Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loved it? Hated it? What did you think of Angels and Monsters?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forgot to say how much the guy Merideth was with freaked me out. *shudder*

Comment

I gave it a 10, great episode, no real complaints. Clearly this volume is called Villains for a reason. Everybody is becoming somewhat villainous, or I guess more accurately, everybody's becoming "grey". People who were mostly good aren't so much anymore, and people (like Sylar) who were mostly bad aren't so much anymore. This is by far the darkest season yet. Anyway here are some of my thoughts about events in the episode:

Re: Hiro killing Ando

--Given how clearly out of character that was, there are really just two possibilities: 1)he didn't really kill him or 2)he plans on going back in time later to undo it

Option 1--With Hiro's ability, he could have stopped time and went thru some sort of plan with Ando to fake his death, then returned at the same instant he and Ando left. Meaning everything we saw was an act. Problem with this though is that we've seen that Speedy Girl isn't really affected by Hiro's ability, so she might have noticed if he tried something like that? Maybe she was in on it though. Hiro freezed time and only that black guy was affected. Speedy Girl has shown that she has a conscience and doesn't want to harm people, so all three of them could have been in on it to get Hiro "in". (Maybe Adam is in on it too...?)

Option 2--Hiro wants to learn everything he needs to about these guys, get more info about the formula thing etc, and then later he intends to save Ando and do things differently.

Re: Nathan & "Tracy"

--Is Nathan going to sleep with the whole family? Lol I don't understand why Nathan left his wife and children, and is sleeping with other women (did they provide a good explanation?). He pretends to be all about God and all, but these things don't perfectly mesh with that.

Re: Sylar, HRG & Claire
      --When HRG was talking about murdering Sylar, Sylar was shown looking at them but not being able to hear them. Huh? I thought he had super hearing? That was seriously stupid.

Re: Mohinder.
      --First they did the Fly thing, now they're doing the Aliens thing it looks like. lol

Re: Adam
      --I wonder why they never had Adam talk about his experience in the coffin. Most people don't read or care about the web comic I'm sure, so it seems sort of stupid on the show's part to neglect it like that. If we go just by the show, it appears like Adam was dead/sleeping the whole time, and then only just "awoke"/revived after the coffin was opened so that he could breathe again. The web comic tells it differently however.

Re: Pa Petrelli
      --It was predictable that he was still alive and that he would eventually be brought into the story. It was also predictable that he might be the "big bad" in charge of everything.
      Last edited by Xanderman; 10-15-2008, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Gave it an 8.

I agree with bout everything Xanderman said.

Mohinder: I still kind of see him like the guy in the 1st season 2nd episode of Smallville "Metamorphosis." He's doing almost the exact same thing as bug boy. Except we haven't seen him try to molt in the shower lol. Honestly for some reason when i was watching i forgot that Maya had powers and when she started doing the tears of death i was like "GO GET HIM MAYA!"

Nathan/Tracy: So guess Nathan is a wanna be lol. Daddy Petrelli was so ashamed of his power being a norm that he decided to give him powers...even then i wonder if he was still pissed that all Nathan could do was fly lol. So Mrs. Petrelli confirmed Tracy and Nikki's powers being given to them right? So wanna find out who else they gave them to.

Hiro/Ando: Prolly one of my favorite scenes was when Hiro kept putting Adam back in the coffin lol. Also i wonder if Adam's clothes are the same from when Hiro stuck him in there...need to check that out to see if the directors were that focused into detail. Even though Hiro was trying to rationalize himself to Ando about siding with Adam i think Ando was beginning to wonder about Hiro's moral compass. Sure he really was wondering when Hiro stabbed him in the chest...still isn't the end of Ando though...don't know why everyone thinks he killed him. You know he ain't dead...that's the lamest way to kill someone on the show...almost as bad as when Hiro stabbed Sylar at the end of Season 1 (still thought that was stupid). Also i thought the part where the fear feeding guy knockin Adam out and all still would have made some noise making Hiro and Ando least turn around and be like "Hey what's going on down there?" What are they deaf?

Sylar/HRG/Claire: Was glad to see Claire beginning to go back good again but then HRG had to come along and F everything up...mean i understand him wanting his family safe but he's bout retarded lol. And the Abyss dude (vortex guy) was so cool...mean his acting wasn't that great but i loved his power then when HRG told him to kill Sylar i was like "HOLY CRAP THAT WOULD WORK!" Was Sylar using his super-hearing? Mean he seemed to be reacting to what they were saying and started to go other there to stop him. So could he hear them or not? If not then i guess what the Company did to him in Season 2 really did take his powers away. But that can't be the case or he would have lost his telekinesis as well...i hate it when there's holes. Or maybe it just seems there is but they will explain it later...hope so.

Meredith: Looked like she was in a bit of a sticky situation. That guy seemed to have an interesting power...wonder just what exactly it is. Looked like whatever he did she was forced to do as well. But then he also got her to shut up when he shut his fingers. When he was about to tell her to kiss him i thought he was gonna make her strip or something...cause he looks crazy enough to do it.

Mrs. Petrelli: So i was wondering about her dream from episode 2 i think. She saw the fear feeder kill Claire and then Tracy, Adam, Murray, and fear guy come together. But then when Peter went into the future we saw Daphne was in the group and so was Claire and didn't even see Murray or Adam. Now in this episode i thought she was gonna have that same dream again from episode 2 but this one had it where i guess Peter killed Nathan and Tracy and then Peter was killed by Mr. Petrelli...less Mr. Petrelli killed them all.

Mr. Petrelli: Wonder just what exactly his power will be...was wondering how Murray was communicating with him but remembered Murray can read minds so of course he can communicate with him lol. Also i wonder why he is trying to get Adam's healing blood now instead of when the Company already had him captured in season 2. Or better yet why Linderman didn't heal him...but there could be dozens of possibilities with that. Also wonder how Mr. Petrelli got in that situation anyways.

Comment

i gave it a 8 because it was not the best episode but there are so many cliff hangers like what is going to hapopen to meridith will claire shoot her mom and is claire human is ando dead and the most important question i think of this whole volume who is a villan and who is not a villan!

Comment

Originally posted by XSE_Greystone
            Gave it an 8.

I agree with bout everything Xanderman said.
            Thanks, you know I was initially going to give it a lower score too but compared to last week's atrocious Smallville offering (about Maxima ie. the dumbest character ever imo), everything Heroes does seems like a 10. heh But seriously, this was a great ep it had me engaged the whole way through.

Was Sylar using his super-hearing? Mean he seemed to be reacting to what they were saying and started to go other there to stop him. So could he hear them or not? If not then i guess what the Company did to him in Season 2 really did take his powers away. But that can't be the case or he would have lost his telekinesis as well...i hate it when there's holes. Or maybe it just seems there is but they will explain it later...hope so.
            I think they just cheaply ignored that power for the purposes of that scene. Sylar should have all his abilities back now. But they showed him looking at them, their mouths moving but no audible sound coming out (which implies he could not hear them, since we were experiencing things from his perspective). I guess they're pretending superhearing never existed? And Peter should have it too of course, from Sylar. But when's the last time we've seen either of them use it? Because I can't really remember.

Meredith: Looked like she was in a bit of a sticky situation. That guy seemed to have an interesting power...wonder just what exactly it is. Looked like whatever he did she was forced to do as well. But then he also got her to shut up when he shut his fingers. When he was about to tell her to kiss him i thought he was gonna make her strip or something...cause he looks crazy enough to do it.
            Lol, I think he's got some sort of "puppetmaster" ability. They showed some wooden puppets in the room. Apparently he can control people's movements (or "pull their strings") by will alone.

Mr. Petrelli: Wonder just what exactly his power will be...was wondering how Murray was communicating with him but remembered Murray can read minds so of course he can communicate with him lol. Also i wonder why he is trying to get Adam's healing blood now instead of when the Company already had him captured in season 2. Or better yet why Linderman didn't heal him...but there could be dozens of possibilities with that. Also wonder how Mr. Petrelli got in that situation anyways.
            My guess is Pa (Arthur) Petrelli's power is similar to his sons' (Peter and Sylar), he probably also has multiple powers--since he's the "top dog" it would make sense. I mean Maury seemed freakin terrified of him right, lol. But then again, if he has a similar ability to Peter/Sylar then he probably shouldn't be ill, right...he should have acquired superhealing in his lifetime by now. And you just reminded me, that Adam being a prisoner thing in Season 2 seemed to be an obvious setup (to trick Peter), but they never revealed it as such. Apparently, Peter being put right next to Adam giving them an easy and obvious opportunity to communicate with each other WASN'T done on purpose?? How stupid were GoldGuy/Elle? That was all just stupid. It seemed obvious to me that Adam set it all up, like he wasn't really a prisoner, like he was secretly in charge/running the whole show. But nope. Very, very dumb writing.
            Last edited by Xanderman; 10-15-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderman
              I think they just cheaply ignored that power for the purposes of that scene. Sylar should have all his abilities back now. But they showed him looking at them, their mouths moving but no audible sound coming out (which implies he could not hear them, since we were experiencing things from his perspective). I guess they're pretending superhearing never existed? And Peter should have it too of course, from Sylar. But when's the last time we've seen either of them use it? Because I can't really remember.

Lol, I think he's got some sort of "puppetmaster" ability. They showed some wooden puppets in the room. Apparently he can control people's movements (or "pull their strings") by will alone.

When i was posting on another thread on here bout Sylar's powers or perhaps lack there of i forgot about when we see him in the future and he paints the future like Isaac and goes nuclear like Ted so he must have all his powers still.

Saw couple other people refer to him as the Puppet Master and i totally didn't catch that or the puppets in the room...mean i saw what looked kind of like dolls but it didn't register that they were puppets...love coming up with people from comic books that Heroes characters sound like. lol

Comment

And you just reminded me, that Adam being a prisoner thing in Season 2 seemed to be an obvious setup (to trick Peter), but they never revealed it as such. Apparently, Peter being put right next to Adam giving them an easy and obvious opportunity to communicate with each other WASN'T done on purpose?? How stupid were GoldGuy/Elle? That was all just stupid. It seemed obvious to me that Adam set it all up, like he wasn't really a prisoner, like he was secretly in charge/running the whole show. But nope. Very, very dumb writing.
                I don't think that they thought Peter was intelligent enough to escape, even with Adam in the next cell.

7/10 for me. Great reveals, great scenes, but too many flaws brought it down for me.

Most dissapointing was black hole guy. I got the fact that a black hole guy would be on the show spoiled for me, and I was uber-excited. And then they get the worst actor in the universe to play him and give him the most cliched backstory in the show's existence.

The Linderman reveal was boring. All this massive build up to who/what he really is, and then oh golly gee its Mr. Parkman again, that is so shocking.

Because they're doing everything in their power to strain the relationship between Hiro and Ando, I'm guessing that Hiro did not consult Ando before stabbing him. Which is idiotic.

Tracy continues to descend into boredom.

Mohinder...I have mixed feelings about now. It's interesting to see how his exuberance for science caused such a major downfall that in turn is causing a desperate obsession with that same science. Also the possibility of Mia dieing is always good.

Now that that's out of the way, the brilliance of the episode.

The opening narration was the best of the series. It wasn't self-pretentious, it wasn't cryptic, it wasn't stuffy. It was perfect. Nathan really has taken Mohinder's place as the center of the show. He's the driving force behind the evolution of the Heroes in total now, and he is their heart. It will be a shame if he abandons this role because of the synthetic-reveal.

Also, I really hope that Nathan is the cause of Arthur's downfall. I can just picture the seen:
                Arthur: You were always the weakest! You can do nothing!
                Nathan: No Pa. I can do this.
                Nathan takes hold of Arthur, flies into the stratosphere, lets him go. Camera shots mirror those used for the Nathan/Peter flight.

Adam was great, though no clarification on the dead debate was annoying.

HRG continues to be my favorite storyline on the show. One thing I noticed this week: Sylar's power doesn't work on him. Not once has he ever seen what HRG was planning coming. He can't decipher his motivations.

And the radio scene is one of the greatest character moments on the show. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Doctor
                  I don't think that they thought Peter was intelligent enough to escape, even with Adam in the next cell.
                  I still think that was a terribly written storyline. It seemed too cliche, too "obvious" to be what was actually really happening. But nope, they apparently placed Peter next to Adam unintentionally, where they were able to easily communicate and secretly plan an escape, right under the Company's nose. How could this not have been staged/a setup? So unbelievably dopey. This, along with Peter trusting Adam completely last season, even over people like Hiro, are without a doubt some of the dumbest writing I've seen on this series.

Because they're doing everything in their power to strain the relationship between Hiro and Ando, I'm guessing that Hiro did not consult Ando before stabbing him. Which is idiotic.
                  I still think it was all staged/an act, meaning he was definitely consulted first. It was too out of character to be anything else. Either that, or Hiro did it with the intention of saving Ando later as I said above. My guess is Hiro, Ando, Daphne, and possibly Adam, are all working together. (The conclusion you drew because of their strained relationship is probably exactly what they want the audience to believe. But I'm not buying.)

Also, I really hope that Nathan is the cause of Arthur's downfall. I can just picture the seen:
                  Arthur: You were always the weakest! You can do nothing!
                  Nathan: No Pa. I can do this.
                  Nathan takes hold of Arthur, flies into the stratosphere, lets him go. Camera shots mirror those used for the Nathan/Peter flight.
                  "No Pa. I can do this." haha

And the radio scene is one of the greatest character moments on the show. Ever.
                  What scene was that again?

Comment

I still think that was a terribly written storyline. It seemed too cliche, too "obvious" to be what was actually really happening. But nope, they apparently placed Peter next to Adam unintentionally, where they were able to easily communicate and secretly plan an escape, right under the Company's nose. How could this not have been staged/a setup? So unbelievably dopey. This, along with Peter trusting Adam completely last season, even over people like Hiro, are without a doubt some of the dumbest writing I've seen on this series.
                    I think it went more like this:
                    Elle: Hey dad. That earthquake guy we placed next to Adam....
                    Bob: Yes?
                    Elle: I had to kill him. Adam convinced him to try to escape.
                    Bob: You killed him? Elle! No tv for you for a week!
                    Elle: Aw, dad, I didn't kill any of the other inmates this time!
                    Bob: Well, I suppose you're right. How many rebellions is that now? 70?
                    Elle: 75.
                    Bob: Who the heck can we put next to him that won't be able to escape?
                    Peter: Dur you guys make me no go splodey?
                    Bob: Perfect!

Also maybe Arthur was subtly manipulating the situation.
                    I still think it was all staged/an act, meaning he was definitely consulted first. It was too out of character to be anything else. Either that, or Hiro did it with the intention of saving Ando later as I said above. My guess is Hiro, Ando, Daphne, and possibly Adam, are all working together. (The conclusion you drew because of their strained relationship is probably exactly what they want the audience to believe. But I'm not buying.)
                    I direly hope you're right. Adam/Daphne/Hiro/Ando conspiracy is so much better than more Ando-Angst.

What scene was that again?
                    The one where Sylar keeps changing the radio station.

Comment

After hearing many complaints from many people and Justin McElroy disown the series for its stupidity on the Joystiq Podcast, I finally watched "Angels and Monsters." I will need time to think about whether I can continue watching this show. I imagine Heroes is written by a gathering of young teens who just found an interest in creative writing and think every idea of theirs is amazing. "OK, now let's make Sylar a good guy! I want Sylar Underoos and they only make Underoos of good guys. Mommy, I need more juice!"

I heard about Hiro's betrayal all throughout the week and pictured it as a dramatic, sudden turn. How it actually happened was far from dramatic or sudden. The action felt foreign to Hiro's character. Sylar's transformation to hero has been way too quick and little explained. It makes little sense how he's suddenly an empathetic, friendly person with an innocent aura about him. Mohinder's character went awry soon as he craved powers when his character never once hinted a want for powers. Why should I pity Angela Petrelli? Well, other than how the writers try to force situations where we should offer sympathy. It's just not going to happen, especially when she elaborated the Company's, and her, involvement in experimenting on humans, including her family.

Oh, and then there are the other deaths and return of Arthur "Mister" Petrelli. Jesus stripper pole Christ.

This series is a mess. This episode jumped sharks. Many of them. A cavalcade of sharks. An army of sharks in frilly, puffy white shirts and ass-less chaps puffing a cigar. No, three cigars. That's how broken this show has become. Someone needs to get a gun and have the courage to do what's right. This show needs to be put out of its misery.

Oh, and Parkman totally manipulates Daphne into being his wife. There's no way Porkman could do it otherwise.

Comment

The buildup to an Arthur Petrelli return has been extremely obvious for some time now.

Sylar's conversion was foreshadowed in Season 1, and may have been helped along by a long postulated side to Mrs. Petrelli's powers.

The reasoning for Angela Petrelli being unsympathetic reeks of moral absolutism.

And yes, Hiro and Mohinder, previously the shows heart and center, respectively, have horrible storylines this go around.

Comment

I think it went more like this:
                          Elle: Hey dad. That earthquake guy we placed next to Adam....
                          Bob: Yes?
                          Elle: I had to kill him. Adam convinced him to try to escape.
                          Bob: You killed him? Elle! No tv for you for a week!
                          Elle: Aw, dad, I didn't kill any of the other inmates this time!
                          Bob: Well, I suppose you're right. How many rebellions is that now? 70?
                          Elle: 75.
                          Bob: Who the heck can we put next to him that won't be able to escape?
                          Peter: Dur you guys make me no go splodey?
                          Bob: Perfect!
                          LOL
                          I direly hope you're right. Adam/Daphne/Hiro/Ando conspiracy is so much better than more Ando-Angst.
                          Ando-Angst, ha ha....
                          The one where Sylar keeps changing the radio station.
                          Damn for some reason I can't remember that scene....that's what I get for watching it live instead of dvr'ing it I guess.

Originally posted by Yuui
                          Oh, and Parkman totally manipulates Daphne into being his wife. There's no way Porkman could do it otherwise.
                          LOL (funny review by the way)
                          Last edited by Xanderman; 10-19-2008, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎