promised perhaps a bit less time travel for the near future, perhaps.

Comment

I would have given a big 10 to this one but the end ruined completely for me..sorry

Comment

7/10 I enjoyed it, but at the same time I found some of the tie-ins a little convenient and in some cases not perfect fits. But some of the newly revealed backstories were cool surprises and made sense, I guess.

- What's the deal with the episode title? Same name as the volume? Lame? No imagination.
        - So Arthur does indeed have a mind power of his own (we had clues of that before). I'm disappointed though that it's basically the same as Maury's/Matt's, doesn't seem very creative.
        - I still hate the Arthur actor's voice. Way too wimpy sounding, he sounds like a bingo-playing old man, not a "mob boss" like figure.
        - So HRG helped to create the monster Sylar became, eh? What a hypocrite, what a scumbag. Noah sucks.
        - How ironic that Nathan saved his father's life, given that the monster tried to kill him earlier and crippled his wife instead. Why didn't Angela/the Haitian intervene? That seemed so stupid to me. Angela should have stopped Nathan from calling 911 and told him what a monster Arthur was. Or they should have knocked him out, took his memories of seeing the body, and disposed of Arther. Dumb writing?
        - Why exactly is it such a chore for Arthur to kill Nathan? Couldn't he use his mind-control power on Nathan, make him kill himself or something? It's totally stupid that Arthur failed to take him out.
        - Why was Agent Thompson so difficult to stop/deal with? He didn't have any powers. I didn't buy his being able to take on two superfreaks (Meredith and Flint) at all. Dumb.
        - Didn't African Isaac "see" his death coming? I mean he was able to foresee and outsmart even Hiro's time-based attacks afterall. Or maybe he did see it coming, but he accepted it because it would end up serving some sort of grand purpose I suppose, involving Hiro no doubt? Something lame like that? lol

Anyway, enjoyable ep, it just felt a little messy in terms of continuity (both story and character continuity).

Originally posted by KryptonSite
        I didn't really like a lot of the "coincidences" in the episode, and felt like certain things were kind of crammed into the timeline which could have never been there. After watching this, I felt like Arthur's death happened at the same time as the series pilot, even though we saw back then that it didn't.

Also... wasn't Arthur's death thought to be a suicide at one point? How could there be any question? I just left this one really confused.
        Agreed, it's getting to be very silly/overly-convoluted. They're going a bit overboard with all the "past/future/this is what might happen/this is what really happened" stuff this season. Also, how many times did "One year ago" pop up on the screen this ep? Way too many times, it became annoying. Especially given the fact that "one year ago" doesn't seem right itself, first season events are two years ago, aren't they? Unless this series isn't following a "one season = one year" progression? Back to the Arthur stuff not making sense, perhaps the Haitian wiped memories, or memories in Peter/Nathan were changed in some way involving what happened to Arthur? I don't know.

Originally posted by Mr.Magic
        WOW! I thought Smallville had bad continuity in past seasons, but it got nothing against Heroes in season 3. And all that retconning...
        Lol, how true.
        Last edited by Xanderman; 11-11-2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I liked the new title card for this episode. That caught me by surprise.

Some of the continuity is bad in this episode. Like Sylar's storyline. It's not really clear on the length of time between when Sylar killed Trevor to when Sylar killed Chandra.

Comment

I liked the flash back and the Petrelli story line was great. It fit better than any of the others. Most of the story lines were pretty accurate not that i liked them all though. But the story line with sylar and elle was way off.

And I think that this ep kind of ruined some characters. The way elle was raised I don't believe she could have ever been that nice and thompson was supposed to be a die hard company man theres no way he would have let meredith walk away.
            I give this a 6.

Comment

I love love love loved it!!!!! Love what they did with Sylar and Elle.. Love what they did with Meredith.. love what they did with Claire and Merediths brother.. And what happened with Arthur.. love it all!

Comment

IMO, i think that the end scene was Hiro seeing the future, and wasn't present.

And you guys forgot, last season was cut short by the writers strike, and villians is actually a part of season 2, so a lot of this stuff did happen "one year ago". most likely, in a few episodes, we will have what would have been the season finally originally, so i think their gearing towards that.

the episode did have some continuity problems for sure, but still a good episode.

Comment

Originally posted by MrOz87
                  IMO, i think that the end scene was Hiro seeing the future, and wasn't present.
                  Interesting idea, I hadn't considered that. You could be right. That means when Hiro "wakes up" he needs to get his butt outta there, along with his new buddy Usutu and his future traitor-buddy Ando.

Originally posted by MrOz87
                  And you guys forgot, last season was cut short by the writers strike, and villians is actually a part of season 2, so a lot of this stuff did happen "one year ago". most likely, in a few episodes, we will have what would have been the season finally originally, so i think their gearing towards that.
                  Actually no, if you watch the season 2 dvd extras, the next volume was supposed to be quite different. They skipped a whole volume, apparently on the grounds that they thought too much time had passed to connect the volumes in an effective way (or something dumb like that...I mean duh, that's what recaps are for). A lot of what season 2 had been building toward ended up going to waste. This is the lame reason they gave on the dvd, but I think the REAL reason they scrapped that volume was because Season 2 had been getting bashed by a lot of people back then, and had worse ratings, so they decided to change the direction of the show right away instead of continuing with the original plan.

But yes you're right the show apparently isn't following a one season=one year setup, and the cut short season last year probably has something to do with that as you said. Which is not the best way of doing things. For example, on Smallville, when a character says something about "5 years ago", the audience knows it was 5 seasons ago. On Heroes however, we're in season 3 now but "last year" was season 1. As if this series isn't already difficult enough to follow as it is, what with all the time travelling and back-and-forth stuff and history rewriting and whatnot. heh
                  Last edited by Xanderman; 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM.

Comment

"Villains" was weird. I liked it, but not really...it was cool to see all those strange character tie-ins, but the show is reaching an extremely odd realm of randomness. I almost feel jipped out of an episode, but I still liked it.

Comment

I'm glad I waited before posting my opinion. When I first saw it, I was extremely dissapointed. The ending took away a fantastic character, Elle was acting out of character, and HRG's actions didn't make sense.

But then I realised how each of those complaints might not really be there.

Arthur's invaded dreams before. This is far more likely than Usutu dead and Hiro about to be dead.

Elle is a sociopath. But she doesn't like that fact. She hates herself. She wishes that she was a normal person, and so she stumbles across someone that almost became her. Of course she's going to want to stop him from becoming a killer.

HRG, by the pilot, has gone rogue. Through his daughter he's seen that not all the company does is good, and he has to stop them. So why the whole murder someone and turn someone into a serial killer? The guy he fed Sylar wasn't a little old lady for a reason. He found a dangerous guy with an ability that he could do great harm with, but that wasn't inherantly very differant from anything Sylar already had, in order to eliminate the one threat without increasing the threat of the other. And hopefully, in a day or two, the order to bag Sylar would have come down the line. And, one of the boss's daughter just saw him commit this seamingly horrendous act. He looks incredibly loyal.

Loved the Elle/Sylar interaction, loved the addition to Sylar's backstory. It makes his present seem more believable without feeling like a shoe-horned retcon.

Loved Thompson being back, though I was a bit upset that Candice was not there alongside him. Or would that have caused continuity issues?

Meredith being linked to Flint...meh. At the very least Flint became a tad more interesting. And the whole train back to the beginning thing was just odd.

Loved Arthur's storyline. Wished they'd have explained the suicide thing though... maybe Nathan found the poison? Or something?

Nox & Matt being cut out was very upsetting. The whole point was to know the four villains, not all of them except that one guy.

7/10 for me. One of the worse episodes of the season.

Comment

I enjoyed this episode. But not too much. In fact I enjoyed it just a bit. A lot off parts were unnecessary for the main storyline. Sure, it gave some characters more background, more history. But not that the story couldn't go on without it. Like Flint being Meredith's brother and the whole story why she never seemed to be caught by Primatech. So What!

The Petrelli story was nice. But we already knew Arthur was bad. So did most of the characters. It all just felt like a really difficult way to give Arthur a reason for attacking Hiro. Not to mention some plotholes like African Isaac not seeing this coming. But than again; regular Isaac saw his own death coming and still couldn't stop it. Maybe some futures just can not be changed.

And than Gabriel... Why change his story soooooo much. A little redeeming is okay, but this just turns him from Darth Vader back into Anakin Skywalker. And why did we never saw this shooting ability he supposedly took from this guy? I don't know why but, Plotholes with a capital P seem to be part of the storyline these days. They reaaly should stop writing like this. At this point I still enjoy watching Heroes, but if they go on like this I'm afraid that oen day, Heroes will just not matter to me anymore. Like Prison Break when they broke out of the prison. Or like Lost, when they just couldn't get off that damned island. Don't go that way Heroes. Go back to being like Buffy or Stargate. Don't become a great show that just lost it's momentum to soon.
                        Last edited by Cyclops1974; 11-16-2008, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops1974
                          And why did we never saw this shooting ability he supposedly took from this guy?
                          Really that Shooting ability was just another form of TK. It probably just enhanced the TK Sylar already had.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Doctor
                            Really that Shooting ability was just another form of TK. It probably just enhanced the TK Sylar already had.
                            Maybe... still does not explain why Sylar never just his TK like that. Maybe he really is a better man than we think he is and doesn't really just wants to kill, like a gunman. Maybe the killing is only a result of the hunger and not a goal at itself. Or maybe Sylar just like throwing people around more than just shooting them.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎