Loved it? Hated it? What did you think?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i didn't like this episode. I mean who cares if chloe REALLY loves jimmy and Jimmy REALLY loves chloe. basically this was an episode where we get to see who loves who. what a waste.

Comment

• I loved the episode and give it a 9. I would have given it a 10 but when Lois said "yes" to loving Clark, I found this to be unbelievable. In the prior episode "Toxic" Ollie was poisoned and Lois said she couldn't hold up her end of the bargain either when she let Ollie go "To save the World". This told me she still had strong feelings for Oliver. Also, there has never been a defining episode (Season 6 she had Oliver, Season7 unfortunately she had Grant) where Lois considered Clark anything more than a friend. Being under the influence of magic or red-k does not count.

----- Added 18 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by DreadShamus
      9. While I absolutely loved this episode in almost every way possible! I have to remove one point because I'm not all that thrilled with how quickly Lois is suddenly in 'Love' with Clark. Its a little rushed for me, but I'm still loving every second of it.
      I agree (watch Seasons 6 and 7, Season 8 episode 3 "Toxic"). Lois still has feelings for Oliver. I think TPTB were trying to rush the Lois loves Clark relationship because they pretty much destroyed it in the last 2 seasons.

----- Added 32 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by stenochick
      I totally respect your opinion but offer the following for your humble consideration:

Lois and Clark have known each other four years now and even lived under the same roof for a spell. Lois has a bond with both of Clark's parents that no other character on the show has, not even Lana who Clark was in love since the first grade.

The way Clark and Lois "banter" with each other has been a cover-up for their mutual attraction for each other since they first met four years ago. I say this because they have always been this way with each other and are not this way with anyone else on the show, not even their ex's, Lana and Ollie. Ollie pointed this (the sarcasm masking underlying sexual tension) out to them in season six. Chloe sensed it in season four. Even Lana, in season four said that the "best ones always start out this way" regarding Clark's sheer annoyance at Lois.

For about a month now, Clark and Lois have been working side by side at the Daily Planet. They work long hours and go undercover investigating stories together that end up being really intense. Clark secretly and not so secretly rescues Lois on a regular basis. How many times can you swoop in and rescue a woman before you start to have feelings for her? Ditto, for the damsel-in-distress.

And, I am not even going to mention what these two look like because everyone on Smallville is drop-dead gorgeous, so in comparison, they are just slightly more attractive than normal.
      You're right about the banter between Lois and Clark (more so in Seasons 4 and 5, very little in season 6 and almost none in season 7). This banter did not indicate underlying love because Clark was gaga over Lana during this period. To me the Banter was more about becoming friends than lovers. This episode would have been more believable (Lois saying "Yes" to loving Clark) had we not seen episode 3 (Toxic) where Lois practically admits to making a mistake when she let Oliver go. She was crazy about Oliver and suddenly she now Loves Clark. IMO, you need to lay some groundwork for this besides friendly Lois and Clark banter.
      Last edited by jwalk3377; 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by Kal-ed
        People, have diferent reasons to love things and award them excellence, you may not agree but it doesnt make them any less valid.

See, first of all, all of us can vote, rate and like or love an episode as much as we want, secondly diferent reasons merit equal qualifications, We can give 10 to Rossetta cause Clark finally learns where he´s from, excellent performances, great fx and then give a 10 to Commited cause of the great dialogs, great acting, excellent direction and funny-lighthearted nature (specially after 1 and a half seasons of overwhelming angst), see two diferent reasons to award a ten non better than the other, take Titanic for example, it got as many OScars and awards as Ben Hur, can we actually compare them, in message, depth or intelectually?? No, but the context in which both played was also diferent.

I rated Commitment a 10, mostly because of Clark, sure I love Clois, no denying it, but even if all romance had been severed I would have still loved it, Clark using superbreath, Clark being chivalrous, heroic, supermanly, figuer´s things out on his own, smart, the way he got himself and Lois out of that sticky situation, with out needed the help of someone, being asertive, ALL his relationships were mature, not only about Lois but with Chloe and Jimmy as well, he saved the day with his thoughtfull speach, in general Clark, seemed more mature. But mostly I gave it a ten cause it showed me, that they are indeed Commited (pun intended) to this new direction they´ve taken with Clark, that I can indeed expect Clark at full hero mode from now on and that just like superman he will get himself out of trouble using his own wits, yes it´s been kind of a lightswitch, but is it the new showrunner´s fault?? Of course not, we are thankfull to AlMiles for creating the show but they dragged everything for too long, now here come 4 new producers who have 1, 2 season´s tops to put Clark where he´s supposed to be, its not that they are moving too fast with Clark and Clois, its that it had been stagnant for too long thanks to the previous showrunners, things had to be sped up, or time wouldnt have been enough.

ETA: I will no longer discuss this subject, as I just saw the mods had to intervene, how ever Im not editing out for two reasons, one, its not an attack towards anyone and two, I resent the implication that Im a simpleminded shipper, who only votes based on that and I need to make my point clear.
        I have to agree. The Lex, Lana, Clark triangle lasted probably 2 seasons to long and now the producers are playing catch up in hopes that they have enough time to bring Lois and Clark together as well as turn Clark into Superman.

----- Added 6 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by individuall
        I think he was 14...I because I'm pretty sure Clark's b-day is in the Spring...They celebrated it in S5 in the spring...And Lois said something about Clark finally being Legal in 'Apocalypse' (which also air in the spring time)...So I believe he was 14 going on 15...
        So he should be 21 going on 22...Like I said they made him a youngen for some reason...
        In S4 he was a senior in High School which would probably make him possibly 18 when he graduated. Now in S8 (4 years later), he could be 22 going on 23 depending on when birth date is.
        Last edited by jwalk3377; 12-23-2010, 12:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• the best

Comment

• LOVED IT!
            Purely for the Lois + Clark lie detector scene (ofcourse!)
            Totally awesome!

The intensity of that scene! Yeeeeeee-ha!
            Gawdayum Lois had me reeling!
            The way she delays the answer... Tears welling up... The barely audible three letter answer of 'Yes'... Clark's reaction

Really neat episode!
            Oh and the elevator scene!
            Goldddd!

<3

Comment

• Tollllllllie <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Comment

• One of those episodes which contains loads of spectacularly good moments. When you consider it has very little in the way of heroic action, the interaction between the characters more than makes up for it.

On the face of it, Oliver going to great lengths to woo Tess looks very odd. It is implied that they had a history (indeed, we saw some of it in Toxic) but clearly whatever happened stung Tess into being very icy towards him, even after he 'scratched her itch'. Word to the wise love, if you're itching down there, it might be an idea to get some Canestan on it! Oliver pretty much spent the entire episode in a state of dumbfoundedness.

Chloe and Jimmy have been hard to buy as a couple at times, but in this one they actually made some sense. Not because they passed a psycho nutjob's quiz, but because they finally aired their worries and hang-ups to each other. There is still a huge amount of stuff that Chloe is hiding from Jimmy, but you're still left with the impression that she genuinely loves Jimmy. How Jimmy felt about Chloe has never really been in question, even with his insecurities about her friendship with Clark.

The real glory in this episode is the interaction between Clark and Lois. They light up the screen every time they share screen time. And it is thus from the off as Lois drunkenly voices her doubts about the couple-to-be. Clark swiftly rescues the situation to deliver some more heartfelt words, but it's made clear that he'll have to do a lot of looking after Lois in this one. There's a lot of physical contact between them in this episode, and plenty of moments where one is revelling in the other's discomfort. When Clark lifts Lois off the chair, you can tell she loved that, so giddy was she.

The morning after scene is a treat. Lois wakes up at the Kent Farm hungover and wearing Clark's football jersey. She still looks gorgeous even though she apparently spent the night throwing up. Clark clearly found her drunken antics amusing, and loves toying with her when she doesn't want to outright ask whether they slept together. He did the exact same thing in Crimson, and he was toying with her then too. A few people on here have misread that moment as Clark being slow on the uptake but the exact opposite is true. They each know what makes the other uncomfortable and they love to play on it, as we see a little later. Clark knows he's got the edge on Lois here and he's going to enjoy teasing her about it. I like how the director got additional amusement from this scene with the way Lois looks at her dress and then back at Clark. She's facing Clark the whole time and turning her eyes from side to side while he has a huge grin on his face. The musical score adds to the fun.

The scene at the Talon apartment brings yet more brilliance as Lois completely owns the entire scene. From her "pants on" comment as she walks in, to the playfulness of throwing on the fluffy handcuffs to tease Clark about his shy awkwardness, and then the look of horror as she's listening to her drunken phone message and wishing the ground would swallow her up. Clark is slightly surprised but amused as he knows she found it embarrassing, but she quickly covers it with a snarky comment about alcohol poisoning. Even he has to laugh at her nerve.

The jewellery store scene is one of the funniest things in the series. Lois is so perky and excited playing the fiancée out ring shopping while Clark looks every bit as reluctant as he's feeling. She knows he'd rather be elsewhere so she keeps teasing him with the nicknames. His sarcastic retort of "muffin" and shoving the ring on her finger show how less than thrilled he is with this ruse because he's trying to play up the investigative role by asking questions to the jeweller. It also shows he's paying attention because he's the one who figures out who the kidnapper is. Lois' demeanour turns from teasing and excited to outright panic when Oliver walks in. Now she's throwing nicknames at Clark and imploringly looking at him to keep up the couple ruse because she's landed them right in it. Even thinking about Oliver's reaction brings a smile because he goes from thinking it's a joke to confused to absolutely baffled in double quick time. He looks like he needs a chair when they leave the shop!

Clark goes into detective mode after speaking to a safe Jimmy and Chloe at the Talon. He puts the pieces together and heads off to deal with the matter. Clearly, Kansas law enforcement isn't effective or reliable. Meanwhile, Lois manages to get herself kidnapped. She still gets a great line and comedy fall here.

The interrogation scene has so much intensity behind it. Lois being Lois can't help but point out that Clark trying to rescue her alone was a stupid move but you see from her behaviour that she's glad not to be alone, but frightened by their predicament. She expresses fear when told that the quiz will reveal what secrets they've kept from one another, and so much concern about the psycho hurting Clark by electrocuting him. That is a consistent theme in the series because no matter how much either claim to not like each other, no matter how much they tease and revel in the other's discomfort, neither of them like to see the other hurting physically OR emotionally. They are more intense when the other is in trouble. Lois is eventually forced into a confession and looks emotionally beaten when she thinks Clark's answer won't reciprocate what she's been forced to admit. I don't think she was admitting to being IN love with Clark by the way, more that she was acknowledging that he means an awful lot to her. She cares about him deeply.

That said, she is barely able to look him in the eye as he eventually rescues her, and he has some difficulty too because her admission is not something that can be swept under the carpet. Of course, she gets the opportunity to do just that when they are in the elevator at the DP. She was clearly avoiding him before that, and was at a loss for words when she brings up the test. He gives her an out and she gleefully rolls with, confusing the hell out of Clark even though he had to have seen the detector still attached to her finger when he rescued her. She then turns the discussion on its head by getting Clark to question how he might have responded to that question. It's clear he hadn't actually thought about it until now.

Something the writers have frequently made a point of showing is Lois' remorse at being in the wrong. She apologises to both Chloe and Jimmy for her lack of tact at the engagement party, and is clearly shocked that she could have behaved in such a way. She knows it wasn't right even if her misgivings were valid. Those misgivings didn't come out of the blue though because she has expressed similar views in private before. Chloe is right in that Lois should have talked to her first.

There are so many rewatchable moments in this episode and it's another example of how Clark and Lois are great on screen together.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎