Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eas
    Well, from what I've understood, the first half hour is measured at a point within the first 5 minutes of the episode. The last half hour is measured at a point about 5 minutes from the end of the episode. The reason they average it out is so that can measure who watched from beginning to end, in a manner of speaking.

So, really, I think that the viewers in the 2nd half hour are closer to the the "real" figures... because some folks don't tune in the first couple of minutes (right at 8:00, before the credits).

This is why Supernatural's ratings are usually higher in the first half than the second half... folks from Smallville carry over into their ratings and beef up the first half.

This is why every network's toughest call is what show will lead their prime-time. The show that gets the 8:00pm slot is usually the one they have the most confidence in, because they believe that it'll have generate enough interest with viewers to carry over to the other shows.

Of course, as Tivo/DVR usage increases, the networks are finding that viewers have less of a tendency to just stick with one channel throughout the night. So, they're scrambling to figure out ways to get around that. That's why you see a lot of them do things like 'go over" by 1 or two minutes into the next hour. That allows them to grab ratings for an episode of Show B, even though those are viewers who were watching Show A. It artificially inflates the ratings and allows them to charge more for advertising. NBC was very bad about this. And, now, so is ABC.
    Wow, thanks for the in depth breakdown! I never knew how TV ratings worked. This pretty much explains everything I've always wondered about. There is one thing I'm confused about tho.....Does that mean people have to watch all the way through the end credits for their viewership to count in the ratings?

Comment

Any sort of upward trend in the ratings for a show in its Eighth season is exceptional. Smallville might not get the gender age specific demos that Dawn covets but it is still the highest rated show on the CW.

Comment

If Season Eight stays at 4 million or higher, I am very sure a ninth season will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin24
          Wow, thanks for the in depth breakdown! I never knew how TV ratings worked. This pretty much explains everything I've always wondered about. There is one thing I'm confused about tho.....Does that mean people have to watch all the way through the end credits for their viewership to count in the ratings?
          Yes, it could very well mean that. That's why -- I don't know if you've noticed - a lot of the networks use the credits part to do "next week's previews". They'll scrunch up the credits to one side (either below or on the side) and use the rest of the screen to give either a preview of the upcoming show, or a preview of the next week's episode. This helps prevent folks from switching over "too early" and helps them two ways: 1, folks may carry-over into the next show more easily and (2) they'll make sure they get those folks in the second half hour ratings calculation.

----- Added 1 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by 6-Super-Man -5
          If Season Eight stays at 4 million or higher, I am very sure a ninth season will happen.
          IF Welling agrees to stay on. Given the numbers we're seeing, I have no doubt that the CW will give them S9 and I have no doubt that PS3 want a S9... but, honestly, it's about what Welling wants, at this stage.

----- Added 2 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by JAMHEXXX
          Any sort of upward trend in the ratings for a show in its Eighth season is exceptional. Smallville might not get the gender age specific demos that Dawn covets but it is still the highest rated show on the CW.
          Yeah, I'm rather amazed at this season's ratings. I think that "SV" is exceeding everyone's expectations and I can't imagine that D.O. will turn a blind eye to it. The woman's a moron, but can she be THAT much of a moron?

----- Added 3 Minutes later -----

Originally posted by 6-Super-Man -5
          Yes we're still in the 4 millions, too bad Lois isn't in "Prey."
          I wanna see some awkward talks between them, talking about their relationship... well there is always the remaining episodes I guess...
          I never thought I'd say this, but I'm kind of glad that Lois isn't in "Prey". After these two last "heavy Clois" episodes, I feel like we need a break (and so does Clark LOL) and we need to focus a bit on Davis and what's going with him & some other arcs... I'm ready to take a step back and just let Clois sit on the back burner for a bit. So, I think that PS3 were actually pretty smart to keep Durance out of the next one.
          Last edited by eas; 10-17-2008, 10:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Québec
            Considering many people had threatened to stop watching the show after "Instinct", it's impressive to see an increase on "Committed"
            When did that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by eas
              Yes, it could very well mean that. That's why -- I don't know if you've noticed - a lot of the networks use the credits part to do "next week's previews". They'll scrunch up the credits to one side (either below or on the side) and use the rest of the screen to give either a preview of the upcoming show, or a preview of the next week's episode. This helps prevent folks from switching over "too early" and helps them two ways: 1, folks may carry-over into the next show more easily and (2) they'll make sure they get those folks in the second half hour ratings calculation.
              That is the only reason I stay on during the credits because of the previews for the next epsiode. Is there any other reason to watch the credits other then for previews?

LOL, I'm sure some people like to see them but I'm not one of those people who appreciate credits unless something happens during or after them.

Thanks for the information on TV ratings. I learned something today thanks to you Eas

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                You think people tuned into "Committed" because of "Instinct"? You don't think that the promos for "Committed" had anything to do with it's success? Also, you thought that last week's episode was better than this week? To me, this week was just "Part Two" of last week's episode. The plot just carried over seamlessly and built one the story that began last week.

I can of see these two episodes like a "Part One" and "Part Two" kind of a deal.
                Committed didn't have the best promotion.It didn't even have a director's cut.I will explain to you my theory.I noticed a pattern last year when i started to pay notice to the ratings on a weekly basis.When an episode was good,the next episode would experience a spike in it's rating as a result.If the epidose was average then next episode's rating would drop even if it was better.I agree with you that Instinct and Committed felt like a two-parter,but personally i liked Instinct more.Not that i didn't like Committed.I think next week will be interesting.Since there will be no Clois it will a good chance to see how that relationship(in it's season 8 format) affects the ratings.

Comment

I'm SO happy the ratings went up!

have we got the finals in yet? Oh, I can't wait!

YAY SV!

Comment

So the real ratings are the average between the two half hours?
                    Originally posted by individuall
                    I'm SO happy the ratings went up!

have we got the finals in yet? Oh, I can't wait!

YAY SV!
                    Finals come out around 2:30 CST.

Comment

^Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                        I will explain to you my theory.I noticed a pattern last year when i started to pay notice to the ratings on a weekly basis.When an episode was good,the next episode would experience a spike in it's rating as a result.If the epidose was average then next episode's rating would drop even if it was better.I agree with you that Instinct and Committed felt like a two-parter,but personally i liked Instinct more.Not that i didn't like Committed.I think next week will be interesting.Since there will be no Clois it will a good chance to see how that relationship(in it's season 8 format) affects the ratings.
                        So, then, based on your observation, we should compare the ratings for "Abyss" and "Identity", as well as "Prey". Because "Abyss" is a non-Lois episode... and if the ratings are down, then you would say that it's because this one was bad. But, if "Abyss" is up, then it's because this one was good. However, if "Abyss" is UP and then "Identity" is DOWN, then the trend is that non-Lois episodes make the ratings go down for the NEXT episode.

Do I understand it correctly?

Committed didn't have the best promotion.It didn't even have a director's cut.
                        The DC, in my opinion, is not really advertising. It's for the hard-core fans. Anyone who cares enough to watch the DC is going to watch the episode. It doesn't affect ratings.

On the other hand, promos during the week on the CW *does* affect ratings, and they promoted the hell out of this episode. Everytime I watched the CW - 9 times out of 10 - they ran a Smallville promo. If it wasn't for this episode, it was one of the general "SV" promos... like the "Legends" one or the one about "Love". This is also, incidentally, the same amount of promotion they've given "SV" for all the rest of the episodes. They are also putting the "Smallville on Thursdays" text up during their other shows, starting from Mondays.

Even thought I dislike the CW and D.O. I have to (begrudgingly) admit that they've stepped up their "SV" advertising this year. Last year, it was almost non-existent... this year, it's pretty following the same patterns as their other shows.
                        Last edited by eas; 10-17-2008, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                          IF Welling agrees to stay on. Given the numbers we're seeing, I have no doubt that the CW will give them S9 and I have no doubt that PS3 want a S9... but, honestly, it's about what Welling wants, at this stage.
                          Yeah, but I hope Welling stays.
                          Anyways it's great to see the ratings go up, up and away!

Comment

I know this is a bit off topic, but I found it interesting.

Networks Get C3 Yearly Data, Fox, CW Improve
                            by Wayne Friedman, Thursday, Oct 16, 2008

Compared to last year's C3 numbers, Fox and CW are the most improved.

A day after commercial ratings were released by the TV networks for the first week of the new season, data has been released on how they fared versus last year's C3 ratings. Networks now have the first apples-to-apples comparison to last year's data--the first year that C3 was instituted.

For the first week, Fox and CW were the only two networks to improve in commercials ratings plus three days of DVR playback (C3) versus a year ago. As previously been reported, ABC still has the best score overall for C3 ratings against the most popular 18-49 viewer demographic--a 3.49 average rating--for the first week.

CW improved in virtually ever demographic, with a 14% gain among its key 18-34 demographic to a 1.3 rating. It also gained healthy numbers across 18-49 viewers: 9% to a 1.12 rating average, and even a 7% hike among 25-54 viewers to a 1.02 rating.

Good news for the CW which means good news for Smallville season 9.
                            Last edited by JAMHEXXX; 10-17-2008, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eas
                              I think that "SV" is exceeding everyone's expectations and I can't imagine that D.O. will turn a blind eye to it. The woman's a moron, but can she be THAT much of a moron?
                              Oh for the faith of a mustard seed where DO is concerned.

Comment

That is the only reason I stay on during the credits because of the previews for the next epsiode. Is there any other reason to watch the credits other then for previews?

LOL, I'm sure some people like to see them but I'm not one of those people who appreciate credits unless something happens during or after them.

Thanks for the information on TV ratings. I learned something today thanks to you Eas
                                Yeah, no one really sits around for credits... unless they're watching live TV and they're waiting for the next show to start or because they happen to stumble across it when they sit down for the following show. (For example, if I'm watching "Ugly Betty" and I'm just waiting for "Grey's Anatomy" to begin. Or, I'm addicted to "Grey's Anatomy" and I put on my TV a few minutes early, because I can't wait for GA to start... so I catch the end credits for "UB" even though I don't watch that show.)

Basically, networks realized that folks like you won't watch the credits unless they give you a REASON to watch it. Hence the whole "stay tuned for next week's previews after the break" trick that Fox uses at the end of "Bones". They're just trying to maximize the numbers straddling across two shows.

And, you're welcome. I'm a bit of a TV/movie junkie, so I love this stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎