No announcement yet.

What should The CW do instead?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sailordom
    Booster Gold: A cocky, self-centered hero who travels the multiverse could be a way to play in the DC Universe without *really* playing in it. By being relatively episodic, it could be a nice alternative to all the continuity-laden genre stuff still out there. But, like Chuck on NBC, it could just be too quirky to find a wide audience, and it would probably not fit in well on the CW.
    Thats exactly the type of show they need on the CW. Most of there shows feel the same. The only time they took a chance was "Buffy" and that paid off. Booster Gold is a great character and I think he should get his chance.

Comment

I think that a Legion of Superheroes show will really pay off. They have such a colorful cast, there'd be someone for everyone!

If not, I think a Supergirl/Green Arrow power-hour kinda thing would kick-off. Guys would watch the show for SG and girls would watch it for GA, right?

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

I think an Acrata aka Angel of Vengeance show would be cool too. With her, we don't know her destiny and we don't know what'll happen to her. There's a whole lotta room for creativity and stuff.
      Last edited by 1000GreenSun; 11-09-2008, 07:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'd like to see a Justice League spin-off with Ollie, Dinah, Bart, AC, Angel of Vengeance, Cyborg, Kara and MM. You could also add Maggie Sawyer and some Green Arrow villains in the series. With all of those Leaguers, you could have each of them minus Ollie and Dinah in about 15 episodes per season, that way its cheaper and you can focus on characters easier. If its successful and they wanted another spin-off, they could spin-off AoV or Cyborg creating a Titans Division, maybe even with AoV.

Comment

There's no such thing as too obscure. Look at Marvel. Did ANYONE know who Hellboy was who didn't actually read the comic book? The fact is that they're going to have to go obscure, since all the major properties are slated to go to film.

Manhunter is a possibility. The Question is a possibility. Black Lightning and Steel they probably wouldn't do because of the demographic.

You could mine the villains with someone like Deadshot, Deathstroke, Black Adam, even Lobo.

Personally, I'd like to see Firestorm. They could play it like a knockoff of Johnny Storm.

Comment

I would love to see a Nightwing series. And maybe if they wanted to re-do Birds Of Prey I would be okay with it. Maybe this time they could get BOP right, and not try to make it like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
              There's no such thing as too obscure. Look at Marvel. Did ANYONE know who Hellboy was who didn't actually read the comic book? The fact is that they're going to have to go obscure, since all the major properties are slated to go to film.

Manhunter is a possibility. The Question is a possibility. Black Lightning and Steel they probably wouldn't do because of the demographic.

You could mine the villains with someone like Deadshot, Deathstroke, Black Adam, even Lobo.

Personally, I'd like to see Firestorm. They could play it like a knockoff of Johnny Storm.
              *holds a hand up* I know all those names *cough* wait. you mean non comic book geeks right?

Comment

Originally posted by cousteau
                *holds a hand up* I know all those names *cough* wait. you mean non comic book geeks right?
                "Heroes" has no names and they've been pretty successful.

Comment

Originally posted by cousteau
                  You had better know all those names, or I will hit you.

Comment

Originally posted by lauraforever
                    Green Arrow Spinoff
                    Kara Spinoff

I'm leaning towards the Kara Spinoff
                    I'm with lauraforever on this one. Green Arrow offers so many possibilities if it's done well. A Kara Spin-off could be amazing as well. I think that Supergirl needs to be reinvented so that she has a unique personality (like in "Smallville") instead of just a female Superman. She's an interesting character and she could do very well in her show.

Comment

Journey to Wonder Woman - The film is dead, look at who they replaced Joss Weadon with, so do Amazon. She is basically Clark, but without his upbringing. Must write this script would be worth it.

Towards Nightwing - Gives you Smallville, but different.

Towards Oracle - The really brave choice.

Damn, just came up with an idea for next bat film. Must write it down.
                      Last edited by Minotaur; 11-10-2008, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Here are my top ideas for a replacement project:

Zatanna: Magician and stage illusionist.
                        This is a no-brainer -- outside of 7th Heaven, Charmed was the WB's most successful series.
                        Pros: Could easily be Smallvillized as a show featuring a teenaged Zatanna Zatara who is learning stage magic and how to be a sorceress. Set it in a city like Las Vegas, and it could possibly appeal to more than just the city folks who tune into Gossip Girl. Could also be done on a reasonable budget ala Supernatural if done with a teenage Zee.
                        Cons: Just like in comics (sadly), female-lead genre shows don't tend to fare very well. But because this would have more of a focus on magic instead of a pure action series, I think it could have strong appeal to female viewers, making it a perfect match for the CW.
                        [
                        This is what I'd go with if I wanted to try something that would lock the SV and Gossip Girl target demographic for the CW, and I'd insert a cameo from SV Clark and Oliver Queen during the first season (if they were seeking a SV-like show) to draw the post-SV audience.

Now that Graysons is axed, I don't think any Batman-related shows could - or should - surface on TV until the latest Batman movie franchise (which as a Batman fan first, I love!) runs its course.

Comment

Why not go for a Green Arrow/JLA spin-off and a Kara spin-off, or even have Kara join them?

Comment

If anything gets developed for the CW, it HAS to be an obscure character. All the major properties (most of which are obscure for non-DC fans anyway) are already in various stages of development. Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Flash and Wonder Woman -- and of course, Batman and Superman -- are all likely off the table for TV consideration.

But I think the biggest drawback is that the CW (and before them, the WB) has little to no interest in developing an action series. And from the little we heard about The Graysons concept, it doesn't sound like Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson are particularly interested in doing an action show, either.

I'm wondering if that's why there seems to be no effort to do a Green Arrow, Justice League or even a Supergirl series, because those would seem to be the logical spinoff ideas. But Smallville is a teen soap, and any of those would likely be a much different animal.

Comment

Wonder Woman isn't going anywhere for awhile, and it looks like Green Arrow movie will suck. I figured the ones we've seen from smallville plus add Andrea Rojas and maybe another made up leaguer and have them all switch off episodes throughout the season like Heroes. Supergirl could either be a regular or in like only 7-8 episodes per season. Like what Jimmy did in season 6. They could have it where the League is now trying to have somewhat of a normal life as well, with Dinah and Ollie possibly liking each other and AC meeting his future wife and doesn't know shes Atlantean.

Comment

Hmm...

Here are my top ideas for a replacement project:
                                Stargirl/Star-Spangled Kid: Bratty Courtney Whitmore discovers her the cosmic-converter belt in after her stepfather moves them to Nebraska.
                                Pros: Lots of potential in terms of telling a story about a girl growing up to become a hero. Geoff Johns' series was a lot of fun, and I think it could be adapted into a Smallville-type show, especially with the flyover-state setting.
                                Cons: If they try to do S.T.R.I.P.E., it will likely be too expensive, but the relationship between her and stepfather is really the heart of the concept, I think. And, again, it would be a female-led action-type show, and that may not appeal to a whole lot of viewers, just as the comic, sadly was a perenial low-seller. :
                                Now this is a series I'd love to see, especially if they bring in occasional appearances by other members of the JSA and even the Seven Soldiers of Victory!

She can be still in school and it deals with her origin which would fit a new series ideally more than smallville itself since some of the later JSA series dealt with the notion of a heroes identity being inherited and not just by members of the same family which was the reason a certain Vandal Savage had them hunted down specifically to wipe out the group he blamed for the defeat of his pawn Adolf Hitler can you say Dean Cain as a regular villain?!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎