PDA

View Full Version : Should Smallville have been set in Smallville

Fenrir767
07-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Well I'm not sure how many people here are familiar with some of the other versions of the origins of Superman that have cropped up over the years such as the one of Superboy prime that was used in the recent series Superman Identity. For those that need to familiarize themselves with it I ask them to refer to this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superboy_Prime

My Questions is why use Smallville Kansas for this show when the show has become a teen drama. Part of the reason Superman is such a boyscout is because he is from Smallville the breadbasket of America and for his entire life he was raised on good wholesome american smalltown values. Now that is not the smallville that is depicted in the show. Which is why I wonder why they didn't change the script and setting a bit. It would have made more sense to update many things for the show. Anyhow I was just wondering how many other peole thought this would have worked better.

hassenmorad
07-16-2006, 12:28 AM
You don't think Smallville is a place where Clark has been "raised on good wholesome American smalltown values?" I sure do. The Kents are the prime example of the good 'ol smalltown American family. However, I do think it would have been better if Smallville wasn't in Kansas merely because Metropolis shouldn't be in Kansas.

InLove_with_Chloe
07-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Technically, it's set in Canada...;)

lilkoolmaria
07-16-2006, 06:14 AM
I like that it's set in Smallville. Well, it was anyway. Now it's a cross between that and Metropolis.

HalJordan4184
07-16-2006, 07:22 AM
this Clark Kent definately is not getting raised on good ole fanshion small town values.

He doesn't even live in a small town. He lives in the sixth largest city in Kansas. The population of his town, is as big as the population of mine. And i don't live in some small secluded farming community, with only one main street, and virtually nobody around.

lilkoolmaria
07-16-2006, 08:05 AM
You have a point.

Pesk
07-16-2006, 09:20 AM
But wouldn't it be impossible to make it an interesting show if its set in a tiny town full of nothing but farmers and ma & pa stores? If making smallville a small city is what it takes to make it a better show then so be it, and if that changes the superman story, well its a small price to pay.

last man of krypton
07-16-2006, 10:39 AM
It's not totally impossible. Who wouldn't want to watch what happens if Farmer John got covered in Kryptonite-infested manure? :D

lilkoolmaria
07-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Lol ^^. No, I think it's fine as it is.

HalJordan4184
07-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Pesk, that's what Smallville is trying to say it is. They are rpetending it is some kind of small secluded town, with one street, that has only small mom and pop stores, and farms with neighbors like five miles away. I'm trying to figure out where the 45001 people that live there, actually stay.

lilkoolmaria
07-16-2006, 12:47 PM
That doesn't have to be were Clark grows up. I mean, so what if the town is a little bigger than the small secluded area they're trying to show.

HalJordan4184
07-16-2006, 02:49 PM
What do you mean that doesn't have to be where Clark grew up. He lives in Smallville, which proudly boasts it's 45001 residents. The town on the show isn't just a little bigger than the usual Smallville, it's freaking huge compared to it. The Smallville Clark Kent has always been from, is a small secluded farming town, with like 800 residents. Not the meteor capital of the world, just three hours from one of the countries largest cities.

lilkoolmaria
07-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah, so basically the only problem is that the Smallville in the show has way, way more people than the Smallville in the comics or movies.

MidgardDragon
07-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by HalJordan4184
What do you mean that doesn't have to be where Clark grew up. He lives in Smallville, which proudly boasts it's 45001 residents. The town on the show isn't just a little bigger than the usual Smallville, it's freaking huge compared to it. The Smallville Clark Kent has always been from, is a small secluded farming town, with like 800 residents. Not the meteor capital of the world, just three hours from one of the countries largest cities.

Wait, are you trying to say that in the show they claim 45,001 residents? Or that a real town called Smallville boasts that many residents. If it is the latter, remember, just because something shares a name doesn't mean they're trying to say it's the same place. Any real Smallvilles wouldn't have major meteor showers full of kryptonite, either.

torinoblue
07-17-2006, 04:11 AM
In the pilot I think they had 45001 as the modern population. That was a bit of a mistake, but I think they have to justify Smallville having a hospital and all the other crap it has.

Metropolis is too close. It's clearly on the East coast in the current movie, but it bounces around. I think it was in central USA in 'Lois and Clark', but maybe I am wrong.

MidgardDragon
07-17-2006, 04:13 AM
Nah, I think the Lois and Clark Metropolis was on the coast too. I seem to remember there being a pretty big distance betweeen Metropolis and Smallville in that series.

HalJordan4184
07-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Metropolis has pretty much always been on the east coast. There was a time when it could be argued that it was based off of Cleveland or Toronto, but predominantly, it's been a coastal city.

And yeah, the show claims Smallville has 45,001 residents. Heck, in the Pilot, before the population boom, they had 25,000.

Also, they don't need to justify a hospital. Smalltowns have Doctors, and medical centers. What they don't have, is giant, ultra modern care facilities, and multi wing healthcare centers with like five floors.