No announcement yet.

Professor Stokes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor Stokes

I would love to see this character reintroduced in the WB version. Maybe played by David Selby or John Karlen. I liked that he is the descendant of Barnabas' servant Ben Stokes.

Ben was such an uneducated man, Barnabas teaches him to read and write. It is wonderful to show that his descendant is a very educated man. The paranormal field specialty is fun too, his ancestor was the servant of a vampire and he examines occult happenings.

Tori-Interesting on David Selby or John Karlen playing Professor Stokes.

Comment

Excellent idea Tori!
      David Selby or John Karlen would be a ideal Prof Stokes.
      Thayer David was priceless in the role. I am hoping Jerry Lacy will return as Reverend Trask in the 1795 sequence. He's another origional cast member that was a total gem. Barnabas's revenge of bricking up the evil witch-hunter in the Old House basement is one of my favorite DS moments!
      Last edited by Harrypr; 03-29-2004, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Harrypr

You're right, it would be great if Jerry Lacy would play Trask again. He's the best person for the part. And what fun it would be to see him do it.

Tori

Comment

Actually, I thought Roy Thinnes was even better as Trask than Jerry Lacy! Which is saying something!

I'm in favor of pretty much dropping Professor Stokes, because the cast looks pretty big already for a weekly show. In fact, it looks too big. The original was way fun and everything, but this show will have only one hour per week, instead of two and a half the original series had. Less time = Fewer characters.

Comment

ORGOCH: Hey! Ya got MY vote ta bring back Prof. Tokes! He's my kind a GUY!! Knows just how ta take a low and make it High!

Comment

I think the new version of DS should also bring back prof. Strokes. It would be great is David Selby played the part. But the character should be a part of the show.

Comment

ORGOCH: Well, ducklin', what other show would he be part a if'n he was already a part a DANK SHADOWS?

Comment

I'd like to see Prof. Stokes on the WB show but he'd probably be better on a reoccurring basis. Like if Barnabas and Julia would only go to him when they've dug themselves into a really deep hole.

Comment

I agree that Trask and Stokes are important characters. How can you do an 1795 storyline without Rev. Trask? They could be semi-regular characters and then they wouldn't be in the opening credits and would guest star when needed.

Comment

Stokes in a recurring role would were perfectly for me, kind of like Giles in the last two seasons of Buffy.

Comment

Originally posted by zahir
                        Actually, I thought Roy Thinnes was even better as Trask than Jerry Lacy! Which is saying something!

I'm in favor of pretty much dropping Professor Stokes, because the cast looks pretty big already for a weekly show. In fact, it looks too big. The original was way fun and everything, but this show will have only one hour per week, instead of two and a half the original series had. Less time = Fewer characters.

Yeah, I thought Thinnes was fabulous as Trask. You couldn't do much better than that...

I don't see any reason to entirely drop Stokes, though. he needn't be a regular character. He was around just enough to to serve a purpose before being killed off in DS91.

I also don't think you need to worry about less characters. DS91 did just fine in that area. Plus, really when you look at time, the original series didn't make very good use of it. The scripts were often very repetitive. They could have condensed quite a bit, but of course didn't cuz they had to stretch it out and fill 5 days.

Comment

Concerning Prof. Stokes (recurring role) I had a thought: Why not make Professor Stokes female? Kathryn Lee Scott or Nancy Barrett might be persuaded to join as a recurring character, Historian of the Occult. On the other hand, if Stokes is left male, Tori's suggestion of David Selby or John Karlen would be great Choices!!! Thayer David was so good as both Ben and Elliott Stokes. He was very talented and worked so beautifully with Julia and Barnabas. Having origional cast members do occaisonal roles would be such a treat......Harry

Comment

First, you want different storylines, but then you want original actors to be cast. I think they should use new actors for these roles. The other actors already had their time with DS. It's time for a "new" Dark Shadows.

Comment

Geez? Ever heard of mixing the new with the old? Diehard fans and fond memories of the original cast is what has kept DS alive for over 35 years. If the WB weren't nostalgic, do you think they would have resurrected DS or Lost in Space? In the awful 1998 Lost in Space movie (The script was bad, not the actors) The only saving grace were cameo apperances by Angela Cartwright, Marta Kristen, Mark Goddard and June Lockhart of the origional series. I loved seeing them again and hope the WB uses them as guest stars on the New Lost in Space too! I must admit that we are all entitled to our opinions, but I was frankly stunned that anyone would object to having origional DS cast members as either recurring characters or guest stars on the new 2004 series.....Harry
                              Last edited by Harrypr; 04-03-2004, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎