Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinny06
    Don't know if anyone's been watching Series 4 of SJA, but here's the trailer for next week's episode, featuring not only Matt Smith's Doctor, but the return of Jo Grant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4jQZaN7LVs

Awesome dude, I only really watch SJA when the doctors in it!

Yikes just realised he's wearing the new outfit... it's... ok It's just the plain shirt and stuff makes him seem less wacky
    Last edited by Super001Dude; 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Super001Dude
      Yikes just realised he's wearing the new outfit... it's... ok It's just the plain shirt and stuff makes him seem less wacky
      Matt said in a Doctor Who magazine interview that they use different cameras on SJA, and his other shirt flared on those cameras, or something. However, from Series 6 set pictures and the brief preview we've had of the Christmas special, it looks like that shirt is here to stay, sadly. I'm another one that doesn't like it. It's more formal, and less mad professor. Then again, I hated Matt's entire costume the first time I saw it, now it's my favourite costume of any Doctor, so maybe this new version will grow on me too.

Comment

Today's episode was probably the best SJA episode ever. Just great.

I do wonder though, I mean all the classic Doctor flashbacks and mentions of former companions were great for fans. But will there have been a lot of kids sitting at home completely lost?

Comment

Just caught the second part of the Sarah Jane Adventures. Wow. It totally hit my nostalgia buttons... even though I never saw many of the "classic" episodes until 2003 or so. To see daffy Jo Grant again was nice... the show is still a little "kiddie" but this was a much better episode than the one with the Brigadier.

I LOVED the flashbacks. Those were things I never expected to see on TV again and the classic footage made me want to break out my DVD's.

I find it a little crazy to think of Jo Grant as a grandmother; why wasn't Santiago just her son? Especially since it was established she was 21-22 when she traveled with the Doctor and it's been 40 years... that's not a lot of time to have two generations, especially when Santiago looked to be around 20 or so. I'm sure it could happen, but it seemed a bit out there. Also, how did Jo Grant produce a grandson who was so good looking? lol. I think anyone regardless of orientation would be impressed and distracted by him.

And then hearing about where the companions were... it goes against some of the novels, which I'm fine with, but it was nice to know that some of the actors who have passed on in the "real world" still live through their characters. "Ben" of "Ben and Polly" died about ten years ago; "Harry Sullivan" died in the 80's, although Sarah's tone suggested he may no longer be with us; and "Barbara" of "Ian and Barbara" died in the 1980's after she did the episode "Meglos." I always knew Ian and Barbara would end up together, by the way. I could have done without the reference to them not aging, though, because it's always been something I'd love to see, to have Ian Chesterton show up as an old man on a modern episode of Doctor Who. William Russell who played him is, as far as I know, still healthy and acting, and he's been on some Doctor Who DVD extras. It also took me a while to realize "Dorothy" was a reference to Ace, and not Dodo - until someone pointed out to me "A Charitable Earth" spells out "A-C-E."

My best friend is a grump when it comes to Sarah Jane - he thinks it's too childish - but I'm going to make him watch. I think he'll love it.

Comment

I didn't see the point of Santiago at all, really. He didn't do anything. Just kind of followed Clyde and Rani, moaning about how he never got to do stuff like that.

As for the novels, I'm very happy they've contradicted some of them. Just reading about some of the stuff former companions are supposed to have gone through; drug use, brain tumours, etc. That's just being dark and adult for the sake of being dark and adult. None of that has any place in Doctor Who.

I could have done without the reference to them not aging, though, because it's always been something I'd love to see, to have Ian Chesterton show up as an old man on a modern episode of Doctor Who. William Russell who played him is, as far as I know, still healthy and acting, and he's been on some Doctor Who DVD extras.
            I agree completely. That kind of took a little bit of fun out of the ending, because it made an Ian Chesterton appearance in NewWho a lot less likely.

My best friend is a grump when it comes to Sarah Jane - he thinks it's too childish - but I'm going to make him watch. I think he'll love it.
            In previous years, SJA has more often than not managed to avoid being too kiddy. The first two serials this series, however, have just been cringe-worthy. Hopefully the rest of the series is better.

Also, I still hate the Doctor's new shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by quinny06
              I didn't see the point of Santiago at all, really. He didn't do anything. Just kind of followed Clyde and Rani, moaning about how he never got to do stuff like that.
              But he was pretty! And I think he was actually there to give some idea of someone who was close to and knows what kind of a person Jo has been lately. Though I still don't know why he was not her son rather than her grandson.

As for the novels, I'm very happy they've contradicted some of them. Just reading about some of the stuff former companions are supposed to have gone through; drug use, brain tumours, etc. That's just being dark and adult for the sake of being dark and adult. None of that has any place in Doctor Who.
              I heard that Dodo died of some kind of a VD in the novels. That's why I got all excited at first when she was mentioned, before realizing it was actually a reference to Ace.

I agree completely. That kind of took a little bit of fun out of the ending, because it made an Ian Chesterton appearance in NewWho a lot less likely.
              I REALLY wanted William Russell to appear in the inevitable 50th anniversary story as an aged Ian. Jacqueline Hill is sadly no longer with us, and I think it'd be too jarring for viewers to see an aged Susan - plus, her presence really wouldn't make the Doctor the "last of the Time Lords."

Comment

Just saw the new Sarah Jane eps!!! I thought it was so cool just having the 11th Doctor there, however Davies writing just seems a bit too simple and unoriginal for the new doctor, for example with the good guys turning out to be the bad guys. Also the doctor seemed less quick thinking and wacky with Davies stuff... maybe it's just me.

Comment

I feel I have to start watching this Series. I remember her appearence in Doctor Who. Would be interesting to see her again

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎