No announcement yet.

Davis: "Jimmy?" Chloe: "No"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Inkpen23
    What is a leap of logic is to assume that she was talking about someone in her past when it's clear when she used the term "once" she was referring to *one time only with one person* .
    i'm not arguing that once means one time..obviously it does. nobody is arguing that she meant Clark because most think she did. the point is, there is nothing in the statement that specifically states that if she is referring to Clark, that she means now OR in the past. by trying to keep hammering away at this, you're circumventing cardinal rules of english grammar as it is taught in text books all over the world. once she establishes that it's Clark she is talking about, there is nothing that explicitly states whether this feeling is still active, or if it is in the past. if Jimmy were the answer that would not change, we'd simply take it to be active because they are getting married and are supposedly in love and because what is going on with the program would support it. as Clark is the answer, it MAY mean that she feels that way about Clark now..it MAY mean that she felt that way about him in the past and no longer does if we strictly go by the statement..it doesn't mean she absolutely does feel that way about him now and that is what she meant. that is simply incorrect. it's why they are using the tense they are using, because in this case the time frame is not specific..it's vague. trying to link Jimmy and Clark together really has nothing to do with it. it's also why we have to turn to other events and episodes on the show to establish whether we feel Chloe is still in love with Chloe NOW, to which people will undoubtedly draw their own conclusions. my logic is not a leap...it's taking the statement and interpreting it in the context of other statements and episodes of the show. the above is a grammatical fact and i know this because i've been teaching it for the past 7 years. Chlark may have a certain power in the world, but that does not include redrawing grammar rules of the english language.
    Last edited by meteor; 10-26-2008, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkpen23
      Yes it does. It means she has felt that way once *one time in her life with one other person*. She wasn't saying her feelings for that particular person are in the past and that she's over that person, she was saying she felt that way once *one time with one other person*. And I agree Davis assumes she was referring to Jimmy because she is marrying Jimmy AND because she said ONCE. Meaning *one time with one other person.* Davis assumed that once she was referring to was *ONE TIME ONLY WITH ONE PERSON AND THAT PERSON TO DAVIS WAS JIMMY*. Which meant, that when she said once she wasn't talking about past feelings she had. She was talking about sharing this connection *one time in her life with one other person*. And when Davis asked her about that *one other person* Davis assumed that *one other person was Jimmy because of the stated reasons above*. If Davis was asking her about someone in her past then he would have not assumed she was talking about Jimmy. But he assumed she was talking about Jimmy because she said once. Not once as in the past, but once as in *one time with one person*. What is a leap of logic is to assume that she was talking about someone in her past when it's clear when she used the term "once" she was referring to *one time only with one person* .

thanks for making that abundantly, and redundantly clear for those who may not have understood at once.
      You most definitely cleared that up once and for all.

Comment

IMO, Chloe was referring to how easy it was to once love (romantically) Clark, past tense. I think the last episode cleared up that she is over Clark.

Comment

She was obviously talking about Clark. She feels a level of closeness to Davis that is similar to what she feels with Clark. Jimmy is just out in the cold which makes it that much more stupid that she's engaged to him.

They're setting up a triangle between Clark/Chloe/Davis and a struggle for Chloe. The episode was a lot like Crush as others have mentioned, the only thing is that in Crush, they found out that Justin was the murderer. So far, no one gets that Davis is the real killer and that he has all those trophies of his victims.

I think Sam Witwer is an amazing actor because he is making me gloss over the fact that he's a killer, that he's coming on way too strong with Chloe, that he's hanging out in her office when she's not around and doing creepy things that should make him scary. I find it hard to get past the tears and the smiles to focus on the monster behind both.

Comment

Originally posted by tariksam
            Is this the part that we forget what happen in the episode before this one and pretend that this is the only episode from season 8?

Cause I am pretty sure it was more than clear Chloe is not in love with Clark anymore, therefore she is talking in past tense here.

And of course Davis would assume she was talking about Jimmy, for all he knows Jimmy is the only guy Chloe has been in love with, Davis doesn't know that Chloe was part of the "I love Clark" Club
            Totally agree. I was like "what???" to some of the other posts. She is talking past tense. Need she have said. I "used" to feel that way and by the way I mean "used to" in the past tense sort of way, hence the use of the "ed" at the end of "use". If passing the lie detector test, and handing Clark the letter and then telling him she was over that, and her surfacing feelings for Davis are not enough to convince the audience that she is really, truly and completely over Clark, I don't know what is. Isn't Chloe the best judge of her feelings? I would have thought the conversation with Chloe and Davis would have confirmed that she has an attraction to Davis that she is beginning to see might cause a problem for her and Jimmy.

Comment

Originally posted by JudasAce
              She was talking about the past, not the present. Everyone knows she was in love with Clark for a long time, this isn't anything new or surprising. Just because she isn't any more doesn't mean that she doesn't remember how she used to feel. But that's the key, it's "used to".
              I agree.

I think that after "Committed" they needed to have Chloe make a distinction between the way she loved Clark and the way she loves Jimmy. We could see that it didn't come easy with Jimmy but it's nice to here her say it.

This also... clues Chloe in to how... fast things are developing between herself and Davis. He's gotten quite a hold over her in a very short amount of time.

Originally posted by celita
              In my opinion this is Brian and Kelly's way to say us that Chloe is developing an unhealthy relationship with Davis just as she used to have with Clark, you know:

- Blind trust.
              - Leaving her own life apart for being with the guy.
              - Damaging her relationship with her couple and friends to support this guy.
              - Doing grey things for him.

She grew up from Clark because she wanted to be happy with Jimmy, but now she is making the same mistake with Davis, and she'll pay it, poor thing, you put your trust in the wrong person this time.
              I guess it could either suggest that her love for Clark and her developing love for Davis are "true" love. While her love for Jimmy needs re-examining. OR It could be as you suggest Celita, a warning flag for Chloe that something is not right here. To have this type of self sacrificing love for Davis with NONE of the history she has with Clark... is odd.

I can't wait to see how everything unfolds.

Comment

Originally posted by celita
                But Chloe doesn't have with Jimmy an unhealty obsesion like she used to have with Clark and like she is starting to have with Davis, what she feels for Jimmy is just love (and in Smallville obsesion is stronger than love like Lex said in "wrath"),so what Chloe feels for Jimmy is not like she feels for Davis or felt for Clark at all. I actually don't see how are some of you glad with this, Chloe is getting obsessed with a murderer.
                At least Chloe getting obsessed with a Murderer sounds FAR MORE interesting than all this Chimmy dribble that I keep reading about.

----- Added 5 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by LuthorKent90
                I don't see why they had to bring that up at all. Especially after all that was said in Committed.
                I wish they would stop with the back and forth, Chloe and Jimmy are not Clark and Lana!
                TPTB brought it up because THEY believe in that old saying......."There's a Sucker born every minute".................oh excuse me.....I meant "Chlarker".
                Last edited by CK&CK; 10-27-2008, 12:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Kalista
                  At this point, Davis doesn't view Jimmy as competition. He's been questioning their relationship since Toxic. So, when Chloe admitted that their relationship lacked emotional intimacy, he attempted to make a move by telling her how he felt. Jimmy is a non-issue to Davis.
                  I have to agree, from Davis brush off at Jimmy's joke (about her PDA) its clear that Davis isn't interested in why Jimmy wants to tag along. Davis isn't acting as though he'd like for Jimmy to dissapear (even cautioning him to stay out of the dangerous Shadow- monster occupied alley). Davis seems very confident that confiding to Chloe how he feels about her will tank the engagement.

Comment

Whatdid Chloe mean?

What did Chloe mean when she answered Davis's question about having felt that way about anyone else

Was is reffering to Clark

Comment

Originally posted by Level33Pnt1
                      What did Chloe mean when she answered Davis's question about having felt that way about anyone else

Was is reffering to Clark
                      Yes she was

Comment

cool!

Comment

There's already a thread about this:
                          http://www.kryptonsite.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=106007

Comment

she was referring to Clark.

Comment

The original question wasn't whether or not she was referring to Clark. Everyone pretty much agrees that she was referring to Clark. The question was whether or not the conversation with Davis is an indicator that she still does have feelings for Clark. Some people seem to think that she does (even though Chloe herself says that she does not), but I'm under the impression that she was speaking in the past tense about how she used to feel about Clark - like way back when. If there are any feelings surfacing now, the feelings are for Davis.

Comment

^I agree. Chloe is over Clark romantically.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎