No announcement yet.

What should The CW do instead?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should The CW do instead?

Since the Warner Bros. movie folks won't let The CW do The Graysons, is there another DC franchise that might work instead as a TV project?

Leave your comments here. I was going to do a poll but figured it might be best to just let you say what you want in the comments.

Like you've said a billion times, Green Arrow spin-off would be awesome.

They should have gone with that in the first place.

Comment

Green Arrow Spinoff
      Kara Spinoff

I'm leaning towards the Kara Spinoff

Comment

Just to change it up a bit. How about a live action tv series about "Booster Gold".

Comment

I would love a Booster Gold series so much - that's a great concept, a hero from the future trying to do good today - but, I wonder if people would respond to a series with a character with such a (in my opinion) silly name.

Comment

A Justice League series. I know the movie idea is dead and may eventually get off the ground. But wouldn't it be a smart move to see the concept in live action form? Get the right cast and right story concept and BAM it could be TV gold.

Comment

A Kara series definately. It would be amazing. Not only would it keep all the smallville fans but it would fit right into what the CW are aiming for and thats for more female driven shows.
              I don't see why anyone would object to a Supergirl show.

Or here's a crazy idea... How about a Superman show?

Comment

Green Lantern but before he got his ring.

Comment

Well, since you asked...

Zatanna
                  The Question
                  Oracle
                  Nightwing
                  Catwoman
                  pre-Joker
                  Green Arrow/ Kara
                  Teen Titans
                  Flash
                  Wonder Woman
                  Helena Bertinelli
                  Legion of Superheroes
                  Martian Manhunter
                  Blue Beetle
                  Captain Marvel/ Shazam
                  Booster Gold
                  Black Canary
                  Birds of Prey (of course, they actually have to READ the comics)
                  Green Lantern
                  The Justice Society

Those are just off the top of my head...

Comment

Here are my top ideas for a replacement project:

Zatanna: Magician and stage illusionist.
                    This is a no-brainer -- outside of 7th Heaven, Charmed was the WB's most successful series.
                    Pros: Could easily be Smallvillized as a show featuring a teenaged Zatanna Zatara who is learning stage magic and how to be a sorceress. Set it in a city like Las Vegas, and it could possibly appeal to more than just the city folks who tune into Gossip Girl. Could also be done on a reasonable budget ala Supernatural if done with a teenage Zee.
                    Cons: Just like in comics (sadly), female-lead genre shows don't tend to fare very well. But because this would have more of a focus on magic instead of a pure action series, I think it could have strong appeal to female viewers, making it a perfect match for the CW.

Books of Magic/Timothy Hunter: Boy who is destined to become the world's greatest magician.
                    Pros: Great characters in Tim and Molly Reilly. The concept itself is open to Smallvillization, and you have the flexibility that comes with a relatively new character. Lots to explore when you bring Faerie into the mix.
                    Cons: The inevitable comparisons to Harry Potter, despiting Tim existing first. Casting could take care of Tim's physical resemblance to Harry, but HP so dominates the idea of magic in popular culture right now, it might be a killer.

Stargirl/Star-Spangled Kid: Bratty Courtney Whitmore discovers her the cosmic-converter belt in after her stepfather moves them to Nebraska.
                    Pros: Lots of potential in terms of telling a story about a girl growing up to become a hero. Geoff Johns' series was a lot of fun, and I think it could be adapted into a Smallville-type show, especially with the flyover-state setting.
                    Cons: If they try to do S.T.R.I.P.E., it will likely be too expensive, but the relationship between her and stepfather is really the heart of the concept, I think. And, again, it would be a female-led action-type show, and that may not appeal to a whole lot of viewers, just as the comic, sadly was a perenial low-seller.

Long-shot ideas:
                    Blue Beetle: With the Jaime Reyes version, it's a ready-made, family-oriented teen show with a strong supporting cast. But, it would likely be too expensive -- the Blue Beetle armor likely wouldn't be cheap to reproduce on a live-action show regularly.

Booster Gold: A cocky, self-centered hero who travels the multiverse could be a way to play in the DC Universe without *really* playing in it. By being relatively episodic, it could be a nice alternative to all the continuity-laden genre stuff still out there. But, like Chuck on NBC, it could just be too quirky to find a wide audience, and it would probably not fit in well on the CW.

I tried to think of things that would work as a replacement project for "They Graysons." In other words, projects that would actually fit on the CW, wouldn't be too expensive, don't conflict with a property already in development for a movie, hasn't already been (badly) adapted, etc.

And actually, that really leaves most possibilities out. A lot of stuff I could see working in live-action TV (Catwoman, Birds of Prey, Manhunter, Checkmate) just wouldn't appeal to much of the CW's target demo. Or it has already been managled in a recent TV show/movie. Or it's connected to a major property that's already being developed for a movie (Green Lantern, Green Arrow, the Flash, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman).

There's lots of things I would love to see developed for TV, but very few of them, I feel, would fit on the CW. I would kill, for example, to see a Fables series on HBO. Or a Starman series on SciFi. Or a Gotham Central show. Or a Manhunter (Kate Spencer) show. Or a Checkmate show. Or a Suicide Squad show. But none of those would work on the CW, and would probably need to be on cable with its niche audiences to have a hope of surviving.

Comment

The justice league show would make so much more sense they already have all the actors.

Comment

How about... an Acrata spinoff!?

Comment

An Oliver Queen/Green Arrow spin-off
                          A spin-off about John Jones as a Metropolis detective
                          A spin-off about Kara going to Kandor
                          A Justice League spin-off
                          A Legion of Superheroes spin-off

I also agree that Booster Gold and Zatanna could be good.

Comment

Blue Beetle might be too much like M.A.N.T.I.S., which... didn't last too long.

Saw a suggestion on here for Tim Hunter... interestingly enough, the Books of Magic came about ten years before Harry Potter. But, since DC Comics' corporate parent is Warner Bros., who makes good money off of the HP movies, I don't think they'd take legal action anytime soon ;p

Nightwing is still my favorite idea; I'd been clamoring for a Nightwing series since Birds of Prey was first announced.

Manhunter could be cool, but that's getting to the point where if it's a character that obscure to the general public, it might not be worth even trying.

And just because I've loved the comics lately, a character like Codename: Assassin would be cool. ;p But again, that character is pretty obscure.

I'd love to see a new take on The Flash. The WB was considering it a few years back and then it died... also, the original concept for it (time travel?!?) was just kind of silly and stupid. I'd want it to be in the SV "universe" though, and Kyle Gallner would have to appear as Bart, even if he's not the Flash they'd use.

Also a few years back there was talk of adapting James Robinson's version of Starman to TV. It could've been really cool but of course studios made changes... but if Jack Knight & co. were treated and done like they were in the comic, it might be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroGirl06
                              Well, since you asked...

Zatanna
                              To obscure

The Question
                              Potential there.

Oracle
                              Nightwing
                              Wouldn't get considered for the same reason as the graysons got dismissed.

Catwoman
                              Don't you think they did enough damage with that god awful movie?

pre-Joker
                              Batman territory

Green Arrow/ Kara
                              Green arrow? I can see that.

Teen Titans
                              They'd do it a la power rangers and you know it.

Flash
                              Been there, done that and the TV series is a classic. Change it and die.

Wonder Woman
                              Movei definitely happening, so no.

Helena Bertinelli
                              Legion of Superheroes
                              Martian Manhunter
                              Blue Beetle
                              To obscure/CGI intensive/non eventful

Captain Marvel/ Shazam
                              Movie happening, so no

Booster Gold
                              No

Black Canary
                              Sweetie, if you want to see a woman scream a man into submission out of fear, just watch oprah or the view. Or a Sarah Palin interview.

Birds of Prey (of course, they actually have to READ the comics)
                              I doubt they'd reboot tbh.

Green Lantern
                              Movie happening, so no.

The Justice Society

Those are just off the top of my head...
                              I can't see justice society working tbh.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by KryptonSite
                              Blue Beetle might be too much like M.A.N.T.I.S., which... didn't last too long.

Saw a suggestion on here for Tim Hunter... interestingly enough, the Books of Magic came about ten years before Harry Potter. But, since DC Comics' corporate parent is Warner Bros., who makes good money off of the HP movies, I don't think they'd take legal action anytime soon ;p

Nightwing is still my favorite idea; I'd been clamoring for a Nightwing series since Birds of Prey was first announced.

Manhunter could be cool, but that's getting to the point where if it's a character that obscure to the general public, it might not be worth even trying.

And just because I've loved the comics lately, a character like Codename: Assassin would be cool. ;p But again, that character is pretty obscure.

I'd love to see a new take on The Flash. The WB was considering it a few years back and then it died... also, the original concept for it (time travel?!?) was just kind of silly and stupid. I'd want it to be in the SV "universe" though, and Kyle Gallner would have to appear as Bart, even if he's not the Flash they'd use.

Also a few years back there was talk of adapting James Robinson's version of Starman to TV. It could've been really cool but of course studios made changes... but if Jack Knight & co. were treated and done like they were in the comic, it might be cool.
                              *smack* kyle is impulse, not the flash. which makes it workable, as you could re-tool him as kid flash and have an adult flash.
                              Last edited by cousteau; 11-09-2008, 03:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎