Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet behind the ears

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand most of what Lois says except for when she talks about something or someone who wouldn't really be known outside of America. Like in an episode recently she was talking about baseball and threw out some names and things and I had no clue what she was saying although generally I can get the jist of what she's trying to say.

Comment

Personally, I think Lois' metaphors make more sense than Chloe's in the first three season. I used to call Chloe "popculturereference Chloe" and she annoyed the heck out of me.

Wet behind the ears is a well-know (to American English-speaking people) and HAS been used since the '40's.

Comment

I love all the clever metaphors! Where else would I get to hear and learn them?

Comment

Originally posted by petitemimi
          ^^ Right. Every time I see an expression I don't get, I go there:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Very useful.
          Thanks for this reference. I know what 'wet behind the ears' means but I couldn't figure out what Lois meant in Instinct when she told Clark he should look outside his wheel house (urban dictionary meaning: The mind; inside the head, like if someone had a little mouse spinning in a wheel inside their head.)

Evidently Clark didn't know what she was talking about either because he tells her he did not know that he had a wheel house.

Comment

^ Thanks Sunny8. I was wondering what a wheel house was.

Comment

Its good that we are always learning something new with Lois, arent we?

Comment

One of the character traits of Lois Lane though, through all depictions, is to have very obscure references or metaphors when she speaks. ED's Lois has more modern references than others of the past (i.e. Stop acting like I'm Jabba the Hut - very odd reference since Jabba actually fed his personal dancer to his pet and she was the dancer in the scene). But yeah I could see how the baseball references Willie Mays (NY/SF Giant) Hall of Fame baseball player being jealous of a bat boy and Clark and her getting along like a Red Sox & Yankee fans. Those two baseball teams have a rich rivalry going far back, Red Sox traded Babe Ruth to the Yankees or actually sold him and then a so called curse was placed on them - the Sox didn't win a championship for like 80 years. So the two teams fans hate one another and there have been at least one or two violent acts committed by fans of the teams on one another.

Comment

Bike and Harley...=]

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Lois
                    Bike and Harley...=]
                    And Sweet Vanilla and Wild Cherry

Comment

NHAA... you gotta love Lois.

"Jimmy is a regular Cyrano"

Comment

Working...
                      X