Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Jimmy's camera have caught Clark?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not stopped, it's still moving, Clark's just moving faster. Once you're taking liberties to allow FTL travel, anything that offers a half decent explanation is good enough. If you really want to argue the problems of FTL travel, it isn't that he'd be blind, it's that according to our current knowledge he'd be traveling back in time. Since that isn't happening, laws of physics have changed so that we're dealing with Newtonian physics at really high speeds, rather than Einsteinian.
    Last edited by migo; 11-05-2008, 12:42 AM. Reason: fixing messed automerging

Comment

If it didn't catch hin in "Hydro", then how could it have caught him in "Identity"??

Comment

Originally posted by borednow
        Is this information interesting? I think so...
        Bri your interests are 100% confirmed. I can officially announce you are a maths/physics nerd!!!

Originally posted by borednow
        Doppler affects based on motion, red and blue sifting which at speeds comparable to light at all make it impossible to get information from said light as light traveling away from him would be red-shifted out of existence and light traveling towards him would be all blue shifted to become the same frequency of gama-rays
        As to your theory about doppler shifting, (I like), whats wrong with Superman seeing in the gamma region? Just because us humans cant see past 400 nm doesn't mean that kryptonians cant.

But as to theory about shifting out of existence im not sure. You say at speeds comparable to C. Well lets say 0.99C if thats close enough for you.

At 0.99C observed frequency=14 or 1/14 emitted frequency

Not exactly shifted out of existance!

Comment

Clark can move faster then a speeding bullet ;
          and faster then the speed of light .
          point blank , period !
          - I dont know ,
          but hey ; it made a good storyline . ( y )

Comment

Originally posted by BadaBingBadaBoomsday
            Bri your interests are 100% confirmed. I can officially announce you are a maths/physics nerd!!!

As to your theory about doppler shifting, (I like), whats wrong with Superman seeing in the gamma region? Just because us humans cant see past 400 nm doesn't mean that kryptonians cant.

But as to theory about shifting out of existence im not sure. You say at speeds comparable to C. Well lets say 0.99C if thats close enough for you.

At 0.99C observed frequency=14 or 1/14 emitted frequency

Not exactly shifted out of existance!
            Thanks for the acknowledgment of my nerdiness!

If Superman could see in the gamma region... cool, but at C you get a divide by zero error in the Doppler effect. The light would either have infinite frequency or none... all light... I'm not seeing that as useful if you get me. but this is really psychotic stuff anyway and yeah and light speed Clark would have infinite mass as well! and there would be no distance and... really pointless stuff to talk about on a super hero show... unless your watching Noein...

Comment

Originally posted by BadaBingBadaBoomsday
              If you had took the time to read my post, i was talking about the speed of electrons in an electric current!

This is nowhere near C and if you have ever worked out the drift velocity of electrons you would see this.

I know electrons can go much faster but in an electric current they are slow.

Another thing, most of these posters must have been absent the day their physics teacher taught that nothingcan go faster than the speed of light.

If photons, that weight nothing can only go at C, what makes you think a finite mass can go quicker???

----- Added 9 Minutes later -----

I don't want to start an argument, on whether Supes can go faster than light or not.

I dont know, because im not big into the comics, but i suppose he can because he simply has to!

But when people start saying 'this or that' is what happens when he goes faster than light, im sorry but these have to be theories.

They have to be theories, when nobody has gone faster than C, NEVER MIND WORKING OUT WHETHER IT IS POSSIBLE.

But to repeat myself, I am not arguing whether Supes go faster or not, just what happens when he does.

Nobody nows only him

i didn't mean t o'tick
              you off.... i did read your post, and understood you completly...
              true, this may all be speculation...however, sicne we've already broke nthat rule, by supes moving at c speeds, ..

the electric current part , you are corret....but let us not debate brainiac's charging process, THAT could be anyting , froom his supersharging at 30999X the speed of light, to 1 mph....we shouldn't dwell on it other than the fact clark easily moves in a world where eletrons won't move at all until he slows down, at his higher speeds....

the ifinite mass thing...ues, physics denotes it'd need infinite energy...technically, supes can pull that off.....no one knew that?

i was nver intending to try to get th message across that that's what MUST happe nat those speeds.....

i'll say this much...Bart better watch ut, because 'stretch' is appriaching pre-crisis speeds...and, now, even if bart can be 1000 miles away before some1 blinks(btw, this is SLOW, for the flash and supes) ,Clark will eb able to be a million miles away before bart blinks(this is if bart doesn't get faster as time goes on..but, this is SV, so anything's possible)

Comment

I think Clark's skills are increasingly becoming more refined as he gets older. He probably thought Jimmy had actually caught a photo of him because he was preparing himself for what he was about to see when Jimmy was getting ready to show it to him. He probably had no idea what he looked like speeding.

Also, I don't think Clark was able to save Lois and protect himself from Jimmy's camera at the same time or else he would have shielded himself from having his picture taken.
                Last edited by Sunny8; 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TOMophilus
                  Exactly. Being hit by a Boeing 747 at its highest speed would not be pleasant. Since Supes is even faster than a 474, his effect would be much worse (even though his mass is lower). Even slowing down a bit wouldn´t help: he has to slow down to normal human walking speed if he doesn´t want to hurt the people he saves. (But that would mean that he could be photographed.) Just remember that you can get hurt badly already in a car accident with 30mph. Moving people out of the way of a speeding bullet with a speed faster than a speeding bullet is just as fatal as the bullet.

Another relativistic problem: If Supes were to fly with the speed of light, his mass would become infinite. Hence it would require infinite energy for him to move forward. The entire energy of the universe would not suffice to do this...
                  His aura utilizes all of the negative effects on humans or various objects such as buildings, cars etc, that's why he doesn't shred people and objects to pieces when he touches them in super speed. But don't try and make sense out of it using real world physics, it wont make sense. Same goes for the Clark stops time argument. If time stops, then photons stop as well, meaning no light bounces off of objects, meaning Clark sees blackness. It would be impossible for him to see or hear anything. Besides, Clark doesn't have a time manipulation power. Its just a special effect that allows the viewer to see what Clark does in superspeed. It doesn't mean that time stops for him or that its slowed down for him, its slowed down for us because with our eyes capped at 25 fps, we cant see all that fast movement, so they slow it down for us. Kind of like the Timewarp series on the Discovery Channel, they shoot with high speed cameras (30.000 fps) and then play it with a 25 fps rate (30.000 divided by 25 = 1200 times slower) to reveal to us what really happens when you take a punch from someone, or when a bullet hits a metal plate or a balloon filled with water explodes etc. Clark's eyes behave like a high speed camera, that's why he doesn't bump into people and objects when he moves at superspeed, that's why he can see other people who move with superspeed. I'm not a physics major like some of you here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt time a dimension just like x,y,z? If one can stop time, does it mean that one can stop x or y or z and see the world in two dimensions, or better yet, in one dimension? Wouldn't that be like ... errr ... I don't know, ridiculous? Even for a sci-fi show? If so, then why are you even entertaining such a possibility when clearly this explanation doesn't and can't provide a satisfactory answer to the problem? I mean if you want to answer it applying real world physics, otherwise we can all just say its a comic book or a sci-fi show where anything goes.

Comment

^^^ Do you only turn up for Smallville vs the laws of physics threads nowadays? Long time no post buddy!
                    Just saw this episode last week but got the feeling that Clark being papped was like one of those moments from Hammer Horror films where the victim has literally seconds of time to avoid impending doom but just ends up standing stock still!
                    For me, if Clark-as-a-blur has been caught on camera in S1 (forgotten the episode where Lex watches him on a security camera), and in Cyborg - plus Bart in Justice - it doesn't surprise me that he got caught in Identity.
                    Last edited by Lex Dance; 12-22-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

I feel like I'm stuck on an online class sometimes ... lol ... anyway great points everyone/ It seems like SV writers need to hire physics experts for these kind of episodes or they'll never get a break from you guys lol

Comment

Wow, this was two years ago?

-Episode Solitude was when The Series established , courtesy of Lionel Luthor at the time, that ya- clark can move at the speed of light.

Which chalks this one up to Clark simply not bothering to move that fast during this episode, which would make sense remembering him seeing the camera flash come towards him(and of course he was there like a deer and didnt speed up and stood there and let it hit and reflect off of him, lol)

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎