No announcement yet.

The CW Scraps Plans For "The Graysons"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The CW Scraps Plans For "The Graysons"

The WB movie people decided not to let them do it, according to Variety.

Blah. I was excited to have another DC-related series on the air. I had reservations about this idea but figured concerns would work themselves out. Anyway, we'll see what happens next... maybe this will get them to more actively pursue re-upping Tom Welling for a Smallville Season 9.

Darn, you beat me to this!

Here's a link to the article:

And yep, killed for pretty much the reasons I thought it would. (Thank goodness! CW, step away from the Bat franchise, kthanks.)

I think this also provides some insight into why there's been no chatter about a Green Arrow spinoff from Smallville. If WB develops another comic property for the CW, I fully expect it will be something that isn't in development for a movie.

Which would leave out Green Lantern (would likely be too expensive anyway), Green Arrow, the Flash and Wonder Woman.

Comment

In my opinion the "very original" Green Arrow movie needs to be done away with and should have his own TV series instead. Smallville's team really did a great job modernizing him and fans have already expressed acceptance to the idea almost immediately after his many appearances in season 5.

Some of the best scenes on Smallville involved GA in some way or another. Heck even has presence in the simplistic ones like in the Bloodline eppy when he darts a tranquilizer arrow at Mercy. Total ownage.

Comment

This Nolan/Bale batman franchise is posion. As long it's still alive no other batman related projects will get made.

Comment

Or they'll regress to something silly like the new "Brave & The Bold" animated series looks to do.

I was hopeful. Then again, Smallville was created out of the WB movie division getting greedy and not allowing a "Young Bruce Wayne" series - so maybe this will mean they'll do something better, instead. I just don't like that the movie division has final say on everything - which means that instead of, say, a Green Arrow TV show starring Justin Hartley, we get "Green Arrow in Prison."

Comment

I'm actually happy that "The Graysons" is scrapped. Now if only the CW would get on board with Craig's idea for a Green Arrow spinoff.

The most ridiculous line in the article:

"Some believe 2006's "Superman Returns" was hurt at the box office because of the simultaneous TV show (Smallville)."

That's the equivalent of saying that Terminator Salvation will do bad at the box office because of The Sarah Conner Chronicles".

I don't like DC's Embargo on certain properties. Are they really short-sighted enough to believe that having characters in multiple mediums will hurt those character's chances on the big screen?

Comment

Oh man, that sucks. Hopefully something better comes up.

Comment

Im fine with it as long as they replace it with another DC show. I would just really like a DC companion show to Smallville. I was willing to buy into the Graysons thing for that reason alone, because it was DC universe.

I also hope that the replacement show has Souders and Peterson involved again because I think they would be key to any DC show's success at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit Detective
                  The most ridiculous line in the article:

"Some believe 2006's "Superman Returns" was hurt at the box office because of the simultaneous TV show (Smallville)."

That's the equivalent of saying that Terminator Salvation will do bad at the box office because of The Sarah Conner Chronicles".

I don't like DC's Embargo on certain properties. Are they really short-sighted enough to believe that having characters in multiple mediums will hurt those character's chances on the big screen?
                  Even more ridiculous is that it was Warner Bros. who insisted they do Clark Kent on television since they weren't doing anything with the Superman property at the time. I guess we should be thankful that the movie didn't cause Smallville's premature cancellation.

I don't see how "The Graysons" would affect the Batman movie franchise at all - the world of Dick Grayson can and has been separate from the Batman. I mean, heck - one of Dick's most popular eras as a character, he had a romance with an alien princess! (Starfire in the Teen Titans)

I really hope The CW and Warner Bros. give Souders & Peterson & McG another DC-related deal to fill the void of this one. I myself think I'd most like to see the Justice League (yeah right like DC will allow that), even over a GA series at this point, just because I'd like to see Black Canary, Impulse, and the other characters of that nature. After seeing Smallville tonight I wish there was a place for Laura Vandervoort to go too - even if they had to lower her power level to keep the effects affordable. One advantage of Robin is that you didn't need the effects - you just needed the acrobatics.

Comment

Maybe they can still work on a Supergirl spinoff where she's on an exciting journey looking for Kandor!

Comment

My hope is that the movie people squashed it because Robon may become a part of the Nolan franchise...

Comment

I'm very glad to hear the Graysons series is not happening. All fans knew it was a bad idea from the first moment we heard about it.

Maybe they could do a Kara series instead... or a detective Martian Manhunter series... or a Green Arrow series.... or a Green Arrow & Green Lantern series (introduce Hal Jordan to work alongside Hartley's GA)...... So many possibilities better than the Graysons.

Comment

Green Arrow spinoff it is then.

Well, we can dream.

Comment

Thank goodness, best news I've heard all week. Nothing against Robin but based on what I've heard about the Graysons. It was a dead on arrival show. A Robin show before he met Batman come on, the CW should of realized the absurdity of that premise when it was brought to the table. If your gonna do a Robin show do it right.

Comment

Can't say I'm really upset that "The Graysons" isn't happening. However, it sucks that it's because the movie division is being a bully.

I guess this means a GA series is unlikely do to Supermax, but we can always hope that they'll cancel the movie.

Supergirl could be decent.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎