No announcement yet.

Continuation or Re-imagine ????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hansioux
    for what it's worth, the Reimagining of BSG has far more fans and audience than the original BSG. Female Starbuck didn't take away one bit of coolness of the male Starbuck. I don't think they need to appeal to the old fans by recreating the old show. If they feel like they need to do that, they might as well not do the show.

A new show should take the concept and essence of the story and create new and exciting stuff. If they just want to please old fans, at most they will get the hardcore fans, which makes up very little of the total viewership back in those days. Because most of the original fans probably watched BSG or Knight Rider because it was new and cool. But it's been done, it is no longer new and cool, not without new creative thinking anyway. You can't just used a new car model and do the old show and expect it to be successful.

If anyone thinks new show needs to have the Hoff to succeed, well it's not going to succeed anyway.

The new BSG has far more fans and a larger audience than the original? I hope you were joking because the new one has a fraction of the audience the original had. I'm not a fan of either version yet I still know that. Seriously, it's a show on cable that gets around two million viewers, which is good for the Sci-Fi Channel but would be an absolute joke on broadcast television, even some other cable networks, like its sister channel the USA Network, routinely pull in significantly better numbers than that. Nevermind the fact that 30 years ago the market was a lot more limited to where the big three networks of the time (ABC, NBC and CBS) were the only networks widely available with cable still in its infancy. The original BSG was the top rated show in its time slot that was canceled due to its astronomical budget, to say the new show has far more fans and audience than the original is at best, ignorance and at worst fanboyism. Besides that, I'm sure that many of the fans of it were fans of the original as well. Critic popularity? Certainly and I'm sure there's a lot of fans outside the US also, but even with all those combined I doubt it would match up to the audience the original had when it was first on television.

Now on to the other thing, the current version of BSG was always marketed as a re-imagining that had little to nothing to do with the original other than names. The new Knight Rider was marketed as a continuation of the original series from the start. The two cannot be compared because of this. Only a fool would want the new series to be a carbon copy of the original and of the hardcore fans THEY ARE A MINORITY. Most of them aren't really hardcore fans in the first place, many are just borderline trolls, especially the ones begging for it to be canceled.

To the real fans it was never about making the show a carbon copy of the original, it's been about the show actually carrying on the spirit, message and ideals of the original as well as having the "heart" of it as well. Unfortunately most of the first nine episodes completely missed the mark due to the powers that be (in this case Gary Scott Thompson and most of the writers) being absolutely clueless in what the audience was looking for and turned off many of the original series fans and potential new fans alike and that has been reflected in the ratings. They tried to make it "their own" with a healthy amount of "borrowing" from a dozen different things other than Knight Rider.

I'm willing to wager that a good percentage of the viewing audience that's left is made up of viewers that were first and foremost fans of the original series and/or their children. The original Knight Rider isn't some show that up and died after it's initial run ended roughly 23 years ago, it was and still is kept alive due to world wide syndication and later with the DVD set releases, Knight Rider's fanbase isn't limited to those of us who saw the original show as young children 23-26 years ago. Knight Rider is still on TV in the US now and pretty much has been on one network or another since it ended its initial run. It ran on the USA Network for several years on and off, it was on Sci-Fi for a good while also and is now apparently on Sleuth. Then there's other local channels that carried it over the years also.

You seem to underestimate just how big Knight Rider was and still is world wide. Hasselhoff commented one time that Knight Rider was more popular around the world than Baywatch, which is still in the Guinness Book of World Records as the most watched show of all time. Why do you think the TV movie last year did as well as it did and why those numbers weren't repeated when it went to series?

It's the same reason Knight Rider 2000 did exceptionally well when it premiered. People wanted to see Michael Knight/Hasselhoff and KITT together again and in both cases many were left sorely disappointed. The backdoor pilot had a ton of flaws that to be fair, couldn't be fixed due to the strike but many of the issues are probably at least somewhat to blame for the series not doing as well as it could be. Then again, maybe it was just a case of it coming on during the writers strike and there wasn't anything else to watch.. Though if that were the case people would have easily found something else and if that were the case the audience wouldn't have kept growing every quarter hour.

Anyway, show like this NEEDS those fans of the original to be on board while still attracting new fans as well. Why? Because if you do please the original fans, at least the more rational ones, they give you a instant and solid fan base to build upon. They're the ones who will go out and try to do what NBC isn't doing. The idea is it expand the fans base while NOT alienating fans that are the reason Knight Rider is still a viable property, they've largely failed at doing that. Of all things, it took NBC to be the ones to order the change of direction, something GST apparently didn't like too much.

That doesn't mean you go directly pander to them and make a show so entrenched in the original series that one who hasn't seen the original can't get into it. Does that mean it needs Hasselhoff? No. But IMO it would help the show if he did have some sort of limited role and a guarantee it would boost the show's ratings if properly advertised, as in advertised period, which NBC has pretty much stopped doing for the show.

Though even I, as a first and foremost fan of the original series, wouldn't want to see him every week. The thing is though, that as a continuation they have certain obligations that they haven't met, something that wouldn't have been hard to do with some competent writing instead of pretty much giving a slap in the face to TOS fans with some of the choices that have been made.. Keeping core fan base happy with something more than slight, pointless nods isn't hard to do or much to ask for. Instead of ripping off all the the things he and the writers did, maybe they should have looked to Star Trek to see how to take something and build upon it in making a show that wouldn't have to rely upon the past too much but was still something you could believe was a part of the same universe, only set many years later.

There's going to be an event in Las Vegas next month dedicated to Knight Rider which will bring together fans old and new with people involved with the original series and the new series (including Justin Bruening and Deanna Russo) showing up.

Comment

Well put. I completely agree.

I don't think we need Hasselhoff in every episode either. I do think we need at least one with him coming back with the original KITT to save the day.

Using the example of Star Trek. Star Trek: The Next Generation had many good episodes, but they did do a few episodes with the original cast in it. I wouldn't have wanted Scotty in an entire season, but I really enjoyed the one episode he was in. The same is true for Spock and McCoy. Those were nice way to say to the original series fans "Thank you for sticking with us"

----- Added 39 Seconds later -----

Well put. I completely agree.

I don't think we need Hasselhoff in every episode either. I do think we need at least one with him coming back with the original KITT to save the day.

Using the example of Star Trek. Star Trek: The Next Generation had many good episodes, but they did do a few episodes with the original cast in it. I wouldn't have wanted Scotty in an entire season, but I really enjoyed the one episode he was in. The same is true for Spock and McCoy. Those were nice way to say to the original series fans "Thank you for sticking with us"
      Last edited by Antithesis; 02-28-2009, 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I saw an interview with the actor that plays the new Michael, he says it's a continuation. I agree with Antithesis, have the orginal KITT and Michael team up with the new KITT and Michael to solve a big case that involves someone from the past who is wreacking havoc somehow. It would be interesting to see how dialog between the two KITTs would play out and it would be quite amusing.

Comment

The only reason the new BSG shows up at 2.2 mil on the rating system is because current rating system no longer determines real ratings. There's TiVo, ubiquitous satellite dish, and Scifi streams the show online, or just watch on Hulu. Not to mention you can download it on itunes, buy DVD sets and watch it later, or download it through XBOX Live. None of which existed when the original BSG was on the air.

New BSG also airs in UK the same day as in US. It is shown on cable across the world. The original BSG never had that kind of following. And the original was on sunday night network TV back when there were far fewer options.

Original BSG can have 29 million viewers and ranked only at 24th place. Today, sans awards or sport events, a most watched show on sunday night network TV generates no more than 15 million viewers. That doesn't mean less people follow a show today than 30 years ago.

By the way, if streaming shows online makes less money than TV commercials, then no network would expand upon a failed business model. The fact is every network is on board. NBC, CBS, ABC, all are starting to put their shows directly on the internet.

If you want to talk about cable TV ratings, on many friday nights, a rerun of That's so Raven would out number most of the shows. And there aren't more people watching that's so raven than any friday night cable shows.

It just goes to show Nielsen ratings no longer evaluate the real viewership of a show. And that shows, like new BSG, are worth collecting. Others shows are just watch and forget.

I grew up watching Knight Rider in Taiwan, so you don't need to tell me how big Knight Rider was overseas. But I can tell you no one will watch the new Knight Rider over seas if the show continues on it's "restart" path.

Just like the new media medium is affecting how ratings are judged in the US, times are different for networks overseas as well. Back in the 80s, almost any show made in US gets a time slot on weekend network tvs overseas. That is no longer the case. Even shows like CSI only gets played on cable.

I am not saying the show was way better in it's first 9 episodes before the restart, but the writing was a lot more consistent. I also wanted the show to give Mike and KITT more time alone for them to resolve issues on their own.

But if that means they had to down grade the people he fights to local crooks, that is simply the producers thinking it will all be better if it is as much like the old show as possible. There is no reason why Mike and KITT couldn't do greater things without the constant video conference interference.

The issue was just with KITT and Mike not getting enough time together, not that there was no Hoff or terrorist of the day.

Basically, the show won't make it, in it's first 9 episode form or the restart form. I want the show to go on, because I am one of those original Knight Rider fans. I followed Knight Rider in Taiwanese, in German and now in English. I know the old days were great, but going back to that format will not generate the kind of viewership it need to justify staying on Network TV.

Comment

hansioux, while you are an original fan like I am, face facts here for a minute. After the reboot, the Nielson ratings were moving up, just like they were for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and both networks killed both shows prematurely, just like FOX did for Dark Angel even after the Dark Angel folks had a season 3 planned. Knight Rider had a Season 2 planned where they were going to delve a little more into Michael Knight's past so who knows we may have seen the Hoff. It would have been great to see Mike's backstory..

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎