Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rockyshadow
    I loved this episode. I loved that Jimmy figured everything out about Clark. Clark is on his way to finally figuring out that he does need a secret identity. I loved the exchange between Oliver and Clark about returning the favor about dressing up. This episode was the highlight for me for the friendships Clark had with both Oliver and Jimmy since they both started back in season six.

I totally agree ! Solid 10. This will become one of my all time favorites.

Comment

• This episode was good.Liked the red-blue blur was tight and oliver being clark was tight.But the plot was boring

Comment

• Like "Prey" this episode really explored the need for a secret identity.

Hence why "Identity" was awesome! I really loved how they made Jimmy crack the secret. It was really flattering on his abilities. I loved the moment he knew it was Clark. I wasn't exactly afraid of what would happen. It was more like humorous but still got me thinking how is he gonna get out of this one.

Getting Oliver back on track was a good side story to this. Was cool of them doing role reversal from "Hydro". The comedy in this episode was just amazing from the scenes in Olivers private plane to the street scenes. I especially liked how it was implied that Oliver might be drunk and that Clark hasn't got the right to bash him 'cos last time he got to make out with Lois!

The teaser to the episode is simple but it shows Clark patroling the streets which is always a plus. It shows how tough Lois is and Jimmy taking a picture of the Blur is what you'd find in the pages of comics. It's simple, it's nothing new, but it's not really not at all played like this in the show. The end scene was great with Clark seeing what could be with Oliver in the red cape (that Clark thinks looks ridiculous )

Seriously the episode didn't jump at you with amazing scenes but it did it's basic developement and actions so well that it deserves a 10.

Comment

• Rated it a solid 9

What brought it home for me was that dude reading Lois and the scene where Clark is zipping up her dress (well all saw how nervous and awkward CK was lols) and to see Lois' facial reactions.... Such a good touch to the episode!

Something so simple as that 3-4 second scene made that episode so awesome for me! Corse Oli helping out CK etc etc was good but nah that Lois+CK scene was teh best :3

Comment

• I just read somewhere that Oliver's penthouse apartment also doubled as the Ace of Clubs set. I am doing a Smallville rewatch right now and I just finished this episode and noticed that when Lois and Sebastian are having dinner at the Ace of Clubs, I think you can see a part of the huge clock from Oliver's pad. Right when the scene switches to the dinner scene, that's when you can see it. I could be wrong though.

Comment

• A nice fun episode which showed that season 8 was moving along nicely. It was the first real inkling that Clark will need to consider an alter ego to preserve his secret - a theme which would be revisited regularly but one which he took time to learn the lessons from.

This was one of the better episodes featuring Jimmy and it showed that he has very good instincts. He was clever enough to put the pieces together and it required an elaborate ruse to throw him off the scent. Throwing Lois off will be much trickier hence why Clark was a little apprehensive at the end.

We got more about Tess and the 'inmates' at Black Creek, and learned that she knew Lois had stolen the flash drive containing some key info. The mugging at the beginning was the first salvo, and using Sebastian Kane was the other. A key development for the portrayal of Lois on the show was that she immediately realised who Sebastian was and agreed to the date as a means to investigate him and Black Creek further. Risky but demonstrative of a very sharp investigative mind.

Oliver and Chloe were fun as reluctant participants in Clark's ruse, and Oliver got the best line of the episode when pointing out that Clark got a bonus when he impersonated the Green Arrow as a ruse. The Jimmy save with the flowing cape looked ridiculous because it was so much slower than the RBB rescue, but it somehow worked. A bit dark at the end though with Chloe using the Brainiac influence to overload Sebastian's brain and cause him to flatline. Protecting Clark's secret or something more?

Finally, the Clois. Plenty of sexual tension at the Talon with her asking him to zip up her dress. She certainly enjoyed that moment and revelled in his discomfort. He was trying to tease with the "who's the unlucky guy" remark but even that came off as tentative, perhaps because he was still focussed on dealing with Jimmy's inquisitiveness. Either way, Lois was enjoying playing with him. He even answered nervously when she asked him about how she looked. No doubt he thought she looked great because she totally did.

Her fight with Sebastian looked brutal, especially when he slammed her through the table. It was telling that she thought to call Clark first. It's like he's subconsciously the first port of call when in trouble and as Jimmy pointed out, he's somebody that can be relied upon. In fact, that was an underlying theme in this episode. Jimmy verbalised it, but both Chloe and Oliver already know and now Lois seems to be getting there. Even Tess thinks there's something there although that's as much based on what she sees in him plus what she knows via Lex's records.

Just a note on the effects, but I really liked the effects used when Clark dealt with Sebastian in the apartment. The slo-mo of him seeing Clark's memories and looking astonished, followed by the punch that sends him flying at the same time as Clark superspeeds out of there, all captured from Lois' viewpoint (even though she didn't see it) was very artfully done. It made her subsequent baffled expression and next-day appreciation of the red and blue superdude stand out all the more. She knew she'd been saved by some unseen hero.

When the show is free of angst and recurrent themes that have long past their sell-by-date, it is still a top watch even now.

Comment

• Just a couple of noticeable errors in that last DP scene, and both involve mixing up left and right.

When Lois rolls into the shot on the chair, it's shown as left to right from her POV. The cut to Clark's POV shows her rolling into shot left to right from his perspective too, even though he's standing by his desk opposite her - so she's rolled in right to left from her POV. In my view, it didn't need the shot from her POV - just her comment (something about a pen that works) offscreen followed by Clark's POV of her rolling into the shot.

The second moment is when Jimmy asks Lois if she's seen the front page. The camera is positioned so she's got her back to it and we can see Clark and Jimmy standing beside his desk. Jimmy hands her a copy of the paper as she reaches over her computer with her left hand. When they show it from the other angle next to Clark, she's reaching over with her right hand and it's been edited as one fluid moment.

It seems these were missed by the director, the continuity editor and the main editor.

Comment

• One of the most important moments in the show's history. Clark may not have put on the suit or taken the name "Superman" for another two seasons, but this is the moment where he reveals himself to the outside world and people will know that the "Red-Blue Blur" and Superman are the same person. The "Red-Blue Blur" (later simply "the Blur") isn't the best superhero name of all time and it isn't supposed to. It's a temporary name, designed to be replaceable. If they had gone out and come up with a great superhero name, it wouldn't be as believable that he'd ditch that in favor of "Superman". In some versions, Clark becomes "Superboy", before becoming "Superman". But, that would be a weird name to give to a grown man.

Fun little callback to Clark posing as the GA in "Hydro". Overall an enjoyable episode.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎